• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Hey there people.

So I've been playing Death Mark on the Switch as of recent and have been really enjoying the experience so far. I'm surprised how tense and at times uncomfortable it can be for a visual novel, a genre I'm not too familiar with.

Anyway, are there other similar horror experiences like Death Mark on the Switch or on other platforms that are worth checking out? I only found out recently that a successor to the game called NG is coming out next month, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Any suggestions would be grand.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I also haven't played enough VNs to make any broad claims, but I think The Silver Case (PS4, PC) is really good and horror adjacent. I'd definitely recommend it if you're digging Death Mark.

If tense and uncomfortable are what you're looking for, you'll definitely find that in The Silver Case as well.

The-Silver-Case-1-e1476961578591-696x351.jpg
The-Silver-Case-2.png

It's got a pretty darn solid soundtrack too.

Last edited:

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
While not strictly horror, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend The Silver Case and its sequel! It's the game that marked the beginning of the Grasshopper Manufacture journey and would inspire fan favorits like Killer7 and No More Heros (to the point that TSA is more about the Silver Case games than it is about NMH, really). It's dripping with style and atmosphere, kickass music, genuinely unique (if hard to get used to) gameplay style, and some of the best writing in any game I've ever played. It really is an experience like no other, and if you make it through, you'll likely come out with a new perspective on narrative in games! It's cheap and goes on sale frequently, both available on ps4 and steam. No switch version sadly, but I'm hoping for a collection to be released on it eventually!

EDIT:
I also haven't played enough VNs to make any broad claims, but I think The Silver Case is pretty horror adjacent and I'd recommend it if you're digging Death Mark.

NG, the followup to Death Mark is coming out soon too.

Horror Adjacent is definitely a good way of putting it, as the game has a good amount of truly unsettling moments and tense interactions.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No switch version sadly, but I'm hoping for a collection to be released on it eventually!
I'd be very in for a collection on Switch.

I also hope, even if it's a pipe dream, that Suda gets to do a remake or remaster for Moonlight Syndrome or the Twilight Syndrome titles. He has been recently working with Human for the Fire Pro follow-up story dlc.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi there, OP. The two posters above me have already recommended The Silver Case and its sequel, The 25th Ward, which are Suda51's hidden gems (he directed and was writer on them both!), I would also like to present you with another game as well (options are good, right?).

Here is another upcoming horror visual novel game on PS4 and Switch aside from NG:

This is out in October and looks really quite good.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Has Death Mark ever been on sale on the EU eShop? I'm really intrigued by it, but don't want to spend full price on it. it never seems to go on sale, though.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Episode 1 (When the Seagulls Cry)
Visual/Sound Novel (no gameplay per se, it's a book)
It's one of the most tense things I have ever read.
It's about a guy who decides to revist his rich asshole family he abandoned years ago, during grand gathering on their private island. First episode is grounded rest are more crazy.
2273914-main.png

OST is legendary.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Episode 1 (When the Seagulls Cry)
Visual/Sound Novel (no gameplay per se, it's a book)
It's one of the most tense things I have ever read.
It's about a guy who decides to revist his rich asshole family he abandoned years ago, during grand gathering on their private island. First episode is grounded rest are more crazy.
2273914-main.png

OST is legendary.

I love Umineko, but it's nothing like Death Mark >.< Like, at all. Not even Higurashi.

There's just too much of it to compare.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would recommend you check out Corpse Party, which is on many other platforms. Made in RPG Maker so not really a VN, but that's how the story is told within it. It's not exactly the same as Death Mark, but if you're going for a similar "reasonably normal-ish characters go into a fucked up world of nightmares and have to survive" premise, I'd give it a look. It's mildly problematic but otherwise neat

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I love Umineko, but it's nothing like Death Mark >.< Like, at all. Not even Higurashi.

There's just too much of it to compare.
If he sticks to EP1, he should be okay.
I read a bit of Death Mark tho, not all.

I would recommend you check out Corpse Party, which is on many other platforms. Made in RPG Maker so not really a VN, but that's how the story is told within it. It's not exactly the same as Death Mark, but if you're going for a similar "reasonably normal-ish characters go into a fucked up world of nightmares and have to survive" premise, I'd give it a look. It's mildly problematic but otherwise neat
Yeah Corpse Party too. Also Ib and Witch's House.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
The closest thing that I can think of is Song of Saya which is an amazing VN and easily in my top 3 besides Umineko and Morgana. Just listen to this track and tell me it can't be a decent horror VN :p

OP
OP
@TheFriendlyBro

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion!