• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, The Last of Us and Mass Effect 3 were highly anticipated in the run up to release for their single player, but had multiplayer content that were much better than they had a right to be. In fact I tend to enjoy these multiplayer outings than "pure multiplayer" games because I'm much more invested in the game after immersing in the characters and the setting.

Hopefully other story driven games like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 get breakout multiplayer as well next gen.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
If Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had continuous updates and then overhauls over the years it would be the greatest multiplayer ever. Loved that shit.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The last of us
Uncharted

Naughtydog in general does very solid multiplayer.

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
Would red faction count?

Because to this day I have yet to find a more complete multiplayer experience then what RFG gave me.
It was damn near perfection ... just typing this is making me so angry that Volition went a thousand steps back with RFA ... it just made no sense >=/

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is leagues better than the singleplayer. Sadly the weapon balance in Andromeda's multiplayer was pretty wack, everything from 3 was nerfed to hell.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4 are really the shining examples of this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah The Last of Us and Mass Effect 3 are poster children for this imo.

I played a hell of a lot of TLOU multiplayer. Like... a lot. Strike me up as one of the folk lying on my back on the floor screaming about the lack of multi in TLOU2. It's a huge loss.

ME3 multiplayer had no right to be as fun as it was. But I loved it. Probably more than the single player.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I mean the single player was okay

BUT YOOOOOOOOOO THAT MP THO

2995857-box_swe3.png

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had continuous updates and then overhauls over the years it would be the greatest multiplayer ever. Loved that shit.
ME3 multiplayer did in fact have continuous free content and features updates including new maps, new weapons, new characters and even bringing the collectors back. Seriously ME3 multi consumed my life for a long period of time. Such a shame andromeda's was such a step down.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 2 MP and Survival modes were great, alongside a fantastic campaign.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the reverse, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had a fantastic single player story. I bought it on recommendations from the forum and really enjoyed it, and I never touch online multiplayer games, especially stuff like Call of Duty. Disappointing that the people who do play it online, by far the bigger money makers for the series, didn't like the multiplayer in the game and we'll likely not get a sequel.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us and Uncharted both had some of the most addictive multiplayer I've ever played, especially The Last of Us. Can't wait for TLOU2 MP.

Aug 23, 2018
The Last of Us is the best example in my opinion. All of ND's PS3 and PS4 game's are know for their single player campaigns, but the Last of Us was the only one that had a multiplayer mode that (IMO) could stand on its own. I hope it gets included as part of the PS5 version

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
UC2 MP was really fun until they sabotaged it and messed it up in the sequels.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War 1? Sure as shit wasnt the main thing for the game but ended up being amazing (and still the best in the series imo, especially as it hit before everyone went comms reclusive).

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us: The Thread
Uncharted 2's multiplayer was the best part of the game.
Yeah The Last of Us and Mass Effect 3 are poster children for this imo.
Uncharted 2 MP and Survival modes were great, alongside a fantastic campaign.
The Last of Us and Uncharted both had some of the most addictive multiplayer I've ever played, especially The Last of Us. Can't wait for TLOU2 MP.
The Last of Us is the best example in my opinion. All of ND's PS3 and PS4 game's are know for their single player campaigns, but the Last of Us was the only one that had a multiplayer mode that (IMO) could stand on its own. I hope it gets included as part of the PS5 version
Yes, a thousand times yes.

source.gif

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
ME3 multiplayer did in fact have continuous free content and features updates including new maps, new weapons, new characters and even bringing the collectors back. Seriously ME3 multi consumed my life for a long period of time. Such a shame andromeda's was such a step down.

I know, I loved the free dlc as it came out. Was really exciting to see what new characters and abilities would be added. I meant if it had just kept going until now, for some reason (obviously I know why it hasn't). Andromeda's multiplayer really didn't scratch the itch for me that 3's did.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Max Payne 3 multiplayer was great! Jedi Outcast too with its stupidly powerful lightsaber jump move.

Also no one talks about the RDR1 mp anymore but it was so awesome I actually met my first online American friends. I was 20, my English accent was horrible and yet one of the girls in the group of friends told me "don't worry, your English is better than most Texan people in here".

Now they're all "last online : 9 years ago" but I remember them fondly.