• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic. That series seems utterly afraid of doing anything but recycling the Genesis games over and over, particularly Green Hill, Sky Chase and Chemical Plant. And it hasn't been recent either. They've been doing that shit since the Saturn. There's almost no imagination left in that franchise, and it's one of the reasons I became so disillusioned with it in my teenage years.

Twilight Princess is my other pick. Nintendo just said "Ocarina, but BIGGER." And that's exactly what it feels like.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon, Calamity Ganon, Yuga, and Demise were essentially rehashing the same idea.

They're established characters with all too similar roles. It's boring, I'm sure Nintendo of all people can think up a new villains.
And they have? Ganon shows up in a different form constantly. Mario introduces new bosses a lot.

I mean they're not gonna come up with a new main villain every game. Why would they ditch their recognizable characters.

Bowser isn't an SMB1 thing that has just been reused. That's the complete wrong mindset. He's a key part of the whole IP

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna say MGS4, but the more I think about it, it's really a "best of" of the MGS series.

Shadow moses stands out the most, but you've got new and improved raiden, vamp, eva, big boss, eye patch, johnny, all kinds of stuff

Oct 28, 2019
I loved Burial at Sea and the way it tied the game with the earlier entries though. I loved Dark Souls and played a bit of 3 but never went far, should I pick it back up? I love seeing references to earlier entries in games and going "oh shit it's ..."

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is absolutely an example of this and I love that game. But it's mainly because they're appealing to the fanbase, who kisses the ass of DS1 and Miyazaki (as talented as he is) just a bit too much.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont mind when it a little subtle and appears late in the game that otherwise looks unrelated. I replayed Breath of Fire III recently and toward the end of the game you see a mural of the heroes of 1 facing the last boss of the game, in which you find out the God you been seeking is the same final boss. But in the original game she was just a mostly generic evil demon who plans on destroying the world when free, she in 3 is now mostly just hangs out in her space station in the middle of the desert. She still killed off most of the Brood dragons whom she considered a threat, but otherwise tries to help the world by providing them with technology but gating it so things go out of hand like the city below her space station. She still a bad person and you do need to take her down, but a far cry from the generic evil demon from the original.

Even then you still have elements from 2 appearing like evil humans who gained demon forms, as a few were still alive after the villain of 2 was destroyed.

Man, this makes me want to pick up 3 on my Vita. I am replaying 2 now on the Switch VC, and its been a ton of fun.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm gonna need an explanation for pokemon, as I haven't played past the first couple of gens. I assumed they 've been adding another 150+ monsters each entry, and each pokemon added to Smash has been from a different gen.

Is it because each game has rattattatas and pidgits in em, do they go back to Kanto every entry?

Is it because they made that cubey game and the couple of pokemon lites before releasing Sword and Shield?

I shall provide it!

Back in the DS, Gamefreak where actually competent they made this little gem called "Pokemon Black and White", it was an all new Pokemon that featured exactly 0 of the old Pokemon during the main game, once you beat the main story, older Pokemon became accesible throught a new area in the post game.

Fans didn't like that, and they started complaining a lot. The game sold a little bit less than it's predeccesor, but it still did great, and it's sequel "Black and White 2" is considered by many to be one of the best in the franchise.

Buuuuut GF really took the "Where's mah genwun favs!?" criticism to heart.

Enter Gen 6. Pokemon X and Y, in this game your friends give you a new Pokemon to choose, naturally, you think this is your game's starter.
Once you get it you are forced to fight a Pidgey, a Gen 1 Pokemon, then you have to Travel "Santalune Forest" which is a copy paste of Gen 1's Viridian Forest.

hqdefault.jpg

After that you are greeted by the profesor that tells you to get a REAL Starter Pokemon, fuck that new shit, here's Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle again! and this time they have the ability to MEGA EVOLVE, the Pokemon equivalent of going Super Saiyan, your actual first Pokemon is immediately outclassed by the Gen 1 Starters.

Get-a-Kanto-Starter-Pok%C3%A9mon-in-Pok%C3%A9mon-X-and-Y-Step-5.jpg

And Charizard is EXTRA special, as he gets TWO Mega Evolution Forms!
3219021555_1_2_SfS11lmT.png

Oh and Mewtwo is in the game hidden in a cave just like in Gen 1!...And he also gets TWO Power ups!

While it was weird, this Gen gave power ups to many Pokemons from other gens, even if a majority ended up being Gen 1 so maybe i'm thinking too hard about it?

So..that was...a bit much but surely Gen 7 won't be as reactionary right?

