• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has the Xbox App / Windows Store done any of this to you:

• Deleted a game but the space never freed up

Votes: 791 30.9%
  • Unable to uninstall a game at all

Votes: 516 20.1%
  • Unable to install a game at all

Votes: 563 22.0%
  • Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall

Votes: 515 20.1%
  • Other

Votes: 283 11.0%
  • Never had an issue with the Xbox App or Windows Store

Votes: 1,221 47.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my gamepass app, and I can't play ANY of my installed games now. All the games say "Play with Gamepass" and clicking on that brings me to the Gamepass subscription page.

My god what next.

Is there any fix for this?

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly happened to you?

Were you able to initially install and play it, but then when a patch came out it disappeared from your Xbox app and you couldn't run it? Do you remember what error it gave you when you tried to reinstall it ?

Exactly. I was able to install everything fine until a patch came out and then could not update. Tried resetting, uninstalling, force uninstalling etc and nothing helped. The initial error if I'm not mistaken was 0x87e00017.

Note that this only happens to specific games, most are still working fine. My theory is that it happens with games that I moved from one drive to another. All of the problematic games are ones that I had initially installed on C and then moved to another drive.

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
I just checked my gamepass app, and I can't play ANY of my installed games now. All the games say "Play with Gamepass" and clicking on that brings me to the Gamepass subscription page.

My god what next.

Is there any fix for this?

Check the MS app store for an update for the app. Something likely got pushed, i've had new app updates every day this week.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Funny story about that. When I was on the phone with MS support, the third level tech that told me I had no option but to format my drive also told me that the reason these games were breaking was because "PCs can't have too many games on them or this happens and they break. That's why Microsoft made the Xbox, and if you play a lot of games you need to get an Xbox".

LOL That's amazing.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The Xbox App is such trash. Doesn't let you move installation, doesn't let you find previous installations. Had to format a HDD to get everything in order because I had to re-install my Windows and Windows wouldn't let me touch 500gb of data of games.

That other time I managed to fiddle around with permissions to get the folders deleted this piece of trash software wasn't able to identify. uPlay, Origin, Steam, Blizzard launcher, Rockstar Launcher, they all have a feature to let you find previous installations or game files but Xbox App doesn't.

It doesn't even let you choose the language of your games. You have to set your PC's region to the desired language so that it would change the language of installed games.

Windows have to seriously rethink its way of treating users. Yeah, 90% of errors are in front of the keyboard board I guess 50% of the time only because Windows is so bad at communicating things and keep things so concealed.

I voted for everything except for never had any issues.

It's not like the app existed for a month. People kept piling shit on the Epic Launcher but that one at least doesn't lock me out of access on my own HDD. And while it doesn't officially support identifying game files you can trick it the launcher into it and make it work. Not so with the Xbox App/Game Pass.

I'm really really annoyed by it.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Downloaded Dragon Quest and DOOM the other day, logged on today to see them gone from my list and apparently uninstalled. Cant find traces of them on my PC at all!

Oct 29, 2017
I had a problem with Sea of Thieves a while back and I believe I ended up uninstalling to reinstall, but it gave me some big push back that felt convoluted as fuck to fix. I ended up figuring out a fix for reinstalling it but don't remember what I did. Is it possible I have the game taking up two times the space? Is there a way I can find that out?

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
The Microsoft Store is so mind boggling bad. First time I got a new laptop with W10, I figured there was something up with the Windows install as the store had a variety of issues. Haha. Nope. Over the past few years, across a bunch of different laptops and PCs and many W10 updates, the Store is still terrible.

Bought a new laptop during Black Friday. Completely clean install of latest W10 build. Store still had random issues with not installing apps or refusing to update existing ones. At this point, it's like a bad joke. No idea what is wrong with it, but it's fundamentally broken.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox App is such trash. Doesn't let you move installation, doesn't let you find previous installations. Had to format a HDD to get everything in order because I had to re-install my Windows and Windows wouldn't let me touch 500gb of data of games.

I only recently figured out that you can move your installations. But of course you can not just use the Xbox app for that. You have to use the system settings and go to "Apps & features".

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Another frustrating thing about the Windows Store is not being able to transfer a game to another computer. I have an HTPC in the living room and it sucks to have to download the data twice for both computers. You can use Fiddler to get the direct url and download the package file, but it's just a pain.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. I was able to install everything fine until a patch came out and then could not update. Tried resetting, uninstalling, force uninstalling etc and nothing helped. The initial error if I'm not mistaken was 0x87e00017.

Note that this only happens to specific games, most are still working fine. My theory is that it happens with games that I moved from one drive to another. All of the problematic games are ones that I had initially installed on C and then moved to another drive.

