• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why everyone is up in arms. He's comparing the 120fps modes of a few titles and comparing them with console equivalent settings on a 4 year old PC. This isn't a qualitative analysis of whether the console is a good buy or not. They are measuring high frame rate performance. If people aren't happy with the numbers, it could be more of an optimization problem as these are cross-gen games.
Because even in high framerate modes, the PS5 runs the games above 1080p

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Xbox One X was about equal to a 1070, how could a 1060 possibly beat a PS5? Ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Well since the game was performing well on a Ryzen 3 3300X GN shows (that at least on PC) they aren't CPU bound but GPU bound

Wait, wouldn't the game running at over 100+ fps indicate that it's CPU bound? If the game isn't heavily threaded, the cache size and higher clockspeeds of the 3300X could produce better results than the chip in the PS5, which has more cores, but a max of 3.5GHz clock speed. I'm likely off, but just wanted to get some clarity.

My point was just that these aren't games "running in backwards compatability", they're native PS5 titles pushed by the respective developers. I agree that the results seem fishy but it's likely because Steve didn't know that you can't just set the PS5 video output to 1080p and force the games to render at 1080p.

Gotcha. Definitely makes sense.

Last edited:

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Wait, wouldn't the game running at over 100+ fps indicate that it's CPU bound? If the game isn't heavily threaded, the cache size and higher clockspeeds of the 3300X could produce better results than the chip in the PS5, which has more cores, but a max of 3.5GHz clock speed.
Potentially! To know for sure we'd need to see benchmarks conducted at more similar resolutions. :-P But since the developers for each title chose to lower resolution for each game's respective high frame rate modes I imagine it's more GPU limited than CPU, as if it was a CPU limit inhibiting the frame rate the games can achieve then there wouldn't be a need to drop resolution which primarily affects GPU.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
All three of the tested games were native PS5 titles. You didn't have to watch more than a couple of minutes of the video to see that.

They all running on the same code as the last gen versions, that's what I meant to say. They didn't remake these games just for the PS5.

I would like to see later on, some actual next gen comparisons.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
They all running on the same code as the last gen versions, that's what I meant to say. They didn't remake these games just for the PS5.

I feel like the only valid console PC comparison for high frame rate gameplay to be made right now would be the Series X and Gears 5. Running the 120fps multiplayer mode using a private game to simulate similar conditions. The Series X would likely far outperform the PC used in the test.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017

I'm not sure there are any next gen only games that are also available on PC yet (at least that I can think of off the top of my head) which I guess could be countered with "then why make the video so early on in the first place" but that's why it's noted in the description that it's purely academic. I'm sure this subject will be revisited throughout the generation.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Well since the game was performing well on a Ryzen 3 3300X GN shows (that at least on PC) they aren't CPU bound but GPU bound, but that's not important as it's been established that GN didn't test against the correct resolution. DMC 5 runs at 3840x2160 checkerboard in performance mode with raytracing off and Dirt 5 runs between 900-1440p according to DF in performance mode, so GN testing against a 1080p locked PC experience would result in far better performance numbers on PC because of the lower resolution.

My point was just that these aren't games "running in backwards compatability", they're native PS5 titles pushed by the respective developers. I agree that the results seem fishy but it's likely because Steve didn't know that you can't just set the PS5 video output to 1080p and force the games to render at 1080p.

He knows it uses dynamic resolution, during the dirt 5 segment he said they saw the ps5 scale down to as low as 720p. When did DF do their pixel count on this game, have some of the patches changed the lower bounds in framerate mode? or did they just managed to find a particularly heavy spot DF didn't?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 is a $400 system with a $500 disc drive version.

Oh yeah, let's use the rare-as-a-unicorn version to prove that it's a $400 system. The system that the vast majority will likely ever have access too is currently $500. The $500 system is the system that Sony is actually taking the least loss on too, because that drive didn't cost them close to $100.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Oh yeah, let's use the rare-as-a-unicorn version to prove that it's a $400 system. The system that the vast majority will likely ever have access too is currently $500. The $500 system is the system that Sony is actually taking the least loss on too, because that drive didn't cost them close to $100.

Stop wasting your breathe with all this hot air. The PS5 is a $400 system.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PC gamers need to stop doing this "OH YOU CAN BUILD A PC FOR $500 DOLLARZ" bullshit. And this is coming from a gal who's been PC gaming for most of her life.

