• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to humour in games, I think there's two major camps: games that are written and designed to be funny, and games that have emergent funniness thanks to the interplay of systems resulting in stuff that humans watching it find absurd or ridiculous. Both are obviously your milage may vary prospects where it's very dependant on the person playing/watching, with the former often difficult in terms of comedic timing and the latter difficult in terms of making consistently emergent reactions and so on. Sometimes the laughter isn't even intentional.

On the writing side, my favourite game is probably Kid Icarus: Uprising, which is just jammed packed full of little skits and quips while still telling a pretty entertaining story. Pity about the thumb damage. This is definitely the 'just bombard the player with jokes' style of writing where even if one joke whiffs there's another one right behind it in a matter of seconds, and I love it.

Other great games of this ilk include a lot of Tim Schafer games (Monkey Island, Psychonauts), Undertale, and Ghost Trick.

On the emergent side I think Skate glitch videos are so fucking funny I've come pretty close to physically hurting myself from laughing too hard.

What games make you laugh, Era?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
The 3 out of 10 series. I made a thread about how i laughed and most of its humor its derived from gameplay as storytelling device.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
The Yakuza series. The substories are incredibly amusing, as much as the main story is serious.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Ben There, Dan That is excellent in that regard, and I'm assuming the followups are as well, although I've not got around to them.

Jazzpunk was very, very funny, while consistently utterly bizarre.

Edit: Oh, The Stanley Parable. And that reminded me of Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, And The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, which more people should play. It's free!

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Trails in the Sky arc thanks to him

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Paper Mario: Color Splash had the funniest writing of any game I've played. It is so good.

Paper Mario: The Origami King is, too.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Tales from the Borderlands was incredibly funny most of the time.

Definitely some of the Paper Mario games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing Armed and Dangerous while it's free on Gold this month, and it's cracking me up.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A lot of the LucasArts games. Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Hypnospace Outlaw and its characters really run with the archetypes that they're given. It's fun to see how certain things play out just because of how the community responds to them

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Conker's Bad Fur Day has gotta be one of the funniest games of all time. Just for the Matrix, Aliens and Saving Private Ryan parodies, so good.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
HITMAN 2016 and HITMAN 2 are incredibly hilarious thanks to the unscripted but context ware monologues. The games are jampacked with a shitton of NPC voice lines.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Trick is definitely high up there. It even has a great story too which makes it even better.

Brutal Legend is one of my favorites too. Such an amazing world they built around Rock/Metal.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Portal
Bulletstorm.
Occasionally Borderlands and Ace Attorney.

not the game, but the soundtrack to Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts with all of its parody tracks

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
I think The Stanley Parable is far-and-away the funniest game I've ever played. Great pacing throughout, great critical satire of the medium, and just good jokes all around.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The Yakuza series. The substories are incredibly amusing, as much as the main story is serious.
Tales from the borderlands. So damn funny.
HITMAN 2016 and HITMAN 2 are incredibly hilarious thanks to the unscripted but context ware monologues. The games are jampacked with a shitton of NPC voice lines.

Good choices. Tales from the borderlands was hillarious in its story, and Yakuza and Hitman are great in their gameplay and story.

Yakuzas balance of great serious story drama and stupid sub stories is great

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

This is what I was gonna say. A lot of the dialogue is just hilarious to listen to, especially the lines that demonstrate complete self-awareness of how contrived the game can be.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Stick it to the Man! and Flipping Death are both hilarious, and perfect for Halloween month! The dialogue and voice acting are peak-"dark Nickelodeon" perfection. And while the gameplay isn't amazing in either, they both switch up the "point-and-click" adventure formula fairly successfully. Flipping Death is the superior game overall, but both are more than worth your time.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
nuHitman is a slapstick comedy.

It reverses the most common set-up and has a single genius star in a world with idiots. The seriousness combined with obliviousness of the guards really signal the ridiculous nature of the Hitman world.

It is very generous with endless tools to make most plans work, and when things do fall apart there are a lot of improbable ways to get away.

There are so many things with great comedic timing, like the slowly arcing homing thrown items. Really good ragdolls and over the top death animations.

And it has a system implemented to set up big set piece overcomplicated murders.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the battle system in Paper Mario: Origami King, the writing is probably as good or better than it's ever been. Consistently funny throughout.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Recently, Kamala in Avengers got me laughing out loud a few times. The writing and voice actor for her play the excited superfan so well, and she is great in uncomfortable situations with still having optimism. So both funny and heartwarming.

Budget Cuts had some damn good gags. I really should play the sequel.

Trover Saves the Universe - If you like Rick and Morty humor, then you will find it in this game. If you don't like it, stay away.

FF14 - I can't get enough Hildibrand quest lines.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Tales From the Borderlands and the Portal games have pretty funny writing. Undertale is another good one.

The funniest game I've played is Ultimate Chicken Horse. The game is an absolute riot with friends.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Stanley Parable and the Portal games come to mind.

As for games that allow for emergent sillyness, there's a lot and I wouldn't even know where to start.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

When I saw this thread, I couldn't think of a game. But seeing this response, yes - it's Yakuza for me.

I loved the mission where you have to covertly sneak around passersby to get a nudie mag to this kid who enlists your help. The more of a disconnect between Kiryu's brooding tough guy persona and the unimportant side mission task you've been recruited into doing, the better / more hilarious.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, Uprising. The localization team killed it with the dialogue and voice actors.

Then there's Portal 2, which is the obvious answer.