• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent European heatwave and general aura of despair surrounding our increasingly fucked up situation here on planet Earth. I was wondering if there have been any decent game worth recommending the deal with climate change issue?

I know there was that one Civ game that had you return to Earth and recolonize it years in the future and I think there was an Anno game that was specifically dealt with with building cities on water because of rising sea levels which i thought was really cool.

Any other recommendations?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Civ 6 Gathering Storm - has climate change and polar ice melting and natural disasters like more floods and blizzards etc as the Earth undergoes Climate Change. Land becomes flooded and unusable too. It all comes late game as you might expect but if you are burning a lot of coal it will come quicker.

Mar 19, 2019
hqdefault.jpg

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Climate change is part of Binary Domain's worldbuilding, but it's a background element for the actual story being told.

There's a Wadjet Eye (either published or inspired) adventure game on the tip of my tongue, too. IIRC climate change was a core part of the story. I might be imagining it, I dunno.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tales of the Abyss features a functional planet on the brink of catastrophe (and you go through said catastrophes).

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's kinda depicted in Detroit. The honeybee has nearly died out in 2038 and there has been massive gains on urban farm development to fight food shortages. World temperature has risen by 3 degrees and Miami is said to have a massive sea wall.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Civ 6 Gathering Storm - has climate change and polar ice melting and natural disasters like more floods and blizzards etc as the Earth undergoes Climate Change. Land becomes flooded and unusable too. It all comes late game as you might expect but if you are burning a lot of coal it will come quicker.

This sounds right up my alley. Are there ways to mitigate or reverse climate change in the expansion?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This sounds right up my alley. Are there ways to mitigate or reverse climate change in the expansion?
Yeah - it starts when you or the other civs start burning coal to power the buildings in their districts. CO2 starts getting measured and a Climate Panel will show you what disasters have happened and where and how bad they were. Also tells you how long until the ice caps start melting and what the sea level rise is going to be. You then get to Oil and Nuclear and then into the future tech. Flood Barriers become available and protect lowlands and coastal cities. If you can hold off on burning fuel of any kind if you want to be green all the way you can research solar and wind power and offshore habitats. If you have Industrial Zones they can run Carbon Recapture Projects. It's not the be-all and end-all of the game of course - you can win a Culture Victory before anyone's even heard of climate change. Or you are inland and trying for a Space Victory so why care about Earth? Burn all the fuel for your Science Buildings and Spaceports. War Victory - as you upgrade your units they start using oil and uranium and they contribute to climate change too. Diplomacy can be impacted in how much Diplomatic Favor you generate if you are a polluter if you go for that win. Mods, of course, can drastically increase the damage done by disasters and how far sea rise comes inland if you want to really have an impact. You can't reverse it per se - but yes mitigate how much it affects you. Some Civs have bonuses that have benefits to them - like Egypt - suffers no damage from river flooding - Turn Disasters up to 4, settle a river, reap the fertility from floods.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawns has a bit of climate change and just fucking up the world in general. It's a pretty big part of it's plot.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - it starts when you or the other civs start burning coal to power the buildings in their districts. CO2 starts getting measured and a Climate Panel will show you what disasters have happened and where and how bad they were. Also tells you how long until the ice caps start melting and what the sea level rise is going to be. You then get to Oil and Nuclear and then into the future tech. Flood Barriers become available and protect lowlands and coastal cities. If you can hold off on burning fuel of any kind if you want to be green all the way you can research solar and wind power and offshore habitats. If you have Industrial Zones they can run Carbon Recapture Projects. It's not the be-all and end-all of the game of course - you can win a Culture Victory before anyone's even heard of climate change. Or you are inland and trying for a Space Victory so why care about Earth? Burn all the fuel for your Science Buildings and Spaceports. War Victory - as you upgrade your units they start using oil and uranium and they contribute to climate change too. Diplomacy can be impacted in how much Diplomatic Favor you generate if you are a polluter if you go for that win. Mods, of course, can drastically increase the damage done by disasters and how far sea rise comes inland if you want to really have an impact. You can't reverse it per se - but yes mitigate how much it affects you. Some Civs have bonuses that have benefits to them - like Egypt - suffers no damage from river flooding - Turn Disasters up to 4, settle a river, reap the fertility from floods.

Awesome, I'll check it out. Sounds like the most accurate portrayal of climate change in the near future that video games offer nowadays

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is basically about the personification of Earth having enough of humanity's shit and unleashing demons from the Antarctic to reset the planet to a primal state.