• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
surprised no one mentioned Opoona yet

game launched the same day as Super Mario Galaxy

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Blur and Split second

arcade realistic racers don't exactly have a large fan base, so two of them which are good releasing on the same day completely killed both franchises in one go

Apr 21, 2018
I thought of this too. Despite the two games not releasing on the same consoles, W101 bombed hard and GTAV did not help it at all.

The dumbest part was that the game released months before in every other region except North America. Why Nintendo decided to release it on GTAV day is beyond me. Nintendo of America during the late-Wii and Wii U eras was so mind-numbingly frustrating.

If I remember correctly, August was Pikmin 3's month, and Nintendo was really hurting to stretch their releases out. W101 got September, Wii Party U in October, and 3D World in November. Rough times.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Majora's Mask was overshadowed by the PS2 launch. It's a good thing it's got a lot more love now from people in general today.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I felt Horizon Zero Dawn had a lot of its thunder stolen by Breath of the Wild (released a week later). It certainly rebounded, but can't help but think it was a little overshadowed

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How so? Both did very well.

Propeller Arena for Dreamcast. Was scheduled to comeout about a week after 9/11.

File:Propeller_Arena_cover.jpg[
This game is so much fun, shame it never came out officially.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Titanfall 2 is the big one. Still play it daily, still unrivaled in the thrill of pilot vs titans.

Naruto broken bond came out after naruto ninja storm and all the hype was on ultimate ninja on ps3. They could've had it come out before storm and not 2 weeks after.

Ubisoft did a good job with that game but storm took all the wind out of that sail and they let the IP rights go.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
One that stands out to me because it's a game I always think of an excuse not to play (much like Titanfall 2) is Splinter Cell Blacklist. It came out in 2013 somewhere between Bioshock, Last of Us, GTA V and console launches. I bet I would enjoy it.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about this just this week with the release of Fuser.

It's a fantastic music game by Harmonix, that just so happened to release just as Twitch and YouTube are cracking down on licenced music. No one is willing to stream this game because they're scared of their channel being nuked into oblivion. The worst part is that you really need to see this game in motion to understand how cool it is.

Came into this thread to bring up this and even the fact that it is launching among a hectic double console launch.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
For Alpha protocol, Obsidian ran out of money, and SEGA wouldn't pay for any more QA and bug fixing, but the later still insisted on sitting for it for 6 months, which made it 1. miss the holiday window 2. come out shortly after one of the few other spy series, Splinter cell. and most importantly 3. Come out a couple months after Mass Effect 2.

While it still would have been niche at best, and probably not have reviewed that well, Hitting all 3 of those factors definitely was the last nail in the coffin

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I can't believe people here still trying to make Horizon vs BotW thing happen.

Horizon went on to be an over 10 million seller and was runner up for the most GOTY awards. There are much better examples for this topic.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Granblue Versus's momentum has been heavily shaken by COVID, the weak quality of netplay and no locals has dampened a lot of interest from people I've met

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Tales of Graces Wii came in Japan the week before FF XIII (not to mention with a lot of serious bugs that were never fixed)

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't help but think of all of those games that shifted release dates to get out of the way of Cyberpunk, only for CDPR to keep moving it.

Oct 25, 2017
Already mentioned, but this is literally Titanfall 2 the thread. A first person shooter sandwiched right in between the two biggest games in the genre, Call of Duty and Battlefield, a week before and a week after. The fact that EA published Battlefield and Titanfall 2 a week apart is just inexcusable.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Ubisoft delayed Watchdog for Wii U for months, and released it two days before Super Smash Bros 4 . What were they thinking? But it's good that they still manage to fulfilled their promise.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
The titanfall 2 thing always seemed like really awful timing for them, and it sucked it went down like that, I've only recently gotten into titanfall 2 in the last month but I've had a blast with multiplayer, I'm actually sad that we'll probably never get titanfall 3 or at least be waiting a long ass time for it because of titanfall 2 being screwed by it's release date.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakuna launching on like next gen launch day doesn't seem to have helped it. It has had a solid showing in the global steam sellers top 10, but I I bet it would be doing even better if it had released even a couple weeks earlier or later.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
The immediate ones that came to my mind, I don't think have been mentioned yet. The impact was so detrimental too, much more than Titanfall 2 was for Respawn IMO.

May 2010 in the space of 2 weeks we have Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake and Mario Galaxy 2 released. Arcade racers are already seeing a downward trend in sales and then 3 go and release in that same period: Split/Second, Blur & Modnation Racers.

3 really good games that could have performed so much better if they had been released in a quieter market. Sequels should have been assured. The developers could still be here now. 😞

edit: actually just seen Blur & Split Second were mentioned.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
Titanfall 2, Shadow Hearts, Metal Gear Solid 3 (But that can also be the disappointed response of MGS2 by the majority at the time.)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like this used to happen a lot more when every major franchise crammed into November, but now we get more bigger releases earlier in the year.

Oblonsky307

Nov 30, 2017
Gears Tactics for me. I remember looking forward to the game then Xcom: Chimera Squad was announced and released within a week for just £8 and really took any attention away from it. Then to make things even worse the console port has been lost in all the next gen hype.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I gotta say the situation around Cyberpunk is ridiculous, they keep moving the release date and everybody keeps moving their games away because of it.

Not having The Medium this December really sucks.

Not entirely on topic but I wanted to get that off my chest.

Sep 7, 2020
Battleborn has gotta be up there for sure. I remember the "Come at me bro" tweet from Gearbox and it got absolutely steamrolled by Overwatch. I bought both games and although I generally enjoyed Overwatch more, there were some interesting components to Battleborn. The game was just not going to do well going into the juggernaut that is Blizzard games.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Motorstorm Apocalypse was a biblically poor timing of release dates, as it was meant to be released in March 2011, but then the Japan Tohoku earthquake happened, which led to them delaying the game due to the events of the game taking place during an earthquake, which sony may have deemed insensitive. The game released 2 months later to little fanfare, and being outright not sold at all in Japan.

Shame too as it was a looot of fun, sure the story is a bit corny but it had a lot of charm, and it was a goddamn technical masterpiece on the PS3.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I want to say Titanfall 2 but maybe not because so many people I know quit the game real fast. The skill ceiling on mobility being so high discouraged them and doesn't help the game has like no matchmaking.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I remember when it released on the same day as Fallout 4 and barely anyone talked about it. It's a really good game, too.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
apparently Cr4sh B4ndicoot since it's the first proper sequel in decades, but it came out just before next-gen with no upgrade path which meant no one bought it

This was great because we got the crossover fanart
Why does an upgrade path matter, you can still play regardless.

Brink released while PSN was down for a few weeks in 2011. :(

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
I've got to echo the folks saying Titanfall 2. Stuck in between Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare in a stacked holiday season.

Speaking of echoes... wasn't Metroid Prime 2: Echoes a victim of a stacked holiday season too? DMC3, MGS3, San Andreas, Halo 2, and so much more. Though being on the GameCube didn't do the sales numbers any favors.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Motorstorm Apocalypse release date was posposed after the earthquake that led to the Fukushima incident?