• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
detectivedevito.jpg

"We definitely thought about it and how it might inform the spirit of it. Danny is incredible by the way. I am a huge fan of Danny DeVito," Boyter says.

When they were thinking about who to cast as Pikachu, VFX producer Greg Baxter says he and his team took lines from assorted actors' past roles and animated an early version of Pikachu to the audio to see how it looked. Danny DeVito was one of the actors they did a test for. "It was really very funny, so I couldn't speak to all the reasons why it wasn't Danny DeVito cast," Baxter says. "I love Danny and some point maybe after the movie comes about, we can share those early tests. It's absolutely hilarious."

Boyter also offered up a strange, cryptic tease saying, "I can't give away too much, but in terms of where the story goes and how it evolves, we had to sort of look at everything, including what fans weren't seeing yet to make the decision. But that spirit of Danny DeVito, I promise you, is still inside of Pikachu." When I said that sounds like a great quote for the movie's poster, Boyter laughed and said, "By the way, Ryan would probably love that."
Link

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely need to do a directors cut or ultimate cut release with Devito dubbing over the voice.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Oh my fucking god it's literally what everybody was asking for.

I mean I'm not hating on the Reynolds end product but damnnnnn we lost the dream.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You cast Ryan cause you need a big name

But I swear to god if they do something like cast Devito as Detective Pikachu's dad I quit life cause it's not topping that

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
lol I guess Ryan Reynolds works better since Detective Pikachu is supposed to be suave and smooth (or at least he thinks he is)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
"It was really very funny, so I couldn't speak to all the reasons why it wasn't Danny DeVito cast," Baxter says.

I will

Ryan Reynolds just grossed $1.6 billion at the box office playing weird quirky comedic cartoon character. Danny DeVito did not

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ryan Reynolds must sell a movie to the mainstream more than DeVito, so I get it, but god the movie would have been even more of a meme machine

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea...we can just say because RR has the big hollywood name. Danny Devito isn't going to bring in hundreds of millions.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
"The spirit of Danny DeVito lives on in Pikachu"

Oh my god DeVito is going to be Pikachu's dad or something, isn't he?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I think it would likely have been a better film with Danny DeVito voicing him...but Ryan Reynolds is obviously more marketable.

Still..they could always get DeVito for a sequel as a different Pokemon detective, with both racing to solve the crime.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Ryan is doing a better job though but Devito would also work in the same role but I'd pick Ryan everytime.

When RR says pika pika in a sad voice was so cute

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
What if the next movie has talking Pikachu Danny Devito with talking Pikachu Ryan Reynolds?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*magnumdong.png*

God I hope they used that Always Sunny audio line for the VFX test...

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Bring Danny DeVito back! There is still time. Reynolds is the worst casting for a character after Cavill got cast as Geraldo.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
So you're telling me we were this close to true universal happiness but some fucker said "no, please wallow in sadness forever instead..."

I'm having a true Evangelion moment right now.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they need to have another talking Pikachu, whether it's his dad or what, show up in the sequel and be voiced by DeVito.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to see Detective Pikachu's slobby brother Detective Raichu in the sequel

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how the source material goes, makes sense they went with the middle aged star in Ryan Reynolds.

Still a shame though.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really hope there's a Cameo in the film with another Pikachu voiced by Danny Devito.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Aww come on, we nearly got the perfect man for the job and ended up with Ryan Reynolds just because his name has more pulling power.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If at the end Pikachu
is the father
I can understand that they prefer Ryan Reynolds to do the role