• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The backlash to Wind Waker wasn't bc of 'mario instead of Zelda'. It was about the fact that Nintendo showed a trailer of a very 'grown up' Zelda game a few years prior. People were hyped for the next Zelda game and the cartoonish look of Wind Waker was not what they expected.
It wasn't a trailer, it was a tech demo, just like the one for Wii U, there were also tears with the BOTW aesthetic.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Both FE and SMT fans had no idea what they'd get with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Metroid-_Samus_Returns_cover.jpg

Not for the Switch, developed by MercurySteam who people were apprehensive about because of their work on Castlevania, AM2R being proclaimed the already superior remake.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

This. An excellent game in itself, it probably shouldn't have starred Banjo. I've played it many years later and loved it. It's awesome to find solutions to all the puzzles the game throws at you with increasingly crazy vehicles build by your creativity, and the game even actively encourages you to break the rules. You get such a cool feeling of actively solving the puzzles in this title. Maybe the game would have worked better in a post-Minecraft world or if a classical 3D Banjo existed alongside it. Nuts & Bolts is also super beautiful with the 4K Xbox patch.

Dec 21, 2020
TBH, almost any game from Nintendo in 2020 for not being botw2 or SMO2 in the online gaming sphere. Except Animal Crossing since people knew about that. Well, to put it more bluntly it wasn't maligned per se, I feel like that is a bit more extreme, but they were "softly" maligned.

TLOU2 for different reasons. The game was fine but the meltdowns online weren't... necessary to say the least.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
We all remember the anger. "It's just fucking Donkey Kong", "Where's Metroid", "What a Waste". Thing is, this is one of the best platformers ever released. It's up there with Celeste, Super Meat Boy, SMB 3, Super Mario World, etc. It wasn't what was expected or wanted from Retro Studios, so it got slammed for it. What are some other titles like this?
This was shameful, especially considering how awesome it is. There probably can't be a more crass example.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze wasn't really unfairly maligned because people didn't care if it was going to be good or not. The issue was that it meant even more years waiting for Retro to make something outside of the wheelhouse that the rest of Nintendo's developers already had covered. It does make you wonder how dysfunctional Retro is though given that they've released zero games since 2014 other then the Switch port of Tropical Freeze, and who knows when Prime 4 is ever coming.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Half Life Alyx got quite a bit of grief for not being Half Life 3 and / or a pancake non-VR game. So much salt because a lot of people could not play it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze wasn't really unfairly maligned because people didn't care if it was going to be good or not. The issue was that it meant even more years waiting for Retro to make something outside of the wheelhouse that the rest of Nintendo's developers already had covered. It does make you wonder how dysfunctional Retro is though given that they've released zero games since 2014 other then the Switch port of Tropical Freeze, and who knows when Prime 4 is ever coming.
Cancellations can happen to the best developers.

The fact that Nintendo trusted them with prime 4 after canceling the other version they worked on for years and invested millions in, means something.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't even the fact it was a new DK and not Metroid, it was the fact people randomly got it in their heads that it was gonna be a Startropics reboot which was why people who never played it were going on a hate campaign against DKC:TF until it came out on Switch.

For a similar case, Mario 3D World got similar treatment initially because it was just a 3DS game in HD.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei

We still got Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is still a great game

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I bought DK Tropical Freeze on day one to support Retro Studios and thought it was a forgettable experience

The only levels I particularly died on were Irate Eight, the bonus level for the fifth world and the 3rd special level with the rocket ship(Bopopolis wasn't hard)

Rocket Barrel levels were annoying and too frequent, and the only 2 songs I even remember aside from the timeless classic Aquatic Ambience were the Sawmill and that one level with the stick puppets in the third world

I still definitely agree that the game received way more hate than it deserved but I will never cease to roll my eyes when people call it a masterpiece

Also a lot of the hate it received wasn't just because it wasn't a Metroid game, but because it was a full price 2D platformer on the struggling WII U when it's library was already full of them

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked DKTF and think is a 2d platfroming masterpiece, but I still think it was a mistake to release it at that time.
The rerelease on switch had a much better timing.

Similar case with a game like Federation Force, yeah, that game is mediocre at best, but it was clearly a sucide releasing it at that time without even any more new metroid announcements. I do think a federation force spin off could have totally work (as someone that is really interested in the metroid universe as a whole), but 1. not at that time, and 2. not like the game that was actually released.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Wind Waker. People were so butthurt about the art style that the game wasn't truly appreciated until about a decade later.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Banjo Nuts and Bolts. Maligned for the ip and the studio, and frankly, it's one of their best games ever. I mean it's no Viva Piñata their actual best game, but for my money it's the best game out of the 3 banjo games.

The absurd vehicle creations you could make and the way they would break the game with some out of the box solutions was sick. It's a shame a game like that is dunked on when it's that inventive.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

"Only 3 party members? Nina's mute?? No cute towns??? Why is everything so dark and grey????"

Took me a while to appreciate it since it was such a departure from what came before but it really was a good game in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact nobody's mentioned a Pokémon title just reinforces how much criticism of Game Freak seems to be allowed as opposed to most any others.

Nov 4, 2017
Definitely Death Stranding. You'd think that game had tied up some posters' families, kicked their dogs and shit in their toasters, when the game's primary crime was just not being MGS.

I don't think Sekiro is unfairly maligned. A lot of people (myself included) don't like it that much because it lacks the RPG elements of Bloodborne and Dark Souls. It's still an excellent game that gets heaped with praise, it just lacks what a lot of people love about the Soulsborne formula.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
The fact nobody's mentioned a Pokémon title just reinforces how much criticism of Game Freak seems to be allowed as opposed to most any others.

Why would anyone mention Pokémon in this thread? Game freak have been releasing the same game for the past 25 years. It's disappointing because it's always exactly the same game, whereas this thread is about games that were disappointing because they were radical departures from what came before.

Oct 29, 2017
TLoU 2 got hate for all the wrong reasons. I think the narrative fell apart and the pacing was absolutely terrible, but the main reason people hate on it is utter BS.

Same goes for Dead Space 3. It was in an impossible situation. Making a third DS game where you have to grab a bunch of makeshift repair tools to survive is not going to cut if for the third time. Both from the perspective of the concept being tired and also narratively. It was a great coop game with a good narrative and story which was obviously the more important part of the game. You can't really sell the whole cutting of limbs gimmick for the third time. It was great for the first two games. Was it as revolutionary and amazing as the first one? Nah. It also wasn't bad at all.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Viva piñata was thoroughly shat on (at least in Spain) for not being a classic Rare game.
Marvel avengers was also thrashed for not being a Legacy of Kain game
/s

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I remember when a lot of people were incredibly disappointed when Tales from the Borderlands was announced. I was personally really excited, but couldn't go anywhere without seeing people call it a waste until the release won people over, lmao.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Dragon Age II, obviously. It's understandable that the numbered title caused people to expect another game exactly like Origins, but it was still a great RPG that only recently (i.e., after the Inquisition honeymoon period wore off) started getting its due.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
This kinda applies.... this forum made sure every Prey 2017 thread was unreadable with bullshit "this isn't the Prey 2 demo I wanted" type comments regardless of the topic. It felt impossible to discuss the game because it always devolved into that tired conversation.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
The complete opposite is Bioshock.

It doesn't get enough flack for not being a third Freedom Force

May 19, 2020
yeah all those people that saw the zelda tech demo and then freaked out and hated wind waker for its look were pretty much a bunch of wieners