• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has the Xbox App / Windows Store done any of this to you:

• Deleted a game but the space never freed up

Votes: 791 30.9%
  • Unable to uninstall a game at all

Votes: 516 20.1%
  • Unable to install a game at all

Votes: 563 22.0%
  • Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall

Votes: 515 20.1%
  • Other

Votes: 283 11.0%
  • Never had an issue with the Xbox App or Windows Store

Votes: 1,221 47.6%

• Total voters

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Have you tried geek.exe and force unistalling it? It goes in and uninstalls everything including the registry keys.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried geek.exe and force unistalling it? It goes in and uninstalls everything including the registry keys.

Geek.exe? What is that?

I did try Revo uninstaller, which supposedly removed all data and registry keys for Yakuza 2 but after using it the Yakuza 2 data is still on my drive.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I get that those are problems and I absolutely think Microsoft needs to fix all of it.

Having to fix or re-install windows is not catastrophic. It sucks. It is not a permanent problem or anything.

I think suggesting that others not even try using game pass over this is just absurd.

You also need to reformat the effected drive because even after reinstalling windows the locked windowsapps folder still exists with all the storage taken up by it locked and if you tamper with it you could potentially break your new install of windows.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I get that those are problems and I absolutely think Microsoft needs to fix all of it.

Having to fix or re-install windows is not catastrophic. It sucks. It is not a permanent problem or anything.

I think suggesting that others not even try using game pass over this is just absurd.

I consider having to format and reinstall windows to uninstall games and reclaim HDD space a catastrophic failure and I'm willing to bet a lot of people in here would agree with that. It doesn't have to be like this, it shouldn't be this complicated, why are we jumping through hoops for something so simple?

Jun 22, 2018
I consider having to format and reinstall windows to uninstall games and reclaim HDD space a catastrophic failure and I'm willing to bet a lot of people in here would agree with that. It doesn't have to be like this, it shouldn't be this complicated, why are we jumping through hoops for something so simple?
I absolutely agree that it needs to be fixed.

It doesn't affect everyone and shouldn't scare someone away from even trying game pass.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how structured the entries in the SQLite database are from program to program; hypothetically those manual uninstall steps are straightforward enough that a script could be written to automate the process, provided there's some consistency in the AppX package naming scheme.
The entries you need to delete in the first DB use the exact package name (which is unique) and then in the other DB they use the unique package id (which can be read from the first DB). So it should definitely be doable with a script.

The package name itself is seemingly quite random between publishers, but I would think a script would just take that as a parameter since it's relatively easy to figure out manually.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The entries you need to delete in the first DB use the exact package name (which is unique) and then in the other DB they use the unique package id (which can be read from the first DB). So it should definitely be doable with a script.

The package name itself is seemingly quite random between publishers, but I would think a script would just take that as a parameter since it's relatively easy to figure out manually.

What I don't understand is, why does the installer error out when it queries the SQL database and thinks the game is already installed?

Why wouldn't it just download the game anyways? What is the worst that can happen in that case? All it would be doing is re-downloading the latest version of the game.

The whole thing is just so broken and nonsensical.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Also, I tried to use Revo uninstaller to remove Yakuza 2. It successfully removed all it's registry entries, but it didn't delete the actual game data from the drive. And I don't think it removed the SQL database entries, either.

Is manually uninstalling the game even possible now that it is missing it's registry entries?

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
What I don't understand is, why does the installer error out when it queries the SQL database and thinks the game is already installed?

Why wouldn't it just download the game anyways? What is the worst that can happen in that case? All it would be doing is re-downloading the latest version of the game.

The whole thing is just so broken and nonsensical.

May not actually be the database that's the issue; It's what I've been leaning towards, since it seems like the most... fiddly part, but who knows (besides the people that wrote UWP, I guess). Tough to diagnose without inside info, which it seems no one will ever get because they'll just tell you to reinstall rather than escalate up to development.

Also, I tried to use Revo uninstaller to remove Yakuza 2. It successfully removed all it's registry entries, but it didn't delete the actual game data from the drive. And I don't think it removed the SQL database entries, either.

Is manually uninstalling the game even possible now that it is missing it's registry entries?

Yeah, part of the full manual process would be pulling the registry entries out regardless. Basically having done that just skips the first step.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can edit the database without registry entries but you need to find out the package way somehow. I did just that with Tetris Effect yesterday. When I searched for Tetris in the database it came up with one result that included the full package name (the package name does not include the word Tetris) so I just took it from that.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
May not actually be the database that's the issue; It's what I've been leaning towards, since it seems like the most... fiddly part, but who knows (besides the people that wrote UWP, I guess). Tough to diagnose without inside info, which it seems no one will ever get because they'll just tell you to reinstall rather than escalate up to development.

Yeah, part of the full manual process would be pulling the registry entries out regardless. Basically having done that just skips the first step.

Revo uninstaller actually has a separate tab specifically for Windows store apps.

