• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't really get the 2018 GoW comments. None of the boss fights were particularly mind-blowing, that's one of the few disappointments I had with the game tbh. I wouldn't consider any of them "a wad". Imo, the wad was exploring, uncovering the world, and bonding with Atreus. Nothing that would've been blown in the first level.

GoW3 though, 100% agree with that. The titan/Poseidon fight is certainly memorable.
Yeah the fact that they re-use the boring troll fight like 8 times and the death animations are exactly the same was mindblowing. Good game but not without its flaws

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The second I left the beach area of Dead Island, I was infinitely less interested. There was something so pleasant about that section of the game even with zombies roaming around.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The original Dragon Age was best when you were still in the intro content for your chosen race. The rest was very good, but I don't think it measured up.

Similar for Star Wars: The Old republic. Everything after your class stories was lacking, because it stripped out all of the personalization such that the plot didn't really make sense for certain classes. I'd also go so far as to say the class stories themselves also got worse as they went along, at least until the very end.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird one, but Solider of Fortune comes to mind. It was supposed to be the most violent game of all time, back then, and I played the first level from the demo over and over because I was blown away by the detail. When the full game came out, never touched the rest.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The original Dragon Age was best when you were still in the intro content for your chosen race. The rest was very good, but I don't think it measured up.

Similar for Star Wars: The Old republic. Everything after your class stories was lacking, because it stripped out all of the personalization such that the plot didn't really make sense for certain classes. I'd also go so far as to say the class stories themselves also got worse as they went along, at least until the very end.
Strong disagree, the Landsmeet section blows the rest out of the water in Origins.

Agreed with TOR though.

Nov 17, 2017
I like those levels, but City Escape is probably the most fun and replayable and the one everybody remembers the most. Metal Harbor and Radical Highway are close seconds tho.
I think City Escape is the most iconic stage of the game for good reason which is why everyone remembers it. I don't think it's the best stage in the game though. I think it could be argued the best stage in the game but those other stages I mentioned stand up to it in my opinion.

Sonic Adventure 2 hero story opens with city escape, which has a fun upbeat song, fairly competent level design and an interesting climax to the stage.

And then there is the rest of the game
You could use that description of City Escape to describe Metal Harbor.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll add another vote for GoW 3. It squanders so much potential after that opening scene. It blew my mind back in the day but it's easily my least favorite GoW of the mainline titles. Still occasionally get the urge to play that intro though.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The container ship opening in Modern Warfare 2 hit so many highs that no other level in the game even came close. That excitement did manage to carry me through the entire campaign though.

Do you mean Crew Expendable in CoD4?

latest

MW2's opening levels (beyond the tutorial) are Team Player and Cliffhanger, the former of which is pretty bog standard and serves mostly as an extended tutorial, but the latter of which is one of the early highlights of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
the action packed intro of the original darksiders really got me pumped...

...and then the rest never lived up to that intensity. that was the peak moment of the game for me. if that wasn't bad enough, then the fetch quest at the end was real bad.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still get stressed out about thinking about getting to the top of that rocket. God, A-ranking that stage was fuckin' miserable.
Gah, I've been replaying the game on Dolphin and I am convinced that is fucking impossible. Sonic isn't good at making the 90 degree turns to get through that section smoothly.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this way about Dark Cloud. It's not that the first area is the best, it's just each part of the game afterwards doesn't evolve enough.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I think Dying Light is a game where the RPG progression only serves to simplify the mechanics, and that the slums area is much better than the affluent section of the city. Also a lot of the later special zombies just suck to fight.

For me, nothing beat the frantic feeling of when I was grabbing scrap wood to defend myself and kicking downed zombies to death. Crowds of zombies were to be avoided, not cut through. Getting neon battle-axes and shotguns out of every trunk later on is tiresome. A couple of the move upgrades are nice (drop kick is a big one), but things like zombie camouflage and instant kill neck snaps/curb stomps just made the game feel less exciting. The retractable grappling hook is fun for a while, but ultimately dumbs down the thinking you have to do to scale obstacles.

I hope Dying Light 2 is better in all that regard.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Killzone Shadow Fall.
Are you referring to the Forest level? That was one of my least favorite levels, it was slightly open but I did the bases in the "wrong" order and it reset the enemies. Terrible.

Thought the best stretch was 3-5 (The derelict spaceship mission, the city center one and then the beginning of the infiltration of the Helghan area).

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I imagine this is usually because the opening/first level is designed last after the devs have gotten real good with designing the game. I guess this doesn't happen with every game, though.

I think Brutal Legend would be one of my picks, was hoping the rest of the game would be more like that.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Going to go with Mafia III. The lengthy intro/early part of the game is amazing with good action, narrative, and characters. When the game proper starts and you start open world, it nose dives. HARD.
Strongly agree. The finest act of that game had them onto a masterpiece. Then the rest of the game happened. Such a shame.

I'd argue FF7.

Midgar is when the pacing, story, world-building, etc are at their most focused. Even further, I still consider the opening bombing mission the most memorable part of the game.
Strongly disagree. The game gets so much better after Midgar in my opinion. I'm actually replaying it now and was bored by the end of Midgar.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
MGS2 has one of the best closing stretches in gaming history come on folks

You mean the choppy awkward barely coherent stretch they hacked up to avoid 9/11 imagery? C'mon.