Well in this game you are a kid from KANTO! Remember from the first game? and you just moved to Poke Hawaii,Alola, and every kid in town lets you know how cool you are for being born in the sacred land of Gen 1. Why?

Because turns out Kanto Pokemon are SUPER SPECIAL in Alola, they immigrated and got cool new powers!! Enter Alola forms! They are esclusive to Gen 1 Pokemon and are a complete new version of your Gen 1 favorites to make them stronger!

pokemon-sun-moon-marowak-alola-form-2845d.png

f7b28213985f29040c50eb4d170f481fdd1e503b_hq.jpg

Ok so...no other Pokemon got the cool new Power? Only Kanto....aaaaright...Well Maybe Gen 8 will finally do better.

What? There's no gen 8 yet? You're REMAKING Gen 1? FOR THE SECOND TIME?

840_560.jpg

Well...I guess having Gen 1 to replay with all the new Pokemon in it could be a cool trip, let's see what... I'm sorry what? You can only use Gen 1 Pokemon and their Mega and Alola forms in this game? WHY!? YOU CANT EVEN TRANSFER NEW POKEMON INTO THE GAME!?

Jesus Christ...Fuck I guess you really don't want the dirty new Pokemon mixed with the glorious Gen 1 master race huh?

Alright...Gen 8 is here...Maybe we can try to slow down wit the pand-

HEY GUYS ITS GEN 8 AND IN THE POKEMON VERSION OF LONDON THE MOST POPULAR POKEMON ARE FROM KANTO
EMMGGXVVUAEnXrn.jpg

AND THE CHAMPION OF LIKE, THE WORLD HAS A CHARIZARD!
champion-cup-leon-team-3d8aa.jpg

PAY NO MIND AT THE FACT THAT YOU CANT EVEN CATCH A CHARMANDER IN THIS GAME, HE WILL GIVE YOU ONE BECAUSE CHARMANDER IS SO COOL.

IN FACT HE'S SO COOL THAT WE SHOULD GIVE HIM A THIRD SUPER POWERED FORM! HERES GIGA CHARIZARD!
pokemon_gcharizard_2x.png

That's right, this is GigaMAX, totally not mega evolution! And once again, it's almost exclusively for Gen 1 Pokemon!

Oh and Remember Alolan forms? THEYRE BACK! AND THEY'RE MOSTLY GEN 1 JUST HOW YOU LIKE IT! INTRODUCING GALARIAN FORMS

EBXplzqUcAARrJJ.jpg

But thankfully with the new anounced DLC they finally decided to stop giving Gen 1 attention and...

HERES SOME NEW GALARIAN FORMS OF THE LEGENDARY GEN 1 BIRDS

Uno-Dos-Tres.jpg

/ rant.

And this was only the tip of the iceberg. So yes, even if they keep adding new designs each gen, they are doing their damnest to not let them shine at all, and have them be immediately outclassed by Gen 1 Redux

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Forgot to mention Eternal Ring. Key Souls lore is also from there:
www.youtube.com

Eternal Ring | We Review Every PS2 Game, Oh God

Tsukasa Saitoh Interview: http://rocketbaby.net/interviews_saitoh_erac2_1.htmlDiscount Gumshoe Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3HE5olnmo&t=11sWHO SA...
Dark Souls 1 is the remix game, not Dark Souls 3 which is a direct sequel.

MGS is further a remix of Metal Gear 2 so MGS 2 did the same thing for the 3rd time in succession. But you needed to be Japanese to know that back then.
5b3.jpg
10-fantasmas-de-shadow-moses--a-equipe-de-producao-de-metal-gear-solid-incluindo-o-criador-hideo-kojima-pode-ser-encontrado-em-forma-de-espectro-em-varios-lugares-dentro-do-jogo-1378216844380_956x500.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Snake-vs-The-Boss-MGS3-Fight.jpg
Solid-Snake-Metal-Gear-Liquid-Snake.jpg
H2HMGS_01.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

And now think of how MGS V ends and be sad again. Fuck that plot. Franchise assassination.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus is this image real? I haven't played gen 8 but if it is then damn this shit is pathetic. Let the new pokemon shine GF ffs.

