• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
As much I hate to say this, since Kiseki is one of my favorite series. Rean (at least in CS/CS2) I've read that he gets a lot better in CS3 so that's good.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Basically any story-orientated and/or dialogue-heavy game featuring a silent protagonist. All games suffer from a blank slate main character who does nothing during cutscenes but stare in a gormless fashion at their infinitely more interesting supporting cast while occasionally nodding their head to show the player they still have a pulse.

Yes, you get your protagonists where the devs attempted to inject them with some personality and yet they still end up being massively bland, like Aloy for instance, but hell... at least they tried! Which is more than you can say for any team that still leans on the outdated and just downright jarring silent protagonist trope in this day and age.

Maybe the only worse candidate than a silent protagonist is the entire cast of Final Fantasy XII with the exception of Balthier.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Chris is at the very least consistently very attractive and one of few male characters with no female love interests

You wanna go bland in RE, Ethan's there. literally the only real character he has is fan theories about him secretly working for old umbrella. He's a faceless panic-quip machine whose wife is a vastly more interesting character.

I personally put Ethan on the same level as Chris, for me Chris is a dull, cow eyed meat head who's so bland they have to re invent his design every game. It's probably not a popular opinion but I probably think Ethan is more enjoyable than Chris for me. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Ethan in RE8.

burnfout

Oct 27, 2017
The guy from the metro games. All of the dialog (espically with your wife Anna) doens't work at all.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally put Ethan on the same level as Chris, for me Chris is a dull, cow eyed meat head who's so bland they have to re invent his design every game. It's probably not a popular opinion but I probably think Ethan is more enjoyable than Chris for me. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Ethan in RE8.
They didn't redesign him for nearly a decade, just modified the RE5 design as he aged. Even in Vendetta, which came out right next to 7, he had an altered 5/6 design. Before 5, he only showed up like twice in the series and looked the same both times. He's had 2 redesigns, and only one was out of necessity for RE engine.

At least Chris HAS designs and isnt a disembodied voice vaguely reacting at events around him

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Have to agree with Aloy. I really like her design and Ashley Burch. The character is just too plain though and she didn't really have depth to be interested.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
To go with a non-silent Protagonist answer:

Cole McGrath from inFamous. He was better in 2, but in 1 he was incredibly bland and boring and seemed like cookie cutter gruff voice bald protagonist.

And for a controversial answer:
Shepard from Mass Effect.

This is probably just me, but I never play a human character in a fantasy/sci fi setting, if it has other races. Shepard is a boring void of a character, and I think Bioware games have taught me I have zero interest in ever playing a character where you can "make" their personality through your actions. Give me a good character with a set personality and write around that.

Shepard being a human who becomes the first Spectre or whatever doesn't appeal to me, and no matter what I tried to do to define my Shepard, I never cared at all about their relationship or interactions with others. I would enjoy characters like Garrus or Legion or Thane, but the moment Shepard had to interact with them, it was like they were talking to a brick wall.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They didn't redesign him for nearly a decade, just modified the RE5 design as he aged. Even in Vendetta, which came out right next to 7, he had an altered 5/6 design. Before 5, he only showed up like twice in the series and looked the same both times. He's had 2 redesigns, and only one was out of necessity for RE engine.

At least Chris HAS designs and isnt a disembodied voice vaguely reacting at events around him

And yet that still has no sway on my opinion to say Ethan is a better character than Chris.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Reinvent his design every game? He looked more or less the same until RE5, then they used that look in RE6, Revelations, and a few other games. His redesign came with RE7... which was on an engine that every character is being redesigned for. As for the opinion that Ethan is more enjoyable than Chris -- woof.

What's your favorite Resident Evil protagonist? You can paint any of them as "bland" if you try hard enough, really. Leon has had the same haircut since the 90s and his story almost always contains elements of him chasing after Ada for the billionth time.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Lara Croft in the recent Tomb Raider games. One moment she's a caring person, next she's murdering people, then you're supposed to feel for her cause she's in so much pain from falling 500 meters down a cave. It's just non sense. I just forget about her and try to enjoy the puzzles and settings. i could have replaced her with Mario and it would have been the same.

OP
OP
The Masked Mufti

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Not sure, it also resembles a "list of some-of-the-greatest-games-ever" thread.

Also not seeing how these "bland" characters drag down the games. Most of these games seem to float these characters just fine.
I think the dragged down part of the thread got lost a couple of posts in. (I still stand by my view that DE:MD was worsened by Jensen though.)

