• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The always great Gamersyde is starting to post their footage from Day 1 of Gamescom, beginning with Battletoads.

Our first day at Gamescom was pretty busy with appointments but a bit disappointing in terms of video capture. We weren't allowed to record a lot of games but we still have a few things to share. We'll start with Battletoads which was playable in 4K on Microsoft's booth and we brought you back some footage.

Official site for highest quality:

Youtube mirror:

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Still mostly like how it looks in theory but I also definitely stand by my opinion that the characters don't stand out from the background enough, which is bad in a brawler sort of game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst the animation on the characters at times is interesting. Man, is the gameplay slow. Like, it's really really slow. Feels like it's moving at a snails pace trawling through molasses.

Also, this really needs actual voice acting, and it needs to be as extremely cheesy as possible, revel in that 80s-90s cheese. Those text-boxes aren't doing anything in the games favors.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Did they even play the older games? Gameplay was so fast and this looks as slow as stop motion levels.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The animation on it's own is really smooth, and full of personality. Even getting up from the ground is filled with extra personality.

The hit detection at points looks spotty. Once you're locked, the combos rock, but before that, is looks like they might be swinging at air.

This could definitely have to do with the enemies "settling in" to the scene, before getting beat. We'll see.

I love how big and detailed they let the blows be. No tiny attack boxes or limited sprite styles for this. They take up huge space. But at the same time, I'm not sure this matches with the hits. I turn my toad into a huge train, but do I have a train's attack box?

I don't mind the slow speed. Not sure it's a must here (not like players like this can take the full movesets to task on a show floor), but this is definitely an "Animator's Showcase" game right now, rather than a "super snappy, gameplay is king" experience, so far. I don't hate that, as you rarely get to see the former.

Still looking forward to seeing more. Can't really tell the true balance of a game like this by a single 1st stage play.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the design fundamentally misunderstands the beat 'em up genre. They literally just walked 3 screens.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Art aside, this seems to miss what I love about Battletoads. It wasn't really a beat-em-up! Some levels were but there were so many other gimmicks. Vehicles, pure platforming, races, all sorts of neat stuff.

Talking about the NES version. Never played the others.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the music, and the art doesn't bother me, but the combat looks way too slow imo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's looking surprisingly good with lots of frames of animation. I could do without the tutorial hint near the boss, which is a little patronizing, but other than that, I like it. I hope you traverse longer distances between encounters at points in the game, so it doesn't become too static.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, it looks great and the moves are really cool, but yes, the game seems really slow but that can (and I hope it will) be fixed.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give it a go through GamePass but this doesn't look how I hoped for a much awaited return of a classic series.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the art-style, but I think they need to increase the speed.

Original Battletoads games were fast... damn fast.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Errrr..great animation, but the rest looks awful. It is slow, as others have mentioned, but I kept losing where the characters were, and even getting the right "lane" seemed difficult for the player.

Hard pass from me.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I remember getting smacked by those hogs in Battletoads in Battlemaniacs in 2 seconds. This looks slow, probably to make it more accessible.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The animation is tight and expressive, but man that gameplay is slow.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA IV had vehicle handling remarkably different than GTA V, and yet they both felt great to play. If the gameplay here is slower than the original, why not wait until you play THIS Battletoads before you shit on it?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The art style and animations are gorgeous, but as people are saying, they completely missed the boat on the pace of the original game's gameplay. Maybe it'll feel differently while playing, but as of now, it doesn't look very much to play. I hope I'm wrong.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
It does look pretty slow but the craft is clearly there. Perhaps playing it will make you perceive it differently.

I love the animation and colour palette.

The toads have more defined individuality now. I think this could be a damn fun co-op experience.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Presentation side is incredible, but the game does look super slow and dull. Might not be an issue when youre actually playing but it doesnt make for a fun watch

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The artstyle doesn't bother me as much, but that gameplay is looking basic. Microsoft needs to call up The Behemoth. Castle Crashers was a hit on Xbox 360, this has a similar aesthetic and I feel like they could work the kinks out of the gameplay here.

