• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While playing the Spiderman PS5 remaster, I noticed a strange thing where the doors seemed far bigger than Peter's model. This was more noticeable whenever Peter enters his lab, as it's one of the few moments where you play Peter Parker and not Spiderman, and there's an animation that always happens of Peter scanning his card and entering the lab. Below is a screenshot from a video of the PS4 version that shows the size difference as he's entering the lab area:

3OuDKbE.png

This reminded me of the infamous asset quality of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, where the asset creation was outsourced to a different company and resulted in many objects being overly big compared to the protagonist:

OAdO6cC.jpg

Did this disturb anyone else when playing the game? And are there any other games were you felt the assets were either too big or too small compared to what they were supposed to be?

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt that in GTA 3 and Vice City all objects while indoors are a little bit too small for the protagonist. Outside is fine.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed Xenoblade on Wii, but when I played the DE on Switch I felt like I was traveling on huge 3D models of places instead of an expansive world. Nothing felt quite natural.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the first time went inside a person. The head was huge.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I always tought some things look weirdly big in TLOU like stairs and doorways. Maybe it's becaus eit's a TPS and it's less problematic for the camera?

OP
OP
Zeroth

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always tought some things look weirdly big in TLOU like stairs and doorways. Maybe it's becaus eit's a TPS and it's less problematic for the camera?
In some games this might be intentional, as it gives players more room to maneuver. The situation with Lords of Shadow 2 makes me thing the original assets were actually realistic originally, but since they left little room to move around, the developers shrinked the player character.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Was it just me that thought OP said "asses" I spent a few secounds checking out Spidemans ass and couldnt see anything wrong with it. Perfectly firm well exercised

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Was it just me that thought OP said "asses" I spent a few secounds checking out Spidemans ass and couldnt see anything wrong with it. Perfectly firm well exercised

You mean the same title that also said "AKA are doors this big in real life?" directly after that and then has a paragraph explaining explicitly what he means above that picture? Yeah, it was probably only you lol

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
You mean the same title that also said "AKA are doors this big in real life?" directly after that and then has a paragraph explaining explicitly what he means above that picture? Yeah, it was probably only you lol
I have a habit of only half reading things. Once I read asses I was in

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
You know. A standing NPC. In some game you can kinda clip inside their head basically by just walking near them. Then the insides of their head (inverted face texture or what ever) fill the whole screen. I remember this happening the first time and I was like WTF. Not what OP was after I guess, but a vivid memory from past.

OP
OP
Zeroth

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lab! The door is big because lab equipment has to go into/out of it.
That will help me sleep tonight, thank you. I could make an argument that the building door in the picture posted *shouldn't* also be that big, but I understand developers are not going to spend their resources modeling multiple doors.

TalkingToast

Oct 29, 2017
The only examples that come to mind are in RTS's like Warcraft 3 where a tauren chieftan is straight up the same size as an Orc Burrow, which is supposed to be like a fortified dwelling that can fit multiple people inside it. Totally makes sense why this was the case for gameplay reasons, though. The examples from the OP and that Khanimus posted from I think Deadly Premonition are amazing and hilarious though. Thanks for this thread OP

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
I remember reading an old article on Gamasutra on the design choice for bigger scale environment objects than the player model for Max Payne. Nvm found the article.

z4fEfBy.png

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Donkey Kong 64 environments always felt slightly too big for the characters, it's like the entire game is Big Small World from SM64.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 are the undisputed king of this, IMO. Look, a small staircase and a ledge.

KpxPGlA.png

Nope, it's HUGE.

NX3R58g.png

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Z9LwxB1B4IIz9vz0qcJfWtrV2OoHA8RVcroDN2xggMs.jpg

The cars in Arkham Origins were so off
This only happen during Firefly boss fight while Batman is moving. If you stop moving, car will turn to normal size.

Basically what happen is they were trying to make it looks like the camera is pulling away when Batman is running making him looks like he moves super fast. But for some reason the asset doesn't shrink.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The doors in Days Gone are gigantic. Obviously intentional to help with the camera but I feel like there's a better solution to this by simple pulling to camera in closer or something.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Control is doing this to me now; the rooms are huge with mile high ceilings, tons of empty space, and doors that just seem out of proportion with everything else. It feels like playing an older game, like im playing Half Life or Quake 2 or something. It doesnt feel too distracting during combat, and some places are quite detailed. But during calmer times in the levels where you are just walking around exploring, that is when it is noticeable.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This is done on purpose I forgot the exact reasoning behind it. It's really noticable in FFXV (for example the diners).

Edit: I see tauke posted a reference.

Yeah, it's basically cuz you don't have as minute of a control over yourself with controller/keyboard vs doing it yourself with your own muscles. Like you can't step or circle thigns very carefullly or other dozen of perfetly natural movements we can do on daily basis, so you'd just keep getting stuck n everything and wiggling through every obstacle. And camera would clip into everything.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's basically cuz you don't have as minute of a control over yourself with controller/keyboard vs doing it yourself with your own muscles. Like you can't step or circle thigns very carefullly or other dozen of perfetly natural movements we can do on daily basis, so you'd just keep getting stuck n everything and wiggling through every obstacle. And camera would clip into everything.
Yeah, that makes sense to me.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Pretty much all third person games are like this. The vents in Batman games strike me as comically huge.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was ever corrected. But in Star Trek online you can go to the bridge of your ship and it's MASSIVE. Looks really wierd. At least three times bigger than in the shows. Scale is all wrong.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
You know. A standing NPC. In some game you can kinda clip inside their head basically by just walking near them. Then the insides of their head (inverted face texture or what ever) fill the whole screen. I remember this happening the first time and I was like WTF. Not what OP was after I guess, but a vivid memory from past.
That's realistic though. If you put your head inside another person's head, the inside of their head will completely fill your vision.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I remember reading an old article on Gamasutra on the design choice for bigger scale environment objects than the player model for Max Payne. Nvm found the article.

z4fEfBy.png

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

This isn't very clear, are the two top pictures supposed to be real life scale? Max's head is almost touching the ceiling, how is this realistic (unless it's a basement)?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was ever corrected. But in Star Trek online you can go to the bridge of your ship and it's MASSIVE. Looks really wierd. At least three times bigger than in the shows. Scale is all wrong.
It won't be corrected unless they get a better camera system... presumably one that won't implode when multiple players stand next to each other on a ship's bridge or whatever the main issue with MMORPG cameras is.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It won't be corrected unless they get a better camera system... presumably one that won't implode when multiple players stand next to each other on a ship's bridge or whatever the main issue with MMORPG cameras is.
It's also why important NPCs in MMORPGs are always gigantic. You need to be able to see and click on them, even when 100 other players are trying to do the same.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't very clear, are the two top pictures supposed to be real life scale? Max's head is almost touching the ceiling, how is this realistic (unless it's a basement)?

Almost touching the ceiling? That's at least 1/2 of the character model distance between his head and the top of the top right image. How is that not realistic?

I think maybe you just made their point, haha.