• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch is generally caused by a project management failure somewhere along the way in a project, or by a project taking an unexpected curve while its being developed that can lead to a larger than planned workload. It can also be a result of someone higher up in the project deciding to scope creep the project and add more things to it.

Game development is also very similar to making a blockbuster movie - you are never really done, you just run out of time before it goes out the door. Due to this, some projects place priorities in the wrong places as they are being developed which can lead to crunch to get everything else done before a project officially releases. However, the problem with the modern video game industry is that games are never truly done these days. Old games used to be crunched on until they went gold and then oh well, the game was out the door and pressed, everyone else just has to live with it. Then patches were introduced as a regular thing, so now games go out the door and teams crunch on the day 1 patch and then everything else that needs to be fixed after that. DLC and GAAS are now a thing as well, so now when games go gold your teams work on day 1 patches, DLC and content to add regularly at a steady pace to keep player engagement high.

All of this has caused more value to be placed on employees who are willing to "lay down on the line" for the project and sacrifice themselves to get the project done. Except projects are truly never done now and game budgets keep rising, team sizes keep getting bigger and game features keep being added. This is the perfect cocktail for industry crunch to brew.

The other problem is that promotions within the video game industry are directly tied to how much you are willing to lay your life on the time for the project. Hell, at an outsourcing company, an internal game developer can request that anyone within the outsourcing company that isn't willing to crunch be removed from the project and replaced by people who will. This is just one example of how fucked up the balance of power can be in the industry and as mentioned before, someone who has a cushy job making over $75,000 may choose to crunch but then all the teams that work with them and all the employees under them must then crunch as well, because if they don't then the person choosing to crunch will run out of things to work on.

The other thing that makes crunch crunch is that it can go on for 6+ months if not years. I've seen other video game projects crunch for over a year, and its never optional due to the fact that choosing not to crunch will put your career progression and/or job stability in peril. And that's an even bigger problem in the video game industry due to the fact that many lower level employees are working in the industry because they are passionate about it and have been told repeatedly that if they suck it up and pay their dues then they will get promoted, just like one of their friends.

But yes, any sustained overtime can be considered crunch.

your posts are really insightful on this from a management perspective. thanks

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
User Warned - Hostility to fellow member (3 Day Threadban)
I've been to poland, I'm a teacher too, I also put in way more hours than I'm paid for.

But have YOU aver worked a full time job, that is not safe to keep? Where you're working strict time frames that are linked together with the schedules of many other people that work right next to you? Where you can't work from home and choose when to take all your breaks and where you don't have diverse tasks that sometimes require full attention and sometimes can repetitive-meditative where you can put a podcast? Where reading code and looking for bugs needs all your attention all the time and how crushing it can be if your solution didn't lead to the right results and you have to do it all over again, explain to colleagues and superiors why you are taking so long?

Really, get the fuck out with that attitude.
Yes actually I have. It was a little different, I was the lead of a merger/acquisition department. So you can GTFO with your shit.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I wonder when or if I get an answer from them

Just the other day I saw that Jason had dropped something from his backpack, and when I went to pick it up, I found out the malicious truth of his agenda

kqtzsF5.jpg

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign against Jason is so fucking transparent it's hilarious.

This industry really isn't equipped to deal with actual journalists existing in it.
And since he isn't working for a gaming specific outlet anymore but for big ass Bloomberg, he doesn't have to fear any kind of blacklisting

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
God, this forum gets so full of motivated reasoning when it comes to darling AAA video games. CDPR has been transphobic and super crunchy about this game. You can still want to buy it, just don't try to justify it by preetending everything is peachy in the background.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Regardless of what industry one chooses to work in, there will always be those who put in more time than others, paid or not. There will always be a manager who pressures their employees to go 110%. "Going above and beyond the call of duty" was once something to be celebrated, whereas now we shame it completely.

The truth is some choose to do it, others are pressured. Some get paid OT, others do not. Some have families that they're neglecting at home, others have no family other than those they work with.

This is not an issue of "good vs evil". Mandatory crunch is not something that should be celebrated, but is a complicated issue that should be reviewed on a case by case basis, with solutions brought forward that ensure the best outcome for all of the involved parties.

How is it our business to tell CDPR how much effort / time they should spend on a project that they're passionate about??

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Off, Game Informer looking really bad here. Straight shill territory.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Love it when someone (Paris) accuses someone else (Jason) of having an agenda while they themselves receive free shit from the company they're defending.

May 25, 2019
London
Well this is certainly an interesting take. Jason dropped facts based on comprehensive journalism across numerous sources/employees, and brought receipts. I'm not sure that there's much room to play victim here.

They seem to be whining that he doesn't engage them in a "conversation" on Twitter about his reporting or the situations he reports on, and makes liberal use of the block function. That's what they call toxic - the fact that he is essentially ignoring them.

The mob complaint is laughable. Don't want to get quote tweeted? Don't make the original tweet

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really curious to know how many of these people who work at outlets have done original reporting themselves vs rehashing an IGN article that's based on a press release or copy from a Game's website.

