• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Bought 3 years worth for $151 a couple months ago. And I got a Razer Kishi and a Galaxy S20 for Christmas, so now not only do I have access to GPU on PC and XSX, but I can also stream games to my phone and play with a fully featured controller.

I was a PS4 guy but I'll be goddamned if Microsoft hasn't done a great job converting me. The value is insane.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's a great value to be sure, but the fact that games can rotate off the service means I'll only ever view it as an affordable way to try out games. Games are longer than movies or TV shows, long enough that you can't necessarily just quickly binge 'em once it's been announced that they're leaving. And just because you've finished a game doesn't mean you won't want to revisit it in the future, so I'd want to own the games that I like.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You forgot the person who turns up to say it's not good value because they only play 1 $70 game at a time and have no friends or family so no other game gets played until the current one is completed.
Jesus Christ it's like you guys won't accept any opinion or lifestyle that doesn't mesh with Gamepass being a great fit for a person.

Absolutely embarrassing behavior in this thread.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
But is it legal / how is it sustainable / when will the price go up / they will only make GAAS games for it / why do i need to buy an Xbox / there are no games in GP worth playing / i only buy physical so GP is worthless / etc etc etc.

Did i miss anything?
I think this is plenty concerned. You covered it all :P

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a great value! But why does this thread have to be repeated every other day. Can it get merged into the game pass thread

Jun 15, 2020
Oh i know, i just enjoy taking the piss out of those people.
I get it, they're transparent. I just don't understand why they click on Game Pass threads to go "Nu-uh!" It's baffling. I don't click on Fighting Game threads because I have no interest.

EDIT: Honestly, same with the "Do we need another thread?" people. It's sooooo easy to just not click on threads that aren't for you. I don't get it.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Jesus Christ it's like you guys won't accept any opinion or lifestyle that doesn't mesh with Gamepass being a great fit for a person.

It's such a weird fandom. Like console warriors + need to feel special in an enthusiast space leads to this cringe.

I got my younger brother a few months of GamePass for his birthday, and he's had fun with it, but also isn't planning on renewing it due to how it fits into his play style. Based on this thread, I guess I need to get into his face and scream that he is wrong?

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
It's a fantastic service for gamers.. bit I do worry about it's sustainability because.. I don't want the service to just up and disappear one day. £40 for two years... and then MS parades "15Million subs".. I honestly believe 99% of those subs are on discounted rates.. and will obly sub again when a discounted price is available.

I'm one of them... have 2 years of subs, but I have no interest at full price renewal.
What exactly do you lose if Game Pass ceases to exist? You don't own any of the games there.

It's same as you'd be worried if Spotify or Netflix closed down some day. There's no point to be worried about it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I get it, they're transparent. I just don't understand why they click on Game Pass threads to go "Nu-uh!" It's baffling. I don't click on Fighting Game threads because I have no interest.

EDIT: Honestly, same with the "Do we need another thread?" people. It's sooooo easy to just not click on threads that aren't for you. I don't get it.
I clicked on this thread to provide my personal experience of GPU's value for me, as a GPU subscriber for over a year and a half.

You drive by shit-posted a response to me, and ignored me asking you to elaborate.

I came into this thread to provide my opinion because.. that's what a discussion forum is for. Discussion. You shit posting trying to stop discussion sucks.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
What exactly do you lose if Game Pass ceases to exist? You don't own any of the games there.

It's same as you'd be worried if Spotify or Netflix closed down some day. There's no point to be worried about it.
I worry because it's a great service and they are building an expectation that it will always be a dollar. The moment it isn't, they risk their userbase collapsing and eventually the service will end. And the only thing that could have prevented it.. is better price regulation.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
I worry because it's a great service and they are building an expectation that it will always be a dollar. The moment it isn't, they risk their userbase collapsing and eventually the service will end. And the only thing that could have prevented it.. is better price regulation.
Everybody knows it's not going to be 1 dollar per month forever. Spotify was free in the beginning. Netflix was cheaper too than it is now.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup it rules, and soon people will be able to enjoy majority of Yakuza series on it

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
But it has both novel indie games (often on day 1) and big award winners so it looks like it has exactly what you are looking for. I would say one of GP's many strengths is discovering cool new indie games that might have otherwise flown under the radar. Spiritfarer is a recent example of an indie game i really enjoyed and never even heard of before it came out.

It's the 'big award winners' (or lack thereof) that reduces its value in my eyes, more than the indie titles.