That is exactly what is happening to me.

The only difference is I never moved a y of the games to other drives.

I tried to do the instructions in that article last night, but got stuck on this step:

solution said:
" (the package name is obtained by running Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName in PowerShell and looking for the full name). You can find them by running dir /AD /s [your full package name here] "

I was able to find the package name, but typing "dir /AD /s [your full package name here]" (and putting the package name with no []) resulted in this error:

bug said:
Get-ChildItem : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument
'NoMoreRobots.GamePreviewDescenders_0.1.39.0_x64__671zbmwb2bw9p'.
At line:1 char:1
+ dir /AD /s NoMoreRobots.GamePreviewDescenders_0.1.39.0_x64__671zbmwb2 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ChildItem], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to do the instructions in that article last night, but got stuck on this step:

I was able to find the package name, but typing "dir /AD /s [your full package name here]" (and putting the package name with no []) resulted in this error:

I had the same issue, it's not clear there

Run that command in command prompt (and not in Power Shell) on the root directory (c:\) and it should work

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized something.

I just calculated how much money I make an hour against how much time I have spent trying to get each one of these broken games to work on Gamepass.

I've actually ended up "spending" about four-five times more than each of these game costs at full retail. And I still can't play the game!

So basically, for me, a game on Gamepass could potentially end up "costing" me 5 times as much as just buying it outright on another platform.

And every game on Gamepass could potentially end up costing me this.

Crazy!

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded Dragon Quest and DOOM the other day, logged on today to see them gone from my list and apparently uninstalled. Cant find traces of them on my PC at all!

Grab SpaceSniffer and run it in admin mode on the drive you installed them to.

If the game data is still on the drive you should be able to see it doing this.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same issue, it's not clear there

Run that command in command prompt (and not in Power Shell) on the root directory (c:\) and it should work

EDIT: That worked, thanks. You also need to run CMD in admin mode for the folders to show up. How do I delete folders outright in the CMD shell? It's been so long since I've had to do that in my DOS days

A few more things:

I'm finding like 10+ entries in the registry for the full Descenders package name ( NoMoreRobots.GamePreviewDescenders_0.1.39.0_x64__671zbmwb2bw9p ).

Should I delete the contents of each of these entries, or delete the actual "folder" with the name of the package on the left side?

For these steps:

• The XML file that matches the app's package name in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\
  • The folder that matches the app's package name in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages\
  • Any entries referencing the app in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppxProvisioning.xml

I can access these directories through an admin CMD shell and see these files, but I get "access denied" when trying to delete them

I don't want to change permissions on the folders to access them because many people have reported that doing so will break the entire Windows store. Is there a way to delete these files without changing access permissions on the folders?

I have DB browser installed, but I don't understand what this means:

How do I run DB Browser as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just updated Windows to version 20H2. All my broken gamepass games still have the same issue, cannot install them and get an error.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
If your system is just to play games and everything else is backed up easily, I'd think the earlier suggestion to Format the Windows System drive was a timer saver suggestion from MS support!

Edit 2: nvm

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
If your system is just to play games and everything else is backed up easily, I'd think the earlier suggestion to Format the Windows System drive was a timer saver suggestion from MS support!

Like I said in the OP, I did that and it worked for a month then the same thing happened again.

Also, to reiterate another point. Save games are extremely difficult to back up for Gamepass games. Many of them don't use cloud backups, and are put into directories named with long strings of arbitrary characters that don't contain the name of the game. I was able to find the names for a few of them through google, but many of them I was just never able to find the save data for. So when I was forced to reformat and reinstall, all progress in those games was lost.

Last edited:

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
A few more things:

I'm finding like 10+ entries in the registry for the full Descenders package name ( NoMoreRobots.GamePreviewDescenders_0.1.39.0_x64__671zbmwb2bw9p ).

Should I delete the contents of each of these entries, or delete the actual "folder" with the name of the package on the left side?

Eh.. You should delete the whole folder if it's named like the package, else just the entries themselves. I think I just deleted what seemed logical (BACKUP BEFORE)

For these steps:

I can access these directories through an admin CMD shell and see these files, but I get "access denied" when trying to delete them

I don't want to change permissions on the folders to access them because many people have reported that doing so will break the entire Windows store. Is there a way to delete these files without changing access permissions on the folders?

If you are a local administrator on your machine, you shouldn't have a problem deleting them in file explorer (that's what I did). If not, you can try doing it in Safe Mode and it should work

I have DB browser installed, but I don't understand what this means:

How do I run DB Browser as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"?

