• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Doom 3 would be my answer, it has the best aesthetic & atmosphere for a modern Doom game.
I just love how metal & hellish the color pattern is for the key visual.

latest

Ding Ding Ding

But Doom 3 is a great game.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'll go one step further and point out I did a entire video about the development of El Shaddai because of how much I love that game. I really do try to highlight the good over the bad. It's not black and white for me, I adore flawed games. But I'm comfortable saying what games outright suck.

I don't think I could outright say that El Shaddai sucks. It's flawed, but I was intrigued enough to keep going until the end. I'll check out your video! Thanks for sharing!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I want to do a bit of an experiment. Tell me your arguments why these games suck at what they're trying to be and accomplish. Criticsm is fine, but what really makes it suck?

What makes Resident Evil 7 suck as a first-person horror-adventure game in comparison to other titles in the field, what are its weaknesses and define it as a game that sucks within it's field? Makes it worse than it competition and other entries beneath its genre label?

What makes Goose Game suck in the field of experimental comedy physics-based games, games focused on player interaction cause and effect for comedic purposes? What makes it suck so much more than the rest of its peers? What does it do worse that define it as an entry that sucks among the rest?
I said in my post Resident Evil 7 because it's overscripted IMO which meant I never felt engaged like the more gamey old ones. I don' t know what else to say and feel it's not neccessary to justify further putting a objectively popular game there.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Fusion. I don't think very highly of it as a Metroid game but it does succeed in creating a sci-fi horror atmosphere, in no small part thanks to its soundtrack.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Heavy Rain is a mess and as stories have gotten better it's hard to go back to.

But goddamn if the atmosphere isn't something. The constant pouring rain that never lets up.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Here's a mind-blowing fact, Disney owns this game.

I'll go one step further and point out I did an entire video about the development of El Shaddai because of how much I love that game. I really do try to highlight the good over the bad. It's not black and white for me, I adore flawed games. But I'm comfortable saying what games outright suck.

Correction. After watching that informative video, looks like that's no longer the case.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I said in my post Resident Evil 7 because it's overscripted IMO which meant I never felt engaged like the more gamey old ones. I don' t know what else to say and feel it's not neccessary to justify further putting a objectively popular game there.
I see. Actually though most of RE7's scenarios past the prologue section aren't overtly scripted, one thing RE7 does really, really well is make situations seem scripted when they're really not, or if they're scripted there's deeper mechanical plays happening. Two great examples of this is the first Garage boss fight where you fight Jack. The boss fight has four different outcomes based entirely on player action and response, and it changes how the fight goes dramatically. You can take control of the car and kill Jack with it, you can start the car and Jack tries to suicide you both, you can start the car but Jack pulls you out and does it in-tact, Jack can force start the car, or the car can avoid coming into play. What happens is based entirely on what the player is doing during the fight. Likewise, there's a famous scene where Jack bursts through a wall, but you can go the whole game and never encounter this. This scene actually only triggers if Jack is near the Kitchen area when the player is passing down the hallway adjacent to it.

RE7 has a lot of "context-sensitive" moments, events that only trigger if the right things fall into place based on how the player is playing the game.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler is one of the most beautiful but also one of the most dull games I've played in years.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of y'all need to play some worse video games and realize the difference between personal taste and actual criticism.

Instead of actual criticism I think it should be panned by critics/gamers or scored low on some sites like metacritic or something. I think it's a much better metrics than providing an actual criticism since personal taste do play a role in criticizing a game for some; like gameplay, control, story, etc... There might be a game that is highly regarded and some might consider game of the year/decade but if there's a mechanic that someone really dislike that it feels like it is the worst game of the year/decade then that game would suck for them.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV

ER8kwy-VUAYpMjE.jpg

Loved them being on a big road trip, all their banter and fun. Too bad there's not much else fun in that game and when the game leaves the open world in its second half all fun was sucked out of it. For that reason I can't just bring myself to ever play it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go one step further and point out I did a entire video about the development of El Shaddai because of how much I love that game. I really do try to highlight the good over the bad. It's not black and white for me, I adore flawed games. But I'm comfortable saying what games outright suck.

Great video, thanks for posting. You have a great voice for this.

Very informative as well, I actually learned a lot about a game I spent a fairly bit of time discussing and reading about. That's not very common at all for youtube videos.

This game is amazing, I wonder how it looks running on an emulator.

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think some of y'all need to play some worse video games and realize the difference between personal taste and actual criticism.

