• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Cheryl and Harry relationship is in no way fleshed out like Joel and Ellie's. Lol what is even this? Harry barely has a personality.
At the time it felt out of this world, there was nothing like it and I think SH overall was a very influential series and way more mature than other games, it is the first series i remember that focused heavily on tackling society issues.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
At the time it felt out of this world, there was nothing like it and I think SH overall was a very influential series and way more mature than other games, it is the first series i remember that focused heavily on tackling society issues.
Not at all. There are literally no game influenced by silent Hill. It never achieved mainstream status and it's not really known outside gaming circles. Casuals never knew about its existence. It's always been a niche series and was always in resident evil's shadow. I love sh, but don't fool yourself, it was not influential at all. TLOU is simply in a league of its own.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The magic was in the performances, subtleties of the writing, understated tone, and grounded setpieces. Also imo probably some of the most tense and visceral gameplay moments since RE4. Hard to rank it as game of the decade, but I wouldnt argue against it.

This article, however, DOES NOT make a good case for the game... like at all.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Not at all. There are literally no game influenced by silent Hill. It never achieved mainstream status and it's not really known outside gaming circles. Casuals never knew about its existence. It's always been a niche series and was always in resident evil's shadow. I love sh, but don't fool yourself, it was not influential at all. TLOU is simply in a league of its own.

This is so insanely ignorant LMAO

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the praise TLOU's story received in 2013 is more a sign of just how bad storytelling in games was on average at that point than a signifier of quality in and of itself.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
The opening sequence made me roll my eyes so hard. Oh no this character I have zero emotional investment in dies, better feel sorry for the main character. It was such a weak attempt at an emotional gut punch.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It is certainly mine, but I don't know about the whole "widely considered" bit. Oh well, guess it's fun to read posts from people who are way too invested in this kind of thing.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Sorry but you are wrong, a lot of influential games were never a huge sellers, they were influential/inspiring because of how artistic and well designed they were. for example Castlevania was an influence and inspiration for the last GoW game, but it was never a mainstream series... even for Naughty Dog, they talked before that one of the games that influenced them was Ico.

A lot of horror games inspired ideas and themes from Silent Hill, a quick example is The Evil Within, one of its levels (chapter 10) was directly out of a SH game. Alan Wake is another example.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I don't think TLOU deserves to be anywhere near a GOTD lists as I don't think it effectively utilizes the tools afforded by the medium. TLOU could easily be turned into a TV series and it would be just as enjoyable, as the interactive elements have almost no bearing on the rest of the experience. A GOTD should present an experience that could never be replicated in another medium.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think TLOU deserves to be anywhere near a GOTD lists as I don't think it effectively utilizes the tools afforded by the medium. TLOU could easily be turned into a TV series and it would be just as enjoyable, as the interactive elements have almost no bearing on the rest of the experience. A GOTD should present an experience that could never be replicated in another medium.
The gameplay adds so much tension to the overall feeling of the game for me, so I feel like your opinion it would be just as good if it were a TV show to be wrong.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Person who's never read a book/seen a movie said:
However, the game's most celebrated facet lies in its story, more specifically, the way Naughty Dog was able to tell a cliche "zombie apocalypse" plot and transform it into something that has never been done before. By the time its release back in 2013, post-apocalyptic worlds ravaged by a deadly disease is no longer new in video games. However, Naughty Dog took a different approach with The Last of Us and focused the game's story on the human side of things, which encapsulated the will to survive and that primal instinct to protect ourselves and the people close to us no matter the consequences.
I'm dying.
Did you know Joel killed people for Ellie because Ellie reminded him of his daughter. You can tell this because at one point he calls her by his daughter's name, indicating that he looks at Ellie kind of like a daughter. This means Joel's character has developed a relationship with Ellie, even though before he was reluctant to do so, so his character has developed. So he went through character development.
the last of us was able to do something that was never done in video games before, and that is transcend beyond the definition of the term 'video game' and into an experience.
I'm dead.
I already said I was dead!

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird title and LoU is definitely not even in my Top 10 list. Lists are stupid anyway, everyone has their own list.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
That's a piping hot take you got there, friendo.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Stupid fanboy posts abound but it's this one about Silent Hill having zero influence on any game ever made that stands out as the most ridiculous of them all. Kudos.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Weird title and LoU is definitely not even in my Top 10 list. Lists are stupid anyway, everyone has their own list.
Sony Fans are the worst.

speaking of eye-rolling....

And this is why we will never get a coherent conversation about GoTG because of this crap.

Sony Fans will pick some exclusive like TLoU
Ninty fans will pick something like BoTW
MS fans will pick something like Halo

It'll will never end....

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill actually has a movie. Can TLOU say the same? Uh huh, that's what I thought. Not so cinematic now, are ya?

