• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
deadly premonition. the game's reputation is pretty positive these days, despite getting some terrible reviews at launch.

tenor.gif

2 is irredeemable trash tho

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if it was remade so that it wasn't chopped up into tiny pieces it might be okay but I haven't seen many people call it good. It just isn't fun to play constantly running into loading screens.

I remember strong hate for it when it hit and some years after because it "wasn't Deus Ex", but post-Human Revolution it seems to have been upgraded to "actually a pretty good game in the series, just not as good as the first and with some technical issues"

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Both SaGa Frontier and Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song. The series may be somewhat of an acquired taste, but they also don't really match genre conventions for any specific type of RPG.

Man I need to give these a try. Only one in the series I ever touched was Unlimited SaGa, which I'm pretty sure has a rep that still hasn't been rehabilitated.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
EA REALLY turned star wars battlefront II (the modern one) around, and I've heard they did the same for BFV

Oh I'd also say elder scrolls online.

And lmao FFXIV was probably the biggest one. They took down the entire game and practically remade it with a realm reborn.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
This was my choice

I seem to remember it being considered the worst in the series back in the day and now I often see people calling it the best

It did something very cool: to be a Big Daddy in a sunken dystopia, much much cooler with Big Sister haunting you, other Big Daddies to fight, lots of splicers to hurdle off with your enormous machinery and plasmid + weapon combo and an awesome spnioff short DLC (Minerva's Den) and there you have it.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need to give these a try. Only one in the series I ever touched was Unlimited SaGa, which I'm pretty sure has a rep that still hasn't been rehabilitated.

US has a few super critical design flaws that make it a bear to play, but most of the complaints are just bad expectations about how things should function. It makes a lot more sense as a reinterpretation of how to adapt pen-and-pencil RPGs into a digital space.

SaGa Frontier Remastered looks phenomenal and seems like one of the best remasters of a 90s RPG to see release.

Minstrel Song (58 on Metacritic!) needs a remaster, but the dilemma is how to handle it given that there's a SF version, a Wonderswan verison, and the PS2 remake. PS2 remake with some heavy work is the best candidate IMO, but there's also purists that will defend the Super Famicom game.

I'm a strong advocate for believing that SaGa Scarlet Grace is one of Square's best games. It doesn't fit firmly within JRPG conventions, but the tapestry of mechanics and design fit together in way that virtually no other RPG can contend with.

This was my choice

I seem to remember it being considered the worst in the series back in the day and now I often see people calling it the best

Arkham Origins might be in the same category? I'm playing it now 8 years after I played City, and think that a lot of this is really damn great. Recent players don't seem to think of it as an inferior B-team production like the first perception seemed.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Mass Effect Andromeda

No Man's Sky

Legend of Zelda Windwaker

Yeah those are my 3.

I think No Man's Sky in the condition it was at release is still regarded as poor, but people have acknowledged that it's evolved into something far, far better.

Well yeah but this is just in general so it still fits.

MGS2 and Halo 2

Both games were reviled when they came out because of the character switch aspect. Halo 2 people hated because of the abrupt ending and people thought MGS2 was some matrix techno-bable nonsense.

But today Halo 2 is considered the best Halo game by many and MGS2 is considered a postmodern masterpiece because of how it predicted the future and how radicalization and internet culture would work.

VYvziRoX_OiaLs8YWfRz-KfTaoTY9Xja9XGJ6pR2D1I.jpg

Well that's certainly a take. I'm not sure I remember anyone saying they hated those two games when they came out. Disappointed because they didn't meet personal expectations? Sure, probably by quite a few. Hated though? Nah. Halo 2 still to this day for me has some of the best MP I've played and MGS2 was a cinematic masterpiece that subverted expectations. Hardly "hated".

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's just the case of all the bad stuff being immediately talked about at launch, rather than people later discovering good stuff, and there being enough distance from the original trilogy (1 and 2 specifically) that people forgot what a great Mass Effect game was even like.

Plus I bet most of those good reviews bought it for like $5-10 on sale (if not free with EA's subscription service), rather than the full $60 disappointment it was at launch.

Everything good about it was already talked about at launch (the shooting, and the environmental graphics), but everything bad about the game is still bad. Still has bugs like nav points being in the wrong position, still has laughable animations, still copy/pastes every Asari face other than PeeBee, still has a Star-Lord-wannabe main character, and still bloated with empty open world missions.