MGS2 is the very impressive Tanker sequence followed by a bunch of nonsense. Perfect choice for this thread.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Pilgrim vs The World

The first level had great atmosphere (helps that I live in Toronto), amazing music, and since it's the start of the game, the challenge was ideal at baseline stats. It sold me on the game being the level in the demo. Playing the full game had me disappointed that nothing else quite matched up, and by then I noticed how out of wack the leveling was.

Nov 2, 2017
I really disagree with MGS2. Maybe you just had to be there or something, but I went into it years later knowing all about Raiden and the bait and switch, etc, and I vastly preferred the Raiden part of the game.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Oh, fo real?

I guess I'm in for a bad time as I just ledt Gormott for the first time.

Yes and no. As far as level design/world design goes Gormott is definitely my favourite.

Pacing is very BioWare where it's a bit slow at the start but ramps up later and you tend to rush locations in favour of story. I'd say there are two locations on par with Gormott. Your mileage may vary

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What

How could you say that lol, gonna need to explain more than that.
Gormott and Uraya are essentially what people loved about the first and second games, wide open expanses that were quite pretty. but once you hit Mor Ardain, they become linear and uninteresting. they're still somewhat wide, but compared to the first two, it kinda felt like they started to run out of gas. Leftherian Archipelago was interesting, if it was in Xenoblade X. otherwise it was an annoyance with all that negative space. Tantal was too big for its own good when you remember how vertical it was. trying to do both wasn't interesting with the lack of interesting geography. Tempermantia was them trying to be wide and open like Gormott or Uraya, but with none of the interesting features. sure it made thematic sense, but it was still bland from an aesthetic standpoint. the other two areas (the spoiler ones) are just long-ass dungeons that suffered the same thing Mechonis did in the first game

Nov 23, 2017
Gormott and Uraya are essentially what people loved about the first and second games, wide open expanses that were quite pretty. but once you hit Mor Ardain, they become linear and uninteresting. they're still somewhat wide, but compared to the first two, it kinda felt like they started to run out of gas. Leftherian Archipelago was interesting, if it was in Xenoblade X. otherwise it was an annoyance with all that negative space. Tantal was too big for its own good when you remember how vertical it was. trying to do both wasn't interesting with the lack of interesting geography. Tempermantia was them trying to be wide and open like Gormott or Uraya, but with none of the interesting features. sure it made thematic sense, but it was still bland from an aesthetic standpoint. the other two areas (the spoiler ones) are just long-ass dungeons that suffered the same thing Mechonis did in the first game
I mean, counter point, those areas were not annoying, aesthetically pleasing and fun to play in. Especially the floating islands...Opinions I guess. Tantal and the last areas were the most engaging because of the story stakes so id hardly say gormott is the only good area

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Are you referring to the Forest level? That was one of my least favorite levels, it was slightly open but I did the bases in the "wrong" order and it reset the enemies. Terrible.

Thought the best stretch was 3-5 (The derelict spaceship mission, the city center one and then the beginning of the infiltration of the Helghan area).
The forest mission was not without flaws, but it seemed to be the most "next gen" level in the game, at least in my eyes. It was open and, graphically speaking, looked great. I do recall the respawning enemies. Not great, like the game itself.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, counter point, those areas were not annoying, aesthetically pleasing and fun to play in. Especially the floating islands...Opinions I guess. Tantal and the last areas were the most engaging because of the story stakes so id hardly say gormott is the only good area
all the hubbub about only 40 MS staff being on the game was something that I could feel with XC2. I just wasn't interested in the world they designed. Mor Ardain was just annoying to explore when I tried to fill out the cliffside factory part. Leftheria made me wish Skells from XCX was in the game. the snow area had some interesting gimmicks to it that made it memorable, like the slopes and the night time version with all the glowing rocks.

at the very least, MS is staffing up to prevent the same issue from happening, to it makes me hopeful for the environments in the next game

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think Dying Light is a game where the RPG progression only serves to simplify the mechanics, and that the slums area is much better than the affluent section of the city. Also a lot of the later special zombies just suck to fight.

For me, nothing beat the frantic feeling of when I was grabbing scrap wood to defend myself and kicking downed zombies to death. Crowds of zombies were to be avoided, not cut through. Getting neon battle-axes and shotguns out of every trunk later on is tiresome. A couple of the move upgrades are nice (drop kick is a big one), but things like zombie camouflage and instant kill neck snaps/curb stomps just made the game feel less exciting. The retractable grappling hook is fun for a while, but ultimately dumbs down the thinking you have to do to scale obstacles.

I hope Dying Light 2 is better in all that regard.
Yeah the grappling hook was a bad idea the way that it was designed and every single one of the special zombies/humans is abysmal. I did like the 2nd half though because it meant your weapons lasted more than 5 minutes. The stuff with infinite stamina at the end of the skill trees was bad as well
The forest mission was not without flaws, but it seemed to be the most "next gen" level in the game, at least in my eyes. It was open and, graphically speaking, looked great. I do recall the respawning enemies. Not great, like the game itself.
I thought it was actually pretty ugly at the time compared to the later stuff. The trees and shadow dithering was distracting.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Do you mean Crew Expendable in CoD4?

MW2's opening levels (beyond the tutorial) are Team Player and Cliffhanger, the former of which is pretty bog standard and serves mostly as an extended tutorial, but the latter of which is one of the early highlights of the game.
... yes D:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Just replayed Mega Man X8 and I have to say that none of the boss levels in the main game live up to the promise of the great opening level.