• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Many here are making the argument that games quoted would be better at 60fps but that has not been the point of the OP at all. Yeah Bloodborne and Horizon and Forza Horizon would be/are better 60fps. They can still play very well at 30.

My pick - Bungie shooters since Halo 2/3 all play incredible at 30 (and yes, are all better at 60 in the MCC or on PC).

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And they'd all have been better at 60fps. Look at Bloodborne on PS4 vs Dark Souls 3 on PC, it's night and day, DS3 felt incredible, and Bloodborne felt choppy as all hell.

My point is that if it was ''night and day'' then we would see more 60fps based games in the top ten. It seems that they have a tiny impact regarding the assessed quality of a game. And zero impact out there, out of the forums for the average gamer, as the games that sell the most are again 30fps .

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Lol, especially a racing game at 30 FPS, that's your exmaple of feeling good? Nah...

This is everything wrong with debate on this forum. Doesn't engage, doesn't discuss the issue, just insulting sarcasm and dismissal. It's so unbelievably tiresome.

Not interested in facts. Not likely to have even played the game in question - maybe they have - but they don't engage in the topic at all. Don't discuss their experience with the game if they had played it.

Just drive-by snark. And thread after thread after thread is filled with this kind of nonsense. You'd think this place would have grown up a bit after leaving the old forum, but no, it's still all about the snark and gatekeeping.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
It really depends on the game or rather the way camera movement compared to player input is handled in each game.

A rule of thumb: Can you move the camera or any gameplay relevant object in the game fast enough to disconnect the notion of movement between 2 frames? If the answer is "yes" the visual's refresh rate is too low.

Games like Uncharted and Horizon work fine at 30Hz as long as the slow camera and control speed, coupled with the very narrow FOV restrict fast movement. As soon as snappy actions are required, or the camera speed is cranked too high, these games fall apart. Not because of bad combat mechanics but because of the visual feedback not able to keep up with the underlying mechanics.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Uncharted 4, FF7R, Horizon, God of War, Death Stranding

They feel incredible

Per object motion blur used masterfuly

Because it kinda is broken in the Remastered version lol

The 30 fps cap has a bug or something that makes it really choppy. It's kinda like in PC where you can cap the framerate using software, but sometimes frametimes goes all over the place.

I believe that DF mentioned it in a video. It's known.
30 fps cap works fine in TLOU Remastered. You are thinking of something else.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think 30 fps will never be good for games.

People can say they are used to 30 and they won't see the difference with 60 but man.. I just can't believe that.

The difference is night and day literally.

60 fps will never be good for games.

People can say they are used to 60 and they won't see the difference with 120 but man... I just can't believe that.

The difference is night and day literally.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My point is that if it was ''night and day'' then we would see more 60fps based games in the top ten. It seems that they have a tiny impact regarding the assessed quality of a game. And zero impact out there, out of the forums for the average gamer, as the games that sell the most are again 30fps .

I completely agree that the average gamer has low standards and an ignorance to what they're missing out on.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Death Stranding.

I tried to switch to Resolution Mode on God of War and feels really choppy for some reason, the combat is really hard on high difficult.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I completely agree that the average gamer has low standards and an ignorance to what they're missing out on.
I instead believe exactly the opossite. They are acting and think more healthy than we do.
They are enjoying both 60/30/unstable 60/30 and 4k/upscaled 4k, while in the same time we are loosing our time arguing in this thread and in "omg at 400x zoom I can see the pixel difference" threads.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty. But having a discussion on here about 30 fps being fine is futile.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I will always vote for 60fps over 30fps but I have to say Horizon Zero Dawn and Destiny 2 both felt really smooth and responsive to play so whatever magic they're using to get that responsiveness I really wish everyone else would take note.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
30 fps cap works fine in TLOU Remastered. You are thinking of something else.
IIRC the 30FPS mode in TLoU remastered felt bad and it did so because the motion blur shutter speed didn't adjust itself accordingly when running at 30FPS causing the blur to break in between motion and make the movements feel juddery.

Well most of the top 10 most played games for the past few years are actually targeting 60FPS or have a 60FPS mode. Out of the top 18 in US, only 5 games are targeting 30FPS with no option to go over that. And only 3 games in top 10 are 30FPS. Similar story in UK XBL.
9HDeumZ.png

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yep. I actually prefer the psuedo-cinematic 30fps. Only things that should be 60fps are character-action games, multiplayer shooters, fighting games, and the like.
Are you honestly trying to convince yourself TLoU Remaster feels better than the original? Sorry but I have a hard time believing any game feels better at 30 than a steady 60.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are you honestly trying to convince yourself TLoU Remaster feels better than the original? Sorry but I have a hard time believing any game feels better at 30 than a steady 60.