Maybe at this point new players know to skip the dozens of hours of open world missions and just stick to the main missions which would definitely improve the experience, but even those missions (with one or two exceptions, like the final story mission) feel like a direct-to-video Mass Effect.
Bioshock 2 is the first the comes to mind
Yeah, I avoided Bioshock 2 for years after hearing so much about how unnecessary it was to return to Rapture and that it wasn't as good as the first game.
But in a lot of ways I think I ended up liking it better than the first.

The gameplay loop felt very polished, I found the story perfectly engaging, and it has that great standalone DLC as well.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. At the time, the public wanted more Ocarina clones and many were left disappointed, which is utterly ridiculous.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
What usually happens is a sequel to a popular game doesn't just provide more of the same - and maybe even plays very differently - so those who wanted more of what they loved get very vocal about it, but grow quieter as years pass and the sequel in question is viewed in a wider context.

That vocal minoroty is doubly loud if the game in question does well with critics.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I avoided Bioshock 2 for years after hearing so much about how unnecessary it was to return to Rapture and that it wasn't as good as the first game.
But in a lot of ways I think I ended up liking it better than the first.

The gameplay loop felt very polished, I found the story perfectly engaging, and it has that great standalone DLC as well.

gameplay wise, i think it is way better than the first one, and being a big daddy is really fun. But the story sounds like a filler arch of a really cool anime, not bad but far from relevant.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
What usually happens is a sequel to a popular game doesn't just provide more of the same - and maybe even plays very differently - so those who wanted more of what they loved get very vocal about it, but grow quieter as years pass and the sequel in question is viewed in a wider context.

That vocal minoroty is doubly loud if the game in question does well with critics.
I'd be more curious on which games of a new series this happened to without being completely overhauled by patches after launch

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I feel like nominating GaaS games isn't really in the spirit of the thread; the rehabilitation of No Man's Sky's image didn't happen because people went back and saw the good parts that were overlooked; it happened because it was turned into a much different game. It's not being judged on it's previously overlooked merits, they added new merits.

Bioshock 2 is the first the comes to mind
This would be my answer.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Spore has a reasonably positive reputation nowadays, it's 90%+ positive on Steam.

It took Twilight Princess for people to appreciate Wind Waker.

Wind Wakers reputation always ebbs and flows. It had a pretty positive reputation outside of the people who disliked the artstyle at launch, but then people complained about the Triforce hunt and stuff. And I'd say nowadays it's pretty normal for people to talk about the low quality of the dungeons, with it generally being regarded as having the worst 3D dungeons, along with BOTW. People tend to like WW nowadays for how it looks, the story and stuff like that.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Sorta Spec Ops: The Line. Originally, it came out with really mixed reviews and some controversy from gamers. There was some applause for it, but it undersold, had huge amounts of criticism, and was viewed as a one trick pony. Nowadays though, it has a solid reputation, is recognized as an important point in the history of actions games, has plenty of academic papers (mine included :) ), and has gone on to sell many more copies.

Also, Pathologic 1 never had much success among English audience till it was retranslated, although it did have a cult following.
Do you have a link to your paper?

One of the things that always struck me about spec ops the line is it seemingly is exactly what it hates.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
not sure about hated, I was pretty apprehensive about Paper Mario before it came out, and saw/heard similar sentiments
due to
-wasn't called SMRPG2, so wasn't a straight follow up
-no normal levelling up
-dealing 1-2 damage (this was a big deal at the time lol. It made the game seem really weird back then)
-no "stats"
-2 party members fighting instead of 3
-artsyle seemed weird at the time
-Bowser being the badguy after being on your team in SMRPG

when I actually played, everything I thought I didn't like (battle, art, damage numbers, etc) were actually great and I might like it better than SMRPG.
back then, I feel think nontraditional turn based rpgs seemed a lot weirder and worrysome. Which is why

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
header.jpg

Considered by many obsolete for its outdated 2.5D style and gameplay at launch, but regarded as the "true" Doom 3 today.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
header.jpg

Considered by many obsolete for its outdated 2.5D style and gameplay at launch, but regarded as the "true" Doom 3 today.
Most of my friends thought it was just a port of Doom on the N64 with a new coat of paint, more of a "been there, done that" vibe.

