• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example, Crusader of Centy had a different localization in US and UK. The UK version was generally more serious:

US:
kYNyQ3n.png

UK:
6cVanhq.png

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I didn't even know Crusader of Centy was its name until recently, in Europe it was published as Soleil.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Nntendo springs to mind think there were some differences in one of the the Fire Emblem 3DS games. The US localisation had a bunch of memes in it and the European one.... didn't

EDIT: Perhaps I was thinking of this from Triforce Heroes:

zelda-triforce-heroes-doge-such-ruin.jpg

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Splatoon 1

Advance Wars Days of Ruin

NOE in general did a lot of passes on the NOA English localization. Like Kirby's Epic Yarn where famously "feels like pants" turned into "feels like trousers" for UK English.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo does it a lot. I specifically remember people whining over Triforce Heroes
legendsoflocalization.com

Legends of Localization: How Triforce Heroes, Meme References, and Controversy Collided

A recently localized Zelda game features an outdated Internet meme. What did the original Japanese line say?
Nntendo springs to mind think there were some differences in one of the the Fire Emblem 3DS games. The US localisation had a bunch of memes in it and the European one.... didn't
Splatoon 1

NOE in general did a lot of passes on the NOA English localization. Like Kirby's Epic Yarn where famously "feels like pants" turned into "feels like trousers" for UK English.

I've heard they stopped doing separate localizations for European English, which is a shame

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon. I hate what I've seen of US Splatoon's writing, and it sucks that Splatoon 2 follows the US script in the UK.
DJ Octavio is awful with the US script.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Splatoon 1

The second DS Advance Wars feels like a really weird one. It's strange enough with a random name (like Soleil above), and understandable when it's localisation, but the difference between Days of Ruin and Dark Conflict is so similar that it just feels pointless. Maybe some European copyright clash with an old game or something, like with Starfox/Lylat Wars?

Ah, wiki says it was just that:
The European/Australian release, Dark Conflict, is identical to the North American release, Days of Ruin, in terms of the storyline, gameplay, and features. Several minor details distinguish each version, such as differences in the names of the factions, characters, chapter names and units, as well as significant dialogue changes. This is due to Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe receiving Japanese copies of the game to translate independently, resulting in unique versions for each region

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Perhaps I was thinking of this from Triforce Heroes:

zelda-triforce-heroes-doge-such-ruin.jpg
That US translation is so cringey, how did that get approved.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
An old and weird one: Prisoner of Ice.

For whatever reason the game has two English dubs, and here's why it's weird: a lot of the characters in the UK version have terrible American accents (by which I mean they're either not actually American, or are really bad actors) even though they're supposed to be British. The US version, on the other hand, has appropriate British accents and generally better acting.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 1

That last example is likely because "feels like pants" means wildly different things in the US vs in the UK.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An old and weird one: Prisoner of Ice.

For whatever reason the game has two English dubs, and here's why it's weird: a lot of the characters in the UK version have terrible American accents (by which I mean they're either not actually American, or are really bad actors) even though they're supposed to be British. The US version, on the other hand, has appropriate British accents and generally better acting.
Interesting. What are the chances that they just accidentally swapped the two dubs before release lol

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That last example is likely because "feels like pants" means wildly different things in the US vs in the UK.
If by likely you mean obviously then of course :P

There's really no mystery behind it. It's just one example that was widely covered since it's in the opening cutscene.

Probotector/Conta obvs.
While that is localization in a broad sense, it's not really "localization" in terms of script.
Just a clever way to circumvent the violence panic which made for superior games in Europe.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
It's always been a bit weird to me that Nintendo still released it as the 'Game Boy Color' here in the UK.

Props to Sonic Colours for doing it right.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Layton games had complete different localization for UK and US version. Sometimes not even a single word matches. They had separate voice acting too, UK's were genuine British VA and US's American VA pretending to be British.