• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I just realized how this is a fairly common trope, and I'm not sure why.

I'll give some examples in any case

Super Metroid: The ship at the beginning

Mega Man Legends: The unidentified ruins with the large robot

Majora's Mask:The unknown land that transitions to Termina(Hyrule?)

Most Mega Man X games: The brilliant intro stage(No video for this one!)

*Metroid Prime: While it is technically possible to return to the Space Pirate Frigate, it is not in the state you initially visited it in

Please post any games that fit this description that you can think of

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Terranigma, I think? Although in that one it would be weird if you could go back.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This probably applies to multiple Mega Man X games, but I specifically remember Mega Man X5 having an opening stage before you get to the standard stage hub. It serves as a bit of a tutorial, and I'm pretty sure you can't go back there.

OP
OP
zMiiChy-

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Brave Fencer Musashi: It's been a long time since I've played this so I could be wrong, but I believe you can return to any areas that comprise the intro sequence

*Final Fantasy 7: You return to Midgar exactly once, at then it subsequently gets destroyed!

*Super Mario Galaxy: This is a really cool example - the reward for 100% completing the game is one final level that is actually a celebratory return to the starting one!

**Metroid Prime 3:
You return to the G.F.S. Olympus exactly once, then it subsequently becomes inaccessible
*The 3 Phazon cocoons are also destroyed

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Kingdom Hearts (the non-corrupted version of Destiny Islands specifically)

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
If areas you can revisit in a different state counts, then Zanarkand of FFX should count.

Also, the intro level of Starbound should you decide to play it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does the first Ratchet and Clank count for this?

The final planet is your home planet, Veldin, which is where you start the game, but due to story events it is vastly different now that Chairman Drek brought the De-Planetiser and his army along to the planet.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
MapleStory. In fact there are islanders who refuse to leave the island and level with low-level mobs.

There's a few MMOs I know that have tutorial islands. Tibia and Ragnarok are two other examples. in Tibia they even made a second tutorial island to replace the really old one. But you can still go there if you want.
They actually mostly took out Maple island from the game. But maybe you can still go in there if you really want to?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Halo Infinite is a good example. You can ultimately explore everything, except the first mission on the ship. It's a dope mission but it makes sense narratively

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Ninja Gaiden 2004/Black/Sigma. Most of the game is interconnected barring the first 2 missions.

Even then, only the very first mission is inaccessible iirc as you loop back through the village part towards the end of the game for the dragon sword.

And then in NG2 you get to do those two missions kind of in reverse lol.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Recently played Ratchet & Clank: Drift Apart, and I believe it qualifies. The game has collectibles scattered throughout, and ways to get back to ones you may have missed, but the linear parade route at the start of the game is an exception. No way (or need) to get back, although you do revisit the planet it's on at the end.

The first Jak & Daxter is similar, I guess? And probably some other Ratchet games (e.g. Into the Nexus) as well.

Karl Havoc

Dec 10, 2019
Brooklyn in The Division. I started a new character after spending way too many hours in that game, just so I could revisit snowy Brooklyn in the opening hour or so. (After the tutorial you are transported to Manhattan and pretty much stuck there.)

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Does the first Ratchet and Clank count for this?

The final planet is your home planet, Veldin, which is where you start the game, but due to story events it is vastly different now that Chairman Drek brought the De-Planetiser and his army along to the planet.
Actually Veldin is mostly the same, though at the start of the game you only get to see the first part of the level. The sequels do definitely count though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Secret of Mana, once you've completed the opening section and first boss, you cannot return to Potos Village.

Fallout 3 is an interesting one:
Once you leave the Vault at the start you can't return... except for one mission partway through the game. After that's finished, once again the vault is inaccessible

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Dying Light 2, even has two collectibles (required for trophies / achievements) in the starting area you can never collect again (unless the upcoming New Game+ doesn't skip that area).

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think you can go back to the giant turtle in the pandaren origin in WoW