• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I love nothing more than games that start you off with an over level (stronger than you ) enemy near by or around your vicinity.

Most people often get beaten but realize that they are able to skip them and take off.

However I like to actually beat these challenging foes and it helps me really learn the mechanics of the game early on and you are often rewarded with a very high level armor/weapon early on.

My examples:

Shinning force exa ps2
There's a huge pig that lives in your same village. Super fun game btw I wish we had a remake. Or remaster.

Dark souls 2:
Rhino hippo monster.

He's completely skip able but I managed to beat him for some nice souls.

Re4 , chain saw guy...
Most peeps probably survive by running around. I actually managed to blow him up thanks to the grenades that I had.

He also drops lots of gold.

And as an extra tip you can spawn two if you spawn him via cut scene and than try to escape via the northern route.

Let ne know if you guys can share any.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X has enemies of all levels around in pretty much every area. Makes things really tense and why people joke that the game doubles as a "stealth" game half the time.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every Souls game does this. There's the red eye knight in Demon's, the Skeletons in Dark, the ogre that you mentioned in Dark 2, the hooded axe guy in Bloodborne, and the huge crystal lizard in Dark 3. Hopefully Sekiro keeps the trend going.

Nov 1, 2017
This is a staple of all Xenoblade games. There's always a 10 ton gorilla with fancy name appear from nowhere and start playing electric guitar.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Souls mentions, but I don't see anyone mentioning the first Black Knight you encounter in the Undead Burg.

Totally beatable, but way tougher than anything else (including most of the bosses around there).

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he's in the earliest level, but the Black Knight in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is a nigh unbeatable foe that will chase you towards the end of some levels.

You're rewarded with an alternate game over if you're foolish enough to face him with the story critical main character.

They actually try to justify why Ike would attack him at that stage (i.e., blind rage), which is a really cool touch.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Re4 , chain saw guy...
Most peeps probably survive by running around. I actually managed to blow him up thanks to the grenades that I had.
Wait, you aren't supposed to kill him ?
Now that you mention it, I guess you can just run until the bell of the village ring... But it's too scary to run from him, I always kill him asap since he can one shot you.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Final Fantasy XII when you first go outside, it's non aggressive thankfully.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary has 'The Unspeakable Deep'.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's at the end of the tutorial and that's the only place you get to fight it; no appearances later and no retries on NG+. You're meant to die, but there is a trophy for whacking it (The Unspeakable Deep, I mean, not your dingdong).

Last edited:

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

Fel Reavers roaming the starting zone(forget the name) was so awesome back in the day! I remember just being so intimidated by them and thinking it was so cool that a huge ass mob that was roaming around. There was never anything like it in the game yet, not counting instances and world bosses.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII: The Magical Lamp/Diablos.

Technically you can defeat it when you get the lamp if you've been cheesing draw points and enemies to get OP but you're really meant to wait a bit.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much the Xenoblade series. There's a giant high level monster in the starting area that will wreck you if you're not careful.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you aren't supposed to kill him ?
Now that you mention it, I guess you can just run until the bell of the village ring... But it's too scary to run from him, I always kill him asap since he can one shot you.

I don't think you're really supposed to the first time, but if you play the scenario even once and know where to grab the gear, it's actually fairly easy to do it. It's part of what makes that section so cool, it's designed to scare you into not really thinking clearly, but if you grab the shotgun and run around to loot a little bit, you can take him out before the bell rings.

Nov 17, 2017
6xZ6xtJ.png

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Xenoblade X has regular enemies as high as level 60 in the first area and boss enemies has high has level 90. Also the level cap for your character is 60 so many never technically stop being overleveled.

I love it. Planet Mira is a hostile wilderness and it really feels like everything is trying to kill you.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
F.O.Es from Etrian Odyssey.

They aren't floating orange balls anymore and have actual pre battle models, but they get called "Freakishly Over-powered Enemies" by fans for a good reason.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
First thought was Gus from Paper Mario 2.

