• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Either a) the policy is to not check items received back from the manufacturer that they sent for repair or b) the policy is to check things and someone failed to follow it. The person responsible for either a) or b) should be held accountable in addition to the company as a whole. Being a big corporate entity doesn't mean things like this are inevitable. You have to have people there that care about accountability.
Oh for sure but GN doesn't know which it is. He kind of just gave them an easy scapegoat to pawn the blame off to one individual even if that is not at all the case. It would be like getting a hamburger from a fast food place when you ordered a cheeseburger and saying hey, this person is incompetent and should be fired, when the case may be that person had 20 orders at a time to fill, hasn't had a day off in a long time, and is working with broken equipment. Sure they screwed up but their circumstances mean it would be hard to expect them not to

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Either a) the policy is to not check items received back from the manufacturer that they sent for repair or b) the policy is to check things and someone failed to follow it. The person responsible for either a) or b) should be held accountable in addition to the company as a whole. Being a big corporate entity doesn't mean things like this are inevitable. You have to have people there that care about accountability.

Sure, as long as the right person is held accountable, which is my point. As you shown there was no thought that c) person did check it, said nope, and a software fuckup marked it for "open box land", instead of "recycle afterlife." And that just one possiblity at an operation at the scale I assume Newegg operates at.

Newegg should totally eat shit for this. A specific individual employee though? That would require details we don't know and are never going to get.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Sure, as long as the right person is held accountable, which is my point. As you shown there was no thought that c) person did check it, said nope, and a software fuckup marked it for "open box land", instead of "recycle afterlife." And that just one possiblity at an operation at the scale I assume Newegg operates at.

Newegg should totally eat shit for this. A specific individual employee though? That would require details we don't know and are never going to get.

Yes Steve doesn't know where exactly the failure happened but he also didn't name someone specific so what's wrong with him saying someone should be fired? It's not like a restaurant customer calling for their server by name to be fired for a mistake that could be due to the cook or management. All he said was that someone should be held responsible.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Oh for sure but GN doesn't know which it is. He kind of just gave them an easy scapegoat to pawn the blame off to one individual even if that is not at all the case. It would be like getting a hamburger from a fast food place when you ordered a cheeseburger and saying hey, this person is incompetent and should be fired, when the case may be that person had 20 orders at a time to fill, hasn't had a day off in a long time, and is working with broken equipment. Sure they screwed up but their circumstances mean it would be hard to expect them not to

He didn't name anyone specific. He probably knows the names of the customer service agents who failed to solve his issue. The fact that he didn't name anyone involved shows he knows the root of the failure could be in a place he doesn't have visibility into, but that doesn't mean he can't call generally for someone to be held responsible by leadership.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Steve doesn't know where exactly the failure happened but he also didn't name someone specific so what's wrong with him saying someone should be fired? It's not like a restaurant customer calling for their server by name to be fired for a mistake that could be due to the cook or management. All he said was that someone should be held responsible.

Because I have seen scapegoats used all the time to cover for fuckups far higher up the chain or when multiple processes failed and customers demanded their pound of flesh. Demand they do something tangible like I don't know reform their return policies. We don't need to also ask for a pound of flesh as well.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, Steve has already talked about all the twitter posts and correspondence he's had with others that have had similar experiences. Simply from that, this is widespread enough that it is obviously not some single rogue employee, so talking about "firing someone" is less helpful than blaming the corporation, their policies, or their entire corporate culture for these issues, because at least speaking in those terms more squarely says the problems is systemic and engrained in the company to a point where it's not necessarily a front line or even second line employee problem, but is a managerial problem reaching all the way to the top.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Because I have seen scapegoats used all the time to cover for fuckups far higher up the chain or when multiple processes failed. Demand they do something tangible like I don't know reform their return policies. We don't need to also ask for a pound of flesh as well.

