• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's a pretty common thought that games are better when you can play with friends. Obviously there are single player-focused games like RDR2, God of War, etc, this isn't about that. I'm more curious about games that offer campaign co-op, but you still feel are better when played single player.

For example, I prefer playing Diablo 3 on my own. I think co-op makes the screen too cluttered, and I think the gameplay loop and meditative pace of the game is more fun when I can just zone out, throw on a podcast, and go at my own speed.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Tropical Freeze
Ironic image
1df95bf48-1.jpg

Sora64

Mar 22, 2020
Resident Evil 6 comes to mind. The AI always does the insta death portions perfectly and also have infinite ammo unlike RE5 co-op where you actually have to manage the AI's inventory.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Left 4 Dead and it's sequel are righteous good fun with friends, but comfortably relaxing and worthy of a runthrough on your own, although I can't imagine you can get too much mileage out of that.

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
I came here to second Cuphead, particularly in run-and-gun stages.

The same is true for many side-scrolling shooters where the progression only advances when the player moves forward (e.g. Contra)

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Halo 2 Legendary is very hard during co-op because one player dying resets the game to the last checkpoint. Halo 1 Legendary was way easier during co-op since players could respawn.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter.

Not that playing co-op isn't fun, of course! But you can't quite appreciate the encounter design or the nuances of the combat until it's one on one. I like to beat all the monsters solo before I start farming with friends.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
The idea of playing Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 is both incredibly appealing and dreadfully appalling. I can't imagine I'd enjoy sitting with a friend going through so much dialogue, yet I play D&D all the time so maybe if I treat it like that and I'm with the right player? I dunno.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Monster Hunter.

Not that playing co-op isn't fun, of course! But you can't quite appreciate the encounter design or the nuances of the combat until it's one on one. I like to beat all the monsters solo before I start farming with friends.

I view some of the co-op platformers listed above the same way. It's far easier to appreciate the design/nuance of New Super Mario Bros. U when your friends aren't constantly bonking you into a pit; you could argue it's more fun though

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I play Borderlands games better on my own than with other people, so I can have better focus and get all the stuff that I need.

Oct 31, 2017
Super Mario 3D World IMHO.

I want to see a successor to the 3D Land/World formula that gears its level design towards a single player more like 3D Land, rather than 4 simultaneous ones even if I still really enjoy SM3DW's levels.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I only play the Borderlands series solo.

With the exception of the raid bosses and the highest NG+ mode, the games are perfectly enjoyable single player. And even those raid bosses and Ultimate Vault Hunter mode can be done solo with the right loot and skill specs.

I think I've only done multiplayer once and personally I didn't enjoy it as much. I like being able to take my time looking at loot, opening all the chests, etc.

Diablo 3 as well, I just love that game solo and only ever tried multiplayer once when it first came out.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That's.. most games for me. I prefer to go at my own pace, looking for collectibles, listening to dialog, and poking around. Add another player and that inevitably just turns into running through the levels.

Plus I like to be able to pause the game to dick around on my phone or walk away and grab some food, and I hate it when other players do that to me.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Since a new entry for it came out today, Battletoads on the NES. The original version is literally unbeatable in co-op due to a bug, which was only fix on the Rare Replay release.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of playing Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 is both incredibly appealing and dreadfully appalling. I can't imagine I'd enjoy sitting with a friend going through so much dialogue, yet I play D&D all the time so maybe if I treat it like that and I'm with the right player? I dunno.

One of the good things about D:OS2 co-op is players can have independent conversations with NPCs. You don't need to wait for your friend to finish reading.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
im just here to find out about games with co-op campaigns since its such a rarity most of the time. more often than not, you'll get some side missions and thats it.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer my first Halo and Gears of war playthroughs be single player. I feel that I can get more immersed in those games playing alone.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Monster Hunter.

yeah, monster hunter's a good one. myself, i really enjoyed both the division games & the ghost recon games this gen solo. enjoyed just progressing at my own pace...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Avengers. The only reason I'm not playing that game is the GaaS stuff coupled with all the co-op shit. Really enjoyed the first couple of hours of the beta though.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Divinity OS 2.

While in co-op it'd be a more enjoyable experience, having to find time to play a 60+ hour RPG with someone is damn near impossible.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

You miss so much playing co-op of writing and quests. I know it seems popular but I hated it co-op

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and RAGE have full fledged cooperative campaign with exclusive levels... and basically nobody has ever played them.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Recon Wildlands is actually amazing in CO-OP, but going solo and taking it slow, methodical (not always possible with a group of friends), and with the stuff you can do with the AI - might be my preffered way to play.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cat Quest 2. It's not really difficult either way, but when solo the off character is always invincible. So you have to worry a lot less about healing / defensive spells / et al.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Remnant: From the Ashes

My favourite game this gen, but I don't really enjoy the co-op. Probably doesn't help that it barely worked at launch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
New Super Mario Bros Wii/Wii U/Deluxe.

I can't help but barrel through the levels at mach speed, don't pick me up and toss me off the level because you're upset that you can't keep up!

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Remnant: From the Ashes

My favourite game this gen, but I don't really enjoy the co-op. Probably doesn't help that it barely worked at launch.

There are alot of good picks in this thread, but this isn't one of them IMO.

It's a very, very good game solo. But it's a great game in coop. Some of the build synergies you can play with add a layer of strategy just missing from the core game, and they let you experiment in a way that solo play makes more difficult.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Divinity OS 2.

While in co-op it'd be a more enjoyable experience, having to find time to play a 60+ hour RPG with someone is damn near impossible.
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

You miss so much playing co-op of writing and quests. I know it seems popular but I hated it co-op

I agree with these.

I have D:OS2 on both PC and Xbox One. I started the Xbox One playthrough solo, which made me fall in love with the game. I got midway through Act 2 then started a fresh campaign with three friends on PC.

It's really enjoyable cooperatively, as all of your party members are now individuals and do things you wouldn't have expected. I loved it until I got past where I had gotten on my Xbox playthrough. It's hard to pay attention to all of the dialog when in a party of four and diminishes the initial experience to a degree, but you also don't want to inhibit the general chat and shenanigans of the group which is largely the point.

I think the best solution is to play first solo, then again as a group / coop to get the best of both worlds. I loved acting as a semi-guide through the first couple acts to my friends so that when they asked "where do we go now" I had some options for them, but not all of the answers because of how variable some of the quests are.

This may have been less of an issue with D:OS1 as it was only two people, and if you're both equally committed and into it you can get a similar experience to solo.