• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
More than half of the women employed at the London-based video game developer Rocksteady two years ago signed a letter to bosses accusing the studio of failing to prevent sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour in the office, the Guardian can reveal.

The letter, dated November 2018 and signed by 10 of the company's 16 female staff at the time, raised complaints about behaviour including "slurs regarding the transgendered community" and "discussing a woman in a derogatory or sexual manner with other colleagues", and sexual harassment "in the form of unwanted advances, leering at parts of a woman's body, and inappropriate comments in the office".

Since then it is claimed that the response has amounted to one training seminar, and that multiple signatories have left the company owing to the lack of action.

The signatory said the dismissive attitude towards women had in the past carried over into the company's output. "Rocksteady doesn't have the best reputation for representing women," she said, citing the highly sexualised design and costuming of characters such as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in previous games. "Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that's not how women dress."

Rocksteady acknowledged it had received complaints about sexual discrimination and harassment. "From day one at Rocksteady Studios, we set out to create a place where people are looked after, a place fundamentally built on respect and inclusion," a spokesperson said.

"In 2018 we received a letter from some of our female employees expressing concerns they had at that time, and we immediately took firm measures to address the matters that were raised. Over the subsequent two years we have carefully listened to and learned from our employees, working to ensure every person on the team feels supported. In 2020 we are more passionate than ever to continue to develop our inclusive culture, and we are determined to stand up for all of our staff."

Last Thursday, after the Guardian contacted Rocksteady for comment, management called an all-staff meeting where they discussed the letter for the first time. New initiatives were promised to prevent further discrimination, the Guardian understands.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...teady-accused-of-lack-of-action-on-harassment

Edit: And a video that has came out from Kim MacAskill, a former writer at the studio talking about the issues.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
16 women working there - how many workers in total does Rocksteady employ?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Damn. Rocksteady is pretty secretive in the industry (that is already really secretive), so I guess they thought they could just ignore that.

Hopefully something is done.

edit:
16 women working there - how many workers in total does Rocksteady employ?
I believe it's a 200+ people studio.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
All these companies "set out to be a place of respect and inclusion" and then do absolutely nothing besides cover their own ass. When you have so few female co-workers and STILL more than half of them experience some sort verbal or sexual harassment, then maybe no one actually gives a shit.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Only two years later?
When they are about to release news for their new game.

Honestly, as a big Rocksteady fan, FUCK THEM. The only solution is firing people from the top that ignored them and holy shit hire more women, 16 in an universe of 239 people is a joke.

I would have never guessed only 7% of their staff was female based on how they portray female characters.
Also, THIS.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that's not how women dress."

960x0.jpg

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
They're the sucessor to Argonaut Games . The Nintendo leaks showed they had some really offensive internal emails.

It was 25 years ago but looks like they haven't changed.
e.g.
zYjhJkf.png

MX8Wtcb.png

Of course this was a long while ago.
But juniors back then are probably seniors now.
25 years ago, though looks like they didn't improve.

Last edited:

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
So, 16 out of ~180 employees in 2018 were women. I.e. around 9%. It's low, but how far is it from the average? Isn't IT industry traditionally male-dominated?

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
Last Thursday, after the Guardian contacted Rocksteady for comment, management called an all-staff meeting where they discussed the letter for the first time. New initiatives were promised to prevent further discrimination, the Guardian understands.

*sigh* this says it all really. They didn't care until The Guardian picked it up and started making it public

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
All these companies "set out to be a place of respect and inclusion" and then do absolutely nothing besides cover their own ass.

Technically, if everybody just behaved themselves as per company policy at all times, the company wouldn't have to do anything. Proclaiming lofty ideals would cost them nothing and life would be grand!

Rocksteady HR must be so disappointed each time people break the rules. I feel really bad for them. Why can't all employees JUST.BE.NICE and not make more work for them? WHY???

(I assume this is how they think because nothing else makes sense)

Nov 14, 2017
That's not terrible compared to most companies. I remember hearing that Google had two black female software engineers worldwide a few years ago. I think their workforce is still only 4% black overall.