You would think that they would know how to completely wipe them given their entire business is removing software from PCs.

I'm starting to think that maybe that program can do it all, but unfortunately I wasn't running it in admin mode when I uninstalled Yakuza 2 so it wasn't able to access certain things to correctly remove them. I didnt get any errors from the program though.

And now Yakuza 2 doesn't show up on Revo's Windows App list do I can't try to do it again running in admin mode.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You can edit the database without registry entries but you need to find out the package way somehow. I did just that with Tetris Effect yesterday. When I searched for Tetris in the database it came up with one result that included the full package name (the package name does not include the word Tetris) so I just took it from that.

Oh so there happened to be the word Tetris in the database entry, but the actual package name for that entry didn't have the word Tetris in it?

My god what a shit show.

Very helpful info though thanks.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Lo' and behold, I use WinDirStat for the first time in a while and I see Forza Horizon 3 is taking up 55GB on my SSD shown as 'unknown' with no way to go the folders to delete it. Guess I got some deleting to do.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Lo' and behold, I use WinDirStat for the first time in a while and I see Forza Horizon 3 is taking up 55GB on my SSD shown as 'unknown' with no way to go the folders to delete it. Guess I got some deleting to do.

This problem seems to be even more widespread than even the poll is reflecting.

I wonder how many people have huge amounts of their hard drives invisibly locked from them filled with games they uninstalled but never actually deleted themselves and don't even realize it.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds

I wonder how many people have huge amounts of their hard drives invisibly locked from them filled with games they uninstalled but never actually deleted themselves and don't even realize it.
I did use RevoUninstaller to get rid of it, it worked, but it kept the DLC installed which is 20GB, so I got to find out where that is and get rid of that too.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Did you run Revo uninstaller in admin mode?

Also, are you now able to reinstall the game?
I did, but I didn't check to see if that made a difference. I bought the game originally when it was on sale and getting de-listed. I did install it on my SSD at the time, but never touched it. DLC is still on there, but can't find where it's located, WinDirStat just says C:, and I know for a fact that it's the DLC.

I'm not going to bother reinstalling it until I'm going to go about putting time into it.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I did, but I didn't check to see if that made a difference. I bought the game originally when it was on sale and getting de-listed. I did install it on my SSD at the time, but never touched it. DLC is still on there, but can't find where it's located, WinDirStat just says C:, and I know for a fact that it's the DLC.

I'm not going to bother reinstalling it until I'm going to go about putting time into it.

If you don't mind, can you just try to initiate the install and see if it starts to download? Once it actually starts and you see that data is being downloaded, you can abort it.

I'm just curious to know if the act of using Revo to get rid of it still allows you to download it without getting an immediate error when it starts.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Uhhh, I took ownership of the WindowsApps Folder to see if I had any uninstalled games there before reading that it could lead to serious issues, should I change the permissions back? Xbox App still works for now.

Is there an easy way to reset permissions for the folder?

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
If you don't mind, can you just try to initiate the install and see if it starts to download? Once it actually starts and you see that data is being downloaded, you can abort it.

I'm just curious to know if the act of using Revo to get rid of it still allows you to download it without getting an immediate error when it starts.
It started the download.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I just found another game that broke itself: Descenders.

I just tried using Revo uninstaller on it in admin mode. It removed all the registry entries for it and said it deleted all the data associated with it with no errors.

However, I get an error when trying to install it. The same error all the other broken games have given me.

So, using Revo uninstaller in admin mode to uninstall these games that have broken themselves will not allow me to then install them afterwords.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I've uninstalled some games last week I forgot I even had still installed. And sure enough, MCC still sits there with its 134GB, unfazed by it all.
I don't have GP anymore, so I can't see whether I could even reinstall it.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I removed all non-Gamepass files from one of my 2TB SSD where I also had some files that I could not remove. Used format on that drive and seems all space is available now. I am even able to play Deep Rock Galactic now. Before I could install it, but it would not start at all. Also had problems with Doom Eternal. Reinstalling that one at the moment. Hope this one works as well now.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I had to boot into Linux to force remove some stuff after a clean install of Windows. It was a real pain.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all use the Windows built-in disk cleanup tools, right? Those usually catch anything hanging out in terms of temp files without risking giving a third-party tool the power to potentially fuck up your registry.

Tho for me the app just works, so idk.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all use the Windows built-in disk cleanup tools, right? Those usually catch anything hanging out in terms of temp files without risking giving a third-party tool the power to potentially fuck up your registry.

Tho for me the app just works, so idk.

One of the first "fixes" I tried was to run the disk cleanup tools. They didn't remove any of the games that had broken on my system

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I removed all non-Gamepass files from one of my 2TB SSD where I also had some files that I could not remove. Used format on that drive and seems all space is available now. I am even able to play Deep Rock Galactic now. Before I could install it, but it would not start at all. Also had problems with Doom Eternal. Reinstalling that one at the moment. Hope this one works as well now.

Quite myself here. Doom Eternal also working now.