It just dawned on me that this is likely to land on the Switch eventually.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Music is so 90s (I like it!). Agree that the combat looks slow and quite repetitive.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I wish there was a demo for this game.

If does play slow, I hope there's options to change that or that it isn't too late to respond to feedback.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a pretty bland beat em up.

The OG battletoads was great because it introduced a lot of fun and interesting mechanics throughout the game.

This doesnt appear to be doing that at all.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
GTA IV had vehicle handling remarkably different than GTA V, and yet they both felt great to play. If the gameplay here is slower than the original, why not wait until you play THIS Battletoads before you shit on it?

I think you are over reacting. Outside of a couple of drive by's (which have already resulted in warnings) most people are pretty level headed in this thread. People are just making observations based on what we've seen, not dismissing the game completely.

It's also pretty reasonable to go into a reboot/sequel with certain expectations. That's inevitable, and totally normal.

The art style has grown on me since the initial reveal, but I'm concerned it won't capture what I loved about the original. But, this is just a tutorial so I'm not making any sweeping judgements about the game as a whole.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Art aside, this seems to miss what I love about Battletoads. It wasn't really a beat-em-up! Some levels were but there were so many other gimmicks. Vehicles, pure platforming, races, all sorts of neat stuff.

Talking about the NES version. Never played the others.
The E3 montage trailer showed other gameplay like racing, so I think we'll see some of that.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like the look of it. Love the animation. But the speed of the gameplay. The speed of the walking. The speed of combat. The constant attacking of air. I think they should push back the game and fix those things.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the animation looks way better now that I'm not seeing it in super short clips. The gameplay seems slow but I expect you're supposed to rely on mechanics like the dash and tongue grab to make up for the walking speed. I'm excited for it!

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
that's good work.

but that needs to be like 2x or 3x the speed. it looks very dry at these slow speeds.

Yeah, I'd prefers my brawler a bit speedier than that.

Good thing is that there's lots of people getting their hands on the game now, and it doesn't have a release date yet, so with some luck there'll be time to make adjustments.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The same E3 demo it seems. I'm still looking to see something that offers more gameplay variety like the original Battletoads and less just a mere brawler.

I like the visuals though and dig the remix of the Battlemaniacs tune.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Music is fantastic, but man is the gameplay so slow and boring that it's unbearable. Enemies in Battletoads aren't meant to be like late game Streets of Rage sponges, the point was they hit like a truck and overwhelmed you with numbers so you had to manage encounters to try and get as many quick kills (via the "crazy" limb morph attacks) as possible. This is just basically "look at all the wacky animations we made" currently, the gameplay isn't Battletoads.

To be honest I'm not even that impressed by the visuals (character animations aside), there is little to no motion in the background or anything in the way of effects going on (the static puddle in the boss fight...), it looks sterile.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Looks great but visually the hit detection looks weird. Hard to say without hands on a controller. Looks hard to gauge when the enemy is on the same horizontal plane as you.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Looks really good but the video is kinda meh probably because the people playing the game are doing it for the first time and dont exactly know what they are doing .... atleast i hope so.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the animation looks way better now that I'm not seeing it in super short clips. The gameplay seems slow but I expect you're supposed to rely on mechanics like the dash and tongue grab to make up for the walking speed. I'm excited for it!
Yup, the players in the video didn't do it justice.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After watching a few minutes of it. The animation grew on me, I didn't like when I first saw it, but it looks pretty damn good. However, I can see how it may not appeal to others. The game in some sections feels a bit slow. I changed the speed of the video to 1.25 and it felt ok in most areas, some it felt a bit too fast (at 1.25). So a balance in between 1.0 and 1.25 would be perfect.

Looking forward to checking it out when it drops on GamePass.