Aside from this being Pokemon the thread, I also nominate StarFox for this even though like 90% of the series is pretty much the first game remade again.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon, I think Mario Odyssey did this too a lil too much but it really was a celebration of the series so it might get a pass since that is kinda the point. Dark Souls 3.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

I just recently played this one and DAMN.

image_cover.jpg

"We already established that there's infinite possibilities and infinite realities, but our protagonist will willingly die to make sure THE ONE YOU LIKE from the first game gets to happen just like you liked it, because the one you like is just extra special because it's the one from the first game

Completely agree with Burial at Sea, yeah. It's one thing to have a new game or expansion in the franchise that just seems to fawn over older entries. The issue here is that the plot of Burial at Sea seems to almost actively sabotage the themes and direction of the ending of Infinite's original story. It invalidates the wide scope of Infinite's story just to connect the two stories.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The entirety of the New Super Mario Bros. series. The first game was cool. The Mega Mushroom and Blue Shell power-ups were cool and unique to the series. The bosses, while based on old enemies, were newly designed to be unique. It introduced Dry Bowser, the skeletal form of Bowser after having fallen into lava in the first castle. (You essentially kill Bowser and witness his fate, and that is wild for Mario.)

After that, the series gets very formulaic. The Koopalings are the bosses for 3 games straight. Peach gets kidnapped the exact same way. Each one has its own flight-based power-up. All the worlds are the same in each game. Grass World, Desert World, Beach World, Jungle World, Snow World, Mountain World, Sky World, Lava World. Same shit, different game. I got bored halfway through NSMB Wii because I felt like I played this already.

The game that kisses the most ass is NSMB 2. Remember Raccoon Mario? Shit, I could go on about Mario's 3DS games. Raccoon Tail was everywhere, all because of "New Super Mario Bros. 3D" making the Tanooki Suit the focal point of the game.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I shall provide it!

Back in the DS, Gamefreak where actually competent they made this little gem called "Pokemon Black and White", it was an all new Pokemon that featured exactly 0 of the old Pokemon during the main game, once you beat the main story, older Pokemon became accesible throught a new area in the post game.

Fans didn't like that, and they started complaining a lot. The game sold a little bit less than it's predeccesor, but it still did great, and it's sequel "Black and White 2" is considered by many to be one of the best in the franchise.

Enter Gen 6. Pokemon X and Y, in this game your friends give you a new Pokemon to choose, naturally, you think this is your game's starter.
Once you get it you are forced to fight a Pidgey, a Gen 1 Pokemon, then you have to Travel "Santalune Forest" which is a copy paste of Gen 1's Viridian Forest.

hqdefault.jpg

After that you are greeted by the profesor that tells you to get a REAL Starter Pokemon, fuck that new shit, here's Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle again! and this time they have the ability to MEGA EVOLVE, the Pokemon equivalent of going Super Saiyan, your actual first Pokemon is immediately outclassed by the Gen 1 Starters.

Oh and Mewtwo is in the game hidden in a cave just like in Gen 1!...And he also gets TWO Power ups!

While it was weird, this Gen gave power ups to many Pokemons from other gens, even if a majority ended up being Gen 1 so maybe i'm thinking too hard about it?

Well in this game you are a kid from KANTO! Remember from the first game? and you just moved to Poke Hawaii,Alola, and every kid in town lets you know how cool you are for being born in the sacred land of Gen 1. Why?

Because turns out Kanto Pokemon are SUPER SPECIAL in Alola, they immigrated and got cool new powers!! Enter Alola forms! They are esclusive to Gen 1 Pokemon and are a complete new version of your Gen 1 favorites to make them stronger!

Ok so...no other Pokemon got the cool new Power? Only Kanto....aaaaright...Well Maybe Gen 8 will finally do better.

840_560.jpg

Well...I guess having Gen 1 to replay with all the new Pokemon in it could be a cool trip, let's see what... I'm sorry what? You can only use Gen 1 Pokemon and their Mega and Alola forms in this game? WHY!? YOU CANT EVEN TRANSFER NEW POKEMON INTO THE GAME!?

Jesus Christ...Fuck I guess you really don't want the dirty new Pokemon mixed with the glorious Gen 1 master race huh?

HEY GUYS ITS GEN 8 AND IN THE POKEMON VERSION OF LONDON THE MOST POPULAR POKEMON ARE FROM KANTO
EMMGGXVVUAEnXrn.jpg

PAY NO MIND AT THE FACT THAT YOU CANT EVEN CATCH A CHARMANDER IN THIS GAME, HE WILL GIVE YOU ONE BECAUSE CHARMANDER IS SO COOL.

IN FACT HE'S SO COOL THAT WE SHOULD GIVE HIM A THIRD SUPER POWERED FORM! HERES GIGA CHARIZARD!

That's right, this is GigaMAX, totally not mega evolution! And once again, it's almost exclusively for Gen 1 Pokemon!

