• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017

The MDK port for PSX used Neversoft's engine (Apocalypse, Tony Hawk, Spider-Man)

Last edited:

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD was developed using UE3. Pro Skater 1 + 2 uses UE4. The originals were developed using Neversoft's proprietary engine.

There's also the Crash and Spyro remakes.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of stuff during the PS1/Saturn era. I think Lobotomy ported Duke Nukem using their slavedriver engine.

SMT3 got ported in Poonity.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
If I recall Duke Nukem 3D for the Sega Saturn used the Lobotomy Software's proprietary engine as opposed to the Build Engine.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

:(
:( indeed. With a competent dev, budget, and realistic deadline the move from Renderware to Unreal could have worked. Instead R* farmed it out to a third party and based it off the mobile code. 3 of the biggest games of all time just absolutely shit on by their own parents.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Nightdive Studios : Kex engine. Every old game they've ported over from Doom 64 to Shadowman

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Quake 1, I think for both N64 and Saturn. At the very least, Saturn was a must. The console couldn't run the Quake engine.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
SMT III Nocturne Remaster runs on the Unity engine

The PC port of killer7 too

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Doom on SNES runs on a custom engine called Reality Engine or RAGE (Reality Advanced Gaming Engine) made by one guy, making it one of the only Doom ports that doesn't use a ported Doom engine to run (the other being Doom II GBA).

It's pretty interesting too, because it also make it the first console port of Doom to not be based on Jaguar Doom, which was used as the template for the other 16/32-bit conversions due to it having reduced complexity in level geometry and texture variety. As a result there's a lot of places where the maps are actually closer in shape, layout, and color to the DOS original than the much more technically proficient ports on other systems.

Also, beaten to it but:

Dead Rising Wii is basically a RE4 mod.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The modern mobile builds of Sonic 1/2/CD are all from scratch rebuilds on the lead programmer's custom engine, and the HD releases Apogee's been doing lately of their DOS platformers are rebuilt in Unity.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
:( indeed. With a competent dev, budget, and realistic deadline the move from Renderware to Unreal could have worked. Instead R* farmed it out to a third party and based it off the mobile code. 3 of the biggest games of all time just absolutely shit on by their own parents.
What are the non-Definitive PC ports running on? Still Renderware?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

:(
My understanding is they are running a version of the original engine (specifically coming from the mobile ports) weirdly wedged into Unreal4. Kind of in a strange way, it using the original engine has become the problem for it. The code base has been degrading worse and worse over time.

Nightdive Studios : Kex engine. Every old game they've ported over from Doom 64 to Shadowman
These run the original engine. Kex allows for full abstraction of the game loop, so we can turn the game loop into whatever we like, including another engine. Shadowman notably is the PS1 codebase (the only codebase left, it appears), turned back into the PC code base done through reverse engineering and disassembly. Doom64 meanwhile is kind of the reverse; the PC Doom codebase compared with the N64 disassembly. That codebase itself seemingly being an iteration of JagDoom->PSX Doom->Doom 64, and JagDoom itself coming from PC Doom v1.2.

Does Half-Life: Source count? It was ported to another engine on the same platform.
Almost. The code base has the same lineage however. You can easily argue that Source is just a newer version of the Half-Life code base.

Oct 25, 2017
i really think the concept of an "engine" starts to degrade when we're talking about ports of games that weren't on modern uber-editor/core tech packages like unreal or unity or something.

saying games are "ported" to different engines can mean everything from "we just needed a cross-platform renderer / audio output" to "we completely rewrote the game". it's not a really useful way of thinking about it imo.

i'm probably just a pedant for this sort of thing though.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Batman Arkham Asylum and City were rebuilt in UE4 as opposed to UE3, which the rest of the series (Even Arkham Knight, albeit a custom variant by Rocksteady) used.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
If I remember correctly, wasn't Xenoblade Chronicles DE ported using the XC2 engine?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Demon's Souls remake:

"We take gameplay pieces of the code base, and we're able to basically plug those and integrate those into our engine," Bluepoint CTO Peter Dalton said about the studio's innovative approach that allows it to connect a modern AAA engine with the original gameplay mechanics.