I used Process Hacker to "run as" Db Browser. Once it's running, go to Hacker > run as > put in the file link (C:\Program Files\DB Browser for SQLite\DB Browser for SQLite.exe) and run

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Eh.. You should delete the whole folder if it's named like the package, else just the entries themselves. I think I just deleted what seemed logical (BACKUP BEFORE)

If you are a local administrator on your machine, you shouldn't have a problem deleting them in file explorer (that's what I did). If not, you can try doing it in Safe Mode and it should work

I used Process Hacker to "run as" Db Browser. Once it's running, go to Hacker > run as > put in the file link (C:\Program Files\DB Browser for SQLite\DB Browser for SQLite.exe) and run

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, I am local admin on my machine, but even going into safe mode running CMD in admin mode gives me an access denied error.

Any other ideas other than changing the folder permissions?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I love having GamePass on PC but the Xbox app and Gamepass installation (especially Flight Simulator) is absolute trash and needs to be fixed immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to install flight simulator and got through the first install stage, but when booting up the game i get stuck 'decompressing'. It's literally unplayable and requires you to delete the entire install and try again.

After reading this thread i also went and checked the relevant folders, and i have an old Metro install there eating up 40GB of my hard drive space... i literally uninstalled that game months ago.

I cant find a way to delete it as I'm completely locked out of the folder. Tried adding privileges, but they dont work, and reset after a reboot. The 7zip hack doesn't work for me either.

Really shit

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to install flight simulator and got through the first install stage, but when booting up the game i get stuck 'decompressing'. It's literally unplayable and requires you to delete the entire install and try again.

After reading this thread i also went and checked the relevant folders, and i have an old Metro install there eating up 40GB of my hard drive space... i literally uninstalled that game months ago.

Literally cant find a way to delete it as im completely locked out of the folder. Tried adding privileges, but they dont work, and reset after a reboot. The 7zip hack doesn't work either for me.

Really shit

Can you reinstall Metro? If you can, you can reinstall then uninstall again and see if they gets rid of the 40 gig file.

Also, did you run 7zip in admin mode?

Oct 27, 2017
Can you reinstall Metro? If you can, you can reinstall then uninstall again and see if they gets rid of the 40 gig file.

Also, did you run 7zip in admin mode?

Yep opened 7zip in adminstrator mode. It allows me to see the files, which i couldnt in windows, but still tells me i cant delete anything.

I'll try reinstalling Metro, and seeing what happens.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My suggestion to everyone having these problems is to get in touch with journalists from websites that have direct contact with Windows developers, like Windows Central. I know MS Store issues aren't new, but the ones listed in this thread are very specific. Maybe they can get in touch for a statement, or at very least publish an article that will get Microsoft's attention.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion to everyone having these problems is to get in touch with journalists from websites that have direct contact with Windows developers, like Windows Central. I know MS Store issues aren't new, but the ones listed in this thread are very specific. Maybe they can get in touch for a statement, or at very least publish an article that will get Microsoft's attention.

I'm just floored that there isn't a single article out there about this. Look at the poll, 50% of PC Gamepass users have had these issues.

And those are just the people who actually know it happened to them.

Lots of people who chose "never had an issue" have since scanned their drives and have seen tons of diskspace gone from "uninstalled" games, disk space they cannot get back without either risking breaking their install of windows or reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows outright.

Last edited:

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
So I fired up windirstat and discovered that there's a 65GB directory named MSIXVC on the drive I install gamepass games to. Anyone know what that is and whether or not it's safe to nuke? The only thing I can think of here is that when Gears 5 first launched, the shitty installation software bungled the install and I could never launch it.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a great example of what an absolute pain in the ass it is to backup save games for a lot of Gamepass games:

I mean look at that. There is absolutely no way I would have figured that out on my own.

And if you want to use that save in another store version of the game, wow.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So I fired up windirstat and discovered that there's a 65GB directory named MSIXVC on the drive I install gamepass games to. Anyone know what that is and whether or not it's safe to nuke? The only thing I can think of here is that when Gears 5 first launched, the shitty installation software bungled the install and I could never launch it.

That directory contains the installed data of all Gamepass games you have installed on that particular drive.

It is very risky to delete anything in there, mainly because you need to alter windows permissions to do it. This could break your ability to use ANY gamepass games at all, or do anything with the Windows store.

Also, all of the files in that directory are named total gibberish. The only way to know what file belongs to what game is to hopefully be able to find the installed size of the Gamepass game somewhere online and match that with the file to know which game it is.

This makes it even more difficult to determine if any of that 65 gigs contains games that have been uninstalled and have left data behind.

The only way things really stick out is if they are huge. So if it is Gears, you will notice one of the files in that folder will be very large.

