• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
DON'T GIVE ONE WORD ANSWERS

This is Mega Man X7 to me.

This is a bad game. I love Mega Man and I can't bring myself to like this game.

But I think it's the pinnacle of the blocky X series artstyle. The artwork for this game is fire, and new characters like Axl have great designs. I remember looking at artwork for the game before it was released and getting pretty excited to see it in action.

latest

The game has a street level, underground feel to it. Instead of fighting a war you're fighting a bunch of robot thugs and vigilantes. Red Alert is essentially a fringe Maverick Hunter group that doesn't play by the rules, and like the Repliforce from Mega Man X4, the conflict has a bit more depth to it than just putting down robots who have gone insane.

image06.jpg

mmx7.jpg

The music can be pretty great at times, too.

I think it's a real shame that the game itself ended up being a major dud, because they were on to something with the aesthetic, here.

Any other examples?

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

I'm of the less than popular opinion that a crazy graphics engine and story with a lot of potential got entirely wasted on boring grey-brown tunnels, alleyways and hallways. There are a few standout vistas and scenes (the harbor comes to mind) but you spend soooo much time of that short, short game looking at impeccably rendered, entirely exchangeable looking tapestry. That game not only suffers from dreadful encounter design, AI & stealth sequences but also from less than stellar art direction imo. Again, I know not many people agree with me on that and I'm entirely OK with that^^

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty to look at but playing it is just going through the motions with nothing interesting going on other than the visuals.

Last edited:

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I'm probably in a minority here, but I love looking at Bioshock. I just don't like playing it at all.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Oh do I have the game for you!

220px-RuleofRose.jpg

Rule of Rose almost fits this topic's idea to a T. The story, the art direction, the music, the atmosphere, etc., are actually stellar. Everything about the game is done with some real tact and artistry... Except the gameplay, which is mundane and a bit dull at best and actually frustrating at worst. But there's a lot of good things about it.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Red Dead Redemption. The playing it part is shit, but the music, the first time you enter Mexico, the whole vibe is kino. You know till the playing it part.

Would post a bunch of horror games as well. Like Doom 3 looked really cool and had some decent jump scares, but again the playing it part was such shit.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
IMO Resident Evil 7, good premise with Bakers hunting you and good art design, bad over scripted and shallow gameplay.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption. The playing it part is shit, but the music, the first time you enter Mexico, the whole vibe is kino. You know till the playing it part.

Would post a bunch of horror games as well. Like Doom 3 looked really cool and had some decent jump scares, but again the playing it part was such shit.
untitled goose game has some of the best character design I've seen in recent memory and yet I think it plays like absolute trash. It's not even that will design, as a game I mean.
IMO Resident Evil 7, good premise with Bakers hunting you and good art design, bad over scripted and shallow gameplay.
I think some of y'all need to play some worse video games and realize the difference between personal taste and actual criticism.

I understand you three may not like Red Dead Redemption, Untitled Goose Game or Resident Evil 7, but you're on a different planet if you'd classify them as games that "suck", even if for your personal taste you didn't like em'.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Eduardo the Samurai Toaster... Sort of? I mean at the time it was released?

I was such a thirsty Wiiware slut

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Doom 3. Love how grimy and horror oriented its visuals are but playing it is a total drag.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Kane and Lynch 2 is a good example. The game did a lot of interesting things with its visuals and atmosphere, but it wasn't very fun to play.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of y'all need to play some worse video games and realize the difference between personal taste and actual criticism.

I understand you three may not like Red Dead Redemption, Untitled Goose Game or Resident Evil 7, but you're on a different planet if you'd classify them as games that "suck", even if for your personal taste you didn't like em'.
Personal opinion and criticism are generally the same thing. I love RDR as well but anyone can include popular games.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

Excuse me, I spent years playing the absolute worst of PSN. Bullfighting Simulators, gawd damn Yorbi Payback's A Bolt. I have played some of the worst games of all time. I'm educated as fuck. Goose Game is a poorly designed, poorly paced, bad game.

If you disagree, fine. But I know what I'm talking about.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hunt: Showdown.

"suck" might be a bit much, but it legitimately is borderline unplayable because the controls are so awful (at least on PS4 and at this moment). That also seems like a thing people have opinions on, but for me, I just can't adjust.

Atmosphere, enemy design and sound are all fucking fantastic, though.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Personal opinion and criticism are generally the same thing.
But I think he's saying that they should try to be a little more objective. Obviously Red Dead and RE7 aren't poorly made games (though I really don't love Read Dead 2). I honestly feel hard-pressed to say El Shaddai sucks, but that's because I've played through games like Rogue Warrior. I know shitty games haha. Dusk Golem absolutely knows, too.
Excuse me, I spent years playing the absolute worst of PSN. Bullfighting Simulators, gawd damn Yorbi Payback's A Bolt. I have played some of the worst games of all time. I'm educated as fuck. Goose Game is a poorly designed, poorly paced, bad game.

But this is also fine. Can't really judge, because I haven't played UGG.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 would be my answer, it has the best aesthetic & atmosphere for a modern Doom game.
I just love how metal & hellish the color pattern is for the key visual.

latest

Opened the thread to say this! Playing on Switch for the first time as a long time Doom fan and man is this game just dripping with it. That dark art, intense light paired with mediocre gunplay and uninspired level design. Did they really need to put a crane game in a Doom campaign...?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Personal opinion and criticism are generally the same thing. I love RDR as well but anyone can include popular games.
I want to do a bit of an experiment. Tell me your arguments why these games suck at what they're trying to be and accomplish. Criticsm is fine, but what really makes it suck?

What makes Resident Evil 7 suck as a first-person horror-adventure game in comparison to other titles in the field, what are its weaknesses and define it as a game that sucks within it's field? Makes it worse than it competition and other entries beneath its genre label?

What makes Goose Game suck in the field of experimental comedy physics-based games, games focused on player interaction cause and effect for comedic purposes? What makes it suck so much more than the rest of its peers? What does it do worse that define it as an entry that sucks among the rest?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Oh do I have the game for you!

220px-RuleofRose.jpg

Rule of Rose almost fits this topic's idea to a T. The story, the art direction, the music, the atmosphere, etc., are actually stellar. Everything ab out the game is done with some real tact and artistry... Except the gameplay, which is mundane and a bit dull at best and actually frustrating at worst. But there's a lot of good things about it.

This is the best answer. Rule of Rose is awesome until you have to control it. I'd love to see it somehow reimagined with like 90% less gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
But why?

Isn't it better for others to accept that, to them, these are examples of games that suck? Why should anyone subject themselves to worse games just so they can have less unpopular opinions?

This is also a thread about games that suck but have GREAT aesthetic/atmosphere. A lot of the examples of truly horrible shit that no one would disagree also look like complete garbage.

This isn't the thread to bring up asset flips, this is a thread about well made games you hated.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
But I think he's saying that they should try to be a little more objective. Obviously Red Dead and RE7 aren't poorly made games (though I really don't love Read Dead 2). I honestly feel hard-pressed to say El Shaddai sucks, but that's because I've played through games like Rogue Warrior. I know shitty games haha. Dusk Golem absolutely knows, too.

But this is also fine. Can't really judge, because I haven't played UGG.

I'll go one step further and point out I did a entire video about the development of El Shaddai because of how much I love that game. I really do try to highlight the good over the bad. It's not black and white for me, I adore flawed games. But I'm comfortable saying what games outright suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.