• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I have been playing quite a few 8 and 16 bit games lately and I discovered that in quite many cases some pretty notorious games the publishers decided to alter the game not only with censorship or changing the story, but actually making the gameplay worse, mainly making it harder and less balanced so people would stop renting the games and buy them instead

Among these cases I found some from Konami and Sega:

First there is Castlevania 3 on NES, a game known for being increibly hard but actually the japanese version is a little less difficult, since the damage you take from the enemies is more balanced and you can't get pushed from the stairs, which makes the game less frustrating, among other minor changes. Is still a really hard game but is definitely better designed, and also the japanese version had a chip to make the music sound more advanced, like from a PC Engine game, and that wasn't included in the western release

There is also Contra Hard Corps, a game also known for being incredibly hard but in this case the difference with the japanese version is more extreme, since that one has a health bar and unlimited continues, while the american one has 5 continues and no health bar, and the pal one, Probotector (which also changes the humans and the wolfman with robots) is even worse with a continue less and less checkpoints. This is very notorious since Hard Corp is a game designed with a bigger focus in bosses than in levels in comparison to the previous games, so it has a lot of bosses and unfortunately in the western version you will have to learn too many patterns perfectly to beat the game in any of the paths you can follow, which isn't really the way the game was designed at all, because I'd say the japanese version lets you enjoy the game and see what has to offer without having to remember every single detail

Both games are included in the Contra and the Casltevania Collections released recently and they include the japanese version of them

In the case of Sega they already were not fans of allowing you to save the games, or have passwords or even have too many continues in comparison to other companies for some reason, unfortunately there were some cases were Sega of America and Europe made some games even more unforgiving than in their original versions and also changing other details for no reason as an extra slap in the face, with the most well known case being Streets of Rage 3, which was censored, they removed content, changed the story, change some details and also made the game way more difficult than it was in the Japanese version, while if you play that one you will get the experience as it was intended and with a more balanced difficulty more in line with SoR 1 and 2

There is also the case of Dynamite Headdy, which is an action platformer made by Treasure that unfortunately again Sega made more difficult in it's western release, making you start with 0 continues unlike in the Japanese version, but also is more difficult to get extra continues, which in the japanese version is done with a random and kind of annoying minigame after every boss that now is more difficult, all of this is pretty bad since I'd say the limited continues even in the Japanese version is not something positive for Headdy since the game not only is over an hour long but also the first third of it is kind of easy and simplistic, so you will have to play those first few levels over and over again just to play the later ones that actually are more challenging and insteresting, and that gets old, and all of that is even worse in the western release. But that's not all, because they also removed the story of the game, since the japanese version had some cutscenes with text and all of that was removed, making the entire game feeling confusing

Finally there is the case of Ristar, which was also made more difficult with less continues and checkpoints to beat the game. It's not as bad as in the previous games but unfortunately the game does have some trial and error sections where you will take damage or die the first few times, and that can be also frustrating in the western version, while in the japanese one is not as bad since the game is very forgiving

These 3 games are included in the Sega Genesis Collection released a copuple of years ago and they all are part of a select group of games were they included the japanese version as a bonus, because they knew they are better, unfortunately other Sega Collections like the one released on PS3 and 360 didn't have this option

Do you know of games that also changed the gameplay for the worse in the western release? I'd like to know

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Evo: The Search For Eden has a level where dinosaurs poop in the Japanese version, and that mechanic was removed from the international release. There is a romhack to restore it though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ristar may have mucked with the difficulty in the Western release so that kids couldn't rent it and beat it over a weekend but at least it gave us Angry Ristar.

images

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere is missing an entire disc and all of the story in the US version.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first Persona game from 1996 was heavily altered for the English release with names and even race changing that was prevalent for the time in Western imported Japanese media, but because the handful of translators on board had so little time to work on the game they had to cut the Snow Queen Quest, an entire full game length secondary storyline with a unique party member, out of the American release.

This was all reverted in the PSP release of the game but then they removed the original soundtrack for a new smaller one that fit more in line with Persona 3's style, only this is almost a dealbreaker because the Persona 1 OST is half the reason you play the game.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NES Ninja Gaiden III is more forgiving in the Japanese version due to password saves. And taking out Hitler is more satisfying in Famicom Bionic Commando. Metroid's disk save function is nicer than those huge passwords.

In the case of Sega they already were not fans of allowing you to save the games, or have passwords or even have too many continues in comparison to other companies for some reason,

I don't see the issue with their save functions or lack thereof. Almost every game of significant length by Sega has a save function (Kid Chameleon's an exception). The ones that don't are arcade length and would be too easy with them.

Speaking of Sega, a lot of SMS games had FM sound support in Japan so that was an advantage back in the day. It's not really relevant today, though, as there are ways to play the FM sound from the Western cartridges now in most cases.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams-
"Most who dislike the game are western gamers, and there's a good reason for that: Capcom made some significant balance adjustments for the western version, many of which made the game an exercise in tedium. Techniques required more souls to purchase, meaning you'll have to grind for hours on end to afford the best ones. And that's worse since enemy HP was significantly increased, so some will take at least twice as long to finish. The bosses got a huge HP increase; you would have to dedicate at least an hour to take some of them down later in the game. Unfortunately, unlike Devil May Cry 3, it never got a rerelease to restore the Japanese version's sensible balancing."

