• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox Assault, you start with this epic fleet battle, then the rest of the missions are much smaller in scale.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
The new God of War game. The opening was pretty cool then it kinda fell into "kill this named troll/giant for the umpteenth time" with an occasional boss fight every now and then.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
People saying MGS2 are going to make me go insane.

I'd say MGS4 for sure, Evil Within 2 to an extent though that first level is VERY long, Halo ODST and Resident Evil 7.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How? The game doesn't really open up until a bit after you get your full party and that doesn't happen until like 30% into the story. In the beginning:

-You have access to only a select few Magicks and Technicks. This also makes Gambits more limited in scope.
-You only have one job.
-There are a bunch of enemies roaming around you are still severely underleveled for.
-There are only a handful of hunts available.

Once you finish
the Tomb of Raithwall
that's when the game really comes into its own.

Every 3D Sonic game. The first level is always decent, but then the games become trash.
Green Hill Zone is like the 2nd-weakest zone in Sonic Generations because of how simple it is, only to be beaten out by Planet Wisp.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not a single DOOM/Quake/HL joke yet. I am disappoint.

Unbenannt.jpg

Came here for this, thank you.

Shadows of the Empire is a greaaaaat example, as listed above. So is Episode 1 Podracer, come to think of it. The first race is a note-for-note recreation of the film's racecourse. There was nowhere to go from there but downhill, since the game has no mechanics or interesting twists to speak of.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How? The game doesn't really open up until a bit after you get your full party and that doesn't happen until like 30% into the story. In the beginning:

-You have access to only a select few Magicks and Technicks. This also makes Gambits more limited in scope.
-You only have one job.
-There are a bunch of enemies roaming around you are still severely underleveled for.
-There are only a handful of hunts available.

Once you finish
the Tomb of Raithwall
that's when the game really comes into its own.
First half of ff12 was great. I should had read OPs post better. It said first level my bad.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
51EFb9F6sRL._SX425_.jpg

Let's do a really cool sequence about the battle of Hoth culminating in the player taking down an AT-AT walker with a tow cable!
Great idea! And how about after that?
Generic third-person shooter I guess?
That's a severely unfair assessment of the game, I have to say. This game came out in 1996, when the rulebook for 3rd person shooters wasn't even written, so it was anything but generic. Sure a lot of it might not have been that fun or just down right frustrating, but it was ambitious as all hell, trying to reinvent the wheel at every turn, and there were so many set pieces. It was like uncharted before uncharted existed. Space combat, jet pack battles, speeder bike chases, platforming on moving trains, under water levels all before most developers even had a solid grasp on 3D!

Still blows my mind what these guys achieved with no one to guide them:

Vov

Dec 4, 2018
The whole game is obviously great but nothing afterward compares to the opening in RE4.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God of War (2018)

The first boss is the best fight in the entire game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another RPG: Final Fantasy 7.

I loved Midgar. the design, the pacing, everything. it felt tightly design, like those "they thought of how everything should be" kinda moments

then after that, it just felt like wheels spinning because they didn't know what to do outside of a base story idea. so they padded the game till they hit those ideas

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like this with Dead Island. First area on the beach was cool and interesting enough, but the further levels deeping into the island just seemed bland and stale to me.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Black back in the day had my favorite first level in fps, and I hated the rest of the game

Indigo prophesy also opens with alot of interactivity and falls apart. Actually ya know games that open with "verticle slices" always do this

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the opening level to Perfect Dark was the most adrenaline-pumping one in the game. Everything else that followed paled in comparison.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Persona 5. First dungeon was perfect.

Metal Gear Solid V, both Ground Zeroes existence and I'd even say Phantom Pains stretch until you meet Kaz.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
MGS4's Middle East level was pretty much the centerpiece of the game, it goes from 5/5 and slowly devolves as it goes on, as far as levels go. I really wish we had another MGS experience like that first level, maybe Death Stranding will have a battlefield section like that

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games blow their musical wads on the first level.

Something like ActRaiser, I don't even feel like progressing past Fillmore, because Fillmore's theme is just too good. Even if the gameplay doesn't get worse.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
God of War 3. Amazing game throughout, but that beginning was legendary.
God of War 1 to 3 and even Ascension are pretty much like this. The biggest setpiece fights are always in the beginning. And I think it's a perfect way to really pull you into the action. There are enough amazing highs after those intros, but the intros are legendary.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The new God of War game. The opening was pretty cool then it kinda fell into "kill this named troll/giant for the umpteenth time" with an occasional boss fight every now and then.

