• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, in my country, there are dozen of jokes centered around the sound a certain game titles does when pronnounced in my native language, without context.

There is:

That literaly mean "I farted" in portuguese.

Another classic is halo, that means "drain", so...
halo.jpg

Any of your own?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Payday sounds like a homophobic slur in French, so that's hella awkward to talk about it at times. I make sure to use the English pronunciation but even then, that makes such a slight difference from the French one, that people could still be looking at you weirdly.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Gran Turismo is indeed not a game about some great vacations

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Pokkén kinda sounds like german word for Smallpox, probably the reason why it's called Pokémon Tekken here instead. Well I hope this was the reason, because it's pretty funny.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Halo is "hello?" in Polish. It can also be used in a phrase "wielkie halo" which translates to "big deal" (used ironically).

Also - not a title, but "kupa" means "shit" in Polish and it always cracks me up.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 80% on Kona on Steam

Northern Canada, 1970. A strange blizzard ravages Atamipek Lake. Step into the shoes of a detective to explore the eerie village, investigate surreal events, and battle the elements to survive. Kona is a chilly interactive tale you won't soon forget.

It's literally cunt in portuguese.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So, in my country, there are dozen of jokes centered around the sound a certain game titles does when pronnounced in my native language, without context.

There is:

Another classic is halo, that means "drain", so...
halo.jpg

Any of your own?

Man, I never read the title "Payday" as "peidei" lol

In my head is always "dia do receber dinheiro" :P

store.steampowered.com

Save 80% on Kona on Steam

Northern Canada, 1970. A strange blizzard ravages Atamipek Lake. Step into the shoes of a detective to explore the eerie village, investigate surreal events, and battle the elements to survive. Kona is a chilly interactive tale you won't soon forget.

It's literally cunt in portuguese.

Yep lol this one is really something!

Aug 31, 2019
When The Legacy of Goku launched for the GBA my teenager me made some jokes with "delegacia" of Goku (Goku's Police Station)

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
colombian upcoming game Cris Tales isn't funny in spanish but it's super awkward to say. Since crystals in spanish is cristales, the word olay between Tales and Cristals doesn't translate smoothly.

Not a game but Ghibli's Laputa Castle in the Sky in spanish it's TheWhore Castle in the Sky

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage

But then again they probably sounds less absurd if you don't speak English.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Halo 3: ODST

ODST said fast will pronounced the same way as cheese (Ost) in Danish. And, of course, now that I know it, it is how it's pronounced in my mind whenever I see it.

They might be orbital drop shock troopers or whatever, but to me, they're cheese.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Many Hispanic people pronounce Halo as "jalo", which crudely translates to "I pull", so you can imagine the jokes around that.

DEA.jpg

If you understand this, I'm sorry. I just had to put an example.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Not a game but Ghibli's Laputa Castle in the Sky in spanish it's TheWhore Castle in the Sky
I too genuinely wondered what that movie was about.
Oh, and the car also called Laputa as well. Whores on wheels I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Does anyone know what language Laputa actually comes from? Cuz what were Ghibli and Mazda(?) going for when naming them?

OP
OP
justiceiro

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Knack

In arabic it means "he fucked" or the past tense of the verb to fuck.

When they localized Knack 2 they changed it to شاطر (Shatter) which can be used in a similar way to the phrase "good boy". It can also mean "one who splits something" which works well with knack who is a good boy and can split himself into lots of little pieces.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Payday sounds like a homophobic slur in French, so that's hella awkward to talk about it at times. I make sure to use the English pronunciation but even then, that makes such a slight difference from the French one, that people could still be looking at you weirdly.
Yeah... made it hard to recommend honestly.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
This is something I can't wrap my head around:
fut-champions-weekendrjjtm.jpg

"FUT" (short for FIFA Ultimate Team everywhere in the world) is a very derogatery term for "vagina" in parts of southern Germany but especially in Austria. Think "cunt". Especially in the latter this is immediately the first association someone has when hearing that term, and messages with "Happy FUTmas", "Happy FUT Anniversary" (which were all real headlines on the Playstation store for example) and so on have brought me and my friends lots of joy, even that pic up there makes me chuckle. And we don't even play FIFA.
How no one at EA Germany or Austria - if that even exists - ever thought "Hm, maybe we should just call those FIFA Points around here" is beyond me.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France

There is:

In French, Payday sounds like a homophobic insult.
However, P.T sounds like "fart" (péter).

PT.jpg

Which is why I always pronoune it in English, when I talk to French people about this wonderful game. (saying it in French would sound ridiculous when I'm trying to tell how good it is)

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario = "is Mario boozing?"
I've quite frankly never read the games' titles as a question like that so never made that connection. But true enough!😁

Another one in Swedish, especially if you're from the west coast:

Title itself means taking a shit, the subtitle just adds narrative.

WyAdVSm.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I too genuinely wondered what that movie was about.
Oh, and the car also called Laputa as well. Whores on wheels I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Does anyone know what language Laputa actually comes from? Cuz what were Ghibli and Mazda(?) going for when naming them?

The Ghibli film is a reference to the flying island in Gulliver's Travels. In the novel, Laputa is meant to represent Great Britain and it's likely Swift was intentionally calling it a whore. Unfortunately Ghibli didn't realise that when they took the name for their own flying island.

I imagine Mazda just took the name from Ghibli.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The Ghibli film is a reference to the flying island in Gulliver's Travels. In the novel, Laputa is meant to represent Great Britain and it's likely Swift was intentionally calling it a whore. Unfortunately Ghibli didn't realise that when they took the name for their own flying island.

I imagine Mazda just took the name from Ghibli.
Pretty cool. Didn't remember that from the story. Thx :)

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is something I can't wrap my head around:
fut-champions-weekendrjjtm.jpg

"FUT" (short for FIFA Ultimate Team everywhere in the world) is a very derogatery term for "vagina" in parts of southern Germany but especially in Austria. Think "cunt". Especially in the latter this is immediately the first association someone has when hearing that term, and messages with "Happy FUTmas", "Happy FUT Anniversary" (which were all real headlines on the Playstation store for example) and so on have brought me and my friends lots of joy, even that pic up there makes me chuckle. And we don't even play FIFA.
How no one at EA Germany or Austria - if that even exists - ever thought "Hm, maybe we should just call those FIFA Points around here" is beyond me.

I'm german and never heard that word and there doesn't seem to be an EA Austria so there you go...no-one here understands weird austrian slang!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Knack

When they localized Knack 2 they changed it to شاطر (Shatter) which can be used in a similar way to the phrase "good boy". It can also mean "one who splits something" which works well with knack who is a good boy and can split himself into lots of little pieces.

Works perfectly in so many ways because Knack definitely fucks.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is kind of a reach but "Nier" is just one letter (another e at the end) from the German word for kidney.

And, in the wider area around cologne you could just pronounce it as is. :P

Knack

This is a bit funny to me, because "knack" is an onomatopoeia (as pronounced in German of course) for something shattering or breaking in half.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
I'm german and never heard that word and there doesn't seem to be an EA Austria so there you go...no-one here understands weird austrian slang!
Yeah it's definitely more of an Austrian thing. One friend of mine from Munich knows it (or about it, as an Austrian word), other people from farther north have never heard it.
It's our own little Austrian thing that we can laugh at EA about I guess :>

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine German reactions to "Myst" are pretty funny (mist means "crap" or "manure").

In Taiwanese Mandarin, Pokemon is translated as "magical babies," which isn't really a translation quirk so much as just a funny thing to call it in my mind.

Aug 31, 2019
Not exactly game related (well, there are games where he is a character, and when they localized those games they went with the Brazilian version), but Count Dooku from Star Wars had its name changed to Count Dookan in Brazil, because it sounded like Count of the Asshole.

I used to play a lot of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds - that Age of Empires II with a Star Wars skin - in portuguese, and when I discovered his original name I had some laughs.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Kukui
I still can't say the name of this free game and the Pokémon SuMo professor the way it is meant to be pronounced. It's "Ku-ku-i" or something?
I think of it as "kuk-UI", because kuk is pretty much the penis equivalent of "cunt" in Swedish. (Is there a word as harsh as cunt for the male genitalia in english? I can't think of one.)

But yeah. Pretty much "dick UI".

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
81593255104E808E565CD6BF41A6FBC5ADCF002C

"Gatto" means cat in Italian.

...and if I think about it, the title is pronunced almost as "fregato" - as in screwed or tricked.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not exactly game related (well, there are games where he is a character, and when they localized those games they went with the Brazilian version), but Count Dooku from Star Wars had its name changed to Count Dookan in Brazil, because it sounded like Count of the Asshole.
The same thing happened to Captain Panaka, who was renamed Panás in Brazil. In Brazilian Portuguese, "panaca" means something like douchebag.

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
I like the game but hate the title for that reason, I can't talk about it publicly without having to make sure everything is heard correctly. Really a bad name.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Anything with "Director's Cut" in it sounds a bit naughty in Dutch because "cut" sounds like "kut" which is a vulgar slang for vagina.

Oct 26, 2017
Not really a game title... but I remember my grandfather giving me the side-eye when I said that my Nintendo 64 was called "64" because it had 64 "mega dicks" (bitte, pronounced exactly like the word bit, means dick).

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ni no Kuni
Kun (Koon) means ass in Farsi and Kuni is a curse word!
g8t0_ni_no_kuni_logo_2.jpg

Also Kos means vagina here. So this part of Bloodborne was really funny for me!

Ahh, Kos...

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
Princess Peach always made me chuckle.

"Peach" is pronounced roughly like "picz" in Polish.

"Picz" is a slang term for vagina.

Yeah...