It will probably tick all the boxes for me when new Bethesda releases are included.

There's no use bothering. The only people are posting this crap are the people who are actively trying to dislike it. The ones who enjoy being a turd in the punch bowl.

When there's a thread like 'GamePass Ultimate is probably the best value in gaming at the moment' that statement presupposes there may be disagreement. You shouldn't expect only fawning responses.

Microsoft wouldn't have purchased Bethesda if they thought the service as is appealed to everyone. They're trying to fill the gaps in the appeal, so it's not all fabricated negativity.

Nov 1, 2017

There are loads of legitimate reasons as to why Game Pass may not be a good fit for someone. Doesn't take away from the fact that it's insanely good value for money, especially if you engage enough in the Microsoft ecosystem to literally get it for free. What is in fact embarrassing behaviour is the people who feel the need to infest every GP thread with nonsense like "GP only has garbage indie games" and if you see a problem with those people getting rightfully mocked for talking shit then that's says more about you, frankly.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There are loads of legitimate reasons as to why Game Pass may not be a good fit for someone. Doesn't take away from the fact that it's insanely good value for money, especially if you engage enough in the Microsoft ecosystem to literally get it for free. What is in fact embarrassing behaviour is the people who feel the need to infest every GP thread with nonsense like "GP only has garbage indie games" and if you see a problem with those people getting rightfully mocked for talking shit then that's says more about you, frankly.
Has that happened in this thread? No? Then it's irrelevant.

Mocking people who simply don't fit the model is ridiculous.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Skipped Microsoft for the previous gen, but got a Series X now with gamepass and the amount of good stuff on there is crazy. Can't wait until most games are S/X optimized.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Microsoft wouldn't have purchased Bethesda if they thought the service as is appealed to everyone. They're trying to fill the gaps in the appeal, so it's not all fabricated negativity.
They acquired Bethesda because Zenimax was looking for a buyer and it was a tremendous opportunity to add an enormous amount of valuable IP and developers to their portfolio to help button up their first-party weakness (in comparison to Sony & Nintendo). I don't think the purchase of Bethesda was made with GamePass in mind specifically. They would have bought them regardless if the service existed or not.

Jun 15, 2020
When there's a thread like 'GamePass Ultimate is probably the best value in gaming at the moment' that statement presupposes there may be disagreement. You shouldn't expect only fawning responses.

The "disagreements" are basically "I refuse to try new games". Which is not valid. And more to the point, unnecessary. People would be much better off not clicking on shit they don't like...

But also, I don't buy this argument that creating more content is somehow an assertion that it's bad. It's a machine that will constantly need to be fed.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Go ahead and quote somebody who said that. Otherwise, to use your word, cringe.

I'm mocking shit like this.

There's no use bothering. The only people are posting this crap are the people who are actively trying to dislike it. The ones who enjoy being a turd in the punch bowl.
Of course the downplayers have to come in and let everyone know why they are too special to enjoy a good value...
But it has both novel indie games (often on day 1) and big award winners so it looks like it has exactly what you are looking for. I would say one of GP's many strengths is discovering cool new indie games that might have otherwise flown under the radar. Spiritfarer is a recent example of an indie game i really enjoyed and never even heard of before it came out.

Oh yeah, Five Night's at Freddy's, can't see why anyone would be interested in a game that was massively popular and spawned a shitload of sequels, spinoffs, merchandising and a movie in production. Let's see, what other garbage indie games are on there, hmm, Among Us? Yeah no one played that garbage indie game in 2020. Celeste? Definitely not a beloved indie game with a high metacritic score that is a wonderful experience. It's not on the service anymore but Undertale was on there for a while. Man, all these garbage indie games. What a waste of money.

Honestly, I agree. I know i'm dunking on some of the foolish people in here but it's becoming a cliché really how often we get the same "Game pass is great" thread with pretty much the same responses from people either going "Yeah, duh, where have you been?" and the naysayers that can't stand the fact that Microsoft has managed to create something good. It's superfluous at this point. I think the problem is GP is one of those things that has very strong word of mouth, someone hears something good about it, tries it, has the "Holy shit! This is a revelation" moment and then feels compelled to talk about it on here or wherever. Rinse and repeat until i guess it's so ubiquitous that everyone knows what's up. You don't really need to explain Netflix to people or find them amazed at this cool service, it just exists as a known quantity.

Like I guess that you don't like hyperbole, but that joke is very much based on these sorts of sentiments.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
There's no doubt about it.