PMTTYD_battle.PNG

You can challenge him as early as the Prologue but you're not meant to really face him until a few Chapters later. If you master Superguard though you can take him down as soon as you meet him.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Destiny 1. On the first level (the Cosmodrome). U can run into enemies that are Lvl. 20. WHich ur character wont be lvl 20 until the end of the game.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If you walk in the right direction, you can find overleveled Frost Trolls pretty quickly after escaping Helgen in Skyrim.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
The Asylum Demon from Dark Souls counts because the first time you see him you only have a broken sword and it's not clear that there's just a door out of the room.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I recently learned that this tradition goes all the way back to (maybe) the first CRPG ever made, The Dungeon. Enemies in The Dungeon range from level 1 to 6, and every random encounter can contain enemies of any level.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Good old Welcome Bears in the Western Plaguelands, directly adjecent to the Undead starting zone. It isn't so bad now (though I haven't played in years) but before Cataclysm these guys used be around level 50, I think? One step through the somewhat fortified but otherwise completely open border and you would get mauled by one of these guys.

Dark Souls 3 had the katana hobo outside Firelink. He is totally beatable, even without cheesing him off the ledge, but most people get murdered by this guy. I know I did, and still do if I screw up a parry.

I guess this is cheating a bit, but in Chrono Trigger, in New Game+, your first battle can be with the final boss.

FFXII has those Werewolves at the southern edge of the Giza Plains, otherwise a beginner area. Unlike the dinosaur mentioned above, these guys are aggressive and they will one-shot you.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The crystal lizard in the starting area of Dark Souls 3. Not that difficult but definitely overleveled compared to the first few goons.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
IIRC, a level 30 something Coeurl is always set to spawn as you're exiting Final Fantasy XV's first dungeon. Oh, and the Bandersnatch near Hammerhead, I guess.

Dissidia 012 plays with this in it's tutorial: At one point, the Tutorial Moogle asks if you think you're too good for his assistance. If you say yes, he assumes you're already godlike at the game and immediately sends you straight to Feral Chaos, the game's final boss. When you inevitably lose, the moogle pops up again, tells you to stay in your lane and the game starts up proper.

Oct 25, 2017
In Breath of Fire 2 you wander into the semifinal boss Barubary in a cave and get owned. I dunno why it sticks with me so much.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Dissidia 012 asked you at the end of the tutorial "are you a Dissidia pro?"

If you answered "yes" Mog would say "oh yeah? then you can handle this just fine" and put you in a fight against a super version of the final boss who would obliterate you in seconds.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you, OP. I also always try to kill them. And if they are too strong, I'll stick around and grind levels/practice until I can do it.

One thing that really bothers me about Xenoblade, actually, is that strong enemies are basically impossible if even they are just a few levels above you, and then they become totally easy once your levels balance. It's stupid.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
First thought was Gus from Paper Mario 2.

PMTTYD_battle.PNG

You can challenge him as early as the Prologue but you're not meant to really face him until a few Chapters later. If you master Superguard though you can take him down as soon as you meet him.
yea, pretty satisfying to win.

also, secret of Mana 2

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The problem I have with Xenoblade 2 doing this is that once they lock on to you you're dead due to the auto attack.

Oh that, and putting the main quest smack in the middle of roaming mobs 30 lvls higher.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Piranha Bytes games do something pretty similar to Xenoblade. If you don't watch your step you run into some creature or another that will one shot you. In Elex there's a huge ogre wandering right outside the first little ruin you explore.

Sheepshakey

Aug 4, 2018
FF9 Grand Dragon above Gizamaluke's Grotto. I remeber a moogle telling me to not go outside since it's dangerous.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Probably doesn't count but I stumbled upon the Lanayru Road lynel very early in Breath of the Wild, just after arriving at Kakariko Village (which I consider the true 'home base' of the adventure).

I had no idea what was happening, and I thought I was doing something stupid in being unable to confront it. Still one of the most memorably horrifying moments in that 300 hour experience.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it fits OP but some of Monster Hunter games do this with flagship monsters appearing in low ranking quest (typically gathering quest).

Tigrex in MHF2/FU, Lagiacrus in MHTri, Zinogre in MHP3rd, and Fated Four in MHGen.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not quite the same, but there's Challenge areas in Bayonetta which you can access super early. They require you fighting some extremely rough waves of enemies under very specific conditions. A lot of them seemed physically impossible to do early on.

But they weren't. And I kept smashing my head against them for almost hours on end in every chapter until I somehow got through. Felt fuckin amazing each time, and the main story kinda became super fuckin easy after that lol. Pure Platinums left and right.

It was pretty crazy how massively it improved me as a player without me even knowing it. Love stuff like that