• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I might try and purchase a 60gb ps3.

Edit - The main issues with this console was the thermal paste no?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This is why BC is so important. There are tons of PS games I'd like to go back and play.

I love the God of War series. I even played PSP/Vita (PS+) God of War(s).

I wish Sony would put in the effort of MS (also wish Nintendo would put in the same effort).

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Sadly, lots of great games are stuck on the PS3.

VIsj11c.gif
That's a fucking shame too.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It blows my mind that Sony never re-released Killzone 2 & 3 on PS4.

Sony remastered pretty much every one of their major PS2 releases on PS3, and all those remastered editions are just stranded on PS3 now. God of War, Ratchet, Sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, Ico/SotC, all of them have pretty definitive releases stuck exclusive to the PS3
Not sure about the others but the Jak and Daxter collection is on PS4.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
These titles need to be remastered/ported over to PS4/PS5/PC
-Tales of Graces F
-Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
-Darkstalkers Resurrection
-Disgaea 3
-Disgaea D2
-Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy
-Final Fight Double Impact
-Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection
-Red Dead Redemption GOTY
-Resident Evil The Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles
-Tekken Tag Tournament 2

These titles need to be remastered/ported over to PS4/PS5
-InFamous 1, 2 and Festival of Blood
-Resistance Trilogy
-Killzone 1, 2 and 3
-God of War Saga
-God of War Ascension
-Ico
-LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2
-Ratchet and Clank Trilogy
-Sly Cooper Trilogy
-Sly 4

Tons of other games too that I missed, these are just that were in my backlog and what I can remember.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
God of War Collection
God of War: Origins Collection
God of War: Ascension
Asura's Wrath is BC on XBox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eZ6hBO5qw

I'm going to say Drakengard 3.
Give me the Ratchet and Clank games now!!! I'll happily pay for another greatest hits remaster.
Puppeteer
Tokyo Jungle
Killzone 2 and 3
Folklore
The God of War Collection

And many, many more.
Not fully the same but all of these except for Folklore are on PS Now for PS4/PC. I just played through Puppeteer few months ago on there and it played great. All depends on your internet obviously.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I'm still dreaming of a MotorStorm World Tour, with all content of MV, PR, and AE combined, with an Apocalypse Remake on top.

Not fully the same but all of these except for Folklore are on PS Now for PS4/PC.
What happens when you play Folklore through PC? I always wanted to play it but couldn't because of motion controls.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I might try and purchase a 60gb ps3.

Edit - The main issues with this console was the thermal paste no?
The main issue was the lead-free solder they used. Apparently the heat inside the PS3 can cause it to melt and lose connection in certain spots. Sometimes you can fix it temporarily by opening it up and using a heat gun on the motherboard, which also involves replacing the thermal paste every time.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
Never played any of the ratchet and clank games until a few months ago and surprised to see neither the hd collection or future series got any PS4 ports at all. Resistance too for that matter. MGS 4 is another one in my backlog, and folklore seems to be another big one I see people talk about a lot recently and that isn't even available digitally.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still dreaming of a MotorStorm World Tour, with all content of MV, PR, and AE combined, with an Apocalypse Remake on top.

What happens when you play Folklore through PC? I always wanted to play it but couldn't because of motion controls.
Folklore is not on PS Now so no PC sadly

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always keep my PS3 for NieR: Gestalt, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Remaster, original Demon's Souls, and the God of War Collection and Ascension. (And for Drakengard 3 if I want to be really depressed, lol.) I'm not sure if the UC3 face models were used for the entire Nathan Drake Collection, so it's a good reason to keep the original Uncharted games. The digital PS1 games are great, too. I think the entire FFXIII trilogy is available on Xbox, so at least that isn't an issue.

With Playstation's backwards compatabilty being so ehhh, it's depressing to look at all the multi-platform games I'll have to rebuild on Xbox sometime. At least it shouldn't be too expensive.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
With a PS3 you can also play (almost) all disc based PS1 games (and many of those are also available digitally).

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This list seems quite exhaustive :

It was huge when that gen ended, I don't think most people realize just how much, but most games ended up getting ports, remasters or remakes with Demon's Souls being the standout game still locked to the platform until the upcoming remake was announced.
But even then there are still plenty: Puppeteer, Resistance trilogy, MGS4, Tokyo Jungle, Folklore, Tales of Xillia 1&2, etc...

Some very PS focused easter eggs - joking about Blu-Ray drives and Memory Cards and even Sixaxis vs Dual Shock 3. The MK II is controlled with a PS3 controller. There's a PS3 and PSP in the game.

There's also a load of Sony and Apple product placement in the game, probably experied agreements there.

On a tech level, the engine was basically built just for that game on that console before Kojima Productions shifted to Fox Engine development.
I loved the iPod.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
Max Payne 3, all God of War HD Collections, God of War Ascension , Killzone 1HD, 2 and 3, Resistance 1, 2 and 3, Folklore, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Metal Gears Solid 4...

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Puppeteer should've been a PS3/launch PS4 title and I will defend that to the death.

They really sent that game out to die without even considering the PS4. SMH.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo Jungle feels like a lost original PlayStation classic from Japan that somehow got a remaster. Seriously endearing game that I wish Sony would revisit. This would have been perfect for Vita especially.

