• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
y6GXtVt.jpg

fxN3SV4.jpg

Good luck with that bus route, mate.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is a meme in Spain because it's nothing like Spain and people in the game have a very strong Mexican accent.
RE4 is comically bad in that regard and would have been cancelled a hundred times over if the target was set in a different country . It's like the game is set several centuries in the past.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
It is a recurring plot point in Heavy Rain that the murderer leaves their victims' bodies in vacant lots, like the kind that are abandoned or half finished construction sites.

It becomes extremely confusing when every single member of this supposedly American cast keeps referring to the bodies found in "wastelands."

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is a meme in Spain because it's nothing like Spain and people in the game have a very strong Mexican accent.

The weirdest thing is that the Ganados enemies do have some very specific 'Spanish from Spain' phrases such as 'Cojedlo' that they often shout out even though they're very clearly Mexican actors doing the voices. Then there's the character of Luis Sera dressed like a Tejano gunslinger in rural Spain.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The bit on MW3 with the family in London where in the same scene there are like two pubs, a red phonebooth, a red postbox, the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, black cabs, red double deckers, lampposts from the Victorian era, and Union Jack flags everywhere.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's funny, but in the game SOMA by frictional games, the main character is from Toronto... and to anyone outside of SW Ontario, sure it's believable.

But anyone in SW Ontario/Ontario in general would notice immediately the character saying "To ron toe" instead of "Ch ran to" or "Ch ran no". that, they aren't from Toronto or even surrounding areas

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Heavy Rain, man. Aside from a bunch of the cast having a not quite right accent, I could not find the plates for the life of me to set the table at the beginning of the game. The wife says they're in the "living room cupboard," which is already weird as hell. So I was looking around the living room and couldn't find anything. Then I went into the kitchen to try cupboards there, because that's the sensible place to keep dishes. But it turns out they're in the buffet in the dining room right next to the table. Which... isn't in the living room or a cupboard. And also isn't a place I've ever seen a single person in America keep their dishes. Confusing.

Came here just to say Heavy Rain.

Like it's painfully obvious Quantic Dream weren't able to understand American culture. From the terrible accents, the fact that they called a junkyard a "wasteland", the doorknob for Shelby's apartment being right in the centre of the door, Shelby just having 2 loose eggs in his fridge with no carton lol.

Thankfully they got a lot better at it in Beyond Two Souls & Detroit

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Dunno if it was mentioned, but Death Stranding is like the ultimate example of it.

Death Stranding takes place in a post apocalyptic USA.

Who knew that an apocalypse would make the USA look EXACTLY like Iceland?

Thing is though, I have to assume Kojima knows his America from Death Stranding doesn't look like the real America whatsoever. What made him go 'fuck it, I'll stick with naming it America', I wonder...

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Life is Strange due to Blackwell Academy. I don't know if the developers based it off a real private school but it sure doesn't feel like an actual U.S. school. Let alone one in a small coastal town that is collapsing economically.

Nov 17, 2017
It's funny, but in the game SOMA by frictional games, the main character is from Toronto... and to anyone outside of SW Ontario, sure it's believable.

But anyone in SW Ontario/Ontario in general would notice immediately the character saying "To ron toe" instead of "Ch ran to" or "Ch ran no". that, they aren't from Toronto or even surrounding areas

I say and hear it more as "Traw na" instead of "Ch ran to"

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
The team silent Silent Hill games.

Despite being Amazingly well researched in general, there are some really clearly Japanese bits plonked in which give it away.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Most Quantic Dream games, because they're set in America but have predominantly French voice actors for the supporting roles who aren't remotely convincing lmao

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Professor Layton, where the standard image of what they imagine Scotland Yard looks like, and a load of other London locations, has had the Elizabeth Tower (the Big Ben clock tower) somehow detach itself from Westminster and march into the background of any given shot like it's photobombing it.

layton.fandom.com

Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard is a recurring location in the Professor Layton series. It serves as the headquarters of the London Metropolitan Police Service. It is led by the commissioner. Outside of Scotland Yard is a large parking lot. Along the only street to the left of the building are plenty of trees...

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
David Cage games. Heavy Rain is meant to be near New York apparently. Never ever ever got that vibe. Always thought it was some drab Europe city.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Specifically Letitia, the NPC that talks like Amos 'n' Andy.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Catherine supposedly has an American setting, but nothing about the layout of the bar or Vincent's apartment suggests that (let alone how Catherine sits on the floor at one point in the latter).
It's technically a space colony, but nothing about its businesses or living accommodations suggests USA.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I lived in Toronto for over ten years and everyone says Toronno. And I come from SW ontario

but also. The subway cars in that game are obscenely small and grungy and dim. Even our 90s train cars were fairly bright and clean. That was my first indicator, also you weren't ever walking around with a cheap coffee in one hand. Clearly not a game set in Canada made by Canadians

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding kept telling me it was America and it looked nothing like it.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Every time a game company from the US or Western Europe sets their game in some Slavic country that isn't Russia/Ukraine/the Soviet Union.. Prague in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is not that bad, but it still uses some random Czech names for some characters and many times there are things said or written in Czech that you can clearly tell that they used Google Translator for them .. still one of the better examples.. most other US or Western Europe games that have some Slavic setting are way, way worse in this area

Definitely, but I'll say that pretty much all "Slavic" settings in videogames are just hilariously stereotyped. I understand that this is a problem in all US pop culture ever since the 1950s really when anything remotely "Soviet" was seen as evil but you would think that everyone east of Germany lived in a dystopian wasteland. That's why the Metro games were such a breath of fresh air for me, this one actually was set in a dystopian wasteland but the details of the world really showed that the devs lived in Eastern Europe (Ukraine specifically, I believe).

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Death Stranding looking nothing like America or having none of the features of America was disappointing, but I guess I couldn't really say what the future America after the death stranding would look one way or another...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if it was mentioned, but Death Stranding is like the ultimate example of it.

Thing is though, I have to assume Kojima knows his America from Death Stranding doesn't look like the real America whatsoever. What made him go 'fuck it, I'll stick with naming it America', I wonder...

I got the impression that it only looks like that because of everything that has gone down. So this seems like a weird complaint.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017

This is explained in the game though,
the initial death stranding event was a series of massive explosions all across the earth, completely changing its topography. The addition of timefall changed global climate.
I don't think it's an example of Kojima not knowing NA, more like using narrative to bend the rules so he can tell the story he wants in the setting he wants.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Northern Finland in Resident Evil Revelations vs. Northern Finland in reality.

kDsV1n4.png

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Others said it already but the story explains this very well imo.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love was released in the States for PS2 and the Wii. It's a Sakura Wars game set in 1928 in New York City. It's so stereotypical and "wrong-ish" that I can't help but shake my head and laugh at it. It's not even mean-spirited on their part; I could tell the developers made some effort but they just couldn't escape not only the Japan-to-America lens, but the anime-tropes-filtered-through-America lens.

It's especially true for the stuff dealing with Harlem and black and Mexican characters.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Resident Evil 4 had a representation of Spain that borders on the comic.

The villagers even have a Mexican accent, totally different.
Not just the accent, the writing itself was Mexican. They'd yell things like "pinche güevón" and stuff like that. It was supposed to be the Basque Country too, which is even worse since it ignores not just Spanish culture but also Basque.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Crew, the traffic lights are on the close side of the intersection like most EU countries while in the US most cities have traffic lights on the far side of the intersection.