• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of the way Gamepass handle DLCs?

• It's absolutely fine and there is no need to change it.

Votes: 151 30.6%
  • It's mostly fine, but I sometimes have second thoughts about buying DLCs within the service.

Votes: 75 15.2%
  • I don't think it needs to change, but I can see why people might not like it.

Votes: 97 19.7%
  • I don't like it, but I don't see how they could change it.

Votes: 41 8.3%
  • I don't like it, and I'd like Microsoft to try something else.

Votes: 102 20.7%
  • I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • Some other option.

Votes: 4 0.8%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Gamepass is an extraordinary service, and I've played many games that I might have missed otherwise (right now I'm semi-playing Greedfall). What I have not done in this timeframe is play any DLC for those games because I don't feel paying the price for them is worth it.

The way it works is that you have a 10% discount for the DLCs (and the main game if you want to purchase it). The problem is you do not own the game you're purchasing the DLC for. If you ever unsubscribe to the service, or when that game eventually leaves the service, you'll be stuck with a piece of content that you can't access (if I got this wrong please correct me). And then there is the further situation of discounts in storefronts like Steam and the Epic Store, which is not something that can be ignored I believe. To give an exemple, during the last Steam sale it would be cheaper for me to buy Doom Infinite and its Season Pass then to buy the latter alone on Gamepass (plus there is the subscription money).

I've missed quite a few DLCs because of this. And I was wondering if I'm alone in this of if there are more people who end up skipping DLCs for games on gamepass?

Obviously I think it's only fair that they sell the DLC separately, and I'm not in any way saying they should make the DLCs available for subscribers at no extra cost. But I wonder if there can be a better way to handle it? Maybe something like renting DLCs? You play a fraction of the price and have access for a month or something like this.

Or do you guys think it's fine as is?

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. This is where you see Gears 5 Hivebusters being the first piece of "campaign DLC included in Game Pass Ultimate," and it feels like that's the direction they're moving in with first party games. I fully expect all Halo campaign DLC (which I think will be Destiny style expansions), Gears 6 DLC, Outer Worlds 2 DLC, Doom 3 DLC, etc to be included in Ultimate as an upsell. Where that leaves third party games, though, is less clear. I'd love a delineation between DLC and virtual currency, where maybe you save 10% on currency but get a steeper discount on DLC for third party games like you're talking about.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I can see why people don't like that, but it's fine for me. I play games in a pretty disposable fashion as I rarely replay anything, don't collect games (sell--or donate if worth little--physical games when I'm done etc.). So it's all essentially rentals to me.

DLC is something I'm buying to play through once and not touch again once I'm done with the game for good, so it doesn't matter if the base game is something I own or something on Gamepass. Either way I'm going to one and done it and have no resell option for DLC anyway being digital content. It's especially the same as me buying a digital game, buying and playing the DLC for it and then selling the disc game when I'm done with it all. Just like a game that leaves Gamepass, I'm have DLC on my account I can't play. Doesn't bother me as I was just paying to experience the DLC once either way.

That said, I get that it's different for people who want permanent access to DLC they buy. But I kind of view it as a minor issue as people who prefer owning their games are probably mostly not interested in Gamepass or OK going and buying a base game if it's something they want to own and buy DLC for even if it's on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I personally have no problem buying DLC for a game I didn't pay for or own. If it's DLC I think I'll want to play again in the future, I'll just buy the full game, but that's rare. The alternative is me paying 60 dollars for Destiny 2 when instead I can just pay 11 for any season that looks fun, which in the case of Destiny 2 is very rare.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have a problem with it (bought FH4 DLC even though I don't own it, for example), in fact GP probably makes me more likely to buy DLC since it'd be my first investment into a game. I don't have any plans to unsubscribe from GP though.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
The idea is you should buy the game plus the DLC if you want to play it at some point in the future where the game might not be on the service. Your benefit from Game Pass is the access to the game and the discount. They're doing enough.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
One thing they need to fix is how owning DLC that isn't in GamePass can mess up streaming. I can't load my Control save on game streaming, because I own the Ultimate edition, and the streaming version doesn't have it. Because I own that version of the game, I can't stream it on Gamepass. That's less than ideal. So there are actually some other ways it disincentives buying DLC. If you own DLC for a game pass game, that should work for the streaming version too.

I haven't checked if Forza Horizon 4 works the same way with the Lego DLC.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I don't see a problem, devs and publishers probably see Gamepass as a chance to reach wider audience with hopes to maybe get some additional cash through DLC.

I think a special gamepass DLC offer (temporary or not) is not a bad idea, but seems like it would be quite a hassle to implement and update for each game.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The reason third parties will let their games go to gamepass besides getting paid directly by Microsoft is to sell DLC. Take that away and toul get fewer games.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
One thing they need to fix is how owning DLC that isn't in GamePass can mess up streaming. I can't load my Control save on game streaming, because I own the Ultimate edition, and the streaming version doesn't have it. Because I own that version of the game, I can't stream it on Gamepass. That's less than ideal. So there are actually some other ways it disincentives buying DLC. If you own DLC for a game pass game, that should work for the streaming version too.

