• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wagons in Skyrim

Also the spinning secret wall shortcuts in Sekiro, like the one from the castle to the shrine. There is free fast travel in the game….

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Without mods in Fallout 4, settlements just seem kind of....there.

Fun to be creative with but doesn't really have any real benefits to reap from it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So many of the mechanics in RDR2. Like any sort of inventory management. It has this fairly robust inventory system for an action game, and the game basically automates so many choices you end up fighting against it. I love RDR2,.it's one of my favorite games ever, but I could also call it "RDR2: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Handholding."

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Crafting in Elden Ring is a decent example.
I think I only crafted arrows and greases, nothing else throughout whole game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Extracts in Judgment / Lost Judgment... they are really cool visually and would be fun to use but the material requirements for them is usually too high and they last 10-30 seconds at most... only really found them actually useful for Amon.

Crafting in Elden Ring. I guess it's not really useless because I'm sure you can do some cool shit with them but I never used it in my playthrough and never felt like I was missing something. Maybe it's different with other builds. I ran simple melee only.

RDR 2 kinda has multiple? But the game puts such an emphasis on immersion that I don't really view them as "useless". I always liked drinking coffee first thing after I woke up and cooking some food instead of just scarfing down cans of peach.

Yakuza 7, i dearly love this game and I enjoy the combat system but its the poster child for "RPG where 75% of the skills are useless". Loads of debuff skills are gimmicky and have a really low % of working, and there's a handful of highly effective skills that have such low MP costs that you have to go out your way to not just constantly spam them.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
Rations in Ghost Recon BreakPoint seem to struggle to be relevent without game breaking. Yeah you can pick up three ingredients and craft a ration that gives you 5% damage resistance for twenty minutes realtime? Wow OK

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
The issue with crafting in Elden Ring is you need to find cookbooks to get most of the good stuff, and a lot of the best stuff is locked into later in the game when you're already checked-out of disposable item usage. Crafting is actually very strong but the time investment to get the right cookbooks, then get all the crafting items, is not worth it when you can just use weapons. I do try to use fire pots on all of my playthroughs since like Erdtree Avatars and the giant plants and the hand spiders are weak to fire.

I'll submit - Dark Souls, the Resistance stat. It's useless to level it up.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Fallout New Vegas has the survival mode where you have to keep hydrated. But at any time you can fast travel back to an area with unlimited water.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I forget if it was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Revelations, but one had this deep bomb crafting mechanic that just seemed over complicated and I never bothered with. Just kept killing people with the tried and true method of having them chase me up a building and then throwing them to their death.

Also the spinning secret wall shortcuts in Sekiro, like the one from the castle to the shrine. There is free fast travel in the game….

Agreed, though I feel like at least one was placed between two important cutscene locations, so using it was marginally quicker occasionally?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
for real

just like 5 pts of faith and arcane in any build gives you access to the best ways to apply status effects (dragon head incantations) as well as flame cleanse me (and since you dont actually need the scaling for either of these, you can use any 0 weight seal)

all of the elemental damage craftable ammunition for ranged weapons feels dumb because 1) there are better versions that can be bought infinitely 2) split damage still sucks and they will barely do more damage even against enemies super vulnerable to x damage type 3) ranged weapons suck. some of the status effect arrows/bolts are okay but... eh.

I'm running a sorcery build as usual for me but with 25 faith so I can access some incantations (using the seal that scales with INT).

I end up cheesing a lot of enemies with poison arrows, esp big tanky enemies (like the hug dudes with mega healtth pools in sewers in Leyndell Capital, ugh)

That said, the poison / fire / etc arrows you can buy are better than the crafted kind...so....yeah. I just spend spare runes on those instead.

Plus using a weapon with INT scaling means all of the oils are useless.

Really not using almost 0 crafting as a result. Feels like a waste of time, a negative add, just like I feel it is in almost every game (DQ11 comes to mind, game would have been better designed without it IMO).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Wagons in Skyrim

Skyrim has quite a few mechanics that seem to just be for role play purposes. Like, cooking isn't particularly useful either, the ingredients are harder to come by, weigh more and do less than just making potions

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Far as I can tell, the Gummi Ship in Kingdom Hearts served virtually no purpose. It had all these mechanics and upgrade systems, but you really couldn't fail, you could get by pretty much ignoring it all, and this whole concept I guess was just something only there to try and spice up travel in between worlds, rather than just doing simple loads or a "warp" cutscene or whatever. But it really was just this added time sink for me as you transitioned between places.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
With the *important* caveat that I may simply be Not Very Good at the series: Arrows in Dynasty Warriors. At least for those I've played they appear to be far too fiddly to be beneficial.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Instant-death spells in most JRPGs (or other powerful ailment abilities like Petrify, Confuse, Silence, etc).