I can understand why Yakuza: Dead Souls never got remastered, but it is the game in the series that genuinely needs it the most. The performance tanks constantly and those QTEs are some of the worst in gaming history.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish Bamco ported Tales of Xillia duology to PC and current/next-gen consoles.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Shatter. Really cool Breakout-style game with a tremendously good soundtrack.

That one is coming to PS4, Xbox One and Switch:

Just a little update here, we were a little slow to spin up at the end of last year, but are working with an external dev team to help make the ports happen, and they have made great progress in getting stuff running on hardware. No definitive release date or SKU plan yet, though Xbox One, PS4, and Switch likely (the port work at least is covering all of those). Might be end of the year. More likely early next year.

"Early next year" was supposed to be early 2020 but things got delayed and the current plan is for the end of this year. At least that was the last update.

Jan 2, 2018
I just recently put some time into my PS3 and its such a treasure of PS legacy content ,seriously:
I played Resistance 1,then played some Motorstorm Pacific Rift, later jumped to Rayman 2 Revolution ,a PS2 Classics that I recently bought (also ,the variety on PS3 is sooo much better than PS4..such a missed opportunity from Sony) and ended with some Toy Story 2 for nostalgia.

A PS3 title,PS2 title and a PS1 title from vastly different times, years apart from each other, on a single Sony console.

Sony has such a rich legacy, maybe more than any other platform outside Nintendo and seeing them not giving BC the focus it deserves on next-gen (I'm talking PS1,PS2 and to some extent PS3,not PS4) is a serious bummer.
PS3 is a gem for that reason alone to the point I would recommend people getting one for cheap even today.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
This thread makes me so sad. It's the reason I still have and will continue to have my PS3 hooked up, now two generations later.

I fear that PC emulation will be the best option to play many of these titles, since Sony continues to ignore the need to recognize previous generations.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently put some time into my PS3 and its such a treasure of PS legacy content ,seriously:
I played Resistance 1,then played some Motorstorm Pacific Rift, later jumped to Rayman 2 Revolution ,a PS2 Classics that I recently bought (also ,the variety on PS3 is sooo much better than PS4..such a missed opportunity from Sony) and ended with some Toy Story 2 for nostalgia.

A PS3 title,PS2 title and a PS1 title from vastly different times, years apart from each other, on a single Sony console.

Sony has such a rich legacy, maybe more than any other platform outside Nintendo and seeing them not giving BC the focus it deserves on next-gen (I'm talking PS1,PS2 and to some extent PS3,not PS4) is a serious bummer.
PS3 is a gem for that reason alone to the point I would recommend people getting one for cheap even today.

I absolutely agree with you.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This thread makes me so sad. It's the reason I still have and will continue to have my PS3 hooked up, now two generations later.

I fear that PC emulation will be the best option to play many of these titles, since Sony continues to ignore the need to recognize previous generations.
It's really rather unfortunate. But at least there's an option, any option.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Drakengard 3 looks like a completely different game running at a stable framerate.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
LittleBigPlanet 2.

I will never stop believing that this was one of the best Ps3 games and the best game of LBP. While I am sorta hyped for Sackboy's Adventure, the series just hasn't been the same since Media Molecule left it.

Tekken Tag Tournament HD.

Since this game is only available as part of Tekken Hybrid which is a Ps3 game, there is no way to play the original Tekken Tag remastered except on Ps3.

Speaking of which, I guess one could make the argument that if anyone wants to play backward compatible games from three generations ago, that is also stuck on Ps3 since that's the last console that could play Ps2 and 1 games.

Oct 24, 2019

I wouldn't say that Sony ignores it. After all, we've gotten Shadow of the Colossus remake, God of War 3 remaster, MediEvil remake, Demon's Souls remake, Uncharted 1-3 remasters, The Last of Us remaster, WipEout collection, etc.

They just unfortunately have a very slow approach to bringing stuff forward, similar to Nintendo. I'm confident that we'll see plenty more quality remakes/remasters of classics throughout the PS5's lifecycle. Killzone, Twisted Metal, inFamous, Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Resistance, Ico, MediEvil 2, and Sly Cooper all seem like the most likely bets to me.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I wouldn't say that Sony ignores it. After all, we've gotten Shadow of the Colossus remake, God of War 3 remaster, MediEvil remake, Demon's Souls remake, Uncharted 1-3 remasters, The Last of Us remaster, WipEout collection, etc.

They just unfortunately have a very slow approach to bringing stuff forward, similar to Nintendo. I'm confident that we'll see plenty more quality remakes/remasters of classics throughout the PS5's lifecycle. Killzone, Twisted Metal, inFamous, Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Resistance, Ico, MediEvil 2, and Sly Cooper all seem like the most likely bets to me.

I agree with your point, but to add that there are literally 1000s of games on the PS1, PS2 and PS3 which will forever be stuck on those aging consoles, that folks would want to play. There's a legacy of people who have invested in the Playstation ecosystem for literally decades and are forced to find other means to continue to play the classic games they love.

BC doesn't really make sense for the kids who started playing on PS4 seven years ago, but there are millions of gamers who started with the PS1-PS2 era and still play games today who would be interested in being able to continue playing their library of classic games. That as recent as the PS3 which still had PS1/PS2 BC, Sony seems to taken a sharp redirection with their BC focus which irks many Playstation owners like myself.