Oh and Remember Alolan forms? THEYRE BACK! AND THEY'RE MOSTLY GEN 1 JUST HOW YOU LIKE IT! INTRODUCING GALARIAN FORMS

EBXplzqUcAARrJJ.jpg

But thankfully with the new anounced DLC they finally decided to stop giving Gen 1 attention and...

Uno-Dos-Tres.jpg

/ rant.

And this was only the tip of the iceberg. So yes, even if they keep adding new designs each gen, they are doing their damnest to not let them shine at all, and have them be immediately outclassed by Gen 1 Redux
Not enough for me,there is no cooler pokémon than that trio in 8th gen,the first gen is the best and the my first pokémon was Diamond,about more powerful versions and the stats change,they are just fixing a issue the pokemons of the first gens has with bad stats and abilities compared to later gen's Pokémons with the competitive scenario growth and you can see their stats and abilities is much better and competitive.
But yeah,the padding is big,even if I like.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed, no need to run at all.

I groaned when the second part of the final boss theme played. The OTT reaction some fans had to it will be looked upon somewhat poorly in hindsight IMO. It just screamed of unoriginality.

Still an amazing game but the references to the original got insanely obnoxious.

Nah, I think Soul of Cinder's theme is rightfully considered as fan service done well. I don't disagree that DS3 on the whole leaned too heavily on referencing the first game, but that particular moment packed a real emotional punch (speaking for myself, of course, but I'm sure many other players had similar reactions), whereas stuff like Andre showing up thousands of years later in another kingdom, completely unchanged and contributing nothing of substance, was just ... bleh.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I know games in franchises that not only kiss the ass of its first entry, they also eat its good ol' cornhole

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It doesn't kiss the ass of the first game in the series, but I still think it's relevant:

57da5d45-f342-4423-ab2c-72e638a02f32.png

Mega Man 2-2... I mean Mega Man 9. There's no doubt it's a great game, but it kisses Mega Man 2's ass so goddamn much the game might as well just be a Mega Man 2 circle-jerk. There's not even any doubt about this either because Inafune went on the record multiple times in interviews about the fact that they designed MM9 to echo MM2 as much as possible. It even straight-up reuses some of MM2's music tracks, and the Robot Master designs are meant to evoke the themes of MM2's as well.

I was so glad when Inti was allowed to actually stretch their creative wings and make their own original mark on the series with Mega Man 10. It's ultimately proven to be a lot more memorable than MM9 for that very reason.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No need to run. You're telling the truth.

It's still a great game, but somehow feels a bit... soulless at times. "Hey, remember Dark Souls 1?: The game". And maybe it would make sense to do this if the first Dark Souls came out in like 2005. But they released a game in 2016 that tries to make you nostalgic for a 2011 game.
This to me is definitely the weirdest part. Not only a 2011 game, but one of the most replayable games I've ever played.

I finished Dark Souls 1 for the ???th time a day before Dark Souls 3 came out. Soul of Cinder didn't feel nostalgic, it felt pointless.

I don't mind a lot of the other instances, though, as I feel like it actually adds to the lore with the callbacks, unlike Dark Souls II, which I find a lot more guilty of "remember this thing?".

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the times the things DS3 adds to the lore are kind of needless, but it still adds things. Too many item descriptions in Dark Souls II are only cheeky ways of saying "the characters don't know, but we know that you know it's a DS1 thing, hahaha!!"

DS3 has the more blatant references, so imagine this is part of why it bothers a lot more people, but if you read item descriptions and follow the story in the traditional Souls way, I feel like DS2 is at least equally bad at this.

They're definitely both examples of why From should stick with their "spiritual successor" kind of sequel instead of direct ones.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Does Resident Evil 7 go in here?

I am not sure I understand the premise of the topic other than to crap on games.

Again.

Dark Souls 3 isn't my favourite in the series by any stretch but at the time everybody was fine with it being a sort of love-letter or at least epilogue to the franchise itself.

If we were talking Marvel movies we'd be fawning over every single call-back and fan-servicey bit they can cram in.

Oh, and may the Genwunners forever prosper. Not our fault you can't get over the fact modern Pokemon is something you do not like :D

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda had a lot of problems, but one of my biggest issues was how much it tried to be the first game. I know those fans are incredibly loud, but the constant effort to fill your coffers with too much useless loot, a bunch of nothingness to "explore", and shitty vehicular traversal are all an attempt to return to form, and Andromeda suffered for it.

I'm gonna say the part of Mario/Zelda that has you fighting Bowser/Ganondorf and saving princesses for like 20 games now.

