• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not Japanese, EarthBound.

If you are Japanese, Mother 3.

All three Mother games end on cliffhangers and only one got resolved in the West between Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F****** Golden Sun. I just want to see Alex get the ultimate power he's been looking for and the adventure that culminates in our heroes defeating him once and for all. Is that too much to ask for?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people confuse sequel teasing / open endings with cliffhangers.

Like, there's no cliffhanger ending in Wolf Among Us or Bulletstorm as examples from the first page. There's a million noir stories where the hero gets thrown on his ass with questions right near the end, and very few of them have sequels or direct follow ups.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
I... Don't remember a cliffhanger ending in Earthbound? What am I forgetting?
The letter Ness gets from Porky at the end saying 'Come get me' and it fades to black with a 'To Be Continued...?' on screen.

And in Earthbound Beginnings, Ninten's dad rings him saying that something else has come up.

Though neither cliffhangers are followed up on in Earthbound and Mother 3 respectively, they're still saying 'the story isn't over'.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this.

Darksiders 1.
Been almost a decade now. The first game did ok and they somehow got a chance to make a big budget 2nd game. They decided to make it a prequel. Vigil Games and THQ ends up closing down with the series seemingly dead and no one willing to buy the IP. THQ Nordic buys THQ property and Darksiders IP finally. Then a while later it's announced Darksiders 3 is getting made afterall.....we're finally gonna get that sequel that we wanted for so long but couldn't due to several reasons and it's the best time to make a true sequel.

What do we get? Another prequel...I enjoyed Darksiders 3 a lot but the game also got middling reviews jeopardising the future and hat conclusion.

Luckily the game did well enough that we will get Darksiders 4 and it'll have been more than a decade since first once when it comes out. But if they decide to skirt around it and make it another prequel about Strife instead of a sequel to Darksiders 1 then it's likely that they will jeopardise the conclusion once again !

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let us Cling Together certainly does with the main villain getting away and the story setting up a big conflict to come.
Also, Mari in OB64 is implied to be Rashidi'a daughter, and thanks to the witch Zeda, gives birth to the reincarnation of Rashidi, now with the body of a demon.

The whole saga as released so far sets up a continent-engulfing invasion by the demons (a new Ogre Battle) in the near future.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
The ones that nag at me the most:

- Half Life 2: Episode 2
- Alan Wake
- Beyond Good & Evil

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Condemned 2 ended with a cool cliffhanger. I understood a lot of people didn't like the tonal shift of the game coming from the first, but as I never played the first I did not give a fuck, I just wanted more.

Make the bear reanimated and be the true villain. Thanks WB, I'll take that check now.
Yeah came here to post about this one. I want more.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Viewtiful Joe, KINDA, one could argue that the DS game was the third part and the Castle at the end of VJ2 was Junko's but it's not exactly explained as such, furthermore the start of VJ:Double Trouble doesn't take off from the ending of VJ2.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life series is the only one that matters to me, and I've long given up.

One of the best selling series of all time; one of the most popular games of all time; one of the most anticipated games ever; one of the highest reviewed games ever ...

And the series just ends on a massive cliffhanger and it's been ~15 years and Valve will never resolve it. They just decided they didn't want to make videogames anymore.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I loved these games and don't often hear people talking about them.
  • The game is 20 years old
  • It's PC only
  • It's a space-sim, the genre is pretty much dead or better said super-niche nowadays
We will probably never get a sequel. At best some kickstarter "spiritual successor" but these never capture the magic of the old classics. But it had it's time. I loved it to death. It's one of my favorite games of all time. I still remember that feeling diving into flak barrage with my bomber, playing with a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro Controller. What a time to be alive. Truly the golden age of PC gaming.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Prince of Persia '08 is my Half-Life 2
and even with the DLC I consider the end-game state of the world to be one fucking hell of a cliffhanger

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

Wraps up the Raziel storyline going on for 3 games and shows Kain the way and then....nothing. What an ending and way to leave us hanging

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/dc/a/pj.htm (spoiler warning - is that necessary for an 18 yo game though?)

Hideaki Itsuno even said in an interview he's got the ideas/outline for a Rival Schools 3 to complete the story, but neither he nor Capcom seem to really want to go forward with it.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake is the one that hurts me most. That DLC made it so much worse.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Zero Time Dilemma

It was not a cliffhanger like Virtue's Last Reward, but damn why they tease me like that.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
  • The game is 20 years old
  • It's PC only
  • It's a space-sim, the genre is pretty much dead or better said super-niche nowadays
We will probably never get a sequel. At best some kickstarter "spiritual successor" but these never capture the magic of the old classics. But it had it's time. I loved it to death. It's one of my favorite games of all time. I still remember that feeling diving into flak barrage with my bomber, playing with a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro Controller. What a time to be alive. Truly the golden age of PC gaming.
I'm right there with you...down to the Sidewinder Pro. That last set piece with the supernova blew my mind.

I was also a big fan of Heavy Gear.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's not exactly a cliffhanger - more a tease, but:

tTLaZsW.png

HCopA8V.png

(I can't find a screenshot of Underwurlde, but here's a cut of a magazine map that mentioned it):
IhPTNve.png

Several of Ultimate's games teased the final part of the Sabreman series, Mire Mare. Underwurlde mentioned all three games depending on which exit you took, and both Knight Lore and Pentagram teased the game as the conclusion, and in the end, it never came out.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
-Kya: Dark Lineage
Especially since the gameplay was actually a lot of fun and the world was fairly interesting. also some people (like me!) had weirdly bugged versions where the cliffhanger ending and literally nothing ending were reversed. Amusingly, my then-girlfriend-now-wife's copy is not bugged.

-The MML series stings like very little else.
-BGE2 is not the sequel we want but it's clearly the one we (or you, the general gaming public) deserve for wanting everything to be AAA open world garbage
-VP feels like it'll never get the Hrist game. It's less of a cliffhanger and more "we have one more Valkyrie to have star in her own game", yet we got Covenant of the Plume which was just okay and also not starring Hrist

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. The objective the MCs went on the entire adventure for (to stop Psynergy Vortexes from appearing) isn't even solved at the end. The game literally ends with them looking at a Psynergy Vortex and then them going "omg right, we were supposed to deal with that" and then "The End?".