The Doom 64 EX "port," and nowadays the official re-release and their QoL improvements definitely helped elevate it's status in the Doom scene.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Ain't nothing changed about Mass Effect Andromeda. It's still a 6.5 experience.

Haha yeah you chose an "interesting" (absolutely terrible) SaGa to make your first exposure to the series.

SaGa Frontier is like my favorite PS1 RPG. I highly recommend that you check out the upcoming remaster, as it is going to be the definitive experience of the game and looks gorgeous.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I vote for all the Enix-published Quintet games. Especially Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

I feel like these games were mostly obscure "second rate" action RPGs at the time but now they are revered as classics.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I remember people not liking Final Fantasy 8 and especially 9 around release. Mostly just because it wasn't more like Final Fantasy 7.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first Nier for sure. When it released I heard nothing but mediocre things about it, but slowly over the years I kept hearing more and more people praising it.
Also feels like Twilight Princess gets talked about a bit more fondly nowadays, might be because of the rerelease on Wii U not sure.

May 10, 2019
The first Nier for sure. When it released I heard nothing but mediocre things about it, but slowly over the years I kept hearing more and more people praising it.

To be fair a vast majority of the perceived mediocrity was shaped by one reviewer (Justin McElroy) who absolutely refused to learn how to play the fishing mini-game that was completely elective in-game.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
up until BotW, it always felt like the *2nd to last Zelda* game was always overhated. Wind Waker didn't start getting the proper love from the fanbase until after Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess love was a lot more prominent after Skyward Sword. Hell I'm sure I don't have to tell y'all boomers how Skyward Sword reception has changed over the past 10 years. BotW was an instant classic moreso than any other Zelda I mentioned. I'm curious how that reception will hold up in another 6 years.
What's funny is the Zelda rule still applies now lol. I see more BOTW haters nowadays then I ever did post launch.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I had no idea Myst was controversial back when it released, could you develop a bit ?

I would say Super Mario 3D World, it was criticized for being the sequel of a handheld game, and for not being like Galaxy or Mario 64.
I was one of the people who didn't like 3d world when it was announced. Going from Mario launching into space to Mario in a Catsuit in the 3d New Super Mario Bros gameplay was dissapointing.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the Mega Man Battle Network games existed and were successful frustrated a whole bunch of Classic and X fans in its heyday.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Age 2 definitely. When it came out everyone hated it but now a lot of people see it's merits and think that it's version of the story is really cool.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I vote for all the Enix-published Quintet games. Especially Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

I feel like these games were mostly obscure "second rate" action RPGs at the time but now they are revered as classics.

Nah, Illusion of Gaia in particular was really big at the time. Sold a ton and viewed very positively.

Earthbound's more of an apt choice IMO. At the time, people thought it was weird & it didn't do that well. Now it's considered one of the best games of the era.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the people who didn't like 3d world when it was announced. Going from Mario launching into space to Mario in a Catsuit in the 3d New Super Mario Bros gameplay was dissapointing.

I wish NSMB games were as inventive with enemy design as 3D World... that would be a big part of making them much more interesting.

You'd also never get anything like the Mario Kart stage in an NSMB game. Or well... most of the staged designs.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, Illusion of Gaia in particular was really big at the time. Sold a ton and viewed very positively.

Earthbound's more of an apt choice IMO. At the time, people thought it was weird & it didn't do that well. Now it's considered one of the best games of the era.

Yeah I agree with you on Earthbound. Though I definitely liked it much more at launch than I did playing it later.

I'm surprised Gaia sold well; I thought it was the coolest shit ever when it came out, but it's definitely a weird game. Hard to see it appealing to the masses.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The fact that the Mega Man Battle Network games existed and were successful frustrated a whole bunch of Classic and X fans in its heyday.
I understand it was a very weird change, but at the same time there were the Zero games that were dedicated to the more traditional Mega Man fans that owned a GBA, and for the X fans there were the 2 PS2 games, even if they, especially X7, weren't that great, so I don't see it as a reason to be angry, it's not like the Rayman fans or the Spyro fans that had their series replaced with Rabbids and Skylanders and there's not much to say then