• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Persona 5. I can't believe how highly rated that game is. The themes aren't consistent, the localisation is bland, the dialogue is repetitive, the twists are signposted a mile off, and it's far too long for its own good.

I will never understand the universal praise for this game.

May 17, 2019
For me is most(all?) of AAA games. yeah the graphics are excelent but they generaly don't really push the gameplay into new fun/exciting mechanics. The fact they are all very light on content also makes them a bit forgettable.
With the exception of total war and death stranding i don't think any AAA game has ever grabbed me.

I can see where you are coming from but i highly doubt nathan drake breaking down would lead to murdering hundreds/thousands of civilizans, military allies,etc for an imaginary enemy just so he doesn't have to take responsibility of being a shitty commander/person.

Personally speaking it was a very refreshing take on military shooter/approach to FPSs.

I'm admittally biased given that I presented at two different conferences on the merits of Spec Ops, but it really is one of my favorite games. Sure, the game play is pretty average, but it is one of the few games that I can point to as being a proper deconstruction in the Derrida lineage.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I just played Nier: Automata for the first time this month. I went into it expecting a masterpiece based on the way people hype it up so much.

Route A was very intriguing, I liked all the locations I was encountering and the combat felt fresh and the characters were cool. However, I never knew what the fuck was going on -- it was like a series of vignettes very loosely stitched together with no real coherent story going on. And then it just ends.

Then Route B starts and it's basically identical to Route A except for the gameplay style and a few narrative beats. I was EXTREMELY bored throughout this route since I was basically replaying everything I had just done for the last 15 hours. I skipped every side quest (because why would i want to do the same side quests twice?) and every optional encounter.

Then Route C starts and immediately the story is more intriguing than anything else that's happened in this game. Unfortunately, however, I was so underleveled from skipping all the optional stuff in Route B that I literally could not beat the introductory battle where enemies were like 15-25 levels above me. So I had to set the game on easy and let the auto-program fight for me, which fucking sucked hard. I like A2 and the relationship between the pods and there are some cool battles, but again I didn't feel like I really understood most of what was happening. Maybe part of this is because it's the first Nier game I've played and am missing context from the original? Idk.

People also always hype up Platinum combat so much, but I didn't really feel like the combat in this game was so remarkable. Honestly enjoyed the combat in FFVIIR or KH3 a lot more.

^I know that all of the above is probably going to be a pretty unpopular opinion lol.

In any case, the elements I *did* love were the music and character designs, which were incredible.
Playing the original NieR wasn't vital for understanding Automata, but it does provide more perspective concerning Devola and Popola, along with knowing what to expect from the state of the world after the original before Automata gets into it.

Though Automata played better than the original, I didn't consider the combat exceptional by Platinum standards either.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't usually pay attention to other players' opinions about stories for various reasons, but the one thing I'll always have a hard time wrapping my head around is how people feel the Witcher games, namely 2 and 3, are aptly written. Outside of very specific moments, they aren't. At all.

The main plot of TW3 for example is a trope-filled borefest.

Oct 24, 2019
Another one is Observer. I was super excited for this game since I'm a big fan of both cyberpunk and horror fiction, and this seemed like an awesome melding of both going into it. Plus, people kept hyping up how cool it was to have Rutger Hauer voice the main character and how good he was.

First thing I noticed about the game was how much I disliked Rutger Hauer as the main character. His voice just sounded... weird? I don't really know how to explain it or what put me off so much about it. I just couldn't get invested in this detective who's supposed to be a badass but just sounds tired and bored all the time.

The setting was intriguing and I liked the way you slowly unlock more parts of the apartment complex, and it was cool how you would interact with some characters through their doors but never actually come face to face to them, which was a nice touch that added to the mystique of the game.

The "mind-jacking" or whatever it was called was as interesting concept initially, but it's implemented so poorly. I got so damn tired (and honestly a little motion sick) from the number of times you would walk through a doorway and the setting would drop out from under you and put you in a disorienting new environment. It wasn't all that clever, just annoying. It happened like every 20 seconds at one part of the game.

I never really felt scared and the stealth sections were pretty tedious.

Also the ending was just wtf (and not in a good way). It left me feeling so cold on an experience that I was already lukewarm about

May 17, 2019
For fun let's add a game you thought was great mentioned after the game you were disappointed by.