That's a unique problem with Control because there are two different versions of the game. Standard and Ultimate, and they don't share save files. :-(

Forza Horizon 4 should work fine in this case.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'll never buy DLC for a game I don't own, and I'm not buying anything except gamepass from the microsoft store.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it sucks. I wish at the very least it stated when third-party games were leaving.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always felt like Gamepass was more of a platform for people to check out a game (a promotion), so I see it as, "hey, if you like the game so much, why not buy the DLC... or hey, maybe even the game entirely?" sort of thing.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
First party games absolutely could (or should?) include more DLCs. For third party content, Game Pass is about offering a variety of experiences at a low entry barrier. If you enjoy something tremendously, I can justify that purchase with a good frame of mind. I'd rather have more games than fewer but with DLCs.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I always wondered how this would work with Ark, a game that is already on the Gamepass, which has a few expansions.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
yeah I'm very hesitant to buy DLC for gamepass games
I mostly use GP because it's cheap and wouldn't wanna buy a windows store version of a game to access my DLC

I think including DLC in some more expensive option like ultimate is what I would prefer, that's how it works with ea play/ea play pro and on ubisoft+ that's the only option for €15/month

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

Pretty sure this is because they're different SKUs?

If you owned W3: GOTY and streamed the standard game when it was on GP, you'd have the same problem (I think!)

Oct 25, 2017
I think games are more likely to show up on game pass if there are DLC sales to be gained from it. You always have the option to buy the game if you enjoyed it. I wouldn't be buying DLC for a game if I didn't at least play it first.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand why that'd make you second guess buying extra content.

I've always been fine with it though. My feeling being that if I like the game enough to buy DLC for it, I'll probably just buy the game if it's ever due to leave Game Pass. Or, if I don't like it enough, then I won't buy it. In which case who cares if I can't play that DLC anymore.

And, as you said, you get a discount on the game (and the DLC) just for being a member of Game Pass.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I had no problem buying the VIP pass for Forza Horizon 4 and would have purchased Hivebusters had it not been included with Game Pass Ultimate. I think making additional content something you pay for without having to buy the base game is perfectly fine for normal Game Pass subs and for the extra $5 a month, is a nice perk to have included with Game Pass Ultimate.

I also bought the 2 season passes for Wreckfest since I've ultimately enjoyed the game in Game Pass so much. Don't know if I'll end up buying the base game once we get to the point where it's coming out of Game Pass because by that time I feel I'll probably have gotten everything I want out of the game.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It can make me take pause before buying, but I dont generally find it an issue.

First party games never leave the service, you will likely always have access to Doom Eternal, and games generally become dirt cheap once they leave the service.

If you can get a game on steam + DLC for the same price as the DLC on Game Pass, then go for it. Unless it's play anywhere on Xbox and that matters to you. I do wish the Xbox store had steam-like discounts on bundles of items you already own parts of though.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I get the point, it also doesn't bother me that much. If I really wanted to own a game I feel like I could buy DLC and buy the games I really care about with my discount, or in a sale, and still be getting enough value from Game Pass.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's a unique problem with Control because there are two different versions of the game. Standard and Ultimate, and they don't share save files. :-(

Forza Horizon 4 should work fine in this case.
Nah. It's a problem with the DLC. I'm not talking about the Series X version of the game. You'd run into the same thing if you bought the DLC for the standard version. It syncs my save (because its the same version of the game), but when I try to continue, it tells me I need to own the DLC to load the save, which obviously I do.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think Ultimate should get more stuff, but I don't think anyone expected them to not try and leverage it for additional monetisation.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I get why it can be a problem. I bought Whistleblower for Outlast when I got it for free on PS+, but once I lost PS+ I couldn't play Outlast or the DLC I bought for the game until I resubbed.

I really appreciate things like Hivebusters being included (at least, with my Ultimate sub). Maybe they make that a perk of Ultimate to include the DLC on top of the base games.

I hope first party titles include DLC. Forza including the DLC would be nice, but I assume it doesn't because of licensing. I would be hesitant to buy DLC, but DLC is a way for some devs to get revenue on top of their GP deal. I don't think it should be standard to include all DLC for every game.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I definitely see how it can be a bit of a pain point but overall I think it's fine, at least for me. Most DLCs that are bought outright are pretty much one and done experiences with not a ton of reason to go back and I think if there's a game leaving the service that you've bought DLC for and still plan to continue playing then at that point just bite the bullet and purchase the game with the discount.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I mean this is obviously one of the pillars of income that gamepass is supposed to provide.
People need to open their eyes and realize Gamepass is not made for anyone's benefit except Microsoft's wallet.
You reap what you sow.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It's a problem with the DLC. I'm not talking about the Series X version of the game. You'd run into the same thing if you bought the DLC for the standard version. It syncs my save (because its the same version of the game), but when I try to continue, it tells me I need to own the DLC to load the save, which obviously I do.

