• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I was around back then, I went online first time on a C64, and I can assure you that among all the people I know that played on PC back then I was the only one applying mods.

They were NOT a mainstream thing and saying otherwise is the REAL revisionism.

So you were applying mods back then, but think you were some kind of special snowflake among PC gamers?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, lets bring the discourse down a little here. We can discuss and debate our experiences without escalating.

Thank you.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Counter-Strike is a mod. Tens of millions were playing it. To say modding wasn't mainstream is insane.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So you were applying mods back then, but think you were some kind of special snowflake among PC gamers?

I think - or, better, i know - that they were not a mainstream thing, so, AGAIN, saying that something "could be modded in" in 2001 is something very, very wrong in this thread.

Again, if you imagine a common person in 2001 (common = regular PC user, buy a game, install, double click on the icon to play) being able in 2001 to find, download, apply mods on a game, then I think that your parallel universe would have been more interesting than mine. I guess that 1 out of 1000 PC players tinkered with mods back then, and I'm probably being large with the estimate.

And I close here, because, we are horribly OT at this point and I really think that we are going nowhere with this interesting excursion in alternate 2001.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
And their usage - AGAIN - was not spread among users back then.

When you had to have:
- An internet connection (NOT a given in 2001...)
- Tools to manage the mods
- Way to find-download the mods.
- Generally you had-to-know-whate-you-were-doing when installing a mod (and AGAIN, I'm not talking about WADS or total conversion: I'm talking about game-changing mods)

Today in Steam you install/enable a MOD with a click, back then they were for hardcore PC users, NOT mainsteam things.

So, if I say that game XX on console had this extra content, in the vein of this thread, and you reply to me "There were mods", you are simply derailing the thread and projecting on the PC user base of 2001 something that was NOT wide-spread.

Is that really a difficult concept to understand?

Also if I cite a console-specific feature and you say "Meh, yeah, someone modded it in on PC two years later", then this is NOT what this thread is about.

this is total nonsense, even though I do agree the PS2 version of HL was great. Mods were a huge part of PC gaming and not just for the hardest of the hardcore. For a lot of games it was as easy as downloading a file and plopping it into a folder called "mods" or "maps" or whatever—it wasn't rocket science.

if you were gaming at all on pc in 2001 you were probably aware of mods. they weren't some hidden underground thing. there were entire websites and businesses that popped up and flourished around hosting them

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird to say modding wasn't mainstream in the 90's/early 2000's (for as mainstream as PC gaming was in the 90's/early 2000's, which wasn't massively) when every single PC magazine regularly had "Top 100 mods for *popular game of the time*" CDs, and they got passed around school/college regularly.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
There's a case to be made for the Genesis version of Dune 2 which came out a few years later in 1994. Ported by Westwood themselves with some improvements to the presentation, and the more limited scope of such an early RTS made the pace of the action pretty manageable to play with a controller.

Nah.

1. It's missing a ton of missions
2. The unit cap is less than half the pc version
3. Despite the tiny unit cap the game is plagued by slowdown in later stages
4. They redid the art and for some reason made all the buildings 4x larger. This makes laying out your base far more annoying and it exacerbated the games dodgy path finding as units have a hard time getting around these huge ass structures
5. Game pad. I mean seriously.

It's a commendable effort and better then one would expect but it isn't a patch on the DOS original.

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
I find it weird to say modding wasn't mainstream in the 90's/early 2000's (for as mainstream as PC gaming was in the 90's/early 2000's, which wasn't massively) when every single PC magazine regularly had "Top 100 mods for *popular game of the time*" CDs, and they got passed around school/college regularly.

Also true. I even forgot about that. CD's in gaming magazines over here had a mods section. Then you had mod only cd's that you echange with friends.

I honest to god have no idea what Stef is talking about. Its a concrete fact that moding existed and was fundemental in the 90's. Why is he making it sound like some obtuse, arcane art reserved for the most elite of intelectuals i dont get.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I think - or, better, i know - that they were not a mainstream thing, so, AGAIN, saying that something "could be modded in" in 2001 is something very, very wrong in this thread.

Again, if you imagine a common person in 2001 (common = regular PC user, buy a game, install, double click on the icon to play) being able in 2001 to find, download, apply mods on a game, then I think that your parallel universe would have been more interesting than mine. I guess that 1 out of 1000 PC players tinkered with mods back then, and I'm probably being large with the estimate.

And I close here, because, we are horribly OT at this point and I really think that we are going nowhere with this interesting excursion in alternate 2001.
Mods were absolutely as mainstream back then as they are today, possibly moreso. That way the golden age of mods. Counter strike, team fortress, desert storm, natural selection, star wars battlefield 1942, aeon of strife, almost endless examples. These mods were being distributed via dial up and discs on magazines. Back then mods were at the forefront of multiplayer gameplay. I literally have no idea how you can think otherwise.

Last edited:

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Stef, FFS, I played ALOT of mods during the whole 90's and the first Internet connection I had was in 1999.
During those days PC maganizes with CD-ROM were a widespread thing.

Your point that PS2 version of Half-Life has an edge over the original PC version stands though.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Also true. I even forgot about that. CD's in gaming magazines over here had a mods section. Then you had mod only cd's that you echange with friends.

I honest to god have no idea what Stef is talking about. Its a concrete fact that moding existed and was fundemental in the 90's. Why is he making it sound like some obtuse, arcane art reserved for the most elite of intelectuals i dont get.

