• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to work/study with breaks in-between, so like 50 minutes work with a 10 minute break. What are some good games that I can play in a bite-sized fashion during those breaks?

Features I'm looking for would be
  • You can start and finish something within the 10 minutes, be it a level or a battle or some kind of defined "chunk" of gameplay
  • Not online so you can get back to work when you have to
  • Ideally on PC
So far I've been playing Void Bastards and FTL.

Void Bastards is great because you can only spend about 10 minutes max in each level due to your oxygen running out.

Void_Bastards_green_means_loot.png

FTL is also good, following a similar structure of being able to start and finish an encounter within 10 minutes pretty easily.

ss_052d698926073e8d407a864f0e63a486af24ec0d.1920x1080.jpg

Looking for games with a similar gameplay cadence. Thanks!

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dirt Rally 2.0 is a good one. Each stage takes up to 10 minutes to finish, then you can quit and carry on another time. Also it requires absolute concentration so it's very good to take your mind off from study stress!

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Cat Quest is like $3 on Switch. It's a pretty low intensity action RPG that's fun to look at and easy to pick up for a few mins.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
For me in that situation I'd want to relax. Animal Crossing is a relaxing game for me. Maybe it's not ideal for shorter sessions though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enter the Gungeon. Great roguelike that I think just about fits all your requirements.

Will check it out! Heard a lot about it but never got around to it

I'm terrible at Rocket League :(

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a good one. Each stage takes up to 10 minutes to finish, then you can quit and carry on another time. Also it requires absolute concentration so it's very good to take your mind off from study stress!

Good recommendation, haven't played a racing game in ages too. I could see how this game could burn off some steam

Monolith. It's so freaking good and works well in chunks.

Cool looking game, never heard of it before

Cat Quest is like $3 on Switch. It's a pretty low intensity action RPG that's fun to look at and easy to pick up for a few mins.

This looks very good! Thank you

Into the Breach has short levels and is perfect to play in short bursts. It is also by the FTL devs.

I love ITB but it ends up lasting longer than 10 minutes for me, because I take forever to think about my moves lol

For me in that situation I'd want to relax. Animal Crossing is a relaxing game for me. Maybe it's not ideal for shorter sessions though.

Yeah Animal Crossing is more like a game where you can get lost in for hours

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Downwell. Although, in between studying, I would rather stretch my legs, drink some water or close my eyes for a bit.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has been a nice break for me. For the first few weeks it's definitely a time sink because there's a lot to do, but you'll hit a certain point where the progression slows down a lot and you basically are just visiting your shops, gathering daily resources, and talking to your villagers. It's a great game to just play at your own pace. You can spend 15 minutes doing some fishing, or you can spend an hour plus going to nook mile islands or customizing your island/house.

Also yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing Void Bastards once they officially announce the Switch/PS4 ports after that got leaked a few months back. That game looks dope but I just don't have a XB1 at the moment.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I play WoW (a few quests or a dungeon run when I wanna break for 20-30 mins) or Hearthstone (if I wanna break for anywhere from 10 up to 30 mins)