Deleted member 44828

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Crunch is generally caused by a project management failure somewhere along the way in a project, or by a project taking an unexpected curve while its being developed that can lead to a larger than planned workload. It can also be a result of someone higher up in the project deciding to scope creep the project and add more things to it.

Game development is also very similar to making a blockbuster movie - you are never really done, you just run out of time before it goes out the door. Due to this, some projects place priorities in the wrong places as they are being developed which can lead to crunch to get everything else done before a project officially releases. However, the problem with the modern video game industry is that games are never truly done these days. Old games used to be crunched on until they went gold and then oh well, the game was out the door and pressed, everyone else just has to live with it. Then patches were introduced as a regular thing, so now games go out the door and teams crunch on the day 1 patch and then everything else that needs to be fixed after that. DLC and GAAS are now a thing as well, so now when games go gold your teams work on day 1 patches, DLC and content to add regularly at a steady pace to keep player engagement high.

All of this has caused more value to be placed on employees who are willing to "lay down on the line" for the project and sacrifice themselves to get the project done. Except projects are truly never done now and game budgets keep rising, team sizes keep getting bigger and game features keep being added. This is the perfect cocktail for industry crunch to brew.

The other problem is that promotions within the video game industry are directly tied to how much you are willing to lay your life on the time for the project. Hell, at an outsourcing company, an internal game developer can request that anyone within the outsourcing company that isn't willing to crunch be removed from the project and replaced by people who will. This is just one example of how fucked up the balance of power can be in the industry and as mentioned before, someone who has a cushy job making over $75,000 may choose to crunch but then all the teams that work with them and all the employees under them must then crunch as well, because if they don't then the person choosing to crunch will run out of things to work on.

The other thing that makes crunch crunch is that it can go on for 6+ months if not years. I've seen other video game projects crunch for over a year, and its never optional due to the fact that choosing not to crunch will put your career progression and/or job stability in peril. And that's an even bigger problem in the video game industry due to the fact that many lower level employees are working in the industry because they are passionate about it and have been told repeatedly that if they suck it up and pay their dues then they will get promoted, just like one of their friends.

Ah perfect. Thanks Thanatos. As I'm not aware of most things in English, I can only apology to misunderstand or not do my work to understand the meaning of crunch.

I think most people in "defense" of crunch do not know this, and they are talking about personal overtime, not crunch.

My apology and thanks again!

edit: Some mod should threadmark this post from Thanatos. It's really good.

Last edited:

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is that a fact, or an assumption?

I work in big IT-projects and I know that in the end I need to work double hours to finish the job, mostly unpaid.
Okay... buckle up. Time to explain how cert and gold work these days.

Cert/FQA/Lot Check are important milestones, because they ensure that the game meets standards on all of the different console platforms on which the game will appear. This checks for stuff like "Do you use the correct button icons?" and "Do all your achievements/trophies work?" and "Does your game interface with the operating system for boot and shut down properly."

This process is LONG checklist, but it does not mean the game is done. It means it passes MVP (minimum viable product) standards set forth by the platform holders. It doesn't mean the game is at the quality the developer or publisher wants for launch.

Almost every studio relies on day one patches, even on PC. Many review games on PC come with a review branch password so reviewers can access the build and it can be updated on the road to launch. Cyberpunk isn't going to be any different. This is what happens between "gold" (a term that no longer has much meaning) and launch.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Lot of people here hiding behind the "What if they love what they're doing and want to work 60 hours" bullshit.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm not defending chronic crunch...60-80+ hour weeks for years. Obviously that's not a healthy work culture, but it's also not unheard of. Doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers...many of them work hours like this. Not all though. An investment banker is going to put in 100+ hour weeks, a biglawyer at a top firm will be required to put in 60-70+. A high performing neurosurgeon may put in just as much...these people are all free to leave those professions if they don't like it, and many do - attrition is incredibly high. But there's a reason why they have to work so long and it comes down to extremely specialized knowledge and relationships and work that is not easily divisible.

I also don't think that working over 40 for extended periods of time is bad or a failing of management. Creative processes are less defined and more chaotic by nature.

The problem that you are kind of glossing over is that doctors, lawyers, bankers and engineers make $100,000+ a year in many cases.

Game development crunch impacts the lowest level (often outsourced) employees the most, who are crunching at $20,000 a year and are likely in school or working a job just to make ends meet. These are the people being exploited the most, and these are the people who, if they don't work on the project until it launches, are scrubbed from the credits and/or never credited to begin with.

So yes, its absolutely a failure of management and its always bad, because crunch in the video game industry trickles down and hurts people at the bottom the most.

They should take this majority of people that want to work on saturdays, develop a plan and get as much shit done till release as possible. If it comes out buggy then so be it.

Isn't most of the work so shortly before release just fixing as much stuff as possible?

Yes but the act of fixing things shortly before release generally means major code cannot be fucked with. It also means that if QA finds, say, an art bug that causes seizures in some people or say, the ability to block all progress in the game shortly before launch, the teams behind those mechanics and systems, even if they don't want to crunch, suddenly have to to get it fixed and/or remove it before launch.

