• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I have this case but had not experienced any problems. I did receive the nylon screws this week. Thanks for reminding me to replace the screws. I just did it. However, upon watching that video, it seems indeed that this does not entirely fix the problem, since it is due to a faulty rizer cable (maybe they will send out a new cable too?) I am just happy that no fire started, I have basically spent like ten grand on buying a new entertainment station (TV, soundbar, PC, console, furniture etc.)
It doesn't solve the problem, but it eliminates it for the people who use the fix.

When you swapped the screws, did you notice the PCB residue left over and on the screws?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Fond memories of the time my iBook power cable burst into flames next to my hands while I was typing.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I have this case but had not experienced any problems. I did receive the nylon screws this week. Thanks for reminding me to replace the screws. I just did it. However, upon watching that video, it seems indeed that this does not entirely fix the problem, since it is due to a faulty rizer cable (maybe they will send out a new cable too?) I am just happy that no fire started, I have basically spent like ten grand on buying a new entertainment station (TV, soundbar, PC, console, furniture etc.)
Well, the faulty piece is the riser, but the plastic screws should solve it. So you should be safe. Anything that stops any continuity between the riser and the case will work, and the new screws do that. Thing is, that before this people thought it was going to be fine with just some washers.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So there wasn't anything like a mass recall for these cases? NZXT just hopes people who are not having problems are not going to adjust screws in the future?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This seems like capitalizing on a serious but misleading scenario that shouldn't be surprising considering the speculative fiction that was their PS5 thermal video.

GN has lost all credibility and objectivity to me personally.
There's nothing wrong with this video. They investigate an issue to see what caused it. Yes it's already "fixed" with new units, but does that mean that they shouldn't investigate what the root of the issue is and why the fires start? Why?

Do you know what this sounds like to me based on your post? GN has "lost all credibility to you" because they said that the PS5 overheats. You seem to bring that up for no reason when it's completely unrelated after all lol

1338836210153_2034061.png

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked again, nope nothing.
Yours might not have been as bad then. When I yanked mine out, there was dust all over the place.
So there wasn't anything like a mass recall for these cases? NZXT just hopes people who are not having problems are not going to adjust screws in the future?
While they should send users a new cable and have them send back or dispose of the old one, they're only sending replacement screws.

All of this could've been avoided if, at the very least, they used different sized screws since those things were probably too big for the screw holes.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Screws are basically eating up the board. If you have reason to remove those screws doing upgrades the risk just increases over time. I'll have to finish watching the other half of this when I get home from work.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at an NZXT case for a future upgrade but good lord that's definetly out of the question now. I don't understand why they didn't replace the cables. This seems like a massive liability issue. Sure you might not have too many cases right now but what happens when people start upgrading their system in the future. It's basically a ticking time bomb.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I use NZXT for the two gaming PCs in my house currently (not the H1, thankfully). This horrible design and even worse response from the company guarantees I won't ever use one of their cases again.

What a horrible reaction on their part.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Steve's points are super solid. Sure, the riser can't catch fire with the nylon screw. But so what?

If you buy this case today, it'll come with a nylon screw, yes. But the average consumer, who isn't aware of this issue, may, for whatever reason, replace that screw with a metal screw at some point. And that means potential fire, and potential death.

A device that has the potential of catching fire simply by replacing the included screw should not be sold to consumers. And we aren't even talking about an internal screw inside a device that you're not "supposed" to take apart. This is a computer part that you're very much supposed to take apart.

The only acceptable end result here involves NZXT recalling and disposing of every single one of these PCIe risers, and replacing them with brand new ones without this fatal flaw.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It seems nuts to me that the screw just digs into the PCB like that, and that the copper plane is so easily breached.
(I believe it's mentioned in the second video that there's typically a 1mm buffer between the mounting positions and the actual powered plane on PCBs)
Even the most discount of riser cables have plated screw mounts and threading.

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Great follow up and really shows why it was necessary for them to investigate this.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The timing and testing methodology is in question by Ars and others as discussed. The testing methodology in videos as recent as the PS5 RAM thermal pad-gate are at best misleading at worst, completely dishonest and fabricated.

I've followed GN for years but I don't think it's a reach to point out the lack of objectivity in some of their recent material.
can you link me to anything about the ps5 ram situation?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 340 case which I like, but that's such a weird mistake to make that it's hard not to lose respect for the company.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They really should of recalled those riser cables altogether. Those replacement screws are such a dumb "fix".

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I was so close to buying this case. Glad I avoided this literal trash fire

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the case that houses my 3070

Feels good......

I did receive the replacement screws but still need to install them

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it sounds like I really need to replace the PCIe riser? How difficult is that to do? Ease of assembly was the main reason I bought the case.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
But it sounds like I really need to replace the PCIe riser? How difficult is that to do? Ease of assembly was the main reason I bought the case.
It's simple as shit. Unscrew four screws, pull old riser out, slot new riser in the same way you pulled the first one out, drop in the screws.

The hard part is finding an aftermarket riser that's the same length. Everything in the case is purpose built for the layout.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's super easy, just remove the one that comes with the case and put the new one lol

You could take this opportunity to ugprade to a PCIe Gen 4 riser while you're at it

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's simple as shit. Unscrew four screws, pull old riser out, slot new riser in the same way you pulled the first one out, drop in the screws.

The hard part is finding an aftermarket riser that's the same length. Everything in the case is purpose built for the layout.
It's super easy, just remove the one that comes with the case and put the new one lol

You could take this opportunity to ugprade to a PCIe Gen 4 riser while you're at it

Thanks. I was looking a this one. Seemed to work for others based on the reviews

linkup.one

28cm - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable Extreme - 270 Degree Socket

New 2020 PCIe 4.0 revision. No BSOD, or WUE / WHEA Error free. More headroom works for overclocked CPUs and GPUs. LINKUP Riser Cables feature technology used in the construction of OCuLink, 8639 U.2, and SAS cables that are tested to reach speeds of 160GB/s for the sum of all x16 channels...

This is the last product I will ever buy from NZXT. Their response to this has been terrible and it took a month to receive my replacement screws.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019

A Message From NZXT's CEO Regarding the H1 Safety Issue

Love your gaming PC | We meticulously design a curated suite of premium products to make extraordinary gaming experiences achievable and fun.

update
they're going to send a new riser after all which they should have done in the first place
Good, should of did this the whole time instead of just sending screws that don't completely solve the whole issue and will probably take some people as long as it has been for them to receive the screws to even see a new riser (so forever).

Wonder if anything else would of happened if Steve didn't push the issue forward, they did say they have been working on a recall since November but who knows if they would of just stopped at the Screws if the issue didn't get pushed.

This seems like capitalizing on a serious but misleading scenario that shouldn't be surprising considering the speculative fiction that was their PS5 thermal video.

Are you going to come back and explain how this very serious issue was a misleading scenario or explain how they lost all credibility or objectivity? Lol

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Now that absolutely everything that Gamers Nexus said about this issue has been proven to be true, could you elaborate on this take?

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
NZXT can continue to fuck off. Overpriced trash AIO, shitty software, trash airflow in cases.