Again though, it may be another game you have installed that has a large data footprint.

Last edited:

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
That directory contains the installed data of all Gamepass games you have installed on that particular drive.

It is very risky to delete anything in there, mainly because you need to alter windows permissions to do it. This could break your ability to use ANY gamepass games at all, or do anything with the Windows store.

Also, all of the files in that directory are named total gibberish. The only way to know what file belongs to what game is to hopefully be able to find the installed size of the Gamepass game somewhere online and match that with the file to know which game it is.

This makes it even more difficult to determine if any of that 65 gigs contains games that have been uninstalled and have left data behind.

The only way things really stick out is if they are huge. So if it is Gears, you will notice one of the files in that folder will be very large.

Again though, it may be another game you have installed that has a large data footprint.
Thanks for letting me know. This sounds like a maddeningly convoluted installation system, one that I can't believe is actually rolled out on a consumer-facing platform.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for letting me know. This sounds like a maddeningly convoluted installation system, one that I can't believe is actually rolled out on a consumer-facing platform.

Yeah. If that 65 gigs is Gears, the only way to safely get rid of it is to reformat the drive it is on and then reinstall Windows. Even reformatting the drive it is on alone isn't good enough, because Windows will still have lots of data about the game in various places, and will most likely make it so you can never re-install the game again.

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Yeah. If that 65 gigs is Gears, the only way to safely get rid of it is to reformat the drive it is on and then reinstall Windows. Even reformatting the drive it is on alone isn't good enough, because Windows will still have lots of data about the game in various places, and will most likely make it so you can never re-install the game again.
Man, not your fault, but that is simply unbelievable as a solution.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Man, not your fault, but that is simply unbelievable as a solution.

There may be an alternate process you can do which I am trying, but it is extremely technical and might ruin your windows install.

As you can see earlier in the thread people are helping me when I run into roadblocks, but if I get through it and it works I'll post about it.

But even if it does work, seeing how convoluted the process is I don't think I would recommend it to anyone who wasnt very confident and skilled in doing what it entails.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I've reached the "We've encountered an error and your subscription has failed to load" part of the story. They really need to fix this shit.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I've reached the "We've encountered an error and your subscription has failed to load" part of the story. They really need to fix this shit.
Yeah, I've previously had basically no issues with Game Pass on PC, but I'm getting this now. Basically all the posts on the support forum are about this, they probably broke something in the most recent update. I can still downloading games via the MS Store app and play them, but jfc, get your shit together MS

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Solution 2 from the link below solved my storage issues when a couple or installs failed but I'm guessing that you've already tried everything by now.

answers.microsoft.com

Xbox game pass PC folder location

Hello guys I got an issue downloading a game: Metro Exodus. I started dowloading yesterday night and decided to pause it since it was a bit late, so I pressed pause and quit the app. The following day

I'm also running bootcamp on an external SSD connected to my iMac so my setup might be more unique than most.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much! Will think of that in the future!

From what I am reading, people suspect that moving your games makes likelyhood of random games breaking much more likely.

Some people are theorizing that moving games IS the reason everything starts falling apart, but it hasn't been confirmed.

I definitely moved a game to another drive before everything started going to hell for me.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The save game thing is why I'm not playing third party games. I get the feeling the Windows Store was never designed to support software subscriptions, which is odd when you consider Office is like their most successful subscription software, which is why it's so jank and things can break when you lose entitlements.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
From what I am reading, people suspect that moving your games makes likelyhood of random games breaking much more likely.

Some people are theorizing that moving games IS the reason everything starts falling apart, but it hasn't been confirmed.

I definitely moved a game to another drive before everything started going to hell for me.
How do you move a game? I thought the files were hidden.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

We know you had a bad experience but this is just not true.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I use a dedicated drive for Windows store games, if you ever have problems just format the drive.

You can always just boot into safe mode and manual delete them anyway.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
We know you had a bad experience but this is just not true.

In my research I've read several accounts of people formatting the drive that had the "uninstallable" game data in the WindowsApp folder. After they did this, they could never install the game again unless they reinstalled windows as well.

Now, I'm not saying that it will happen to everyone who does this, but it has happened.

I think the reason for this is that several things in Windows point to the game data being in that WindowsApp folder, and the installer errors out when it doesn't find it.

See this page to understand how and where Windows keeps all the install information for Windows Store apps:

https://blog.sreb.me/2018/11/28/force-remove-uwp-app/

Last edited:

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
so Brad Sams?

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I spent way too long trying to remove sea of thieves from my PC. It wasn't the first time I had trouble with game pass but it was the hardest to fix.

Haven't downloaded anything bigger than a few gigs now.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea, but maybe?