• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I always activated the item anyway in the recent games. That's how recent JRPG also do.
Except in other RPGs, any new team members you get will probably have their level averaged to fit with your party (or for a game with less qol, at least be in the range of whatever the last boss was), in Pokémon, you almost always have to grind up to have new moms fit your team.

Also this feature is literally just what the Exp Share has been since Gen 6

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm personally fine with this as I don't have anywhere close to enough free time not to use Exp. Share, but taking away the option for people who don't want to use it sucks and seems totally unnecessary.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with it since it allows me to train larger teams and evolve pokemon I don't wanna use for pokedex completion, but I can certainly understand why some would want the option to disable it.

Sad and kinda hilarious that they manage to get people at each other's throats even with this topic though lol.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shared party EXP and bench EXP is becoming more and more standard to RPGs. That game everyone likes to say is better than Pokémon, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, gives EXP to your three active members and everyone sitting on your reserves. To the best of my knowledge, they don't allow you to turn that off either.

you all wanted Pokémon to modernize. This is what that looks like.
Literally no one in this thread said anything like this.

Who are you arguing with? The last thing I want is for Pokémon to copy other games that play nothing like it (and are inferior imo, like the Digimon games), and "modernizing" means nothing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
there's no reason to keep it, either, as being able to turn it off didn't really address any of the issues people had with XY's difficulty, and Sun and Moon rebalanced opponents levels and EXP gain compared to its predecessor.

Shared party EXP and bench EXP is becoming more and more standard to RPGs. That game everyone likes to say is better than Pokémon, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, gives EXP to your three active members and everyone sitting on your reserves. To the best of my knowledge, they don't allow you to turn that off either.

XY were easy games but they are literally brain dead with EXP share on. Your team is 10-15 levels above the enemy by the end of it. Most other JRPGs with EXP sharing are not that easy. They aren't doing this to make the games harder, I can tell you that much.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
And if your concern is less the EV balancing and more that it's ultimately going to make the game worse because it's "easier", then maybe you're clutching too hard onto mechanics that are inherently flawed if repetitive grinding is your only supplement for enjoyment. Pokémon could stand to do a lot better if the lack of Exp Share stands as an exponential improvement.
You never have to grind in pokemon without exp share, in sun/moon it's easy enough that you can just cruise gym to gym.

Feb 22, 2019
I'm cool with it since it allows me to train larger teams and evolve pokemon I don't wanna use for pokedex completion, but I can certainly understand why some would want the option to disable it.

Sad and kinda hilarious that they manage to get people at each other's throats even with this topic though lol.
Because this is removing options. You could already use this exp share in Gen 6 and 7, but it was optional.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Zero, but it defaulted to on. You have to know there's no real chance game freak rebalances the exp system around it so I don't know why you're wasting everyone's time by arguing they might.

You're wasting your time not me so gtfo with that shit. At one point there was also no chance of Game Freak having a rotatable camera and there was no chance of Game Freak cutting Pokemon from the game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
XY were easy games but they are literally brain dead with EXP share on. Your team is 10-15 levels above the enemy by the end of it. Most other JRPGs with EXP sharing are not that easy. They aren't doing this to make the games harder, I can tell you that much.
Yep. People are going to walk through the games.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game is balanced arount that, exp share makes the game too easy

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news! I love having less options in my video games.

The praise here for this is really baffling.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They keep adding more and more grind as they open up Pokemon stats to be more customizable, and the one time they simplify a way to lessen that load, it's suddenly disgusting and removes all challenge and options from the game.

It's not like there's several hundred Pokemon to form strategies and switch out from to be levelled up when they are sitting in a PC or bank.

I can get the toggle arguments, but it's improvement that this is the default now with all the additional training (that is still monster specific) they've thrown in since X/Y. Plus, that can lead to balancing issues in a game series that doesn't see too many patches outside of anything game breaking.

Speaking of balance, hopefully they've accounted for this in their design, unlike in the past.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XYs exp issues haven't been a thing for a while now so miss me on that one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're wasting your time not me so gtfo with that shit. At one point there was also no chance of Game Freak having a rotatable camera and there was no chance of Game Freak cutting Pokemon from the game.

And maybe unicorns will drop from the sky and give everyone infinite amounts of candy on demand.

It's just as likely

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Yeah, and this isn't XY. Sun and Moon made me have to rethink multiple bosses in comparison. The challenge was more comparable to previous games in the series.

But yes, other games will typically be harder; that's why I said Pokémon is usually easy compared to most other games. On other titles, you'd probably struggle against bosses multiple times. With Pokémon, it's like "one or two times, maybe three in an outlier"

Oct 26, 2017
there's no reason to keep it, either, as being able to turn it off didn't really address any of the issues people had with XY's difficulty, and Sun and Moon rebalanced opponents levels and EXP gain compared to its predecessor.

You are being incredibly obtuse like holy shit. You're just throwing shit arguments on the wall to see what sticks without properly taking context into account.

