• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
Anthem

the premise looked so good, and if anything, it's Blizzard, they never failed me to make amazing trailer

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nothing to me will ever top the hype of MGSV's E3 Red Band trailer only for the actual game to be disappointing.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V is an amazing game, but the trailers sold me a completely different amazing game
Yeah the trailer basically had all the cutscenes from the game.

Another big title that completely fell on it's face is Cyberpunk 2077. Even ignoring the bugs, the game was no where near as close to what they claimed initially. Another big title is No Man Sky. Basically the lead lied to everyone about what the game is.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Initially, people felt pretty positive when Paper Mario 3DS got its 2011 trailer. "Finally, a return to the RPG roots!" Of course, it turned out to be anything but.

www.youtube.com

Nintendo 3DS - Paper Mario E3 Trailer

http://www.nintendo.com/3dsLike us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NintendoFollow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NintendoAmericaContact Us: http://ww...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer that revealed FFXV and had basically zero material that made the final game ;(

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dead Island was honestly a solid game: it did not live up to the vision of the trailers but it was fun to play

We Happy Few is terrible to play but the trailer made it seems like a crazy Bioshock adventure. I still want to play the game that the trailer promised

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
Probably already been posted
multiple times throughout this topic and if it hasn't
shambles

https://youtu.be/ASzOzrB-a9E

Fuck you DICE for killing a franchise I loved.

How they start off with a trailer that shows a spot on a map that no one goes to…Who the hell parachutes from there!? There's no objective! (I only play conquest so if there's objectives in that area in the other game mode(s?) *le shrug*

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019

This is legitimately one of the best gaming trailers of all time and if it had been attached to a game that was in any way competently designed I feel like it would be considered right up there with "Mad World" or the Believe trailers. It is melancholy, spooky, action packed and shows all the things you would want from the game.
Unfortunately, the game is aliens: colonial marines.

I know what a shitshow the game turned out to be and I STILL want to play it after watching the trailer.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Dead Island taught me never to buy a game based off of a cinematic trailer. Watch Dogs taught me that even a gameplay trailer can be misleading.

Basically, never buy a game based only off a trailer, is the main takeaway.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This trailer is like Cyberpunk/BF2042 level of bullshit, nothing in gameplay that show in the trailer is in the game, nothing.
Because it's not gameplay. They showed off the small bits of unpolished gameplay they had after six years of production on the original and also target render footage of FFXV. But the trailer came out early enough in the PS4/XB1's life cycle that people honestly thought some of that was realtime footage

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
TimeShift had some neat trailers, including a live-action one, that really sold me on the time control aspect, as well as the alternate reality dystopia vibe it had going for it.

Strangely, the live-action trailer had almost nothing to do with the game, other than showing how OP'd the protagonist was. Regardless, I was nearly as excited for it as some of the other big shooters of 2007, such as Crysis, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and BioShock. Imagine my disappointment when I first played it and realized you couldn't pull off even a third of the stuff that's shown in the trailers. It was almost pointless to even give players a suit that could manipulate time when it offered such little utility in combat. Crysis did a much better job of adapting the choreography shown in its trailers to the actual gameplay.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well it's harder to think of a flop that didn't have a decent to great trailer. for me anyway

anyway my vote for biggest discrepancy is Anthem. i knew it was coming but i really didn't think it'd be that bad

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
For me it would be The Blair Witch game that came out in the last few years. I think it was debuted at the 2019 Xbox E3 show. I thought it was going to be fun and spooky but to me the game was low quality

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny. I love what Destiny became and I still love playing current Destiny, but Destiny on launch hurt.

Yeah, OG Destiny is what caused me to not let myself get overhyped for almost anything anymore. I bought the special white PS4, the matching headset, and the collector's edition of the game and proceeded to beat the story in one sitting. I remember playing the beta and telling myself "There's definitely going to be more to this in the full game" and there wasn't. But yeah, it got much better after I'd been hurt lol.

Feb 16, 2022
I even remember that Destiny 2 trailer where Cayde rallies the troops to go after "Gary" which had a humor that wasn't really in THAT game for most of its campaign either.
This is some revisionist history stuff, the whole base game WAS full of that humor, which is partly why players grew bored of it. The game having that awful "humor" is what almost killed it until they killed Cayde off a year later.

