• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

For those who don't know, Arkane Studios was working on Half-Life 2 Episode 4 between 2006 and 2007.

It was referenced as ''Return to Ravenholm'', and it was set in a Ravenholm infested with headcrabs and headcrabs zombies. The project was eventually canceled by Valve

Noclip is doing a documentary on the history of Arkane, and apparently they will go into discussions not only about released games but also about stuff that was cancelled like The Crossing, LMNO (that's where the screenshot in the previous tweet is from) and Half-Life 2 Episode 4

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing some vital context here because I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Valve really took the "not doing number 3" seriously when Episode 4 leaks before Episode 3 huh

Oh, its the Arkane Half Life game.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Arkane is my favourite developer right now after Prey and Dishonoured so I can't wait for this doc to release. NoClip has been working on it for so long it seems.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The context is Noclip (a game documentary channel run by Danny O'Dwyer and a few other people) is posting images and GIFs from games/prototypes revealed in their History of Arkane Games doc coming soon. The weird alien woman, I assume, is not related to the Half-Life footage.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say that first screenshot reminded me of that cancelled Spielberg game. And I wasn't mistaken. What a weird design.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Thank fuck we're finally getting something on this. Also doesn't Arkane literally have a working copy of The Crossing they never released?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
So this was an official HL game that would have come out after Valve's Episode 3?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Arkane has to be one of the unluckiest studios that hasn't gotten shut down. Dishonored 1 selling well is possibly the only break they have ever gotten.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So this was an official HL game that would have come out after Valve's Episode 3?
Yeah, that seems to be what the original plan was.

I think it's safe to say most of what was in that Epistle 3 thing isn't happening due to how HL Alyx ended, and I would imagine this Episode 4 definitely isn't happening.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
capture.gif

It looked really cool too

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

Can someone give me context? :D

Also, i didnt know that episode 3 was in active development.. why did they cancelled both episodes?

Is it because gaben didnt believe they were groundbreaking? I think he said something like that in some revent interview after being asked why there arent more half life games.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Damn, that kick is straight out of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Love Arkane ever since the Arx Fatalis days. Can't wait for Noclip to release the video.