The reason people complained about XY's difficulty was because the base game was already easy without Exp Share, add Exp Share and all of a sudden, you'll find yourself 20 levels above the E4 (I tried this myself) and consistently overleveled for the entire campaign with zero grinding and only engaging in trainer battles. Sun and Moon fixed this but they opened another can of worms by reverting to Gen V's Exp System, which meant that grinding was a must at certain periods of the game since Exp scales with your level (the higher your level, the less Exp you yield. The lower your level, the greater the Exp you yield).

The thing about mentioning standard RPGs, is that they balance their game around what they're going to do with Exp yields. Pokemon has not shown good balance for a very long time (gym leaders with little Pokemon, underdeveloped movepools, poor IVs, no EVs, etc), which makes it rather strange how people are accepting this as the norm when Gen VI and VII had such varying problems with Exp yields and overall balance of the game. Furthermore, mentioning Digimon: Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory is especially hilarious because you fail to account that the whole point of levels being so accessible, is the fact that there are digivolution requirements that will have you consistently devolving and digivolving in order to access and boost certain stats, which makes leveling less of an issue than in a regular RPG like Pokemon.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'll never get these "it's a JRPG standard". Most JRPGs don't have EVs, hidden stats that affect how your will Pokemon perform, especially in the competitive scene.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
EXP Share has been a thing for the past couple of gens and it defaults to on, so unless I'm missing something here this is just removing an option. I don't see that as a positive.

Gamefreak gonna Gamefreak though. Anyone expecting something like 'well now they'll balance the game for it' should prepare to be disappointed.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, and this isn't XY. Sun and Moon made me have to rethink multiple bosses in comparison. The challenge was more comparable to previous games in the series.

But yes, other games will typically be harder; that's why I said Pokémon is usually easy compared to most other games. On other titles, you'd probably struggle against bosses multiple times. With Pokémon, it's like "one or two times, maybe three in an outlier"

I never used EXP Share in Sun/Moon either though. I played the game just fine without it. I wouldn't mind at all if the games stayed in that area of difficulty, but even S/M would be a joke with EXP Share. Nobody is asking for this to be Dark Souls. But a lot of us enjoy team management and taking advantage of type weaknesses. It's satisfying to beat a Pokemon 7-10 levels above you because your Pokemon has the right moves.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
A Pokemon suddenly evolving when you've not used them in a fight is just weird to me .

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can easily tell those who haven't touched a pokemon game after X and Y in this thread and those who have.

Either it should be optional, or the games should be balanced around it, the past games have notoriously been very easy to break any challenge with EXP Share. In X and Y had 2 fully evolved starters before even beating Korrina, now one can Mega Evolve and I get another Mega Evolve pokemon on top of that? All the difficulty disappeared after that point, I had to do a team-reshuffle. And I was still overpowered again by the the final Flare battles. Turned EXP Share off beyond that, never touched Let's Go, but I know most people actively went against using their god-tier starter and catching more than one of each pokemon in that game to not be overleveled and break things.

In before "But pokemon games are never hard". Yeah yeah, I know they are generally easy. But I would at least like the threat of getting whited out if I play dumb or enter a battle unprepared.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get these "it's a JRPG standard". Most JRPGs don't have EVs, hidden stats that affect how your will Pokemon perform, especially in the competitive scene.
No you see, you're now an Elitist Gamer for pointing out how Pokémon plays nothing like other RPGs where you can't oneshot bosses with only type advantage.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
You are being incredibly obtuse like holy shit. You're just throwing shit arguments on the wall to see what sticks without properly taking context into account.

The reason people complained about XY's difficulty was because the base game was already easy without Exp Share, add Exp Share and all of a sudden, you'll find yourself 20 levels above the E4 (I tried this myself) and consistently overleveled for the entire campaign with zero grinding and only engaging in trainer battles. Sun and Moon fixed this but they opened another can of worms by reverting to Gen V's Exp System, which meant that grinding was a must at certain periods of the game since Exp scales with your level (the higher your level, the less Exp you yield. The lower your level, the greater the Exp you yield).

The thing about mentioning standard RPGs, is that they balance their game around what they're going to do with Exp yields. Pokemon has not shown good balance for a very long time (gym leaders with little Pokemon, underdeveloped movepools, poor IVs, no EVs, etc), which makes it rather strange how people are accepting this as the norm when Gen VI and VII had such varying problems with Exp yields and overall balance of the game. Furthermore, mentioning Digimon: Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory is especially hilarious because you fail to account that the whole point of levels being so accessible, is the fact that there are digivolution requirements that will have you consistently devolving and digivolving in order to access and boost certain stats, which makes leveling less of an issue than in a regular RPG like Pokemon.

so what's the excuse in Tales games? You're not evolving up and down in that game. Dragon Quest? Pretty standard RPG. Nah, this is a thing that's pretty much a given for this genre now.

And the Story series is full of drawn out busy work and is heavily to its detriment, just FYI. It's evolution system being the chief reason why.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
so what's the excuse in Tales games? You're not evolving up and down in that game. Dragon Quest? Pretty standard RPG. Nah, this is a thing that's pretty much a given for this genre now.

And the Story series is full of drawn out busy work and is heavily to its detriment, just FYI. It's evolution system being the chief reason why.
Pokemon. Isn't. Every. Jrpg.