The Japanese version of Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams also has English as an option.

67341_front.jpg

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Shin Onimusha
Silhouette Mirage
pretty much every Working Designs release for Turbo CD or Sega CD

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Rocket Knight Adventure's US release also is missing some of the in-between stage cutscenes. Konami has a history of this it seems.

Ninja Ryukenden 3 is a pretty ok, if not terribly exciting sequel, whereas Ninja Gaiden 3 is a series low point.

pretty much every Working Designs release for Turbo CD or Sega CD

is this due to balance changes, translation liberties or both? lol

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Literally just got to Dracula's castle the other night in Castlevania III and did not know about the changes. Sucks cause I have 100% access to the jp version.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
At least with Ristar there's a password to a level select screen. Not ideal but better than nothing. I rely on these kinds of passwords a lot for Genesis games.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I don't see the issue with their save functions or lack thereof. Almost every game of significant length by Sega has a save function (Kid Chameleon's an exception). The ones that don't are arcade length and would be too easy with them.
I don't have much issue with that with some shorter games, like Shadow Dancer that's like 20 minutes long, but there are plenty of Sega games for the Genesis that are over an hour long that barely give you continues, if at all, and I find the learning process of them to be annoying, obvously when you master them is a non issue but it's something that personally annoys me, and as I said they made that even worse for those 3 games I mentioned

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket Knight Adventure's US release also is missing some of the in-between stage cutscenes. Konami has a history of this it seems.

Ninja Ryukenden 3 is a pretty ok, if not terribly exciting sequel, whereas Ninja Gaiden 3 is a series low point.

is this due to balance changes, translation liberties or both? lol
The only positive changes Working Designs ever did were some higher quality boxes.

The cutscene thing reminds me of DJ Boy on Genesis. I originally owned the Japanese MD version so I was shocked to see the removal of intro/ending cinemas in the NA version when I later bought it in addition to censorship like removing the playboy bunny-ish neon signs.

Sega removing the "all sons of old gods, die!" line in Genesis Strider is pretty ridiculous, too. I didn't know about that until decades later as I had the Japanese version.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much issue with that with some shorter games, like Shadow Dancer that's like 20 minutes long, but there are plenty of Sega games for the Genesis that are over an hour long that barely give you continues, if at all, and I find the learning process of them to be annoying, obvously when you master them is a non issue but it's something that personally annoys me, and as I said they made that even worse for those 3 games I mentioned
Fair enough. It was the era of cheats codes, though, so it didn't bother me.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the amount of questionable changes in older games, I kinda wonder why enthusiasts wouldn't default to playing Japanese versions instead when reasonable (accessible, game isn't text-heavy, etc). I'm usually asking the flipside to the thread's question.

I gotta disagree with the OP on Hard Corps. I think the game is fun and plenty learnable without the health bar.

One regional change that I'm surprised I don't see get brought up more often is Super Mario Bros 3, where the Famicom original had you always revert to small Mario when taking damage. It's neat!

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the amount of questionable changes in older games, I kinda wonder why enthusiasts wouldn't default to playing Japanese versions instead when reasonable (accessible, game isn't text-heavy, etc). I'm usually asking the flipside to the thread's question.
True. I think the Western versions of NES Jackal (more content), PS1 Tenchu (less glitchy), and Genesis Decapattack (I like the character/theme changes) are better.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Contra hardcorps and Bare knuckle 3 are the obvious choices on mega drive. Western release did away with story, raised difficulty massively and even changed colour schemes just because.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
True. I think the Western versions of NES Jackal (more content), PS1 Tenchu (less glitchy), and Genesis Decapattack (I like the character/theme changes) are better.

I feel, with some exceptions (like the Onimusha game already mentioned) in the 32-bit era onward, games were usually improved between Japanese and Western releases. Bug fixes or new features seemed to be common.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
The SNES RPG 7th Saga was revised to be much harder from its Japanese release (Elnard), with reduced stat improvements from levels. Part of the game's unique appeal is that you're one of seven heroes, and the other heroes will be doing their own thing and will sometimes fight you or even join you as a second party member (if their interests align enough with yours; you might have to beat them in a duel first).

However, whether the decreased stats from leveling up were intentional or not, the other characters have the original leveling system, making it hard (or even impossible) to beat them in duels depending on where you are in the game. And if you do manage to get one as a companion, ditching them and re-recruiting them will raise their status substantially.

The result is that a game that was already difficult became crushingly so, which is disappointing given it's otherwise an interesting game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Tokkyu Shirei: Solbrain

better known in the Western sphere as Shatterhand.

Because Shatterhand doesn't have the stage with the best music:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Turok 2.

Because the Japanese version is called VIOLENCEKILLER instead.

That's all.