• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Gamers Nexus shows how dangerous NZXT's H1 case, commonly used in their pre-built systems, can be due to conductive screws.

If you have this case, you should definitely give it a watch. Just...do it on a different computer or watch it on your phone. Then replace the screws.

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that NZXT has already issued replacement parts needed to customers to prevent the electrical fire and fixed the issue/put the case back up for sale with the adjustment made.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I almost brought this computer earlier this year

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bah, I was writing up that video for a thread. I'll post my proposed OP here, since I went out and sourced links & citations.
At the tail end of last month, NZXT issued a recall on their H1 case/power supply combos, saying there was a risk that the PCIe riser cable had an electrical short that was a potential fire hazard. Gamers Nexus bought a case from one of their Patreon backers, and set about trying to reproduce this issue. They succeeded.

So yeah, NZXT is providing free nylon replacement screws which should radically reduce the chance of a fire, but I would agree with Steve's conclusion that replacing the PCIe riser entirely is preferable (especially considering there has been issues with Gen 3 riser cables not knowing what to do with a Gen 4 GPU). Annoyingly, PCIe gen 4 riser cables appears to be more than twice the price than their gen 3 counterparts. But yeah, $30 seems to be the going rate for a replacement gen 3 riser cable, with gen 4 being rarer and closer to $70.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I would advise anyone with this case to get a replacement PCIe riser, and choose a Gen 4 one while you're at it. Two birds with one stone

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
My Fractal Design MESHIFY C is fine though, right? Is this the only case that has this problem?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
They make ehhhhhh cases. And cam software. Shit is trash.

My last build had an NZXT case and I hated that thing. I ended up giving it to a buddy and bought a nice tempered glass Corsair one. That soured me on their products and this news doesn't help.

Aug 30, 2020
Guaranteed I'll never buy a NZXT product and recommend all my friends never do if a fault of this severity is introduced into something that simple.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
This issue was already fixed I think a month or two ago? Not 100% sure when it was fixed, but this is one of the cases I'm considering for my next PC build, and I did hear about this issue.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
This was known a few months ago though and he reported on this I believe. Is this a new video ? I also believe this was happening on the initial boot from a bunch of Reddit post when this became a thing.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
This was known a few months ago though and he reported on this I believe. Is this a new video ? I also believe this was happening on the initial boot from a bunch of Reddit post when this became a thing.
Yeah, it's a new video. He explicitly mentions at multiple points that they set the investigation aside for a few weeks before getting everything sorted out.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think they rated the Fractal R6 I have as "not bad" to "pretty decent", which is high praise from Gamer's Nexus.. lol. I've had two Fractal cases in a row, they've both been quite good. And definitely no fires.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was the new policy NZXT implemented a month or more ago with new H1 shipments, no?
Unless I am wrong, all they did was replace the metal screws with plastic ones, but according to the video, that doesn't fix the underlying issue which is the faulty PCIE riser. If NZXT fixed the riser, I would like to know.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
H500 is fine. In fact I actually got one for my build because of the Gamers Nexus video on it

But the H510 for some weird reason has way worse thermal performance than the H500

According to who? The H510 Elite has terrible thermals because it's encased in glass. The H510 regular is basically identical to the H500.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
They already put out a recall a while back and GN covered that then too. So obviously OP wouldn't mention that.

This seems like capitalizing on a serious but misleading scenario that shouldn't be surprising considering the speculative fiction that was their PS5 thermal video.

GN has lost all credibility and objectivity to me personally.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
They already put out a recall a while back and GN covered that then too. So obviously OP wouldn't mention that.
GN claims the problem lies with the PCIE riser while the recall only deals with changing the metal screws to plastics. And, GN noted in the video that's not enough and recommended people replace the riser.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The screw holes in the riser PCB, unlike any circuit board meant to be held down with screws I've ever seen in my life, are bare. Instead of having some sort of protection or reinforcement, it literally looks like they power drilled their way through the board.

When I took my screws out of the case, there were flecks of dust and such in the hole and on the screws themselves. I honestly think when they manufactured these things, instead of designing a board with proper mounting, they created something that was going to be secured without screws, realized that their final case design didn't have such a thing, and just opted to punch holes in areas that wouldn't cause the final product to not function, not recognizing or maybe even ignoring the potential for shorts or fires.

Months later, I'm still waiting on my kit from NZXT, but I replaced the screws with zip ties a couple of days after this story first broke.