I understand you three may not like Red Dead Redemption, Untitled Goose Game or Resident Evil 7, but you're on a different planet if you'd classify them as games that "suck", even if for your personal taste you didn't like em'.
What are you expecting from people that say perfectly playable and designed games are trash? Hyperbole at its best.
Anyway, it's also mega Man x7 for me.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Your video is awesome! I knew vague stuff about The Book of Enoch before playing the game, but I really liked how much background you gave on the game's history. That was really great work, honestly. Thanks again for sharing :D

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Actually though most of RE7's scenarios past the prologue section aren't overtly scripted, one thing RE7 does really, really well is make situations seem scripted when they're really not, or if they're scripted there's deeper mechanical plays happening. Two great examples of this is the first Garage boss fight where you fight Jack. The boss fight has four different outcomes based entirely on player action and response, and it changes how the fight goes dramatically. You can take control of the car and kill Jack with it, you can start the car and Jack tries to suicide you both, you can start the car but Jack pulls you out and does it in-tact, Jack can force start the car, or the car can avoid coming into play. What happens is based entirely on what the player is doing during the fight. Likewise, there's a famous scene where Jack bursts through a wall, but you can go the whole game and never encounter this. This scene actually only triggers if Jack is near the Kitchen area when the player is passing down the hallway adjacent to it.

RE7 has a lot of "context-sensitive" moments, events that only trigger if the right things fall into place based on how the player is playing the game.
I appreciate your post, something about these systems came together poorly for me. I think I got up to the second house and the middle age woman fell down a massive drop and like a second later she came out of nowhere and it felt like she just teleported, and I didn't buy into the illusion of feeling like I was in that horror story.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I want to do a bit of an experiment. Tell me your arguments why these games suck at what they're trying to be and accomplish. Criticsm is fine, but what really makes it suck?

What makes Resident Evil 7 suck as a first-person horror-adventure game in comparison to other titles in the field, what are its weaknesses and define it as a game that sucks within it's field? Makes it worse than it competition and other entries beneath its genre label?

What makes Goose Game suck in the field of experimental comedy physics-based games, games focused on player interaction cause and effect for comedic purposes? What makes it suck so much more than the rest of its peers? What does it do worse that define it as an entry that sucks among the rest?
Saying they suck garners a bigger reaction.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

Happily. If we're going to frame UGG as a comedy we need to understand how humor and joke function. Humor is at it's very base level, amusement or entertained delight. A funny looking guy getting kicked in the balls or someone realizing they just locked their keys in their car. It's not very complex, it's fairly straight forward but it's a common laugh that people of all ages all over the world enjoy.

Now jokes on the other hand are actually riddles and puzzles. The trick is to hide the humor and give it's reveal before the audience can decode the punchline. I'm sure everyone can relate to not enjoying a joke because they "saw it coming" And the best jokes have you laughing years later because of how well they're designed.

UGG has humor, a rude goose with a funny walk, and exactly one joke, an ending I wont spoil. Everything else a series of unconnected events that simply are not funny? That's a pretty bold statement, right? How can I declare something isn't funny? Well to do that we need to examine the gameplay before we push forward.

To run as the goose is enjoyable. To honk as the goose is amusing. Is hiding fun? No. Is slowly stealth walking as the goose entertaining? No. So the two most fun things to do in the game are, by design, discouraged. Not that it would matter, there's no consequences, which means there's no tension, which means the emotion doesn't naturally rise and events rarely escalate.

And even IF somehow you were able to disagree on the missions themselves, they're not funny because we're TOLD what the punchline is from the get go because they're listed objectives. We're told the the end of the joke and slowly act it out, which again has no tension.

And why are the objectives listed? Because plays would never naturally do the unfun, uninteresting, uninspired things players must complete to proceed.

In short, the game does not want you to run and honk, which is everyone's instinct. So the very impulse of the player is pushed aside for boring, slow, poorly designed, tension free stealth missions. And the "jokes" are telegraphed from the very start in the objectives list.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Great video, thanks for posting. You have a great voice for this.

Very infformative as well, I actually learned a lot about a game I spent a fairly bit of time discussing and reading about. That's not very common at all for youtube videos.

This game is amazing, I wonder how it looks running on an emulator.

Hey thanks! It's actually a pretty unpopular video because no one knows the game very well. That means a lot!

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018

Pretty to look at but playing it is just going through the motions with nothing interesting going on other than the visuals.

Yeah this one. Its a very eye pleasing yet one of the most mundane and boring games i ever played. The gameplay was straight bad if you can call it gameplay at all.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
This was the first game I thought of. It's gorgeous, and I treated it more like experiencing art than a game I wanted to play and beat (though I did beat it). I don't know if it's controversial, but I didn't think the game was very interesting. It's not bad, but it's sorta dull.
Honestly that's how I feel. The game is beautiful to look at, and the art style is amazing in pretty much every section of the game. But the gameplay is so average that I honestly don't remember anything outside of it looking beautiful.