I'd love to compare the two and try to glean perspective.
Great idea, add some positive to the thread. Hated Automata, loved Lost Odyssey. Loathed Bioshock Infinite, adore Spec Ops. Despise Sony's first person titles writing, but am a massive fanboy for everything from Ice-Pick Lodge.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I recall the Lore was praised, and story was classic FF.

It wasn't bad per se, it was just not that interesting to me. And as far as i remember, many praised it for it's story, but that was 6 years ago, maybe i'm wrong :).

@ Nier Automata
So many complaining about it, and i was thinking about buying it... Will wait for Nier Replicant.

Edit:
Surprised no mentions of Witcher 3 (or didnt i see it?). I thought that game was really overrated. That combat was so damn boring, it took all the fun out of that game for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Persona 5, Nier: Automata and BoTW. These are 3 games that are adored by vast amounts of people and I think all 3 are just....not good games at all lol. I have never liked a Persona so I'm not surprised by that one. I loved the first Nier, but Automata is just meh to me, I didn't even want to play it anymore after finishing Route A. Lastly BoTW is just not a Zelda game in my eyes, I have loved damn near every game in the series except a few handheld ones and I felt BoTW to be a lifeless game that is just there to show some big ass open world.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Witcher 3's story and world were every bit as good as everyone said. The gameplay was bland and shallow. It was a necessary evil between gwent games and story progression.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
The Witcher 3 i guess,the main plot was mostly boring imo.
There's only one scene in the Isle of Myst that stuck with me, very emotional.
Now Hearts of Stone is a different thing,i loved it.

I've never been able to get into Witcher 3. I'm thinking I'm going to give it one more go when they release those updates for next gen games, just given how much people love the game. But I've never cared enough to go much past the tutorials or the first town you encounter.

Oct 24, 2019
Lastly BoTW is just not a Zelda game in my eyes, I have loved damn near every game in the series except a few handheld ones and I felt BoTW to be a lifeless game that is just there to show some big ass open world.

I haven't played BotW yet, but Zelda is one of my favorite (if not my favorite, period) game series of all time, and this is my concern about BotW. All the reasons that people gush over BotW don't sound like reasons I like playing Zelda games (except for puzzles I guess).

I want an overworld with a series of dungeons, each with distinct and interesting themes, where you get an item that you must use to solve the dungeon's puzzles and defeat the boss. It sounds like BotW does away with all of that and just kind of homogenizes the challenges into a vast open world and you can do anything at any time with any tool you have handy.

Sounds like a great game, but *not* what I want from Zelda

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The Missing. The gameplay was tedious as heck and one of the two big plot elements felt projected from miles away. Coming off of D4 I was completely underwhelmed.

I haven't played BotW yet, but Zelda is one of my favorite (if not my favorite, period) game series of all time, and this is my concern about BotW. All the reasons that people gush over BotW don't sound like reasons I like playing Zelda games (except for puzzles I guess).

I want an overworld with a series of dungeons, each with distinct and interesting themes, where you get an item that you must use to solve the dungeon's puzzles and defeat the boss. It sounds like BotW does away with all of that and just kind of homogenizes the challenges into a vast open world and you can do anything at any time with any tool you have handy.

Sounds like a great game, but *not* what I want from Zelda

You aren't gonna like it :( One of my biggest issues is that you get almost all of your main tools within the first few hours because the game is so non linear.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
For fun let's add a game you thought was great mentioned after the game you were disappointed by.

I'll bite.

I'm oftentimes impressed by Japanese games' writing, especially JRPGs.

Recently, I was blown away by how well constructed Tokyo Xanadu was for example, an otherwise bog-standard high-school anime fantasy about teens fighting demons at night.

The overall flow is very good with plot twists occurring just-in-time to shake things up when they were getting a bit too stale.