I was modding Quake before I even had internet access. Magazine discs came with both mods and modding tools.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
As other have said, I think every version of an arcade game that was on the NAOMI was better on the Dreamcast. That's one of the reasons people like that console so much.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
all home version of street fighter alpha 3 is better than the arcade version

Haha no, well maybe the PS2 version found in the Alpha Anthology collection, since it had all the dip switch options and allowed for Alpha 3 Arranged with all the console characters while maintaining the vanilla CPS2 version's gameplay.

The only version of A3 I'd recommend is the CPS2 game followed by the one in the PS2 collection. It was already dug deep into at the time of its release by many in the scene.

In general (with the exception of the PS2 version in the collection), all the home ports of Alpha 3 are bad (along with Zero 3 Upper, the Naomi Arcade port of the Dreamcast version of A3, was just the coin op reverse port).

Alpha 3 the home versions, from PSX to Saturn to Dreamcast to PSP are only "good", if you just want to play it as a single player game for World Tour Mode.

And for those that don't know, Capcom would always meddle with the Alpha 3 home ports trying to rebalance, leading to something much worse.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Haha no, well maybe the PS2 version found in the Alpha Anthology collection, since it had all the dip switch options and allowed for Alpha 3 Arranged with all the console characters while maintaining the vanilla CPS2 version's gameplay.

The only version of A3 I'd recommend is the CPS2 game followed by the one in the PS2 collection. It was already dug deep into at the time of its release by many in the scene.

In general (with the exception of the PS2 version in the collection), all the home ports of Alpha 3 are bad (along with Zero 3 Upper, the Naomi Arcade port of the Dreamcast version of A3, was just the coin op reverse port).

Alpha 3 the home versions, from PSX to Saturn to Dreamcast to PSP are only "good", if you just want to play it as a single player game for World Tour Mode.

And for those that don't know, Capcom would always meddle with the Alpha 3 home ports trying to rebalance, leading to something much worse.

The Saturn version of the home ports is the closest in animation frames and hitboxes. They messed up the hitboxes a lot with the Naomi/DC revision. The PSX version is decent and matches the arcade resolution closely but has a lot of animation frames missing.

The Saturn also had an enhanced dramatic Battle mode that works for the whole cast rather than just boss characters and received the addition of Reverse Dramatic Battle, where any 3 characters can fight, exclusive to this version.

The only notch against the Saturn version is the slightly squashed display - 352x224 vs 384x224 of the arcade version and slightly lengthened load times.

The PS2 anthology versions is the superior one sure, but don't count the Saturn version out.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The Saturn version of the home ports is the closest in animation frames and hitboxes. They messed up the hitboxes a lot with the Naomi/DC revision. The PSX version is decent and matches the arcade resolution closely but has a lot of animation frames missing.

The Saturn also had an enhanced dramatic Battle mode that works for the whole cast rather than just boss characters and received the addition of Reverse Dramatic Battle, where any 3 characters can fight, exclusive to this version.

The only notch against the Saturn version is the slightly squashed display - 352x224 vs 384x224 of the arcade version.

The PS2 anthology versions is the superior one sure, but don't count the Saturn version out.

The Saturn version has rebalanced Dhalsim, that alone disqualifies it. Hell, the PSX version played closer to the CPS2 version than the Saturn version did. Arcade perfect isn't just graphics.

All the console ports but the PS2 version are bad, period.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
The Saturn version has rebalanced Dhalsim, that alone disqualifies it. Hell, the PSX version played closer to the CPS2 version than the Saturn version did. Arcade perfect isn't just graphics.

All the console ports but the PS2 version are bad, period.

Damn, I did not know that, what a bummer. Is their a list for all these changes?

I wouldn't consider them all 'bad' however - sure I understand in relation to this thread we are talking arcade perfect or better but you don't have to be a purist to a have a lot of fun with the various versions. Its good to talk about their flaws but its not necessary to speak in absoloutes.

Alpha 3 was the first time the PSX had a CPS port with such care taken, Alpha & 2 really struggled on the hardware.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Strider Megadrive is absolutely not superior to the Arcade version (even if Sega did a wonderful job) but outside of the X68k version it's the next best non emulated thing

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Mods were absolutely as mainstream back then as they are today, possibly moreso. That way the golden age of mods. Counter strike, team fortress, desert storm, natural selection, star wars battlefield 1942, aeon of strife, almost endless examples. These mods were being distributed via dial up and discs on magazines. Back then mods were at the forefront of multiplayer gameplay. I literally have no idea how you can think otherwise.

honestly definitely moreso. we've lost so much amazing mod potential thanks to always online requirements and the death of server browsers. if anything, PC games outside of the handful that support and encourage modding these days have lost modding as an advantage compared to console ports for the most part

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Back then, when the PS2 version was released, they were a minor thing.
back then (2001) PC Mods weren't that common
What I mean is that game-mods were not that common among users in 2001
And what I'm trying to communicate is that mods were not THAT spread among PC users back then.

🤔

What in the world...

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Would like to hear more detail on Strider Genesis/Megadrive. I've never played but it looks like it's a marginally worse version of the arcade game from videos.

Chelnov MD always seemed better than Chelnov AC to me. Significant visual reworking, seems harder:

Chelnov_(Japan).png
vs
chelnov.png
Yeah, Atomic Runner is much better on the MD than in the Arcades.
Always loved that game.

Druida

Nov 22, 2017

When you had to have:
- An internet connection (NOT a given in 2001...)
- Tools to manage the mods
- Way to find-download the mods.
- Generally you had-to-know-whate-you-were-doing when installing a mod (and AGAIN, I'm not talking about WADS or total conversion: I'm talking about game-changing mods)
Different magazines did several CDs mods compilations of DOOM, Quake, Half life etc.