They sound great on paper, but in practice, they:
  • have a terrible success rate, especially if it's a hit-all spell (rather than single-target)
  • don't work on bosses, so their only use is to kill mobs which your party would have little trouble defeating by regular means
  • are costly to cast and/or take up high-level ability slots, if applicable
  • are available only very late in the story, and often for a huge amount of money
  • can be freely procced by equipment that does the same thing (e.g., weapon with chance to Petrify on hit)
[pick at least 3, though usually all of them apply]

Of course, when these spells are used on YOUR party, they'll almost always work...

This is a great answer. The only time these are useful is occasionally in Pokemon. In games like FF or SMT I never use them ever.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Saying crafting in Elden Ring is useless because you never used it is like saying magic in Elden Ring is useless because you ran a melee build. So silly. Crafting was not useless at all.

Also, talking about borderline useless mechanics in Souls games, upgrading armor in Dark Souls 1 might not be completely useless (it raises defense after all), but I never really found any use for it. In my experience, it was often just better to swap armors if you needed more protection instead of spending resources and souls on it. The fact that no other Dark Souls games included it, makes me think this was the case with many other players.

----

And crafting in Elden Ring is absolutely not useless. It's optional, but it's incredibly strong and not useless. If you make a build focused on crafting, you will be incredibly OP.
Upgrading armour in Dark Souls is also incredibly strong, a maxed out armour makes a big difference in damage reduction. My SL1 invaded with a maxed out Crimson set and I was taking very little damage from other players, to the point where I stopped (even though I used non-upgraded weapons to make it more fair) because it felt cheap.
I think they removed it because it's a bit tedious and discourages experimentation since materials are so limited, not because it was useless.

The Resistance stat, however, was not "borderline useless", it was 100% useless. :D

Oct 30, 2017
I know they aren't exactly useless, but weapon crafting/purchasing in the Yakuza series always feels extremely superfluous to me. The items break, take up precious inventory slots, and don't give me a particular advantage in most fights. I'd rather pick up a sofa or crowbar in the middle of a fight than keep on my person. I hate that you occasionally need to spend time on this stuff to get a trophy or two, 'cuz that's the only reason I bother.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
So put simply, in Alpha 2 where the Isms were introduced, X-ism gave you a more powerful, simpler character variant, while A-ism gave you more technical options.

Then in Alpha 3, they introduced V-ism, which gave you Custom Combos as alternative to classic Supers. When you activate custom combo mode, your character creates after-images that repeat your recent inputs couple of frames later, giving you previously impossible combo links.

Turns out, this system is absolutely fucking overpowered and now V-ism the only one worth using competitively in Alpha 3.

It lets you create combos that are guaranteed to reduce guard gauge to zero, combos that are unblockable due to simultaneous high/low attacks, or combos that create unintended juggle states that lead to infinites.

OH

I always preferred the "default" combos so never used this one, but makes sense. Thank you all for clarifying a 20-something year old doubt.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Hands in Sonic Adventure 2. Use it to shrink down and enemy and throw them like a bomb. Ain't no one using that ability.
I have 0 memory of this so i'm also going to vote for this

Oct 29, 2017
The ability to pick up and manipulate objects in the game world in Skyrim. If I recall correctly there is zero quest content in the game that requires you to do this.

Depends on your definition of useless though. For some people the ability to stack cheese wheels or put a bucket on someone's head is a big part of the fun.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Weapon durability? I always consider it the most pointless mechanic in Souls.
Mayyybe in 2 because of the 60fps bug, perhaps .
But it took me a really long time to notice that they completely remove it for Elden ring lol

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Magic Hands in Sonic Adventure 2. Use it to shrink down and enemy and throw them like a bomb. Ain't no one using that ability.
I have played SA2 a billion times, I recognize the item that gives you the power up, and I remember collecting it.

I have absolutely no memory of this ability whatsoever.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Fishing in Nier Automata. Literally never touched it in my playthough and in looking up for what its intended for (a money making method) I questioned whether there was every really a point in the game where money was actually an issue in the first place.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most offensive status altering spells in JRPGs.

They are usually pointless for mobs because they die too quick anyway and they are pointless for bosses because they are usually immune.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Status effect magic/abilities in waaaay too many RPGs.

Too often status magic has minimal effects on smaller enemies because they'll die soon from attacks, and you'd be better off just damaging them with your time/turns.

Meanwhile, bosses will be immune to most if not all status magic. That or it'll have a high chance of just not working on them, meaning you'll probably be better off ignoring the mechanic.

It's for annoying you, not the AI, in these games.

Some games will have a the occasional boss that is weak to one type of status magic, in which case it's the silver bullet to beating them, and closer to "beating them the right way" than it is the player trying out a strategy they want to use.

