• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you steer?

• Push left/right

Votes: 281 90.9%
  • Push up, then rotate left/right

Votes: 28 9.1%

• Total voters

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This is a dumb thread, but one I feel compelled to make. I've been playing racing games my whole life. It's not my favourite genre, but who doesn't like a good race now and then? Anyway, I'm playing on a PS4 controller, and racing how I usually do, steering left and right with the left stick. But sometimes I feel uncomfortable, like I'm not handling corners properly. Like I could be better. I figure most of the time it's just fatigue in my hand, it's good to have breaks. A gaming wheel would of course be ideal, but I'm not that dedicated, and I can't even drive in real life, I would probably be terrible with the clutch, etc. Maybe one day.

Anyway, the point is, I felt like maybe there was a way to improve my technique on the gamepad, and googled for ideas. Then I saw some people have the left stick pointed upwards all the time, then move it left/right gradually in an arc, almost like steering a wheel. As opposed to just poking the stick directly left/right when needed.

This...seems to make sense. How have I never tried doing this all these years? Have I been using a controller incorrectly? Is this how you're meant to play racing games on a pad?

So, dumb question: for everyone who plays racing games on a gamepad, how do you steer with the left stick? Just push the stick left/right, or have it pushed upwards all the time and rotate it left/right in an arc?

EDIT: just want to add, I'm intrigued by the push/rotate technique, because when I race I find myself pushing diagonally a lot which fucks up my steering. So if I'm heading into a right corner, I might push the stick to the right and then downwards by accident, which affects the steering, screwing me over. As you hold the controller in your hand the angle of it constantly changes, which is obviously the massive disadvantage compared to a static racing wheel attached to a table, etc.

EDIT EDIT: Ok, just tried the rotate method and it was very uncomfortable and probably give you RSI even faster than usual lol...

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
unless it's a game where you accelerate by pushing up on the left stick, i just push left and right, i don't round the top

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Push forward ? Nah that just seems like an extra, and limits how fast you can change from left to right. Maybe for slight precision movements if you move the stick to fast it might help, but nah.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've considered the second method, but never really given it a solid try. I just gently move the stick left and right.

On another note, one Summer I spent so much time playing Gran Turismo 5 that I got RSI in the finger I used to hold the R2 trigger down to accelerate, so I taught myself to use the right analogue stick for acceleration.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Never thought about pushing forward while turning to make finer control more feasible. But it might be too tiring after a while

I don't play any racing games where that matters much though, just Mario Kart. I do notice how weird my driving looks in open world games while driving using a game pad though, a lot of minor correcting while trying to drive straight.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
tap tap tap tap tap tap crap the other way tap tap tap

This is my racing career summed up nicely.

On another note, one Summer I spent so much time playing Gran Turismo 5 that I got RSI in the finger I used to hold the R2 trigger down to accelerate, so I taught myself to use the right analogue stick for acceleration.

Yeah, racing games are the worst when it comes to RSI, because you're so intently focused on the race you're not aware how hard your pushing down the trigger.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up on Mario Kart 64. I'm gonna slam that stick left and right with as much force as my thumb can leverage and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I don't push forward, never have. Seems like a lot of extra effort to me, I guess its something you can try to see if it works better for you though. I just push the stick left and right. I have a grip which effectively makes the stick a lot longer, so I can be more precise with how much steering I want to apply. Its also very grippy so I can hold the steering in place easily for long corners.

Trying to be smooth is usually the key, unless you're playing GTAV where its weirdly best to keep flicking the the stick to the side over and over rather than holding it in place.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
When I first started using the analog stick for racers after being used to using the dpad for Gran Turismo, I would push forward and rotate since it was easier for me that way to get more gradual turns. I'm pretty sure I even played Forza Motorsport 3 entirely with the DPAD and A/B as accelerate/brake (it was a setting in the options).

I've gotten used to it now, and I just go left/right now.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Just left/right, but if you're not great at being precise with small adjustments you might find arcing easier.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Can't say I've ever had any issues just pushing left and right.....never even considered pushing forward.Might try it when the new Grid game drops in October.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Push forward ? Nah that just seems like an extra, and limits how fast you can change from left to right. Maybe for slight precision movements if you move the stick to fast it might help, but nah.
This. In most games I've played it doesn't do anything to help you further. Just sounds like a massive hindrance.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few years since I played GT or DriveClub, but I did use the stick-forward method. It does give finer control, and it is kinda tiring.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Other: gentle movements then lightly let off thumbgrip of stick to go neutral. Used analog since the OG dual analog controller

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I've tried pushing up and then left or right to turn but it is really hard to push straight up which means in some games you'll be turning slightly left or right. So now I just push left or right to turn... Or use my wheel.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the problem is with the game you play? I have found that most racing games somehow feel like the don't give you full control and you start fighting the controls and not the game.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I flick left and right for minute changes and hard left or right for turns...

Probably due to starting out racing on a D-Pad instead of thumb sticks.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I only push forward in games where you guide it, like top-down racers.

Do you lift the thumb off the stick though?

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I'd only use up and then left-right to turn if it was a retro game I was controlling with a Joystick.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Never thought about pushing up first, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Could be worth a try.