I think I may have fucked thinks up myself a little. Upgraded my former SSD with a bigger one and just replaced the old one after tryingto copy everything to the new one. (Windowsapps folder of course caused problems)
With steam that never is an issue.

Will just use one specific drive for Gamepass from now on. At least I only have to format it should I notice new problems.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reinstalling windows is a pain in the ass, a big one, so I can easily see why people would say to not bother with gamepass till the issue is fixed.

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
GamePass asks me every time I login to reconfigure my account. Sometimes it won't recognize my gamepass subscription.

The application itself is pure garbage. Takes a ton of time to load a list of games

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Reinstalling windows is a pain in the ass, a big one, so I can easily see why people would say to not bother with gamepass till the issue is fixed.

Like I said before, it's not just reinstalling windows. You need to completely format the drive these broken and inaccessible games are on.

If you just reinstall windows, the locked WindowsApps folder will still exist taking up space on the drive, and messing with it could then corrupt your new install of windows. This folder will also most likely cause further issues with your new windows install similar to what made you reinstall in the first place.

If you have these broken games on your system drive, you then have to back up all your data off the system drive, reformat it, and then reinstall. Which is an even riskier proposition.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly think this is a much bigger problem than it appears. I might even be affected when Tetris Effect refused to update but would still launch, and when The Outer Worlds was gone from gamepass app but still on my desktop and worked. I can't say one way or the other though, as I didn't check my size before I uninstalled TOW and after (same with Tetris) because I didn't think this was a problem.

There has to be some people this is affecting who have no idea it's a problem and not tech savvy enough to even realise it's a problem and just think it's other things taking up space/"windows updates".

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
I feel this is something that should be looked into by some social media influencer, since MS won't even acknowledge this issue before that.

I like Gamepass for trying out things I prolly would entirely miss, but paying a price through ruined hardware isn't something I'm comfortable with. I've had bunch of problems with GP, chiefly not being able to start installed games.

Not savvy enough to prolly understand if my SSD is fracked by the service. I hope it isn't, but, now there's this doubt always in my mind.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
I found a site that's got instructions for full manual removal of UWP apps. The key info is that it keeps information on them in a SQLite database, and you have to go delete info from there (as well as cleaning all the files off the disk and out of the registry) to manually uninstall it. Naturally, like everything else involved with UWP, it's protected, and you need to use something like PSExec to run programs as SYSTEM, in order to modify/delete anything. Not for the faint of heart:

Force Remove UWP App

Note that it's got updated instructions for more recent builds of windows, which is what you'll want to be using. Also, as recommended, you'd likely want to do a system backup (and test a restore!) before doing this, unless you're also ready to just format and reinstall if it blows up.

If it is something you want to go through with, and need a hand, feel free to PM me; I haven't done this specific process, but I've done similar things in the past, and it looks relatively straightforward.

EDIT: Potentially don't need the more recent instructions, depending on what version of windows you're on. Apparently I don't have the 20H2 update yet, so in my case I'd follow the older ones. Although I suspect that's the update that windows wants me to reboot in order to install...

Verifying that this method actually works!

Followed it to the letter and it was pretty stressful, but I can finally re-download Crusader Kings 3 again!

Thank you! (And screw UWP Apps)

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Verifying that this method actually works!

Followed it to the letter and it was pretty stressful, but I can finally re-download Crusader Kings 3 again!

Thank you! (And screw UWP Apps)

What exactly happened to you?

Were you able to initially install and play it, but then when a patch came out it disappeared from your Xbox app and you couldn't run it? Do you remember what error it gave you when you tried to reinstall it ?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Does this issue effect consoles too?

No, consoles are fine.

Funny story about that. When I was on the phone with MS support, the third level tech that told me I had no option but to format my drive also told me that the reason these games were breaking was because "PCs can't have too many games on them or this happens and they break. That's why Microsoft made the Xbox, and if you play a lot of games you need to get an Xbox".

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I had this with Forza Apex or a Forza Demo... I don't remember. Managed to delete the folder by taking over the rights back then.
It freed up the space sure, but as it still showed as installed on the drive, I wouldn't be able to redownload it.

It is terrible, but isn't MS working on redoing the whole Windows store entirely? Maybe it just works then.
Sure, this equates to "hey the wiring in my house has problems, trying to find the exact issue and fixing it seems like a nightmare, so I'm just building a new house with good thought through wiring"... but hey, as long as I'm not paying for the house and it doesn't take 3 years to build it, sure, go ahead Microsoft.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading through this thread, I've never had any of these issues, and I've had Game Pass since last year. I also bought Dead Rising 4 and Gears 4 on the Windows Store. Hopefully, you folx find ways to fix your issues.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed PSO2 through the windows store, when I stopped playing this summer and had uninstall it, it was still taking space on my ssd drive.
Took the nuke option, Formatted the drive, now I can't install anything Microsoft related on that drive from Game pass. Other games from Game pass do install though.