The story ramps up perfectly from high-school teen drama to the usual end-of-the-world scenario.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i really liked nier automata, though i understand the complaints, esp about Route B. i do think Nier was better even though automata played better.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Nioh. A kinda original souls-like with the worst mechanic in gaming: looting. And I've never in my life cringed so much with cutscenes. Sound design was pretty good, and the art direction was fine too.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Though I hated Chaos;Child, having loved Chaos;Head before it and how it did things (still easily the most satisfied I've been with any Science Adventure universe story overall in how it ended) very much factored into my disappointment with its sequel.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
RDR2 for me, the gameplay is a chore, mission design is dumb as it can be and the narrative got tremendously outclassed by God of War months earlier. it felt all around a western greatest hits, it has everything from cinema.

even tho i beat it, i'm willing to give it another chance and play it on Ps5.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles - For a decade I never played far enough on Wii to see whatever brilliant twists and turns the game made in its final act that made people swoon. Finally experiencing it on Switch and....yea it was over the top nonsense that was nonsensical and illogical. The first 80% of the game was an enjoyable and simple journey largely born out of revenge with a tinge of mystery surrounding this crazy world of titans. Then the final act just...well some of the spoiler reveals pushed my rather large threshold for BS to its limit. Unfortunate really as I like the game.

Uncharted 4 - Yea...well acted, but a flimsy foundation where Drake was unlikeable for being endlessly untruthful to his wife, Elena was unlikeable for being written as the impediment to Nathan's desires and the crux of his whirlwind of lies, the brother was unlikeable for being some plot anomaly. So much talent and effort, but eh.

Horizon ZD - Predictable and rather monotone. Just never felt compelled or engaged into the grand conspiracy or the societal changes that stemmed from past wrongs. Despite all the praise it never captivated me.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
marvel's spiderman
batman arkham series

not sure why i never clicked with this type of games even though majority of people seems like it

uncharted 4

i love the trilogy, but i couldn't bring myself to finish uncharthed 4, probably because i'm bored with the gameplay and the formula

btw some people seems don't like Bloodborne and Nier Automata, glad i like both, Nier Automata particularly quickly become one of the best narrative games i ever experienced, that game is so memorable even untill this day

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Basically every fire emblem game. I can't stand the story and think they have always been utter crap and the dialogue and everything is horrible. Game play is solid, but the stories are some of the shittiest I've ever played.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Persona 4. Big fan of 3 and I enjoyed 4 but its whole story and characters just went right past me and wasn't that memorable.
Uncharted franchise as well but I also am not in the indiana jones crowd etc too so it had a lot of things against it from the start.
Halo 1-3+ODST, tried to get into it but I wasn't feeling the floaty feel of it at all.
Batman Arkham series, tried all of them and beat the Rocksteady 3, really good story and characterizations but fuuuuuueesh how the hell do you people play these brain dead combat games and praise them. Along with Unreal Engine 3 generic visuals from that era, the sheer amount of copy cat combat systems this spawned really makes me wonder about people.
Zelda franchise as well, I actually don't think they are bad but I just can't get past the 50% mark in any of them. They all have these "twists" that ask you to do the same dang thing you did in the first half just for a new set of items or in a slightly reversed world.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles DE

Boy oh boy. Side quest litering every section of the map everywhere you go and all of them are the same dumb fetch/hunt crap.

The story and characters are pretty much your average Shonen type anime stereotypes. I was expecting it to be an instant classic but I was just bored of running all over the giant ass maps. Dropped it twice already at around 10-15 hours.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
GTA3, is the biggest for me. I fell flat off that one.

Gears 2+, it was no longer my 1st 360 game so the world didn't grab me anymore.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia

For recent games:
  • Hated Xenoblade 2, loved Xenoblade 1
  • Disappointed by Mario Odyssey, loved Breath of the Wild
  • Disappointed by TLOU Part 2, loved Celeste
  • Disappointed by Persona 5, loved Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Disappointed by Astral Chain, liked Bayonetta 2 a lot

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
I feel like this thread has just turned into a list of GOAT video games of all time. So I'll just double down and throw Planescape: Torment and Legacy of Kain into the list.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
RDR2. The writing was painful. Dutch was an awful character, dumb as shit, and the fact people kept following him, poor decision after poor decision, was just too much to suspend disbelief. There were some pretty questionable controls and gameplay mechanics as well, but it's really the writing that ruined the game for me.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I've never even played Nier: Automata but it's on my list just because Square decided to shove it into FFXIV for some reason as the Shadowbringers raid storyline and some art and fun gameplay mechanics aside (especially the hallways where you have to dodge the lasers and orbs) it's just not good. Especially after how good the Stormblood Ivalice raid trilogy was on all fronts.