I don't get this. Every series has its tropes, and for two franchises that have repeatedly reinvented themselves and raised the bar...I think I'm okay with the main enemies being the same, in light of all the other merits.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition was so afraid to move out of the shadow of Origins (and its loud fans) that it just ends up being a mediocre game.

So much wasted effort trying to appease people who probably ended up hating it anyway.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Most fighting games are "guilty of this", if not for the 1st games in their series then certainly for the most popular ones.
  • You will see every single SF2 world warrior in every new SF game eventually
  • Mortal Kombat went right back to MK1-3 (though this is justified because everything between 3 and 9 was godawful)
  • MvC3 loved to show how much Capcom remembered MvC2
  • Guilty Gear will always completely ignore anything that wasn't GG1, X, or XX, except for Sin
  • Soul Calibuer V was a bit of a dud so Namco went right back to Soul Calibur 1 and 2 for inspiration
  • Jigglypuff, Ness, and Captain Falcon are never leaving Smash no matter how irrelevant they become
Most of this is entirely justified. People love their characters, and when their characters get cut they get mad. See Street Fighter 3 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite for the worst cases of this, but you'll still see this with significantly smaller cuts. So if you're bring back all of the most popular characters from the most popular games, why not lean into the nostalgia even more?
Mega Man 2-2... I mean Mega Man 9.
I'm OK with this just because it was decent chunk of time between the prior classic MM games and MM9 (and even longer between MM2 and MM9). It's a far cry from Pokemon going from X&Y fawning over Gen 1, to Sun & Moon fawning over Gen 1, to remakes of Gen 1, to SwSh fawning over Gen 1.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH3 felt so much Like KH2 it felt like a game stuck in the past.

No it didn't. None of the KH do this. KH3 felt like a... Kingdom Hearts game.

If KH3 was stuck in the past they would have shoved Hollow Bastion into the game along with all of the other nonsense from KH2 people kept asking for instead of letting the game do it's own thing like it did.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition was so afraid to move out of the shadow of Origins (and its loud fans) that it just ends up being a mediocre game.

So much wasted effort trying to appease people who probably ended up hating it anyway.
Ok, I'm interested. How does Inquisition pander to Origins?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I shall provide it!

hqdefault.jpg

840_560.jpg

EMMGGXVVUAEnXrn.jpg

EBXplzqUcAARrJJ.jpg

Uno-Dos-Tres.jpg

/ rant.

Geeze I didn't notice all the egregious Gen 1 stuff... Granted I skipped X/Y & Sun/Moon so maybe that's why.

I have Black 2 around here somewhere... I guess I should get around to giving it a shot?

The legendary birds look stupid now.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Pokemon and their constant need to remind you that they had exactly one idea 20 years ago.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic, I've had too much Green Hill zone in my life.

I don't mind it when Pokemon does it because early Pokemon is the best.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is probably the most insane example to me because it still clings to old imagery, characters, tradition and plot points even though the gameplay is fundamentally different, so it's just super unsatisfying to older players and newer players alike. At least Dark Souls III probably plays like Dark Souls. At least Twilight Princess was an experience resembling Ocarina of Time etc.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is quite the reach. XIII has blatant homages to VII/is quite obviously inspired by VII but they're incredibly different from one-another overall, in practically every single way.

I can agree to this, XIII or any FF for that matter, never really tries to put their predecessors on pedestals.

It just struck me as a little bit too inspired by VII, so it felt on the nose.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The older pokemon are the ones that made the game famous and are also the most popular, they're naturally going to focus on them a lot. The problem with pokemon is that the games just aren't that good any more not which pokemon they focus on.

Jesus is this image real? I haven't played gen 8 but if it is then damn this shit is pathetic. Let the new pokemon shine GF ffs.

Aside from this being Pokemon the thread, I also nominate StarFox for this even though like 90% of the series is pretty much the first game remade again.

Except they never do a goo job of it. All i want from starfox is a sequel that is true to the original games and despite them mostly trying to remake it they constantly fuck it up in some way. People like to say how the starfox series just panders to fans of the 64 version. As someone who loves the 64 version i haven't enjoyed a single game since.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been mentioned plenty of times, but it bears repeating: Pokémon has been absolutely terrible about this since Gen 6.
The older pokemon are the ones that made the game famous and are also the most popular, they're naturally going to focus on them a lot. The problem with pokemon is that the games just aren't that good any more not which pokemon they focus on.
The Gen 1 pandering gets so bad at times that it actively undermines the new content. It's far from the only problem that Pokémon has right now, but it's definitely on the list.