Insanely good value.....and then there's the fact it works through gameshare!

Madness!

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to finally own an Xbox console... series x will be my first one and you'd better believe I'm gonna pick up game pass on day 1. Too many games I've missed and excited for whatever new stuff Bethesda will come out with. Also really want to play the Forza Horizon series.

This thread got kind of weird though lol. I was expecting more of a celebration, but people are just full on defensive and snarky.

Anyway not exactly sure when the best time to get one will be. I guess probably as soon as the consoles are easier to get? Maybe sooner would be better as my backlog would just be huge.

Jun 15, 2020
Can't wait to finally own an Xbox console... series x will be my first one and you'd better believe I'm gonna pick up game pass on day 1. Too many games I've missed and excited for whatever new stuff Bethesda will come out with. Also really want to play the Forza Horizon series.

This thread got kind of weird though lol. I was expecting more of a celebration, but people are just full on defensive and snarky.

Anyway not exactly sure when the best time to get one will be. I guess probably as soon as the consoles are easier to get? Maybe sooner would be better as my backlog would just be huge.
Seems like it's gonna be tough until the spring. Which really sucks. I got one, but my fiancé doesn't yet and it's killing her. I am trying to get a PS5 for myself now though, and that's also been a headache.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Amazing insight here. Care to actually pose an argument?

50% off steak is not a good deal for a vegan.. surely you can understand what I meant by whether something is a good deal or not is subjective..
50% off a steak is a good deal whether you partake or not, even a vegan can agree.

If somehow none of GP's hundreds of games manage to strike your fancy, it's still a pool of thousands of dollars worth of games offered for a tiny fraction of the price. The value is undeniable.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it's gonna be tough until the spring. Which really sucks. I got one, but my fiancé doesn't yet and it's killing her. I am trying to get a PS5 for myself now though, and that's also been a headache.

Yeah I spent all my energy trying to get the PS5 day 1. I love it, it's great. But I beat the games I bought already (PS4 backwards compat included). I'm thinking now I probably should've gotten an Xbox first since there's a bigger library of games and series I just haven't even touched due to owning PlayStation every gen.

Anyways hope you and your fiancé get your consoles soon!

Jun 15, 2020
Yeah I spent all my energy trying to get the PS5 day 1. I love it, it's great. But I beat the games I bought already (PS4 backwards compat included). I'm thinking now I probably should've gotten an Xbox first since there's a bigger library of games and series I just haven't even touched due to owning PlayStation every gen.

Anyways hope you and your fiancé get your consoles soon!
I shoulda got both Day 1, but I was also car shopping, so I figured I should hold back. Big mistake.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
How good of a deal GamePass is really depends on your interests and play style.

I play video games a lot, as in spend a lot of time on them.. but in a given year that time is usually divided between just a few titles.. many of them old ones I keep going back to (re-playing RPGs, strategy games, etc.)

I like to dedicate myself to a game or 2, not try a bunch of different stuff on a whim.

There's a chance really getting into GPU that I might change my habits, but it hasn't stuck with me yet.. had GPU for over a year and barely used it, because when I sit down to game I generally know what I want to play, and it's stuff I already own.

There's objectively a ton of content and in that sense it's a "good deal" but w/o the $1 deal I'd probably not have GPU.

That's how I feel.

My gaming habits don't really mesh with a subscription model. I take the 1€ deals if they coincide with a GP release I'm interested in, but beyond that it wouldn't make much sense for me to stay subscribed.

Oct 25, 2017
But is it legal / how is it sustainable / when will the price go up / they will only make GAAS games for it / why do i need to buy an Xbox / there are no games in GP worth playing / i only buy physical so GP is worthless / etc etc etc.

Did i miss anything?

there's too many games so I end up playing nothing because I can't decide

Yes I've seen people say this

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I agree. I only wish the Xbox Rewards program was available worldwide. Or, you know, the Xbox app stopped sending me notifications about it when it's not available in my country.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
PC Gamepass is a faaaaar cry from Xbox Gamepass though. All criticism is legitimate.

Don't strawman me away from the post I was criticizing either.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Gentle reminder that even if we get 'one Gamepass thread every week' as some say, it doesn't hurt anyone and takes around 0.02 seconds to scroll past.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
PC Gamepass is a faaaaar cry from Xbox Gamepass though. All criticism is legitimate.

Thread title is about Gamepass Ultimate and its value. So essentially it encompasses PC, Console and mobile streaming.