That said I don't feel like having any issues with just pushing left/right, but who knows..

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Had to add an edit to my OP, because I just did a time trial in Bahrain on F1 2019 using the up/rotate method and it was pretty damn uncomfortable. There might have been a little more accuracy in turning, but continually pushing up is really tiring, and made me swerve left/right too much by accident on straights.

Guess I'm sticking to the usual poke left/right method then! I do hate that I accidentally push the stick diagonally and downwards during corners though, I'm sure it's affecting my steering by ensuring I'm not turning the car fully. Not sure what to do about it. Sometimes my controller is facing towards me, sometimes it's horizontal with the plane, depending on how I'm sitting.

EDIT: maybe I should investigate a replacement controller, the type that has the left stick higher than the right?

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
In racing games just left and right. But in red dead when I'm controlling the horse that's an up and roll around for me. Better control of the horses turns that way

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this would be a tapping vs. smooth steering thread.

I never push up because then you are always needing to steer to some degree so you can never relax. Tapping is slower than smooth steering because you lose grip from the fast steering and also sucks for curves, however it is easier to do and most like the old d-pad style. For best speed you want to smoothly steer but it's harder because you have the full steering of a wheel on a little stick controlled by you thumb.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I use D pad when I have to use a controller but getting a wheel was such a great investment. You're playing F12019 right? Idk if that let's you control with the d pad because it's already used for other actions but you might be able to re map.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I only use the other method in bike racers where there is weight transfer.

One of things we check in playtesting is how people turn, whether they tap or use a more analogue steering method. We then try to make sure both methods work well when setting things up.

OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I use D pad when I have to use a controller but getting a wheel was such a great investment. You're playing F12019 right? Idk if that let's you control with the d pad because it's already used for other actions but you might be able to re map.

One day, in the far future, I will get a wheel. Then I'm sure after experiencing the wheel, the idea of going back to a gamepad will probably make me recoil in horror.

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Smooth steering, smooth braking and acceleration and hitting a good apex is the key to being fast on a hot lap but it's not always that simple in a race when there is people around you and pressure online. Judging grip levels etc is pretty easy on Xbox One with the vibration in the triggers, also don't play with traction on since it's basically a brake and you're at least 2-3s faster if you can play without

ReapZ

Oct 27, 2017
One day, in the far future, I will get a wheel. Then I'm sure after experiencing the wheel, the idea of going back to a gamepad will probably make me recoil in horror.
It's not that bad. Ive used both a g25 and a g27. And while they take up a lot of space and are really fun to use, I find the controller to be a little more relaxed, even though it's not as precise and trying to use clutch on a pad is horrible.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
It's a whole different beast that has its own challenges but has improved my racing A LOT. I also got super into F1 this season and the netflix doc and stuff and that's what finally pushed me over the edge to get a wheel and F12019

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I find steering with sticks is worse than using the D-Pad.

Old-school steering with a D-Pad was easily the best input method - pressure sensitive analogue D-Pad during the PlayStation 3 generation - because applying pressure downward is way more controllable than applying the right sense of pressure left or right on a stick. Usually I'd end up applying way too much pressure, especially when there are swift direction changes in track layout or overtaking.

It's why Gran Turismo has a remarkably good system for players still using a D-Pad for steering. They have the right sensibilities programmed in to the mechanism to ensure it compensates and drives just how I want it to.

I not even sure if I will ever get used to using a stick...but saying that I hated using a steering wheel as well. It's just so fake to me.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been a top pad racer on GT5, set the fastest time in the world on one of the seasonal events, I always steer from side-to-side.

On twitchy cars a pad is preferable for me but on grippy cars where precision and fewer steering inputs are required I'm faster with a wheel.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Racing games are generally designed with side-to-side in mind with dynamic sensitivity.

Oct 28, 2017
Just pushing the stick left and right when I'm on a controller. It's a bit awkward so I might try this other method the next time.
Back in the day in GT4 I always preferred the dpad with the pressure sensitive face buttons, it just made more sense somehow in that game than fumbling around with the sticks.
But when there's a chance, just use a wheel. Even if it's a cheap one like my trusty Logitech Momo Racing (ok not so trusty since the pedals are pretty crappy after all these years).

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Just left/right. I used to like playing racing games on PC with a joystick, pushing up to accelerate and back to brake but I haven't played them like that in years.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I have been using push forward all my life and honestly thought everybody did.

This might explain why i am unbeatable in Mario Kart and Burnout 3.

I do however suck at Gran Turismo or other simlike racers.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a more pecise controlling method that didn't require a massive wheel.
If gamepads had an extra analogue control input, which would be a collar/ring that went around the left stick or D-pad area that was spring loaded so it returned to its original position, and it could rotate up to 90°. It could have a rubber or rough surface for grip. That would be excellent. That surely would be useful for many games as well as driving games. Does anyone make such a thing?

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
If I'm playing a GT:Sport or Assetto Corsa I push the stick up, if I'm playing Mario Kart I just use left right.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I used to push forward on the stick as a kid because I had little patience and just wanted to will my car forwards.

Didn't know people still did this as adults lol