Weird thing to own. Didn't the game get sorta sequel with The Lost Child? I know Lucifel is in it at least.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Everything is relative, the "worse" videogames you mentioned can be better for other players.

I didn't play the Goose game and my opinion about RE7 is mostly "it's ok but nothing great", but I absolutely agree that both RDR games play really bad, even most of the "worse" games I've played are often more fun than these two cluncky adventure/action/simulation games.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
I think a lot of the Amiga library would count. There are a lot of games with an awesome style but just baaad gameplay.

For example Techno Cop looked nice, but its unplayable:
technocop_04.png

Or Future Wars: Time Travelers -> Awesome style but an adventure game with bad puzzles. Bad as in "i didn't pick up some stuff 4 hours ago, now I am stuck".
future_wars_02.png

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I loved this game until I realised how short it was. Usually, the length of a game is not something I critique, but this game just had three levels.

Still, this game is way better than the mainline Epic Mickey games in both aesthetic and functionality despite Oswald's limited presence.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017

I understand you three may not like Red Dead Redemption, Untitled Goose Game or Resident Evil 7, but you're on a different planet if you'd classify them as games that "suck", even if for your personal taste you didn't like em'.
Not speaking for the others, but nah, I'm not beholden to this meme that a game has to be straight broken as the only way for a game to be criticized or bad. I do not care how technically impressive red dead is, it's gameplay is straight dull and lousy in measurable ways.

The aiming is busted to the point that it functions only as a lock on shooter; the lock on shooting takes away what little depth there is to a cover shooter, most of the missions are brain dead linear and rigid, entire stretches of that game are tedious chores in between actual action.

It's fine if yah like thing or that it's celebrated as a classic. But I don't think of gameplay as a negotiable part of video games, but the most important part about a video game. And red dead is a lousy third person shooter that has a whole lot of missions where I am told to play out a third person shooter.

A bunch of people liking thing is not a get out of suck free card, that is a fallacy.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The aesthetic of Anthem made me want to play it. Felt like I got played instead of me playing it.

Complete opposite example: Max Payne 3. The game feels better than any Rockstar Game. But I HATE the setting and story, and even Max's look.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the Amiga library would count. There are a lot of games with an awesome style but just baaad gameplay.

For example Techno Cop looked nice, but its unplayable:
technocop_04.png

Or Future Wars: Time Travelers -> Awesome style but an adventure game with bad puzzles. Bad as in "i didn't pick up some stuff 4 hours ago, now I am stuck".
future_wars_02.png
I loved Future Wars but I guess I was lucky to not get perma-stuck.

For Amiga games, Blade Warrior comes to mind.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Most indie games do this so well like Gris and Sayonara Wildhearts.

Pure style and atmosphere.

Edit: sorry I missed the part about games that suck that have style and stuff. These games do not suck.

Feb 21, 2018
Cuphead, loved the art, music, and animations but the gameplay was terrible. "Git Good" isn't a fun game mechanic, none of my friends and family will ever help me in co-op due to the difficulty so I ended up putting the game on the shelf somewhere in the 2nd world.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017

This happens every time there's a thread like this. They're just well loved, critical darlings, so you'll have people that can't wait to jump into threads like this to post a counter culture opinion, shit posting, as they're called, in a childish attempt to troll others. Many people liked this thing, I did not like this thing, therefore I can't wait to tell people that the thing sucked. It's a cry for a attention. Notice also that OP said not to answer with one word, and yet one of the first replies is a lazy ass photo of box art and nothing else. The reading comprehension and general level of discourse around here is pre high school grade these days.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler is one of the most beautiful but also one of the most dull games I've played in years.
Have to agree with that. I like the battle system but I expected much more about NPC interactions and interaction between party members. Bought it day 1 for switch but never finished to this day.

Oct 28, 2017
Killzone 2
Hold up pretty well after 10 years, Helghan looks like the hellhole it should be. But man, it has input lag like you are trying to control one of the Voyagers with your Dualshock 3.
Actually God of War: Ascension on PS3 has the same problem. Even when it hits 30 fps, it feels awful to play. I had to try out OG God of War and GOW 2 on PS2 and they feel so much tighter to control. No wonder people didn't like Ascension.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This happens every time there's a thread like this. They're just well loved, critical darlings, so you'll have people that can't wait to jump into threads like this to post a counter culture opinion, shit posting, as they're called, in a childish attempt to troll others. Many people liked this thing, I did not like this thing, therefore I can't wait to tell people that the thing sucked. It's a cry for a attention. Notice also that OP said not to answer with one word, and yet one of the first replies is a lazy ass photo of box art and nothing else. The reading comprehension and general level of discourse around here is pre high school grade these days.
They're not shit posting if they have a history of not liking the game and discussed in the thread why they don't like it. That seems unfair.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Happily. If we're going to frame UGG as a comedy we need to understand how humor and joke function. Humor is at it's very base level, amusement or entertained delight. A funny looking guy getting kicked in the balls or someone realizing they just locked their keys in their car. It's not very complex, it's fairly straight forward but it's a common laugh that people of all ages all over the world enjoy.