It's kind of amazing when you realise that coding was pioneered by women. It was seen almost as secretarial work, with men working on making the machines.

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
So, 16 out of ~180 employees in 2018 were women. I.e. around 9%. It's low, but how far is it from the average? Isn't IT industry traditionally male-dominated?

The numbers are lower than they should be but even for game developement, 9% is shockingly low:

The researchers found that two-thirds of the UK's game development workforce is 35 or under; 28% are women and 2% non-binary; 10% come from BAME backgrounds; 28% come from somewhere other than the UK; and 21% identify as LGBTQ+
www.theguardian.com

Not so white, male and straight: the video games industry is changing

BAME and LGBTQ+ representation is above the average for the UKā€™s creative industries, while the number of women in the games industry is creeping upwards

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Echoing others, a LOT of the creative decisions for female characters and their dress in the Batman games were just bizarre to me. This clears up why.

16 women out of 239 employees is freaking inexcusable.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Disgraceful. It's always telling when companies and higher ups seemingly grow a conscience right when their mistreatment of workers goes public.

They could've saved themselves all the coming turmoil by showing a modicum of decency over time or actually confronting the problem early on. Too late now.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
IUqMWEf.jpg

Sefton Hill, this is on you. Fuck this shit. WB Games needs to fire his ass and burn the whole top structure to the ground.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rocksteady HR must be so disappointed each time people break the rules. I feel really bad for them. Why can't all employees JUST.BE.NICE and not make more work for them? WHY???
At this point, you wonder why even hire women if you're just going to mistreat them until you view the opposite sex as meat and suddenly you realize that boy clubs are really dens of (male) lions.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
At least in the AAA space, every studio is crunching and will have people being harassed, it's beyond naive to think otherwise at this point.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This news doesn't surprise me in the slightest and I wish I could comment more on that.

Hope change happens, and fast.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing others, a LOT of the creative decisions for female characters and their dress in the Batman games were just bizarre to me. This clears up why.

16 women out of 239 employees is freaking inexcusable.
Having few women working there is one thing, it's not their fault if women -- for some strange and inexplicable reason -- don't want to work there. But that even those handful of women who do work there get harassed is just a sign of how trash this industry is. But I gues it's just a reflection of a large part of the audience as well. All this GamerGate bullshit didn't start a few years ago, it has roots that go back many decades.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
At this point, you wonder why even hire women if you're just going to mistreat them until you view the opposite sex as meat and suddenly you realize that boy clubs are really dens of (male) lions.

For a few, maybe they think meat won't bite back.

A lot of malice is due to a lack of empathy or respect towards those women. Why that is the case baffles me. How can you respect some women but not others? ("My mother and sister are saints, but the rest of them? bla bla bla"). I do not know...

I assume humans are not evolving to be smarter and haven't for some time. I think we've mainly evolved to be taller and fairer in the past couple thousand years.

Those are apparently our priorities as a species.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this came to light because of companies looking into everything while they consider a bid for WB Games. It's a real shame that we aren't even close to having work place equality in the gaming industry. As an outsider it comes off as seedy 1990s Hollywood without the glamour or mirage of cool.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if this came to light because of companies looking into everything while they consider a bid for WB Games. It's a real shame that we aren't even close to having work place equality in the gaming industry. As an outsider it comes off as seedy 1990s Hollywood without the glamour or mirage of cool.

It says in the article why it came to light.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I always find it interesting when I watch the credits on games and how few woman there that actually work on the game. No offence to anyone in the roles but I feel like game companies put woman in HR and non technical roles to bolster the on paper number of woman who work for the companies.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
Why do companies refuse to take action over harassment? If not for the moral reasons, then you'd think they'd at least do something about it to avoid bad press with so many companies having been exposed already but I guess not.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why do companies refuse to take action over harassment? If not for the moral reasons, then you'd think they'd at least do something about it to avoid bad press with so many companies having been exposed already but I guess not.

Because they think nothing is wrong, it's just how things are for them.