It's just... what's the point of these videos? The so called "500 builds" never include any peripherals, a monitor, a desk, or any of the extra shit that you need to actually use the PC. Then there's the fact that if you're gaming with a $500 gaming PC, you're probably not going to get to the parts of PC gaming that make it unique from console gaming (gaming over 60hz, g-sync/freesync, usually better graphics, etc.). And then there's the fact that that 500 build will maybe get you through a year or two of medium-low end gaming before you're running games at 30fps. And that's not even getting to the fact that you usually can't even build a PC for that cheap in the first place unless you rob a computer store or are given components for free.

Instead of these clickbaity "U CaN BuILd a CONsol Kill3rz foOr $500" fake ass videos, why don't youtubers be more honest with their audiences? Instead of lying to people about these mythical $500 gaming builds, how about they instead focus on realistically cheap builds (800-1200 range), or focus on how people can upgrade their old builds to 'catch up' with new games. Like, PC gaming is always going to be a rich person's arena and unless people stop pre-ordering $1000 GPUs I don't see that changing.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
PC gamers need to stop doing this "OH YOU CAN BUILD A PC FOR $500 DOLLARZ" bullshit. And this is coming from a gal who's been PC gaming for most of her life.

I'm not sure this video was about a "500 dollar pc" if someone can link the timestamp in the video where he says 500 dollar pc post the link, the title of the video was

"PlayStation 5 120FPS Mode vs. PC 120FPS: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison"

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This is why I'm hoping the KFC PC is real and that it is a low enough price to match near current consoles.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
what sort of reality distortion field do you guys live in, yeah its $400, its in my living room lol

And yet it's being compared to a $500 system. Not a $400 system that you might have purchased, but the one that was $500 at MSRP.

I'm not sure this video was about a "500 dollar pc" if someone can link the timestamp in the video where he says 500 dollar pc post the link, the title of the video was

"PlayStation 5 120FPS Mode vs. PC 120FPS: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison"

GN doesn't, they just try to make a performance per dollar comparison between the PS5 and a PC and say that it's largely pointless, except to say that the consoles are good performance per dollar. But this is nothing new, and shouldn't need to be stated in the first place.

OP
OP
PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I think they changed the title to be about 120fps. I am sure when I was making the thread that it was 500$ pc vs PS5. Tried to use wayback machine but it doesnt work.

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think they changed the title of the video, because when I watched it earlier it was definitely more about the 500 PC bit.

I think they changed the title to be about 120fps. I am sure when I was making the thread that it was 500$ pc vs PS5. Tried to use wayback machine but it doesnt work.

^ Yeah I think they changed the title. They probably backed off once they realized how this video made them look.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the video now, it is different than what was being discussed. They didn't go about saying "we are going to build a $500 pc that beats a PS5". They went about saying "lets find pc parts that match the ps5s performance that we are seeing." That I feel is a pretty big difference.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
GN does the title change pretty frequently nowadays. I don't have much against it generally speaking but it really has become very LTT like with the click bait titles and thumbnails. Both sth that Steve once said he really doesn't want to do... But just like LTT they turn towards the usual arguments that you just have to do it because the metrics!

And hammering out so many videos, as GN regularly complains or brags about putting in unhealthy amounts of work... Doesn't surprise me that more and more videos turn into duds like this.

That's with over 1.25m subscribers and making good money with his merch. Like, slow down a bit, don't overwork yourself and go quality over quantity. But nah, gotta accelerate that growth even further...

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
There are clear benefits to PC gaming, but why do PC centric gamers make these kind of videos? This doesn't help the overall discussion regarding platform choice.

Some kid is going to scrounge together $500 and think they can come close to what a PS5/Series X can do. They're gonna be disappointed.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
^ Yeah I think they changed the title. They probably backed off once they realized how this video made them look.
They did:
bEjNLWA.png

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
There are clear benefits to PC gaming, but why do PC centric gamers make these kind of videos? This doesn't help the overall discussion regarding platform choice.

Some kid is going to scrounge together $500 and think they can come close to what a PS5/Series X can do. They're gonna be disappointed.

I am still watching but they don't seem to do this. I am 15 minutes in and they haven't talked about price at all. Again they seemed to be saying, "This is what the PS5 is doing with 120 fps with these settings. We went and found pc hardware that matches what the PS5 is doing and it so happens to be a 3300x and a 1060."

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I doubt GN is ever hurting for clicks.. so I don't understand the approach to this video, especially when even PC gamers would know these comparisons don't tell the whole story. They have a team for their GN channel right? You would think one or two people would have said, "yeeeah we might be stretching this a bit too far" lol.
I am honestly shocked to see a video of this quality from GamersNexus.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I think they changed the title of the video, because when I watched it earlier it was definitely more about the 500 PC bit.

