• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Video essays yes. Steamers not so much. I might watch a let's play or something to see if a game might be for me, but besides that, watching someone else play a video game has always been the most boring thing to me. When I do watch a let's play I generally skip around and watch a few minutes here and there until I get some impression of the game. The biggest problem is having to find a YouTuber/streamer that isn't annoying.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 39 and I normally don't watch game streaming. I only watch some Jeff Gerstman playing some old games or Giant Bomb Extra Lives streaming but that's it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I have no idea about them, I don't know them. Hell im not even sure how watching someone play is fun at all, not to mention this thing got so popular that these people get paid athlete money. I'm 39.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I always go "WHO???" when I see one of those scandal threads. I don't see the appeal of those Let's play videos. I do watch certain tech reviewers though and know who to avoid.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The only lets plays I watch are World of Warships battles to actually learn the strengths and weaknesses of particular ships. Otherwise no. I don't give a fuck.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing video games since I was a kid-on the Atari 2600. Gaming has been a big part of my life and been a major hobby. Now I'm 42 and I still play games but I feel like the "gaming culture" is something I'm not connected with nor do I have any remote interest in engaging with. Like I see so many people here get so excited to learn about some random person's opinion on a game-just because they happen to have a streaming channel and to me it's like if I was looking at a three headed alien for the first time.

Is it our generation I wonder or just me? None of my older friends my age that game don't give a shit about any of this either.

100 per cent with you.

The last time I paid any attention to online reviews was when Zero Punctuation was new.

I'm not really super connected to gaming at all anymore, though I have my niche interests. Mainstream gaming drifted away from me in the 00s.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I'm 38 and no, I don't care about them and honestly wouldn't recognize them...I've just never paid attention. Honestly resetera is about as deep as I go into the games community....

Nov 9, 2017
I'm 43 and there is 1 - just one - that I follow because of his Ninja Gaiden content (mostly cause I've been following his YouTube channel for years now).....but outside of that - couldn't give a fuck at all. My 16 year old watches a lot of stuff though, so I pay attention to what he is consuming content wise.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
32 and could not care less. I do love a good analysis/essay, but watching a streamer play a game does not seem like a good use of my time.

Oldmanyellsatcloud.gif

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
34 and don't give a shit unless I see its one of my friends streaming on twitch.

Interesting though, I had a convo with my younger bro a few days ago on this and his stance is he only cares about games that have 10k+ viewers on twitch. Those are that games that will interest him.. To that I say WTF... 😬

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 31 but I don't really care. I like Easy Allies but only the podcasts. I did watch some Mario Maker 2 streams for a bit when that game came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I'm 45 and couldn't care less about streamers/personalities. I'll watch the occasional R6 tourney match, but that's about it. I'd generally rather be playing games vs. watching others play them.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
43 and zero interest. Nil. I game a lot and I'm involved in a gaming podcast, but I don't even listen to other podcasts. Youtubers and streamers might as well not exist for all I care.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
What I've learned from this thread so far.

I'm old and enjoy watching streamers for niche PC games, and apparently there's something abnormal about that.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm way below 40 but I think there are YouTube channels specifically tailored to people in this age demographic. Like, the main viewers of My Life in Gaming seem to be dudes over 30 who are into retro platforms and have a good amount of disposable income to blow on getting the best video quality for their retro platforms.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I stream when its FGC playing a game I like but I literally zone out of watching others play games even with big personalities and the whole "If I say something loud - its funny!" thing never appealed to me.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Over 40, I watch a few reaction youtubers, generally on shows I've watch and cared for.

Picked up watching a little of Max Dood and Briana White with their FF7R videos, but that's about it.

If Giant Bomb counts as "Streamers", then them, too.

Otherwise, nope, I have no clue on most of these popular streamers are.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

love giant bomb
watch a lot of twtich

love hasanabi

and a lot of just chatting twitch

you're missing out if you don't watch some of these just chatting streamers

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just recently started watching Gopher. Really good guy who takes the time to learn and explore games he plays. Also has a higher threshold of patience than me so that helps.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
27, nah. I used to like to watch other people play games, like my brother, when I was younger, but now I just get super bored for some reason. I'd much rather play the game I'm watching. Sometimes I watch YouTube vids if they're giving information like Digital foundry and such, but just playing? Nope.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
My only game streaming watching has been some speedruns (Dark Souls mainly). I don't get it. I don't really get esports either, but then again, I don't care about regular sports either, so, meh.

I can't see watching hours of other people play video games. My kids are teens and I don't think they watch streamers either even though they play a lot of games. They don't really play online games though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Hmmm. I am 43 and been gaming since the damn Commodore 64 (ok I was super young at the time but I DID play it!), and I do not care about Streamers in general including games.
I listen to some podcasts, have YT Premium and subscribe to lots of gaming things but I don't follow "people" much? Tim Rogers is one of the only ones I love enough to follow anywhere but honestly I'm not sure if he streams. I watch his videos after he posts them lol.

Anyways, I'm into it just a little. I am not against it at all, I've just not been motivated to seek out specific game streamers. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing lol.

Are there any mature gaming streamers out there who are worth watching? RPG are also my fave genre and I'm guessing they may not be popular for streaming.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I'm close to the 30 age mark and I couldn't be any less interested in gaming streamers or Twitch. Personally, I find them extremely boring to watch but that's not to say I don't respect people who follow them.

I find playing games a whole lot more enjoyable than watching some random person playing it.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I'm 41. Watched GrandPooBear for awhile last year, and ryukhar this year at work a lot, mostly Mario Maker stuff. I can't really stand many others.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Not in my 40s yet and I don't give a crap about streamers and let's plays.
I only watch analysis, news and the occasional review or spoof. Why should I watch someone else play? Because of the social aspect being able to participate in the cancer that is twitch chat?
I can understand watching people play high level MP games, but single player? Nah bruh

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm 45 and I like some YouTubers, mostly as background on my second screen while gaming. Streamers are just utterly baffling for me... I can't stand the navel-gazing soap opera stuff with other streamers, super chat interruptions or them suddenly engaging with chat comments I'm not looking at. It's just word salad to me... but that's probably an age thing.

Also giving side-eye to these platforms of gaming culture fostering extremism, bigotry and anti-intellectualism with no filters or pushback.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Early 40s here and the only person I watch on Youtube is Jeremy Parish.

Sometime I will watch twitch streams for a couple minutes when I am taking a short break from work. The Sphere Hunter is the only one I really go out of my way to watch if she is on.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am 35 this year so a bit off, but I absolutely do not.
The only time I will spend time watching others play games is in the case of tournaments with highly skilled players. (EVO, Combo Breaker, tougeki, etc.)

I would almost always rather put that time into playing something in my backlog.