Jan 29, 2018
The protagonist twins in Astral Chain are currently boring me.

I'm surprised at the Aloy comments, I think she's great.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I liked Death Stranding, Sam as a character was such a non-entity compared to everyone else.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's come up a lot in other threads so I am thinking about it but Zack from Crisis Core is this as well; take a decent character idea and then tropify it to the point of no return. He is a bland in a game full of bad and bland characters, which is almost fascinating in and of itself.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I generally dislike 'make your own character' more than a bland one because i don't want to create the player and developers have even more narrative limitations trying to fit it in a plot heavy game.
For example the Avatar in the recent FE was ok until Byleth(?) he/she sucks. It git more and more prominence over others
This blando from RE7.

f95856b02f0d427f956121d4612b9368.jpg
He works on RE7 setting against the Baker family and at least he is not Chris Redfield, imagine playing the campaign as Chris instead 🤢

OP
OP
The Masked Mufti

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
As much as I liked Death Stranding, Sam as a character was such a non-entity compared to everyone else.
Sam had a lot of the same issues that Venom Snake had, which makes me think that Venom being boring was more Kojima than Konami (I've seen people shit on Konami for it).
It's come up a lot in other threads so I am thinking about it but Zack from Crisis Core is this as well; take a decent character idea and then tropify it to the point of no return. He is a bland in a game full of bad and bland characters, which is almost fascinating in and of itself.
I don't think Zack was too bad. I agree he was troped big time; he's essentially every anime protag. The rest of the characters were shit though including Sephiroth. Don't even get me started on Genesis. (I loved Crisis Core and want a remaster/remake)

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
He works on RE7 setting against the Baker family and at least he is not Chris Redfield, imagine playing the campaign as Chris instead 🤢
I didn't want Chris or any other RE superhero as the main protagonist of a game with 7's direction, I'm cool with an average Jim Bob... it's just that Ethan is as bland as they come.
He hardly even reacts when he finds out that Mia is alive and on the helicopter at the end of the game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Sam had a lot of the same issues that Venom Snake had, which makes me think that Venom being boring was more Kojima than Konami (I've seen people shit on Konami for it).

I don't think Zack was too bad. I agree he was troped big time; he's essentially every anime protag. The rest of the characters were shit though including Sephiroth. Don't even get me started on Genesis. (I loved Crisis Core and want a remaster/remake)
I mean, the fact that he is "essentially every anime protag" is what makes him bland, lol. He could literally be anyone. You could play as Naruto in that game and it would make structurally no real difference.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Dragon fucking quest 11. Fake trucks Has the same face no matter the weight of the drama.

OP
OP
The Masked Mufti

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I mean, the fact that he is "essentially every anime protag" is what makes him bland, lol. He could literally be anyone. You could play as Naruto in that game and it would make structurally no real difference.
In my defense, I was around 14 and really into anime when I played it. 😅 (Still I found him to be better than Cloud)

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Basically any story-orientated and/or dialogue-heavy game featuring a silent protagonist. All games suffer from a blank slate main character who does nothing during cutscenes but stare in a gormless fashion at their infinitely more interesting supporting cast while occasionally nodding their head to show the player they still have a pulse.

FFXIV suffers from this so much. It's an MMO so I get that they can't have a fixed protagonist, but they could still do more to let you inject some personality into your character.
gnPgU00l.png

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Horizon Zero Dawn

Middle Earth shadow of Mordor / War. Middle earth is made more digestible because of the growth/decay of the relationship between Talion and Celebrembor, but Talion himself is like cardboard.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Stealth Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE thread. The lead dude is such a boring wet blanket. Should've fully committed to Tsubasa as the lead character

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree that all silent protagonists are bland, in fact I enjoy them in games where they have their place. Link for example, makes sense to me to be silent.

Didn't hate the character, but William was a bland protagonist in the first Nioh. At least you can create your own character now in the sequel.
This is a great example of a bland character when you compare him with the rest of the game.

OP
OP
The Masked Mufti

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
FFXIV suffers from this so much. It's an MMO so I get that they can't have a fixed protagonist, but they could still do more to let you inject some personality into your character.
gnPgU00l.png
This reminds me of Monster Hunter World too much. It's either shocked face or happy face and that's about it.
Horizon Zero Dawn

Middle Earth shadow of Mordor / War. Middle earth is made more digestible because of the growth/decay of the relationship between Talion and Celebrembor, but Talion himself is like cardboard.
Talion is like Thor before Thor 3.