Ok that's a dick move, I watched the video and never saw them mention 500 dollar pc and thought the OP was just trying to fan the flames. Sorry for kinda calling you both out.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like he is going to have to do another video explaining like he had to with his other PS5 video, people don't know how to watch though for this one I think more is on Steve as the original title and thumbnail did not mesh with the content at all.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has a 1060 6GB and a ryzen 1600 af, as well as a PS5, I can tell you this is not a good comparison video.

edit: the PS5 performs much better than anything you can make for $400-$500, even if prices were normal.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
GN isn't what it used to be. Going for clicks and changing titles after shit hit the fan is not the standard I used to expect from Steve.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I love the posts in here trying to claim the PS5 is a $399 console. It's $499, don't be disingenuous.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

It's just... what's the point of these videos? The so called "500 builds" never include any peripherals, a monitor, a desk, or any of the extra shit that you need to actually use the PC. Then there's the fact that if you're gaming with a $500 gaming PC, you're probably not going to get to the parts of PC gaming that make it unique from console gaming (gaming over 60hz, g-sync/freesync, usually better graphics, etc.). And then there's the fact that that 500 build will maybe get you through a year or two of medium-low end gaming before you're running games at 30fps. And that's not even getting to the fact that you usually can't even build a PC for that cheap in the first place unless you rob a computer store or are given components for free.

Instead of these clickbaity "U CaN BuILd a CONsol Kill3rz foOr $500" fake ass videos, why don't youtubers be more honest with their audiences? Instead of lying to people about these mythical $500 gaming builds, how about they instead focus on realistically cheap builds (800-1200 range), or focus on how people can upgrade their old builds to 'catch up' with new games. Like, PC gaming is always going to be a rich person's arena and unless people stop pre-ordering $1000 GPUs I don't see that changing.
While I don't disagree, why are we adding monitors to the cost of a PC and not TVs to the cost of a console?

Since you can PC game on a TV and plenty of people console game on monitors, those shouldn't even factor in. Likewise with speakers and whatnot.

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I don't disagree, why are we adding monitors to the cost of a PC and not TVs to the cost of a console?

Since you can PC game on a TV and plenty of people console game on monitors, those shouldn't even factor in. Likewise with speakers and whatnot.

Oh, I just added it because while most people already have TVs, not everyone has a monitor (for example, growing up we only had TVs until I got into PC gaming through gaming laptops). And while you can PC game on TVs, most people associate tv + console and PC + monitor. Also most monitors don't come with speakers (and I'm not talking about the expensive ones; I'm assuming the person would need to buy headphones (50-whatever amount lol) or speakers (20-etc)).

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I am honestly shocked to see a video of this quality from GamersNexus.

Absolutely the disclaimer below the video

First, as stated in the conclusion, there's a place for both PCs and consoles and it's not as simple as a price-for-price comparison

Is garbage because the entire video topic is platform wars in a nutshell.

I really expect significantly better from Steve and co.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Their point stands. My high end PC doesn't have a UHD blu-ray drive, and if I wanted to add one it would have cost me about $100.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Its a weird technicality

But its not wrong, you can get the same performance from the $400 as the $500 model doesn't matter especially when PC games are 99% digital now like the $400 PS5 sku
it's like saying the PS3 was really $499 and not $599.

The feature complete PS5 is $499 and is also the one Sony is mainly manufacturing. Maybe if the split was more equal or even in favor of the digital edition, then sure the priority SKU is either or, but saying the PS5 is $399 because Sony are taking a massive loss to sell a stripped down system to hit a marketable lower price, then the Series X is actually $35.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I just added it because while most people already have TVs, not everyone has a monitor (for example, growing up we only had TVs until I got into PC gaming through gaming laptops). And while you can PC game on TVs, most people associate tv + console and PC + monitor. Also most monitors don't come with speakers (and I'm not talking about the expensive ones; I'm assuming the person would need to buy headphones (50-whatever amount lol) or speakers (20-etc)).

Your view on PC gaming is severely outdated. PC gaming has not been this "PC + monitor" setup for more than a decade now.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
400, 500, I don't think it really matters. If you could build a PC with similar or more power for 500 and you consider the PS5 399, the difference isn't that huge.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Didn't Alex from digital foundry state that the ps5 was performing like a 2080 or higher in one of their videos last month, what is this garbage tier clickbait video. I expect better from gamer nexus

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
GN isn't like this :/ i don't get why they made such a video. Views ofc but not expected of them