Now jokes on the other hand are actually riddles and puzzles. The trick is to hide the humor and give it's reveal before the audience can decode the punchline. I'm sure everyone can relate to not enjoying a joke because they "saw it coming" And the best jokes have you laughing years later because of how well they're designed.

UGG has humor, a rude goose with a funny walk, and exactly one joke, an ending I wont spoil. Everything else a series of unconnected events that simply are not funny? That's a pretty bold statement, right? How can I declare something isn't funny? Well to do that we need to examine the gameplay before we push forward.

To run as the goose is enjoyable. To honk as the goose is amusing. Is hiding fun? No. Is slowly stealth walking as the goose entertaining? No. So the two most fun things to do in the game are, by design, discouraged. Not that it would matter, there's no consequences, which means there's no tension, which means the emotion doesn't naturally rise and events rarely escalate.

And even IF somehow you were able to disagree on the missions themselves, they're not funny because we're TOLD what the punchline is from the get go because they're listed objectives. We're told the the end of the joke and slowly act it out, which again has no tension.

And why are the objectives listed? Because plays would never naturally do the unfun, uninteresting, uninspired things players must complete to proceed.

In short, the game does not want you to run and honk, which is everyone's instinct. So the very impulse of the player is pushed aside for boring, slow, poorly designed, tension free stealth missions. And the "jokes" are telegraphed from the very start in the objectives list.
Thank you for taking the time to break down your thoughts on the game, I admit I was challenging you a bit and before anything else I can appreciate someone going up to plate.

Now my actual thoughts first go to how "Comedy Games" are still relatively rare and a bit hard to pull off. Untitled Goose Game I should also clarify isn't super my cup of tea, but I can appreciate some of their solutions to things and keeping it simple. The type of humor it invests in I would put to those "Prank" type of shows where you see the same thing happen to multiple people and see their reactions, except with player interaction as the goose. That also isn't entirely my cup of tea, but I can also understand why it garners an audience.

The game does miss an element of the unexpected though, it does slowly escalate the gameplay scenarios but as a comedy game it is a bit one-note. That said, I found it more confident and delivering on a simple premise than many comedy games I see manage to do competently, the comparison my own mind keeps on going back to for one reason or another despite it being a very different sorta' game is Jazzpunk, which is a game that plays differently and has a different sorta' comedy style to Goose Game, doesn't even have the same gameplay, but both focus on comedy mainly focused on what I'll call "one note character comedy". You do things that mess with people in the environments and get their reactions.

I'd say one thing Goose Game does better than Jazzpunk is you can more freely be rude. I think the appeal for many is you can be a bit mischievous and rude to the characters, though I also understand your perspective better on why you feel that falls flat. I think the appeal for many is just the desire to be mischievous. It can be debated if it accomplishes that, but it's a rather condensed series of hijinks and both thinking how to go about accomplishing your tasks while also having the window of possibilities to be mischievous in various other ways.

I'm not sure I'd agree it sucks in the field, but I understand your thoughts better now, and I appreciate you taking the time to better express them.

Mar 23, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

It's been yeaaaaaaaars but I remember being really creeped out by it. I don't really remember it being a great game. Probably good for its genre's era, tho.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nights of Azure (2)

Without going into the mediocre gameplay the game is like 20% too horny for me to give it a chance even though there's a lot I like about the aesthetics and feel.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. The game itself just never felt right to me. Combat felt jank and the "platforming" felt scripted and uninteresting, which sucks because it was talked up as a good hidden gem for fans of action and platforming games (at least when I saw it recommended). Visually and lore wise, I thought it was fantastic and did "post apocalyptic" in a somewhat different way than a lot of other games (I played it YEARS ago but I remember a lot of color and interesting set pieces), which makes the mediocrity of the rest of the game all the more disappointing to me.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles for sure.

Evil_Twin_-_Cyprien%27s_Chronicles_Coverart.png

At its core it is just a decent platform game with a pair of interesting mechanics.

Yet, the aestetics are gorgeous and the world is simply wonderful.

Have a look:

A sequel was in development, yet it was cancelled.

In particular, have a look at the rags world, entirely made of cloth, with buttons and stripes everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.