This happened to me on a couple of PS Now games too.

I had downloaded some free cosmetic/costume DLCs for Persona 5 on my PS4. It wouldn't let me stream the game on my PC through PS Now because my save file had access to DLC that I couldn't download on my PC through the Windows application. So it just wouldn't let me play it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I get you. I played Forza Horizon 4 through Gamepass and loved it, but never got the expansions because they alone were more expensive than a few months of Gamepass. And Forza is still a first-party title that should stay in the service for long, the situation is even worse for third-parties that might get removed before you get around playing the DLC you bought.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, no way I'm buying DLCs for games I don't own.

It's the reason I didn't played Outer Worlds yet, I prefer to wait a good sale on the Steam bundle.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same disposition, OP. If I want to play a game that drops on PS+ and it has DLC, I will usually wait for the eventual GOTY/Gold edition mega-discount to just buy that instead. I even started going digital-only in gen 7 because how annoying it is to have games and DLC from a different place (disc vs store)

Nov 2, 2019
I feel like that's one of the major reasons for publishers putting games on the service (minus the cash payments of course).

Get people to play the game on Game Pass, entice people to purchase the DLC at a discount while the game is on there, then when the game leaves the service in 6, 12, 18 months etc., it's an incentive to then buy the game in the future because why not, you already own the DLC.

I did this with The Outer Worlds. Played it on Game Pass, loved it, and have bought the DLC. Even though I know it will probably never leave, I picked up the game cheap on sale.

This is why pubs and devs love the service so much and why it doesn't lead to reduced game sales and revenue.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i feel less inclined to buy dlc for games that are on gamepass, since i don't know if they will leave the service and i already played the game, so i don't feel like buying the base game since i already done with it ... yeah, dlc is kind of a problem to me.

for context: played MHW and loved, but i feel less inclined to buy Iceborne since it can be delistet from the service

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I understand why people are hesitant to buy it, but really just don't buy DLC for something you aren't gonna play right away. I even get having a backlog, but buying a virtual token to add to your backlog is kind of silly.

If it's really something you are going to return to later, you can always buy the full game again probably for cheaper anyway.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yeah, that's why I feel like buying DLCs only for games that I know won't leave the service, like Forza Horizon 4.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that if you're buying DLC for a game, you're actually more likely to purchase the game with the 10% discount before it leaves GP. It means you're enjoying the game that much.

I personally don't worry about that because I rarely replay games. So if I buy a third-party DLC and it becomes unplayable on my account, it won't really affect me.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Hard to say really how much the cheap access to loads of games and the buy-only nature of dlc's really affect the overall dlc sales numbers for Game Pass subscribers. Former definitely increases dlc sales to some extent while the latter definitely decreases them.

It's an inconsistency for sure on a subscription service and not the best solution, but hard to say how it could be handled in any other way than the actual game offered being an ultimate edition etc.

At least imo most who subscribe to game pass probably don't buy too many games on top of that. The studied average spending to games just isn't there, and Era users definitely aren't a good indication of how majority of gamers behave.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems if anything they need an additional sub add-on, something like a DLC+, that just entitles you to all DLC/season passes for Gamepass games

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a problem with it (bought FH4 DLC even though I don't own it, for example), in fact GP probably makes me more likely to buy DLC since it'd be my first investment into a game. I don't have any plans to unsubscribe from GP though.

This. Also, if the game leaves the service, then I'll buy it then cheaper than now.

EG I bought all the FH4 DLC because I didn't need to buy the base game. If it leaves (possibly delisted as car sims often are), I'll buy it then for less than I'd have had to when it came out

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I don't mind if I'm gonna play the DLC right away. And I believe most of game sales happen at release, like 80% of it? It's good for the developer to be paid to add a game to Game Pass so more people can buy the DLCs. I think this happened with Doom Eternal.

Oct 27, 2017
Where did I imply that I did not intend to play it? Of course I do. The problem is owning the DLC for a game that I don't own. And if/when that game leaves the service I lose access to that DLC.

Thats the case for any DLC on any platform. If you no longer have the actual game, the DLC is useless. The same thing would happen if you owned a physical disk and bought the DLC separately.
If you lost access to a stand-alone expansion that's a different story.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yes, but I probably won't sub to GP forever.

Forza games are always delisted after some years.

Yeah, when the new one arrives. And by the time the new Forza Horizon launches, I probably won't go back to the previous one. Most games I buy I only play onces and never touches it ever again, so I won't feel bad if I won't be able to access those DLCs.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I just checked and I can access the Fortune Island and LEGO expansions in Forza Horizon 4.

Forza games are always delisted after some years.
They are still playable after they are delisted, but FH 4 is the first one that launched on Game Pass so it remains to be seen how they handle the license if/when it is delisted.

Last edited: