• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What more games need is a contextual fadeout like some do (like Dark Souls series). Probably don't need the quest log up in the middle of combat, for instance.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've always dug being able to turn off HUD options ever since I learned about the blind skull in Halo 2. It made me revisit many games and try them with reduced huds(or no hud). I remember the first game that truly impressed me was assassin's Creed 1 and 2. Without the HUD the game was still playable and I found myself not trying to look at the map anymore to find stuff to do and instead looked and admired that environment much more. I don't think something like this is absolutely needed in every game but sometimes not having HUD details in your face goes a long way in making a player like more engaged. It's why I will always support extensive HUD options

while Death Stranding by default has a fairly minimal HUD:

dBZTv1g.png

playing without a HUD feels really cool:

IJ48jja.jpg

as long as you know how to move through the world, the animations and noises are all you need to manage Sam as he's carrying a metric fuck ton of packages on his back
Yoooo I didn't even think about checking to see if there was hud options. I give that a whirl. Part of the fun of the game is the immersion for me.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm less concerned with HUDs than with the environments reading properly. Think about how in Half-Life 2 bright green and blue on the ground were reserved for health packs and batteries so the player would notice them quickly or how bright blue and amber on walls indicated medical and armor stations. Then in Bioshock a couple of years later there was so much dim light and environmental debris that everything you could interact with had to have an effect where they would shine every few seconds so they player could tell them apart from everything else. Monster Hunter World has a similar issue with needing to use the scoutflies to highlight things you can pick up.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of BOTW anytime I've turned off the HUD I suddenly am completely lost because they build large empty environments and place tiny objectives in huge open worlds without so much as flavor text explaining it's near the base of the mountain.

Just because you change the in game hud doesn't mean you can't look at your in game map menu though, for the majority of games like this, it shouldn't be a problem.

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
Xenoblade chronicles 2 is like vomit on the screen.
Xenoblade 2 is interesting because, yes, it can look like this during combat
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-7.jpg

but none of it is extraneous. I wouldn't say it is distracting from the game itself because, most of the time during combat, your main focus is on the HUD.

Outside of combat, it is one of the better examples of HUD.
vF2DpF7.jpg

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
First thing that came to mind was Division 2, I remember specifically taking a picture back in March last year, thought it would take ages to find but nope there it is. It can get real messy.

NVkOZVy.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is interesting because, yes, it can look like this during combat
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-7.jpg

but none of it is extraneous. I wouldn't say it is distracting from the game itself because, most of the time during combat, your main focus is on the HUD.

Outside of combat, it is one of the better examples of HUD.
vF2DpF7.jpg

It's necessary because they made it so. Could've been handled differently. I don't think the second screenshot is much better with the game always displaying th button mapping for ZL and ZR. It's such a waste of screen space.

Last edited:

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is bad but 1 is even worse. They already had limited space and you had all this junk on the battle screen. Almost on MMO levels of cluttered.

xenoblade-chronicles-battle.jpg

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HUD is evil and should be destroyed.

Are you a flight sim? No? Then you don't need HUD at all.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
My main issue is with objective markers. Just design the world so I can find my way without needing them. It totally kills the immersion when you just follow directions.
However, some games become frustrating without them. Playing Witcher 3 now and although I had them off, I turned them back on as the locations of some quests are very convoluted to the point of being random.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
There the worse ,Ubisoft the main culprit and numbers flying out of people as there shot the worst offender.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The abysmal Natural Doctrine enters the chat:

natural_doctrine_ps4_8.jpg

2664667-naturaldoctrine1.jpg

All that text? Constantly scrolling. All of it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
OP isn't wrong but games are so detailed these days I understand why designers try and make sure people don't miss stuff.....being able to turn things off without it impacting your experience is always the best option.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
There's games that are great about this; Astral Chain lets you turn everything on and off in pieces, and the Conduit let you move info wherever you wanted in addition to removing things entirely. Too bad the latter was pretty boring as a game.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
If you play Witcher 3 on PC get Friendly HUD. It hides stuff when you don't need it, and it shows it when you do. Or you can just get rid of all hud elements all together if you want.
It really was a much better experience. And whenever I got lost, I could always trigger the Witcher sense to get a rough direction for my objective instead of a marker on a minimap.

I'd love for more games to display HUD parts contextually: I don't really need a lifebar when I'm not fighting, or a visibility indicator if I'm not trying to hide.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish more games used the phone-as-a-second-screen feature some games randomly got this and last generation. It would add a lot of the benefit that the Wii U GamePad added with something I already own.

Imagine having health, a mini map, or whatever extra information on your phone to free up the screen...

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space is a masterful example of how to display information elegantly and unobtrusively. Such a fantastic UI.

Yeah; I don't think another game has come close to this UI. It's so freaking good.

which is fine. But no reason to not have the option to remove said information

I agree. Devs can make the UI as clunky and unobtrusive as they like, provided they also give the option to customise it.

Agreed. Making every part of the UI of Horizon Zero Dawn contextual so that it only shows up if needed makes the game so much better. Every game should have that option tbh.

Yeah, that was a really great feature.

It also has one of the worst implementations of a compass(top middle of screen) I've seen in my life and I work with UI.

That doesn't sound so bad? Admittedly I haven't played the game, but HZD also has a compass in the top middle of the screen and that doesn't ever get in the way.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
early 7th gen was probably worst in this regard. it's not lightyears better now but generally more user friendly

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Pro UI works with BOTW as you still have the tools to navigate well without needing everything on screen and a world you can navigate without needing to consult a map to figure out just where the hell Onley Powerworks is

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
That doesn't sound so bad? Admittedly I haven't played the game, but HZD also has a compass in the top middle of the screen and that doesn't ever get in the way.

No I actually LIKE compasses there, but in XBC2, the compass is done as absolute positioning where the middle of the compass is 0 degrees and the far left and right edges are 180 degrees(i.e. directly behind you). It is not relative to your viewport. So you end up in cases where an objective is three quarters of the way to the right on the compass but in actual fact is directly right to where you are located.

This type of compass would be a lot more intuitive as a minimap or in circular form.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There's no one size fits all for games, unfortunately. Some genres, or even just games within genres, I prefer a minimalist HUD. If I'm playing an MMO, I basically want as much info as possible up on my screen at once without being obstructive.

The solution is to have highly customizeable and scaleable HUDs. Every single HUD element should be able to be dragged and moved, resized, or toggled on and off. Character health bars and names should be able to be toggled, recoloured, and have optional text (eg. a "92%" beside the healthbar).

Basically this:

eW0ShdA.jpg

And this:

lW3snkR.jpg

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It all depends on the complexity of the game, in some you need more information than in others.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
There's no one size fits all for games, unfortunately. Some genres, or even just games within genres, I prefer a minimalist HUD. If I'm playing an MMO, I basically want as much info as possible up on my screen at once without being obstructive.

The solution is to have highly customizeable and scaleable HUDs. Every single HUD element should be able to be dragged and moved, resized, or toggled on and off. Character health bars and names should be able to be toggled, recoloured, and have optional text (eg. a "92%" beside the healthbar).

Basically this:

eW0ShdA.jpg

And this:

lW3snkR.jpg

I totally agree. Being able to turn on and off things that you find relevant and put them where you find convenient is a very useful feature. I also like the context based UI because you aren't going to care about your current setup when exploring vs combat so the UI can fade away when you are not fighting.

As a super ultrawide display owner, there are so many games that do UI scaling badly. Sometimes they go on the opposite sides of the screen which makes seeing your health vs ammo etc like looking at a tennis match but at least it helps for immersion when you mostly look at the center of the screen. Some games just don't scale UI beyond 16:9 so that works out alright but the ideal would be to put them somewhere between these two extremes.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

dBZTv1g.png

IJ48jja.jpg

as long as you know how to move through the world, the animations and noises are all you need to manage Sam as he's carrying a metric fuck ton of packages on his back
I feel like switching the HUD off after seeing this, because I've played for long enough (40+ hours) that I'm comfortable with the controls, and I recognise the outlines of all the important structures.

About the only thing I think I'd still need, though, is the cargo tag pings from the scanner. Sometimes, when I'm relaying two trucks' full of materials for road-building, it's handy to have an on-screen indicator of what each one contains and where I left them. It's also handy for keeping track of MULEs so you can tie them up unnoticed. Can you still have those displayed but without any of the on-screen stamina gubbins and control prompts?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I feel like switching the HUD off after seeing this, because I've played for long enough (40+ hours) that I'm comfortable with the controls, and I recognise the outlines of all the important structures.

About the only thing I think I'd still need, though, is the cargo tag pings from the scanner. Sometimes, when I'm relaying two trucks' full of materials for road-building, it's handy to have an on-screen indicator of what each one contains and where I left them. It's also handy for keeping track of MULEs so you can tie them up unnoticed. Can you still have those displayed but without any of the on-screen stamina gubbins and control prompts?
I don't remember, but there are about 4 or 5 different switches in the HUD menu that let you control multiple aspects of what you want displayed, so there's a chance.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I tried starting Homefront Revolution last weekend and had to stop after two hours. I wish I'd recorded it, but when you go to the red zone for the first time in the open world, the information overload was absolutely ridiculous. Constant things popping up on my screen, often simultaneously: tutorial messages, mission messages, radio conversations, you name it.

I've been playing games for nearly 40 years and it was utterly confusing and overwhelming. I had no fucking idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing, or what half the messages were on about. And I missed a ton of them simply because sometimes there were four or even five types of notification on screen at once.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

dBZTv1g.png

IJ48jja.jpg

The HUD of DS is ok, the menus though, where you spend a lot of time in, are unnecessarily cluttered, obtuse and overdesigned.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I kind of agree, but I also remember when games looked like this:
images

Whereas I feel like this is a lot more immersive.

images

I like that most games don't have to constantly display a score on screen anymore.

OP
OP

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I tried starting Homefront Revolution last weekend and had to stop after two hours. I wish I'd recorded it, but when you go to the red zone for the first time in the open world, the information overload was absolutely ridiculous. Constant things popping up on my screen, often simultaneously: tutorial messages, mission messages, radio conversations, you name it.

I've been playing games for nearly 40 years and it was utterly confusing and overwhelming. I had no fucking idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing, or what half the messages were on about. And I missed a ton of them simply because sometimes there were four or even five types of notification on screen at once.

sounds awful

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Depends on the game. If the game has 20 different functions for 7 keys, because they're all contextual, then yeah, don't mind those prompts being on-screen so that I know what the he'll I'm doing *cough* Shadow of War *cough*

If it's an FPS, then all I need are health bar and bullet count. If I have a question about an objective, it should be possible to figure out by checking the map screen.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
This is exactly one of the reasons Sea of Thieves is so great. You want to look at the map? You gotta go to the physical map on your ship and look at it.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Here's one of the best UI in my opinion:

15398b5a47118fa6b68095de12721ab8.png

The suit = health meter is brilliant really.

MMOs tend to have so much clutter it's awful.

Bethesda games (Skyrim, Fallout) are also pretty bad.

Agreed. Whoever designed Dead Space UI deserves admittance into Heaven. Wasn't it one of the people that worked on the Metroid Prime series? It may have just been inspired. I can't remember.