Haven't played it, so can't comment.

But I will note that the cutscenes being 60fps in the Yakuza Remastered Collection looked so awful to me that I have hooked up my PS3 again to play the originals.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Haven't played it, so can't comment.

But I will note that the cutscenes being 60fps in the Yakuza Remastered Collection looked so awful to me that I have hooked up my PS3 again to play the originals.
That is entirely different situation. It's called the soap opera effect where the image you are watching is smooth but looks odd because we are used to 24fps movies. Playing games is totally different because the higher the frame rate the less input lag. We mostly play games, not watch them.

Go watch Gemini Man. It looks awful. The movie is awful too but watching it is very weird.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
IMO none of them. 30 fps is tolerable when stable but otherwise it's just worse than 60.

Imp

Dec 18, 2017
Lincoln, UK
I literally cannot see the difference. Maybe my eyes are old and tired, I only ever notice bad framerate if it dips below 30.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I can see the difference on the videos people have posted when they're side by side, and if I'm focusing on it then I can tell if somethings 30 or 60. I'm sure I'd find it a severe issue if a fighting game or multiplayer FPS was 30 but outside of that I don't think I've played anything where I thought "this feels crap at 30, It REALLY needs to be 60"

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Why do we constantly have this discussion? It's always the same few people going "lol no game is even playable at 30fps are you stupid?"

Especially when it starts going into game available at 60fps feels better than one only available at 30fps. Like yeah, obviously, but it doesn't mean the 30fps feels bad, and it's not like the OP is saying the same game at 30fps feels better than playing the same game at 60fps.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
going from 60 to 30 isn't as jarring as say 100+ with VRR / GSYNC / FREESYNC then back to 60 and 30. 60 with variable refresh rate must be the golden standard this upcoming console generation.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Keys to a smooth feeling 30fps game:

1. Frame rate is rock solid.
2. No frame pacing issues.
3. Good motion blur.

Good examples: Spider-man, Horizon, Uncharted 4.
Bad examples: Fallout 4, The Division, Outer Worlds.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Especially when it starts going into game available at 60fps feels better than one only available at 30fps. Like yeah, obviously, but it doesn't mean the 30fps feels bad, and it's not like the OP is saying the same game at 30fps feels better than playing the same game at 60fps.

That's subjective. I think 30fps games feel bad.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah definitely wasn't "choppy". But it adds a ton of lag though. Switching between the framerate and resolution mode, there's a significant difference in latency.

I mean that's normal, of course 30fps has way more latency than 60fps. It's really the fact you switch back and forth instantly that makes it feel horrible.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
99% of the Sony first party games are native 1080p, have great IQ, great motion blur, great frame pacing, great controller input response and a solid 30fps framerate with very few (if any) dips.

If you don't target 60fps on console then this is how it should be done.

This! Uncharted 4 looks amazing and plays smoothly.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Sunshine
All 3D Zelda games since The Wind Waker (BotW is fine when there's no drops), can't recall if Skyward Sword was 30fps or 60fps though
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Keys to a smooth feeling 30fps game:

1. Frame rate is rock solid.
2. No frame pacing issues.
3. Good motion blur.

Good examples: Spider-man, Horizon, Uncharted 4.
Bad examples: Fallout 4, The Division, Outer Worlds.
?? Division has always had solid framerate, framepacing and iirc it has motion blur too (not sure about this one though)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah definitely wasn't "choppy". But it adds a ton of lag though. Switching between the framerate and resolution mode, there's a significant difference in latency.
of course
IIRC the 30FPS mode in TLoU remastered felt bad and it did so because the motion blur shutter speed didn't adjust itself accordingly when running at 30FPS causing the blur to break in between motion and make the movements feel juddery.

Yeah, wrong shutter speed.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm thinking of The Division 2 then? The one that went on sale for $2 a few months ago? No motion blur at all.
That one has solid framerate and frame pacing as well. But again no idea about motion blur.
Now that I think of it, most Ubi games don't have object motion blur outside of Watch Dogs...kind of surprising considering how high tech those games are otherwise, especially Division games.

Status
Not open for further replies.