• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, I never been a console guy, except for Nintendo stuff, but I recognize the good stuff that playstation have. So I have been considering getting one of the consoles, but I'm worried that getting either ps5 or xbox, I still won't get to play some of the ps3 exclusives anyway. So I want to know what I would be missing. What games can only be played in the ps3?

Also, what models of ps3 can run ps2 games?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4. God damn it.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sigma 2, too. Razor's Edge is thankfully available on the Series X.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
3D Dot Game Heroes
Folklore
Majin & the Forsaken Kingdom
Puppeteer
Asura's Wrath
Motorstorm

Heck, throw in the PS2 on PS3 digital titles that are stuck there as well (Digital Devil Saga)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't count PS now as an actual solution so for me there's many, even if you do there's many.

Ratchet and Clank franchise
God of War franchise
Infamous franchise
Resistance franchise
Killzone trilogy
Folklore
Mgs4
3D dot game heroes
Puppeteer
Much more.

If you include multiplat games that never made it and are stuck it's much longer.

El Shaddai
Spyro sequels
Bunch of licensed stuff like simpsons or saw

I hate that so many games are tied to hardware that will never be made again, not to mention how hard some games are to find or expensive to get.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Buy a PS3. I thought I would have to buy just a few games to catch up with everything great but its actually dozens of games stuck on PS3. Totally worth it.

Not everything is PS3 exclusive but here we go:
Kane and Lynch 1 a 2
Dead Space trilogy
Singularity
Enslaved
RDR
MGS Legacy Collection
Killzone 2 a 3
Puppeteer
GOW saga
Max Payne 3
Spec Ops: The Line
Beyong Good and Evil
Brothers in Arms games
The Orange Box
Resistance trilogy
Motorstorm Pacific Rift/Apocalypse
Ratchet and Clank: Future Trilogy
Ico
Binary Domain
Heavenly Sword
Infamous 1 and 2
Rage
Starhawk
Portal 2
MGR revengeance
Batman Arkham origins
The Sly Collection
Prince of persia
Battlefield Games (BC2 FTW)
Saboteur,
50 Cent game
MIrrors Edge
El Shaddai
Siren Blood Curse
Folklore
LBP
Fat Princess
Time Shift
Resonance of Fate
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Asura's Wrath
Brutal Legend
Remember Me
3D Dot game heroes
X-COM 1
White Knight Chronicles
Tokyo Jungle
Alice Madness Returns

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent resource. Thanks for the link.

Absolutely shocked that there is no way to play the original PS2 games on the PS4. You would think that Sony would at least release the emulated versions on the PlayStation Store....
Sadly, lots of great games are stuck on the PS3.

VIsj11c.gif

Oct 24, 2019
Killzone 2 & 3

Resistance 1-3

inFamous 1, 2, & Festival of Blood

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Folklore

Puppeteer

Siren: Blood Curse

Metal Gear Solid IV

God of War Collection

LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2

Ratchet & Clank Collection

Warhawk & Starhawk

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
To me, the biggest offenders are:

Motorstorm franchise (nothing else quite like those games on current gen)
Killzone 2 (my favorite FPS of that gen)
MGS4 (one of the franchise's best)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

Absolutely shocked that there is no way to play the original PS2 games on the PS4. You would think that Sony would at least release the emulated versions on the PlayStation Store....

Aren't they all on PS Now? That's something at least.

There's some games that don't even have that option...

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe Dead Nation didn't have a sequel or an HD port at this point

NBA JAM OFE (tho XBOX 360 it's backwards compatible)
Twisted Metal
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (delisted)
Marvel vs Capcom Origins (delisted)
Jojo Bizzare Adventure HD. Ver (delisted)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
Puppeteer
Siren: Blood Curse
Calling All Cars!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For me, the highlights are:

Siren: Blood Curse - Best graphics & the most accessible of the Siren series (my favorite horror series of all-time).
Tales of Graces F - My favorite Tales game. Not the best visuals & the story is meh, but the gameplay is great.
Tokyo Jungle - A weird roguelike where you play as animals in a post-apocalyptic Japan.

The PS3 is also backwards compatible with PS1 games (physical & digital) and there are some PS2 games on the PSN that only work on the PS3 so that's a cheap & accessible way to get a hold of some good PS2 games without having to get a PS2 and track down a physical copy. For example, several of the Atlus PS2 RPGs are up, along with the excellent side-scrolling shmup Gradius V.

Cmc

Nov 1, 2017
Buy a PS3. I thought I would have to buy just a few games to catch up with everything great but its actually dozens of games stuck on PS3. Totally worth it.

Not everything is PS3 exclusive but here we go:

The Orange Box

Lots of great games on that list but The Orange Box ran absolutely terribly on PS3 lol

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
Technically the Dad version of Nier 1 is trapped on that console generation since the remaster is using the Japanese brother version only.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I still have my PS3 connected just to play NBA JAM OFE. Hopefully with Series S/X i will finally be able to put the system to rest

Tho we still need to free MGS4 from the PS3's claws

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Puppeteer
Tokyo Jungle
Killzone 2 and 3
Folklore
The God of War Collection

And many, many more.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

Sony remastered pretty much every one of their major PS2 releases on PS3, and all those remastered editions are just stranded on PS3 now. God of War, Ratchet, Sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, Ico/SotC, all of them have pretty definitive releases stuck exclusive to the PS3

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
For me, the highlights are:

Siren: Blood Curse - Best graphics & the most accessible of the Siren series (my favorite horror series of all-time).
Tales of Graces F - My favorite Tales game. Not the best visuals & the story is meh, but the gameplay is great.
Tokyo Jungle - A weird roguelike where you play as animals in a post-apocalyptic Japan.

The PS3 is also backwards compatible with PS1 games (physical & digital) and there are some PS2 games on the PSN that only work on the PS3 so that's a cheap & accessible way to get a hold of some good PS2 games without having to get a PS2 and track down a physical copy. For example, several of the Atlus PS2 RPGs are up, along with the excellent side-scrolling shmup Gradius V.

Wow I didn't remember you can play PS1 games on PS3. I bought Gran Turismo 2 while I was on Japan just to have as decoration, I can't believe I can actually play it lol damn I would had bought more games if I knew.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I mean, a lot of these listed games are on PC. Dead Space Trilogy for example is in no way stranded on PS3, lol. I just played Dead Space 1 a bit last night on Steam!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sony remastered pretty much every one of their major PS2 releases on PS3, and all those remastered editions are just stranded on PS3 now. God of War, Ratchet, Sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, Ico/SotC, all of them have pretty definitive releases stuck exclusive to the PS3
Yeah, I actually caved last year and finally played Ghost of Sparda on my hacked Vita. It is a shame because I really wanted to play it with trophies.