Digging further back, Rez. Just wasn't into it.

Digging way further back, Halo + Halo 2. I thought Halo 2 was just kinda a poor rush job, and Halo 1 was very solid "It's fine" to me.

I will say that while BotW is one of my top 3 all time, I do wish there was more to the main story, especially after how the game was portrayed in the GOAT BoTW trailer.

Purely on story front, KotoR actually pops out to me. The two major twists were so telegraphed that I thought I'd missed an actual interesting twist. Still, loved the game overall.

Oct 27, 2017
NieR Automata: The Thread. I loved some parts of this game, but the story never took off for me. I can see how it spoke to others, but I felt I was missing something on a fundamental level.

Persona 5. Too many cliche anime tropes and otaku pandering for my taste.
Also this. 5 is the last Persona game I'll ever buy. That said, I will snap up any main series SMT game.

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
God of War (2018) for me, coming hot off the heels from The Last of Us 2,i ended up dropping it shortly after the hive type location. It started off amazingly good, then I just found myself incredibly bored and disinterested in everything happening

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
God of War (2018)
Great game but don't understand the praise and gushing over the plot

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yakuza Series - Charming cast of characters but the games' overall arcadiness, reliance on [bad] mini games, and incredibly repetitive combat are all major turnoffs. Tried giving 0 a second chance recently and couldn't last an hour. ERA talks about these games as if they're the second coming of Christ played by Christian Bale, but they just don't do it for me.

I like Yakuza games. I think Y0 is a fantastic game even.

But its always yakuza that pops into my mind when i go in a thread about a new game in a franchise that releases annual/bi-annual games. It's always people falling over eachother with their spicy takes on how "It sure looks like assassins creed!!!!" or "yep, thats forza alright" - you know, something along those lines, making fun of the series. But then, you look at yakuza, and frankly, there's even less variance between those games than some other franchise with frequent releases, yet yakuza is often held up as the second coming.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nier Automata. The world was kind of bland and uninteresting. The characters not really anything groundbreaking. The story was just okay.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see comments about Xenoblade Chronicles' last act here because I agree 100% that the game was great up until those last bits. The amount of twists on twists were crazy as hell and took me out. Never did beat the game, but I did watch the ending. Stopped in the final dungeon it seems.

I couldn't get into Life is Strange. Played through 1 or 2 episodes and the characters either annoyed me or there was too much uncanny valley for me to stick with it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
When I played the Last of Us on the PS3 months after its release. I was expecting the second coming of christ based on the word of mouth of the old forum. What I got was a game with fun gameplay and a good story. Which kinda left me unsure why the internet decided that it was "the" game. Guess I just wasn't the target demo lol

for something I loved I tried undertale after seeing people screaming its praise and this is an occasion where I 100% agreed. Game was funny, emotional, with catchy as hell music. I still think about my play through years later

Last edited:

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's a shame because I quit towards the beginning of Playthrough C when it's supposed to get really good. But the first few playthroughs were so underwhelming that when C didn't blow me away after a few hours I just shelved it.

I dropped it near the end of scenario A. The whole thing felt lethargic to me. The tone also felt forced in its sad and dreary feelings it's so desperately trying to evoke.

Soundtrack is great, though.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
in the spirit of offsetting some of this negativity...do you know what game did live up to the hype even though i played it decades after it came out? panzer dragoon saga.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV ARR. So many people where talking about it, how good it is, then i played it, finished it, and it was just not good. I heard Heavensward is much better, but after ARR i just couldnt play it anymore.

Yep, ARR is pretty generic and predictable, but I guess not exactly "bad". Then there was Stormbringers which was plain out bad.

And to add my own part to this thread, I think Shadowbringers is massively overrated. I thought it was just "good", but not nearly "one of if not the best FF in the series" like others. Not to mention I don't like the combat at all, mechanically and especially visually. I know a lot of people worship Yoshi P (some cringe inducingly so calling him a "God"), but I'm not automatically labeling FFXVI a guaranteed hit like some either for these reason. Though the trailer does have me optimistic so far.

Positive: I really liked Heavensward.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2
Maybe Death Strading even though it does not really qualifies as "everyone raved"