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
despite my snark earlier, i really loved the last of us when it first launched. my opinion on it has waned, especially after i gave additional consideration to how crummy the representation of women and poc was in the game (which seemed to have been an ongoing issue since at least uncharted 2 but also maybe uncharted 1?). the dramatic beats are pretty strong, and i looooooove that it actually makes an effort to connect the players to the characters and the story to the game world. intimate is maybe not the exact word i'd use, but i can definitely agree that naughty dog accomplishes what they set out to do, very unlike what they did with uncharted 2 - which is kind of a dumb mess with neat setpieces i guess (my opinion on this has waned from kinda liking it to thinking it's a cleaned-up david cage style experience).

it was good and i liked it a lot and i still like it a lot.

if we're talking storytelling, and specifically storytelling in video games, then gone home did it better that year. if we want to discuss intimacy, that's a story that fits the description to a t. if we're talking innovation, i'd sooner point to 999 (the ds version), which had to use gaming hardware in unexpected ways to deliver its final plot twist with a very direct and clever metaphor in a way that could only really happen in a video game. undertale (the pc version), in addition to being incredibly well-written, used traditional rpg gameplay to tell its story, and considered the hardware itself and the player's experience with it and video games could also be part of the story. the two latter examples here actually do what the last of us can't do. you could very well get the same general feeling out of a miniseries version of the last of us, detroit, metroid other m, or any other story-focused game where a cutscene interrupts the player and the gameplay kinda-sorta reinforces what's going on in the cutscene. 999 and undertale are examples where the storytelling is wholly unique to the medium, and excel at it.

i suppose we could agree that if we have to look at the various kinds of storytelling in games, that the last of us is at least one of the best of its kind, of the cinematic-driven, cutscene-focused form of storytelling.

I can agree with your the last paragraph.

But yeah I'm always wary of the notion that there's a true and pure way to tell stories in video games. I hear it all the time here, and it's just limiting.

Anyway did you read my couple sentences lol

(Not saying other games don't do this so don't come at me! just saying tlou is one of the games this decade that nails it
)

Lol and then you come at me with Undertale is more innovative and Gone Home is more intimate. I won't knock those games but they don't diminish what TLOU does.

I think a game that Gone Home is powerful but TLOU is as intimate or even more intimate as Gone Home as you are with characters and seeing them interact (often without cutscenes), and in cutscenes seeing certain facial reactions and performances that can show us the vulnerabilities of the characters. I think ppl are sleeping on performances, to see characters and situations feel authentic due to the performances is one aspect that sets it apart from most games. We have lots of games with performances but it's rare to get a game that can capitalize on the drama and get to the heart of a moment/scene like TLOU. (Again some of these moments are not cutscenes)

It's kind of unfair to compare an AAA game to a small game like Gone Home which is why I made the distinction that "TLOU really raises the bar in what we expect for AAA games". Again not diminishing what Undertale and Gone Home do, but they aren't examples of games that objective do it better. They do it differently and that's valid.

Anyway I really don't think it's just the story in TLOU that make it special. It's the blend of action, world building, attention to detail, along with this relationship at the core and how each element of the game reinforces and serves to tell that story- is what make it such a talked about game.

Definitely agree with your last paragraph.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog discovers gamers latent Daddy Protect instinct.

American Gaming press: "omg teh gaming Citizen Kane"

ResetEra: "SALT MINE"

Dennis8K: ima head over to off topic

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us is one of gaming's finest works indeed and it's widely considered Game of the Generation to so many publications and gamers alike

The amount of love and effect this game has is astounding specially for a new IP.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because Naughty Dog has become arguably the best developer in the entire gaming industry..?

I literally acknowledged that. Did you even read my post?

Why should someone being extremely good at their job justify us saying any positive thing about them even if it's blatantly untrue? That makes no sense to me.

Things don't need to be new or original to be beloved lol.

When did I say they did?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The only game I had to consciously step away from, the emotional intensity of certain elements was overtaking my sense of fun. A real GOAT

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And this is why we will never get a coherent conversation about GoTG because of this crap.

It'll will never end....
What else did you expect? There's no such thing as the objective game of the year/generation/decade. You can discuss, sure. Discussion can be more eloquent with certain users over others, sure. But at the end of the day, everyone has their own opinion based on their own experiences. And mostly everyone thinks their opinion is more valid than others. Add to that the anonymity of the internet, and you can't expect anything more than fanboys trying to point out why their beloved game should be recognized by everyone as the best ever.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is for me. I very rarely buy a game twice, done it with GTA V and TLOU. All my favourite games are ones where you've been on a journey, like you started at point A and made it all the way to Z and all the points in between just had so much going for them, so many segments that are memorable. And even though TLOU isnt the longest game I've ever played, not close it's just awesome in every little part.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I also need to make note of how fantastic the Left Behind DLC is. As a whole, it has some of my favorite moments across all available content. Up there with The Old Hunters and Witcher 3 DLC as all-time favorites.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It'll will never end....

I very much doubt Halo 5 beats out titles like TW3, RDR2 etc among Xbox fans.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I can already imagine the contents of this thread.

images
Prophetic prophet...

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Breath Of The Wild factually takes it and it's absolutely deserved but to me the real GOTD is either Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

My list of candidates - even if nobody cares:
Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Hollow Knight, Sekiro, The Last Guardian, Zelda BotW.

Biased much, haha.

Either one of these deserves it in my opinion and it doesn't matter that some of them are aquired taste/not for the masses. If anyone asked me what games were essential this decade these would be the ones I'd mention. Personally I'm not a fan of Naughty Dogs style but I can appreciate what they've done! Also Witcher III should be on some lists as well!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't agree with this less, personally. Not that TLOU is my game of the decade (might not even crack my top 20 tbh) but I enjoyed TLOU for its gameplay first and its story second.