And then fewer games will have it be a legit strategy the whole way.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Mario's sweep kick from Mario 64. It doesn't do anything that punch doesn't already do, plus you have to completely stop moving and crouch to use it.

In a Street Fighter 5 patch, they gave Zangief a counter move that only works for mid-high kicks (IIRC). This means for Boxer/Balrog, the move is 100% useless as he only has punches.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
X Items in Pokémon. Unless I severy limit myself and make the game really hard I never needed them.

X Items are actually pretty broken. Perfect for Speedruns and the like.

You can just stuff a single Pokemon full of them and clean house.

And of course, they got BUFFED in later Gens to where they give a 2 Stage Boost instead of just 1.

The insta death kind of spells are actually really good in FF2 as well.

Yup. Lots of enemies including Bosses are usually weak to a number of that game's Insta-kill spells so long as you Level them up enough.

Hell, you can even insta-kill FF2's Final Boss (on Famicom thanks to a bug with Reflect/Wall).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
AP and hollow point in new vegas are a nice concept, but even on the hardest difficulties, you really dont need them. or any of the special bullets honestly
at least its a good framework for the true hardest difficulty mods you can install and then absolutely need it

Burning bodies in The Evil Within

this is so wrong i can't even

get another notification as punishment

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
X Items in Pokémon. Unless I severy limit myself and make the game really hard I never needed them.
I actually ended up using them sometimes in my playthrough of Shining Pearl. This is coming from Pokemon Masters where boosting stats with those items is a big part of the battles.

Which speaking of, there's a game where stat debuffs actually help and are necessary. Some have special skills like Overpower or Pecking Order, which do more damage the lower the opponent's attack is, Outsmart for Special Attack, and Cakewalk or Hunter Instinct for Speed, I think. The higher TTK makes that possible.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sometimes you play a game that offers you a mechanic that just leaves you scratching your head as to why it's even in the game. The mechanic does not need to be bad or broken; it's just that it feels severely underused or unimportant in the game, for whatever reason.

I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles 1. The game has a jump mechanic... and I don't know why lol. The player character jumps at a very low height, and the animation is pretty slow and janky. You can jump over certain objects, but it's super inconsistent, and it doesn't feel like the game expects you to do it. I'm still very early in the game so who knows what might awaits me, but I'd be very surprised if the game suddenly expected me to use the jump mechanic in a serious way. Unless it gets upgraded somehow, I guess. But as it currently is, that mechanic feels really useless.
You'll be happy you have a jump later in the game. Believe me.

Every RPG with buff / debuff abilities and items and or status effects. I ain't using that!

Also, crafting in Elden Ring. And almost every other game.
I know a lot of people that don't use debuff abilities in RPGs, but there are definitely some RPGs where debuffs are the cornerstone of the combat (like FFXII for instance).

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
The battles in Paper Mario Sticker Star. Use stickers and coins to collect coins to buy the stickers you used. You can literally run from every fight and finish the game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Instant-death spells in most JRPGs (or other powerful ailment abilities like Petrify, Confuse, Silence, etc).

They sound great on paper, but in practice, they:
  • have a terrible success rate, especially if it's a hit-all spell (rather than single-target)
  • don't work on bosses, so their only use is to kill mobs which your party would have little trouble defeating by regular means
  • are costly to cast and/or take up high-level ability slots, if applicable
  • are available only very late in the story, and often for a huge amount of money
  • can be freely procced by equipment that does the same thing (e.g., weapon with chance to Petrify on hit)
[pick at least 3, though usually all of them apply]

Of course, when these spells are used on YOUR party, they'll almost always work...
It was fucking great in FF13 tho. With the right party combo you could take down Adamantoise waaaay before you were supposed to be able to and you could get those sweet, sweet, tetrahedron thingies.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The move Splash in Pokémon. It quite literally does nothing. Fun for memes and goofs though I guess.

Fun fact though: if you use Z-Splash in Gen 7, it will boost your Pokémon's attack by three stages. Not sure if it was ever competitively viable though.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna say stomping in the Dead Space series, but I guess it's a decent move to use occasionally to make any nearby dead bodies unusable and to prevent any surprise attacks

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
it's probably rigged to specific quests and not a game wide mechanic. But in Skyrim during certain quests you have the ability to dress up as someone from a different faction and the enemy faction won't notice you. A popular example is when you have to infiltrait the Thalmar Embassy. If you are a high elf and wear Thalmar armor nobody will attack you. There's another civil war quest where you can dress up and nobody will think otherwise buts it's more of a minor one.

It's an odd one for me as it's a really cool addition but it's never really explained that this is an option in the game and it's used so sparingly I question why time was spent doing it at all.