He showed the text of the "hassle-free" return policy. From his perspective he would've lost $500 as well as lots of his time so it's not minor and he has multiple similar stories from viewers so obviously he believes it's a systemic problem not limited to a specific person he interacted with. In your view should nothing be a fireable offense?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Someone should definitely be fired for this because it's understandable (not really) that someone missed the big ass sticker the first time and sent a broken motherboard out in the first place. There's zero defense other than gross incompetence, malice, or fraud as to when Steve complained and the RMA team, when THEY HAD THE BOARD, said that he had broken it despite the note on the board saying what happened. Someone essentially was either lying to him or so incompetent that they didn't see the note literally on the board saying what happened despite apparently checking the socket for damaged pins.

Someone will probably sue over this.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe for a second that this isn't a deliberate scam on Newegg's part, having personally experienced their support in similarly slimy scenarios which had no other reasonable explanation.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He showed the text of the "hassle-free" return policy. From his perspective he would've lost $500 as well as lots of his time so it's not minor and he has multiple similar stories from viewers so obviously he believes it's a systemic problem not limited to a specific person he interacted with. In your view should nothing be a fireable offense?

Because its likely some shitty company policy or targets to not approve refunds or something, rather than a person with there being ao many widespread reports. Unless heads are going to roll st the top, no, individual agents should probably not be fired.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Because its likely some shitty company policy or targets to not approve refunds or something, rather than a person with there being ao many widespread reports. Unless heads are going to roll st the top, no, individual agents should probably not be fired.
If this is intentional then those agents are participating in straight up fraud.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

As a customer, if I don't have a specific grievance(s) against a specific employee(s) then what does demanding someone must pay even do?

Of course there are fireable offenses, I just don't see the point in asking for it against nobody in particular. Like what is the upside to me?

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Holy shit, what scumbags. I have fortunately never needed to RMA a single PC part in the 12 years I've been building PCs, and it seems like I won the lottery because I almost exclusively shopped at Newegg for those parts. It's past tense, now, because I certainly will be avoiding them in the future wherever possible

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I feel like this is a growing problem with hardware resellers worldwide. I used to hang around on a hardware forum and the amount of such stories I've heard over the years is staggering. Especially people getting screwed on RMAs is a problem.

And for every person who speaks up about it and causes drama for the company, I wonder how many just quietly get screwed over.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't seen any of this and just bought a mobo/CPU from Newegg without issue and have never had issues with them literally once in well over a decade of using their services.

Now I feel like I've just gotten very lucky. Definitely not going to look to them anymore.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Newegg really has gone down hill in quality. They gave me SO MUCH hassle over a defective motherboard. Never again. When I had issues with Amazon, they were just like sure no prob, sending you another just return that one.

Yep, their return policy is awful. Never again. Amazon does it right.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If this is intentional then those agents are participating in straight up fraud.
If i had my guess agents are "encouraged"(hit these numbers or you fired) to keep their approved returns low. Actually helping a custormer costs companies money they hate spending because they see no return on. Customer loyalty doesn't really pay the bills to them

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If i had my guess agents are "encouraged"(hit these numbers or you fired) to keep their approved returns low. Actually helping a custormer costs companies money they hate spending because they see no return on. Customer loyalty doesn't really pay the bills to them
I understand that but when the customer is saying they never touched a board and there's a big sticker on the board saying "yo this shit be broke" directed to your own company at your own company's behest, you gotta accept the return. Hell, Newegg probably can get into trouble for selling a non-working board to begin with.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This keeps getting more interesting.

jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah showing to pretty much any corporate office unannounced and demanding to talk to someone is basically exactly what security is for.
technically its not unannounced he is giving them heads up via email. ultimately they can talk to him or not, but given the chain of evidence new egg tried to, or at least a employee tried to, do something illegal.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Its a week in advance notice and I highly doubt Steve would be dumb enough to do anything illegal there.
It's not illegal its just that there is no way they would open the door. The only might do it to avoid additional bad press, but if any normal person tries to do this they wouldn't be allowed in the building