At launch yeah but now it's very good.
It's at best running decently most of the time, but it's not good, let alone "very". It's still pretty barebones as a game, and a far, far cry from its reveal trailers. It will never be the game they showed off.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077. People freaked out so much over the trailers and gameplay videos up to the launch, but I never saw whatever others did to be so excited for the game up to its disastrous launch. Luckily, I was cool with skipping the game and avoided that whole mess.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
This is some revisionist history stuff, the whole base game WAS full of that humor, which is partly why players grew bored of it. The game having that awful "humor" is what almost killed it until they killed Cayde off a year later.

I mean we're both right, I didn't laugh once during Destiny 2 which is where my revisionist history is coming from.

Oct 26, 2017
The initial target demo of breath of the wild, not saying breath of the wild is bad, but is not what Nintendo sold me with that target video.
Heh, you made me dig out my E3 2014 archive of the game which had these as BMP shots (auto-converted to PNG during upload):

wiiu_zelda_scrn01_e3y2kl7.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn02_e3q1ksp.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn03_e31lku1.png

wiiu_zelda_scrn04_e3ifjxz.png

BMP originals in their zip file if you want them:

www.mediafire.com

WiiU_TheLegendofZelda

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Bioshock Infinite was going to be my pick, but has already been mentioned. Man, what a cool first gameplay demo...

Was such a letdown when I finally played the game. After it ended I just felt disappointed. Luckily the Burial at Sea DLC was super cool.

It's not though. BotW turned into something different than what the initial trailer made me think.

Still frustrates me that I don't enjoy it anywhere as much as so many other people do. I love Zelda games, too :(

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
ubisoft have possibly the best marketing team in the planet.
they also have lots of mediocre and bad games

I, as someone who bought Black Flag 3 times, have to give an honorable mention to the first assassin's creed.

Also, honorable mention to Playstation All Star Battle Royale.

the "lets just release the intro" was awesome

www.youtube.com

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Attract Trailer

Battle with your friends as your favorite PlayStation characters and go head to head to prove who's really the best!http://www.psallstars.com©2012 Sony Compu...

Specially the Michael Playstation Ad that was kinda an ad for PsAsBR but wasn't but had a trailer that was.

www.youtube.com

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 'Live Action Trailer' [1080p] TRUE-HD QUALITY

►► Remember to select 720p or 1080p HD◄◄Sony released this awesome live action trailer for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.Platforms: Playstation 3 & PS ...

Green

Oct 27, 2017
If Alpha Lupi ARG and Music of the Spheres counts (for Destiny 1), then I'd pick that. There weren't really any trailers at this point. Just music snippets, deep-Bungie lore dumps, concept art, and minimal vidoc hints.

Not that I hated Destiny (I had like 2K+ hours across the franchise), but the tone and concept I gathered from those things were never realized in the game we ended up getting. Not even close. (Here's hoping Starfield scratches that itch because it's the only marketing lead up that's met Bungie's for D1 that I've seen since that matches the tone and scope that I dreamt of and I hope they stick that landing)

Probably Elder Scrolls Online and Star Wars The Old Republic come close. Don't hate MMOs. Don't like those ones, though. :-/

Last edited:

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it - that Dead Island trailer is cracking good. Ive never seen even a second of the gameplay... Im guessing its nothing like that?

The tone of the released game is very different from the ad, which portrays something more…somber and tragic I suppose.

Dead Island the game is a coop-focused FPS with RPG mechanics, the storytelling is very simple, while there are some notes and environmental storytelling, it is ultimately surface-level in depth. Oh, and it has a loooooot of jank.

Edit: For my own pick - I would go with Destiny. It was more than just any trailer in fairness, the hype leading up to launch made me expect something much greater in scope to the released game.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
It's not though. BotW turned into something different than what the initial trailer made me think.

Still frustrates me that I don't enjoy it anywhere as much as so many other people do. I love Zelda games, too :(
Aside from the game being not quite as pretty, everything in that trailer is basically in the game.

-the art style
-open grassy fields
-being chased by gaurdians
-the bow
-horse travel
-jumpijg from the horse while firing the bow.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting, but the trailer is pretty reflective of the final game.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Surprised it took as long as it did to mention this. This is THE most misleading trailer I've ever seen in my life.

To be fair, that was a case of executive meddling. IIRC guerilla created that as a kind of proof of concept for what they thought they could do with the hardware they were promised. It was just intended for internal use. It was meant for a pitch meeting. Then some higher up decided to make it public and then Jack tretton said it was in-game.