GN claims the problem lies with the PCIE riser while the recall only deals with changing the metal screws to plastics. And, GN noted in the video that's not enough and recommended people replace the riser.
You only need to replace the riser if you're forgetful or trying to resell the whole package, otherwise non-metal screws or zip ties would suffice.

Anyone in the market for a new GPU with these things should be looking to replace the riser anyway given that these are PCIE Gen 3 risers and not Gen 4.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like capitalizing on a serious but misleading scenario that shouldn't be surprising considering the speculative fiction that was their PS5 thermal video.

Capitalizing? They've been trying to do this story since it first broke but cases were pulled and it wasn't easy to get an actual product months ago. They state in the video that the only reason why they got one for this video is because someone donated it for this video. And anyone with this case trying to get rid of it aren't going to get rid of it without getting a replacement.

And SFF PC cases aren't plentiful to begin with, which is why everyone (myself included) flocked to the H1. It was literally the only mass market SFFPC case at the time.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
According to who? The H510 Elite has terrible thermals because it's encased in glass. The H510 regular is basically identical to the H500.
oops sorry i got the model numbers mixed up.

What i mean is the one with the front glass panel = bad, and the one with the metal front = good

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Misleading scenario? Have the fires not happened?

The point of the video and testing was to determine the exact cause, and fact checking NZXT.

This was a great bit of content that took a massive amount of effort. The PS5 video was really poor, but THIS is what we expect from Gamers Nexus.

Oct 29, 2017
Cooler Master probably felt pretty lucky that they launched the NR200 at the same time that the faulty aspects of the H1 were picked up by the media. Perfect storm, and whatnot.

Aug 30, 2020

Yeah sorry not buying products from a company that has a case that catches on fire. That's a next-level fuck up. Buying from them is playing with your components, if not your life.

Are you for real? mofos make a case that catches fire and here comes the world's worst case manufacturer defense force.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry not buying products from a company that has a case that catches on fire. That's a next-level fuck up. Buying from them is playing with your components, if not your life.

Are you for real? mofos make a case that catches fire and here comes the world's worst case manufacturer defense force.

The timing and testing methodology is in question by Ars and others as discussed. The testing methodology in videos as recent as the PS5 RAM thermal pad-gate are at best misleading at worst, completely dishonest and fabricated.

I've followed GN for years but I don't think it's a reach to point out the lack of objectivity in some of their recent material.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'm skeptical of buying anything from this company now.

I currently own the widely popular H500 and even then the back panels were so fucking hard to remove for no reason.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly would never trust this case. I don't care what fix they put out, not worth the anxiety.
If you watch the video it explains why it happened and why they issues the fix, I have 2 of these and replaced the screws listed, I have 0 anxiety for what was already a rare issue. That being said, should NOT have launched with an issue like that even if it only effected less than 10 people, right now I would just recommend the NR200P to people.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
The timing and testing methodology is in question by Ars and others as discussed. The testing methodology in videos as recent as the PS5 RAM thermal pad-gate are at best misleading at worst, completely dishonest and fabricated.

I've followed GN for years but I don't think it's a reach to point out the lack of objectivity in some of their recent material.
The entire point of this video is to show how it is possible to cause the fire, is it the only way, was it actually happened to the first "victim"? No one fucking knows.

Only took 2 videos to paint Sony in bad light to throw all the credibility down in the gutter.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
lol they didn't even completely fix the issue... Guess the cost of replacing the junk riser cable outweighed safety on this one. Screws are cheap though!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

I think GN should get the benefit of the doubt on this one since it's a safety issue. The scenario doesn't have to be 100% accurate since it's conceptually the same as a PSA.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
First one I understand the issues, second one, I don't think it's a bad video ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yup. He made a follow up video because they had an unrelated issue and fixed this one too by adding in some plastic washers.
Well, it seems the washers won't help. The trace is on a inside layer in the pcb, so washers do not stop it from shorting. A plastic screw would though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
First one I understand the issues, second one, I don't think it's a bad video ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, it seems the washers won't help. The trace is on a inside layer in the pcb, so washers do not stop it from shorting. A plastic screw would though.
He might have replaced the screws too, but I don't remember, I just remember the washers.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I have this case but had not experienced any problems. I did receive the nylon screws this week. Thanks for reminding me to replace the screws. I just did it. However, upon watching that video, it seems indeed that this does not entirely fix the problem, since it is due to a faulty rizer cable (maybe they will send out a new cable too?) I am just happy that no fire started, I have basically spent like ten grand on buying a new entertainment station (TV, soundbar, PC, console, furniture etc.)