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a waste. Can't see what Newegg would have to gain, unless they want to throw some people under the bus and say they fired some people. The PR fallout is bad enough, and ignoring a bunch of hostile (even if totally justified) questions isn't really going to make them look worst than they already do.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It's not illegal its just that there is no way they would open the door. The only might do it to avoid additional bad press, but if any normal person tries to do this they wouldn't be allowed in the building
Yeah there is no chance in hell Steve is getting a sit down with anyone of importance let alone infront of a camera.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Showing up at Newegg unannounced to do a video in their parking lot about how they won't talk to you and then flying back would push this in to clickbait territory. I don't see any other outcome from the stunt really

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Showing up at Newegg unannounced to do a video in their parking lot about how they won't talk to you and then flying back would push this in to clickbait territory. I don't see any other outcome from the stunt really
1 he has sent them a email saying he is coming, 2 is there any difference than a company turning away a reporter, and the reporter talking in the parking lot?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
1 he has sent them a email saying he is coming, 2 is there any difference than a company turning away a reporter, and the reporter talking in the parking lot?
Companies never just let reporters in lol. Set up a real meeting and be a professional. The "I'm coming and you better be ready to talk to me" stunt is a classic among activists but it doesn't get anyone important to talk to you, it just gets attention from the public.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Companies never just let reporters in lol. Set up a real meeting and be a professional. The "I'm coming and you better be ready to talk to me" stunt is a classic among activists but it doesn't get anyone important to talk to you, it just gets attention from the public.
thats the point I doubt steve expects them too, and honestly they cant the fallow up on the original incident, new egg knowingly selling a defective product, likely means they are more concerned about a investigation atm.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This keeps getting more interesting.

holy shit.

You know Steve is showing up with reams of stories from people who have reached out to him about their horror stories.

FWIW: I've never had a bad experience with Newegg. I've returned several products over the years and every time it was a smooth experience. Just in case anyone was wondering if Newegg *always* does shady shit.

I hope they get it together. They got really foul over the last 1.5 years with the bundles and raffles n' shit.

Is that any more "click bait" than the typical evening news segment where a reporter goes to visit a shady/sleezy store owner on the way into their office?

If they didn't want this to turn into a circus, they should have tried not fucking over their customers.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Is that any more "click bait" than the typical evening news segment where a reporter goes to visit a shady/sleezy store owner on the way into their office?

If they didn't want this to turn into a circus, they should have tried not fucking over their customers.
Plus Newegg already said they want to talk to him, he's just doing it on his terms in person and not a fucking phone call. There's so many problems that need dealt with with all these stories coming out and it definitely needs to be talked to in person and not on a casual phone call.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the crappiness of Newegg is finally getting more attention. They've sucked for years.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Why would that be clickbait territory? Did he not get scammed or encounter gross incompetence? Aren't seemingly many other customers?

So then, don't play on the large corporation's side and let them do as they like. Go for that filmed interview at their headquarters.

If they don't want to commit to an interview at all, that speaks for itself.
If they do an interview with some low-level PR guy, that does, too.
If they have someone that can actually reasonably explain how this is neither scam nor cross incompetence but a particularly unfortunate situation? Good for them. Sounds unlikely, but hey, if it's the case, so be it.

And well, if it is a systematic scam, to which they'll never directly confess, then at least admit to some structural issues and give concrete goals to improve all that.

If all that's not possible, then fuck 'em?! It's great that their scummy practices cause a deserved fallout. Feels like some here want to feel bad for Newegg. Or the pearl-clutching about "someone should be fired for this". Of course, someone should be fired. If it was just a particularly incompetent RMA inspector then him/her. If it was a scummy manager, then that person. If it was systematic scamming from high up, then the CEO and whoever should get fired, hypothetically. What's the alternative, that a company can do no wrong to a degree where one mustn't even state that some general person should probably be fired for gross incompetence?

It's clear that Steve's saying that in the base case scenario, one or several employees fucked up so badly that they ought to be fired. Meanwhile, in a worse-case scenario, cost-saving measures make it easy for overworked personnel to make such mistakes. And in the worst-case scenario, it's company-mandated.