• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of respect for Parris, and I totally get that he just wants to be hype about the game and not engage with negative news about CDPR. He's free to do that as far as I'm concerned. But you've got to stop short of attacking people who are bringing up valid information just because you don't want to know it. Jason is not reporting this story to harsh Parris' buzz.
So why exactly do you have a lot of respect for him? What's so respectable about being a mindless, paid for hype man?

I didn't even know who the guy was before this thread, but even your description of him makes him sound like a manchild, lol.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that anyone would believe that Jason's reporting was overblown is weird to me.

The industry has such a long history with crunch and CDPR themselves have a history with horrible crunch on Witcher 3 that caused them to shed talent. Why CP 2077 would be some magical outlier in regards to overworking devs makes little sense.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Do not play Cyberpunk.

Do not play Cyberpunk.

Do not play Cyberpunk.

2lek.gif

nooo! I've been brainwashed into hating cyberpunk!

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Its tricky, because I really do think there are probably a lot of people at CDPR, high and low on the totem pole alike, who legitimately take a lot of pride in their work, are probably like- lets finish this game and get it out in November, its already been delayed extensivelyfrom earlier this year and it would be really BAD had it been delayed again (remember, this is technically a last gen game being released right at the dawn of a new console generation, already a little less than ideal, and if it got pushed into 2021 that would really make it hairy (and make the calls for them to just release it native for PS5/Series X all the louder.

But i'm sure there's also plenty with family and other priorities that would rather work normal hours. They might be a silent minority, or maybe even more of a majority (but just afraid to speak up) so they say "lets crunch!" while they are crying on the inside- and that does indeed suck.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I hope that CDPR, along with all other game developers are able to collectivize and have a democratic voice in the workplace so that those who do not wish to crunch, which I'm sure is a lot of them, are able to do so without fear of reprisal.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah. I'm in the industry, I've crunched, I'll play Cyberpunk. Jason doesn't speak for all devs, as much as he'd like to think he does.

It's not as black and white as some of you think it is.
it is very black and white. happy employees don't get to shutdown documented mistreatment or exploitation of their colleagues.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the circumstances of why they reached out is important...

Did employees of CD Project Red specifically reach out to Jason Schreier because they felt they were treated unfairly and needed to get their story out or did Jason Schreirer reach out to employees of CD Project Red so he could interrogate them specifically with the angle of writing another story workplace crunch.

The comments Game Informer made directly point to it being much more the latter than the former.

I can't speak for employees of CD Project Red but given my own circumstances and how I work in my day to day life I would have no issue if my employer asked of me what CD Project Red asked of its employees... I might privately quibble in the midst of it all but as long as I was being paid fairly for the hours I worked I'd have no issue doing it.
You're just questioning motives and disingenuously putting yourself in a hypothetical and concluding "I wouldn't have any problem with it," when the reporting is that some CDPR employees have been working nights and weekend for upwards of a year. This does not answer for the dozens of contacts Schreier's reporting sources as people clearly not nearly as happy as you pretend you would be.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, I don't ever think I have seen journalists come out and defend a company for crunch like this. Not only that, trying to frame the person that reported on it a certain way is disgusting. Keep shilling "journalists" keep shilling. I hope that Cyberpunk chair you're twirling around in is comfortable.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nah. I'm in the industry, I've crunched, I'll play Cyberpunk. Jason doesn't speak for all devs, as much as he'd like to think he does.

It's not as black and white as some of you think it is.
Pretty sure that was a prod at the notion of being brainwashed not to play Cyberpunk.

Oct 29, 2017
So why exactly do you have a lot of respect for him? What's so respectable about being a mindless, paid for hype man?

I didn't even know who the guy was before this thread, but even your description of him makes him sound like a manchild, lol.

He's entertaining and insightful on his podcast and I enjoy listening to him.

He's excited and positive about the game and that's fine. Attacking a reporter just for criticizing his favorite dev is not fine. If he doesn't have something valuable to add to the discussion, just don't comment on it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess the circumstances of why they reached out is important...

Did employees of CD Project Red specifically reach out to Jason Schreier because they felt they were treated unfair ily and needed to get their story out or did Jason Schreirer reach out to employees of CD Project Red so he could interrogate them specifically with the angle of writing another story workplace crunch.

The comments Game Informer made directly point to it being much more the latter than the former.

I can't speak for employees of CD Project Red but given my own circumstances and how I work in my day to day life I would have no issue if my employer asked of me what CD Project Red asked of its employees... I might privately quibble in the midst of it all but as long as I was being paid fairly for the hours I worked I'd have no issue doing it.
Maybe read Jason's reporting. The disappointment and exasperation is from the devs, and they chose to give him internal emails to prove that CDPR's public claims about crunch weren't upheld.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people comparing working extra hours and getting well paid for it to being kidnaped.

ok.
I wonder how much is "well paid" for people giving their lives to multimillion companies that are shit in management.
Oh, right. There is no equivalent.

Is "an immeasurable social pressure and crippling fear of being unemployed and with no opportunities in one's field" enough of a parallel to you?

His agenda is basically crunch is unacceptable under no circumstances, but there are circumstances and situations where it is and can be acceptable and I think most people working any job with hard deadlines can attest to this. I'm not anywhere near the gaming industry and I've certainly encountered my fair share of crunch.
No, it's not.

Signed: Someone working in a different industry with crunch due to people that thinks like that (And they end up doing it like a badge of honor among their peers. Guess how they end? With their mental and physical well-being compromised.)

Let the management be responsible for their ineptitude and the companies feel the consequences.

Why should we be creating excuses for the rich people that benefit from this toxic culture?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Exactly. Opinions.

Which is exactly my point. It's not a black and white situation. Opinions vary depending on who you speak to.
It's black and white if happy people are dragging down and facilitating the unwanted crunch, exhaustion, and exploitation of their colleagues. It should stop if we repeatedly see it happening to multiple people who didn't want it. Which is exactly what is being seen.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Opinions.

Which is exactly my point. It's not a black and white situation. Opinions vary depending on who you speak to.
Just because you're okay with being exploited doesn't mean the situation isn't black and white. Workers being forced to sacrifice their time, health and personal lives as part of a corporation's agenda is not good. Period.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
User banned (permanent): alt account, history of infractions for hostility and disruptive behaviour

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
Seems weird and gross that Game Informer is doing this for CD Projekt Red.

Why are they carrying water for them?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, I don't ever think I have seen journalists come out and defend a company for crunch like this. Not only that, trying to frame the person that reported on it a certain way is disgusting. Keep shilling "journalists" keep shilling. I hope that Cyberpunk chair you're twirling around in is comfortable.
"journalists"

these are paid shills, literally employed by a retailer to hype up games for them to sell.

they don't deserve this kind of attention honestly

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Exactly. Opinions.

Opinions will always vary about literally any topic imaginable - 2020 has proven this if it wasn't proven before.

That doesn't mean there isn't a clear ethical side of the debate.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, so?

If you guys had your way, you'd ban me for even playing the game.

Or worse, arrest me for buying it
There's no general consensus in here at all that boycott's or consumers hold the solution, and that you shouldn't buy the games or be allowed to like the product. Most of us are very clear that this is a regulatory and managerial issue affecting worker's rights, and it needs consistent enforcement. You are making stuff up and being petty to defend your products.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Informer: "You know this whole 'the president is sick' story is completely overblown! The administration PR team reached out to us and set the record straight! Sounds like the media has an agenda to me!"

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This thread and of course Twitter is just so fucking sad to read.

Like, some of the people here, stop literally 1 minute, and think, if Jason reported this, it's because people INSIDE CDProject Red gave him the info about crunch. And why they did? Like, I don't think anyone of you would really need to ask this, because it's clear. How many more stories you need about devs sacrificing their health and their families for a damn videogame some of you guys need?

This isn't Jason talking out of his ass, it's direcly people inside CDPR trying to talk, and some other folks are trying to silence them. It's so incredibly gross that I just can't.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Yeah, so?

If you guys had your way, you'd ban me from even playing the game.

Or worse, arrest me for buying it
Yes I would arrest you for crimes against ethics. I think you need a break from social media dude. I don't think people should buy the game with how awful the games development is going(and being shitty to lgbtq groups now if you want to donate to charity I can recommend the trevor project as a good source to donate to). And like if you do get it I'll be a bit disappointed at best.

Edit: Real talk tho I think staff should lock this thread till there's more credible information available because right now I see people using this thread as a launching point for people to air their grievences against schrier.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Game Informer: "You know this whole 'the president is sick' story is completely overblown! The administration PR team reached out to us and set the record straight! Sounds like the media has an agenda to me!"
And be sure to check out our cover story on how well the president is and also remember to preorder the commemorative coin our parent company is selling!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
This thread and of course Twitter is just so fucking sad to read.

Like, some of the people here, stop literally 1 minute, and think, if Jason reported this, it's because people INSIDE CDProject Red gave him the info about crunch. And why they did? Like, I don't think anyone of you would really need to ask this, because it's clear. How many more stories you need about devs sacrificing their health and their families for a damn videogame some of you guys need?

This isn't Jason talking out of his ass, it's direcly people inside CDPR trying to talk, and some other folks are trying to silence them. It's so incredibly gross that I just can't.
Exactly. Game Informer didn't just call Jason a liar, but every one of his multiple sources who reached out and blew the whistle.

Fuck anyone that ignores the voices of workers.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck crunch culture. Pay them accordingly.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Alanah Pearce has specifically and repeatedly said that she is not going to review Cyberpunk and when she talks about the game it is strictly as an enthusiast and hype person, not as a journalist or critic. She went on and on about that way before it was revealed that she had a speaking role in the game. It could not be made any more clear than she's already done.

Alanah Pearce isn't the only influencer with an in-game character and a quest or two, there are at least three last i checked and may be more.

Besides, do you really believe those influencers won't put out any content for the game and completely distance themselves from it ?

Basically this is what my post was meant to highlight:

vvv

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
It's crazy to me how game developers haven't formed some sort of union or guild to protect themselves from insane crunch. It's not like there are talented game developers growing on trees. It is a very skilled position.

That's where I hope all this goes. Hopefully someday soon game developers organize and take a stand against the industry.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a little weird, but I'm real fucking side-eyeing someone calling Jason a "bully" specifically. I will give the slight benefit of the doubt that they don't have this context, but that is specifically what the gamers whining in his replies about being blocked (for... being gamers who are whining in people's replies!) call him constantly in an effort to seem like the bigger person. Or something. It comes across as a little pathetic that that's the word they went with.

Regardless... dude's not perfect but I do not understand trying to come at him on this. "Some devs enjoy crunch" is literally part of the problem! That some devs you talked to said it was cool does not disprove any information from those around them who feel pressured into overwork, and that pressure is sometimes because the other devs are cool with it.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much is "well paid" for people giving their lives to multimillion companies that are shit in management.
Oh, right. There is no equivalent.

Is "an immeasurable social pressure and crippling fear of being unemployed and with no opportunities in one's field" enough of a parallel to you?

No, it's not.

Signed: Someone working in a different industry with crunch due to people that thinks like that (And they end up doing it like a badge of honor among their peers. Guess how they end? With their mental and physical well-being compromised.)

Let the management be responsible for their ineptitude and the companies feel the consequences.

Why should we be creating excuses for the rich people that benefit from this toxic culture?

I'd be curious to see if everyone saying "crunch is bad" that has crunched is being paid for said crunch because I think that changes opinions on it measurably.

If you have to pay time and a half for every hour paid to every employee working excess of 40 hours than the management directly feels the consequences of their mismanagement precisely where it matters (the bottom line) and the employees gain from that.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alanah Pearce isn't the only influencer with an in-game character and a quest or two, there are at least three last i checked and may be more.

Besides, do you really believe those influencers won't put out any content for the game and completely distance themselves from it ?

Basically this is what my post was meant to highlight:

vvv

Can't believe some of you had a PROBLEM with Jason's tweet. Absolutely nothing wrong or unprofessional about it.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me how game developers haven't formed some sort of union or guild to protect themselves from insane crunch. It's not like there are talented game developers growing on trees. It is a very skilled position.
Actually I think a lot of the problem is that for the positions being most heavily abused there ARE basically game devs growing on trees. There's tons of bright eyed fresh out of school devs lining up to take over for any dev that gets injured or burnt out. The companies have little incentive not to just use you up and spit you out

Status
Not open for further replies.