I agree that the service is not and should not be above criticism.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is but there hasn't really been anything that made me go it since Gears 5 honestly.

I've tried a few games out but none lasted more than 10-20 minutes.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Pc gamepass isnt as good but i find it offers some different variety than the console , thats why Ultimate is so good for me. So many different kind of games.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think I only really tried Game Pass early on, so I can't say otherwise, but the offering hasn't really appealed to me.

An 'All you can eat buffet' setup doesn't match how I play games. I'm never looking to just 'fill up' on game time. I'll play a small amount of novel indie games and big award winners, and so far Xbox Game Pass' offerings have existed in the middle of that.

But that's just down to value being a subjective quality.
I am currently subbed, because of the 1€ deal, of course at that price value is insane, but at regular price, not so much. The service is good, but that's it. It is great for a portion of gamers, good for them, but as any other subscription service, this isn't for everyone. Game selection is better (despite being a subjective thing) than competition, but price is also higher. I'm using it as a way of trying a few games that i had some interest in. But be careful, not thinking that GP is the best thing in gaming is almost a sin. Even if the selection of games doesn't fit your tastes, you will be told that you are doing it wrong.

I have GamePass until 2022 after repeating the $5 per month trick on PC. I have yet to even play a game on it for more than a few minutes since doing that trick, so that means I've wasted $10-$15 so far. I think it's a much better value if you own an Xbox console, but on PC alone it's not that great.
For me at least, the majority of what it has don't fit my tastes, or I've already played them long ago. Steam is vastly better than the Xbox app on PC as well, so I still prefer to have games there.

I know people love GamePass, but I feel like we're constantly getting new threads of just people talking about how great of a value it is, as if that hasn't already been established a million times already. Not that it's much better that I give the same reply in each one, but we have to keep things in balance, right? 😃

At this point we should just have a GamePass OT where people can just tell each other how great they think it is.
It is better if you own both XB and PC, that for sure, only PC is not great. I can't even play Minecraft which is first party.....

And i was banned for 'accusations of astroturfing' when i said a similar thing in a similar thread like this one , threads that yes, we get very often on top of the official one, and others about new games coming and other GP related topics.

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty great, but do we need a new thread saying the same thing every other week?

Between my son and I, we put enough time into TABS, Slay the Spire, and Sea of Thieves to more than warrant the money paid for Gamepass Ultimate.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
-If you own both an XBox and a PC you end up with so many games you can't probably beat even if you "work" on them 2/7.
-You are able to keep 24 360 games each year, which will stay in your account even if your sub expire. If we consider a fixed price of 5€ per title (since many of those usually have a 20€ price tag, and with a 75% off discount the price is around 5€), there's a 120€ value just for those titles.
-Many D1 releases
-Additional perks (like Disney Plus, sadly this was a one shot thing).
-Last but not least, you can renew your sub for FREE simply by playing the games on the service and spending 5 minutes each day on Microsoft Rewards. I only spent 40€ on the service and I have a sub ending in April 2022.
Yes I am pc and series x this gen only so I am very happy with game pass ultimate. I bought a sub until the end of 2022 with the black friday deal.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
My main issue would probably be how overwhelming it is.
last time I opened the library, found hundreds of games and scrolled around. Got a bit too daunting so I ended up playing the easiest stuff I could find. Tetris Effect and Streets of Rage 4.

I think someone else expressed something similar earlier in the thread.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not probably, it is. Seems pretty hard to debate against it. I don't see anything rivaling it really ever. I don't think anybody aside from MS has the financial muscle to provide a value this good without getting hurt by it.

The only knock against it is if you really, really value actually owning things which I definitely understand.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if it was already asked, but any word on when we can expect the EA stuff on PC? Fallen Order is cheap enough right now on Epic Store, but if I can play it on GamePass in the near future...

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
And it's not really close. Gamepass is a fantastic service for sure.

On the flipside, it also made sure I will never buy a single game on Xbox because "it might get on gamepass"
I got 39 months of gamepass ultimate for ~120$ - I've never invested that little in a any ecosystem ever.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty great, but do we need a new thread saying the same thing every other week?
Whenever I look into threads like these I'm always hoping to see some positivity but I know it'll just end in a shit show. It honestly feels like a lot of these threads are made because they want to fan the flames rather than discuss in good faith (not talking about you OP just in general). Like, I think most people on this forum knows what gamepass is. Do you really think the thread will convince the ones who are stubborn enough at this point? It's just to get people riled up now. And let's be real it's from both the Xbox and PS communities.