Yeah, that fist fight was a good sign of what to come until it didn't. Even the big boss fights were repeated a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
Every 3D Sonic game. The first level is always decent, but then the games become trash.
Best level in Sonic Adventure: Not sure but it sure as hell aint the first level. Not even top 5.

Best level in Sonic Adventure 2: It's City Escape I'll give you that one.

Sonic Heroes: Lots of good choices. None of them are Seaside Hill.

Sonic 06: Probably Crisis City. Definitely not the first level

Sonic and the Secret Rings: Nah first level isn't even close to the best.

Sonic Unleashed: Rooftop Run? Cool Edge? Dragon Road? Regardless, it aint the first level.

Sonic Colours: Starlight Carnival? Aquariam Park? Quite a few choices and none of them are Tropical Resort.

Sonic Generations: Dude aside from Planet Wisp every level is better than Green Hill.

Lost World: Yeah it might be actually. Game made a good first impression.

Forces: Well every level was shit.

So no, I disagree with this assessment.

Aug 9, 2018
Brain fart... What's the game with 2B... (Googles...)
Nier autamata!
I played the demo, loved it. Played the game, obviously first level is the demo.. then the game turned more into an open world action rpg. . The demo seemed more if a linear devil may cry with shooter/bullet hell sections.

Set up the won't expectations for me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate example of this is Nightmare Creatures for PSX.

D96y0t3.png

Nightmare Creatures was a 3D action game where you progressed through linear levels defeating zombified, gory creatures risen from the dead by Aleister Crowley esque black magic, in a sort of 19th century, Victorian-era London. The ambiance of the first level was awesome, with detailed (for the time) alley ways, cemeteries, dungeons, and streets, with surprising enemy encounters. THe first level was released as a demo on a OPM issue or some official demo disc, and it was amazing. I patiently awaited the game, rented it, only to find that all of the subsequent levels were uninspired, boring, same enemy encounters, and ugly. They clearly put a lot of effort into the first level and almost none in the rest.

THe game has an amazing opening with detailed lore, great mood, excellent voice reading, a strong connection with history and a well thought out story. That shipped on the demo.

The intro for this game is so sick. The first level was great. The rest is terrible.

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no, I disagree with this assessment.

You forgot to mention that after the first level there is usually a bucket full of tedious crap that you will have to suffer through, before the games become mildly fun again. It doesn't help that all 3D Sonic games usually have about only 2-4 levels that are decent, buried under insane amount of tedium. The reason i said the first level is the peak is because the impression of the games usually is positive at the start, but it goes downhill afterwards, even if a few of the levels later on are enjoyable.

The games fail to sustain a consistent level of quality that the first levels sets all the way through.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 qualifies for sure. The village is the best and most memorable scene and it's basically the opening credits.

Oct 28, 2017
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell
One more soldier reporting sir
I've served my time in hell

OP is BANG ON. The absolute best example there isn't a better one. What I just quoted? An opening forever etched in my gaming memory. An opening I've experienced many many times. Simply unforgettable. What a goddamn introduction to the PS2 for me. Surely I loved Medal of Honour Frontline, right?

Lol I literally remember fuck all about the game outside of that opening level. But that opening I played sooooo many times.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mafia 3 yet. It has a fantastic opening with great energy, interesting characters and fun action moments, but then it goes completely downhill, as if another game company took over. I've never played a game that lost it's momentum so fast.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
BotW, where you're in this relatively contained area, still having trouble with the combat, getting new puzzle tools...and then you leave it and you get nothing new or interesting for the rest of the game.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm concerned people think flashy scripted sequences and qtes are better than the gameplay that some of the above games mention.

God of war 3? Opening act is flashy yet straightforward teaching mechanics, the boss it self is ok. Much better gameplay and fights later on.

God of war 4 opening stranger fight LoL. It's pretty much a flashy qte.

The optional bosses and twin brothers are way better than this.
I'm sure there's more examples.

Oct 28, 2017
You forgot to mention that after the first level there is usually a bucket full of tedious crap that you will have to suffer through, before the games become mildly fun again. It doesn't help that all 3D Sonic games usually have about only 2-4 levels that are decent, buried under insane amount of tedium. The reason i said the first level is the peak is because the impression of the games usually is positive at the start, but it goes downhill afterwards, even if a few of the levels later on are enjoyable.

The games fail to sustain a consistent level of quality that the first levels sets all the way through.
That's a fair point.