Thats kind of the problem, teams underestimate/undershoot how much time they'll actually need to fix bugs because they've been so busy trying to just make a game. It's also why the common way to fix bugs shortly before launch is either by removing the feature entirely if it isn't core or by slapping a "Will not fix" label on it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I love all the talk of "agenda" without these people actually naming said agenda. I guess that might make them look bad.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck is up with CDPR that even some press put their tongue deep in CDPR's asses?

Like, the fuck is this spinning in OP's video?

This is shameless.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
On the GameInformer show they addresed the Crunch subject at CD Projekt Red, and one of the hosts said that people at CD didn't agreed with the way the story was spread and they choose to do the overtime work.
Honestly I don't know what to think about this, it could be true, but this is a sensitive topic and I trust Jason's work so...I will wait for the next episodes.
Didn't Alanah do the same thing about the ND articles? Her conversations with the devs there returned the same responses.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't even tag anyone. Using "toxic" in this way is fucking shameful.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The saddest part of the displays of half-assed volunteer corporate apologism must be the complete lack of self-awareness.

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

YES! This is a great post.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The saddest part of the displays of half-assed volunteer corporate apologism must be the complete lack of self-awareness.
Cynical me says these people wholly understand what they're doing. They recognize that for most in the "games journalism" space, this kind of coverage is a stepping stone to working PR for these large companies in the future.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Really great posts about project management! Completely agree with everything you've said.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
They were crunching before these final stages of development. It's just "mandatory now". Can't believe people go out of their way to defend these multi mil/bil companies.

Here's some context from someone actually living in that country.

Damn that thread is an eye opener. Gotta spotlight a section a couple down from there.

Last edited:

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
What is this "agenda" Jason has that they keep going on about? Being pro-worker?

I'm not the biggest fan of everything Jason has said or done but these tweets reek of bootlicking

Feb 23, 2019
The problem that you are kind of glossing over is that doctors, lawyers, bankers and engineers make $100,000+ a year in many cases.

Game development crunch impacts the lowest level (often outsourced) employees the most, who are crunching at $20,000 a year are likely in school or working a job just to make ends meet. These are the people being exploited the most, and these are the people who, if they don't work on the project until it launches, are scrubbed from the credits and/or never credited to begin with.

So yes, its absolutely a failure of management and its always bad, because crunch in the video game industry trickles down and hurts people at the bottom the most.

Yes but the act of fixing things shortly before release generally means major code cannot be fucked with. It also means that if QA finds, say, an art bug that causes seizures in some people or say, the ability to block all progress in the game shortly before launch, the teams behind those mechanics and systems, even if they don't want to crunch, suddenly have to to get it fixed and/or remove it before launch.

Thats kind of the problem, teams underestimate/undershoot how much time they'll actually need to fix bugs because they've been so busy trying to just make a game. It's also why the common way to fix bugs shortly before launch is either by removing the feature entirely if it isn't core or by slapping a "Will not fix" label on it.

I don't think this is generally true in the video game industry anymore.

Many of them are quite well compensated, given overtime pay, and are paid a bonus.

The estimated bonus CDPR employees stand to make this year from profit sharing is $50k per employee in addition to their base pay.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is certainly an interesting take. Jason dropped facts based on comprehensive journalism across numerous sources/employees, and brought receipts. I'm not sure that there's much room to play victim here.
"Sends his followers". People just don't get it (or they do not want to get it).

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Game development crunch impacts the lowest level (often outsourced) employees the most, who are crunching at $20,000 a year and are likely in school or working a job just to make ends meet. These are the people being exploited the most, and these are the people who, if they don't work on the project until it launches, are scrubbed from the credits and/or never credited to begin with.

Game development is chaotic.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I get what you're going for here, but two things can be bad at the same time. No need for whataboutism. The journalist in question covers video games and developers and that's his expertise. I do feel like the plight of Uighurs has been in the news and is a serious problem but doesn't need to stop all conversation about workplace labor issues.
We both agree crunch is wrong. If I come off as dismissive of crunch I apologize.

Where else can I even bring up this topic anyway. Slave labor in China has been completely avoided.

Any chance I get I'm going to bring it up. I'm going to bring it up in every topic where we talk about games journalism.

You can call it whataboutism.....that's not the intention.

Dec 31, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalization; Unions do not Encourage Laziness
No one has the ability to turn down crunch without impacting their future promotions, career growth, reputation and/or future employment.

Case in point: I live in Montreal and I crunched on a video game for over 80 hours a week for two months straight. There are 30+ game developers in Montreal and yet employees crossover between companies all the time so when I interviewed somewhere else I was told (and later offered the job) that they had heard how much I was willing to sacrifice on projects and was a reliable and dependable employee because of that.

I got a job (and unquestionably got promotions too) because I was willing to crunch. I saw people around me who were also crunching fail out of school, lose loved ones and/or burn themselves out crunching.

Crunch is never an option.
I'd say it's like that in any industry though, the more time you dedicate to your employer/organization, the better you will be seen as you are showing dedication, there is nothing wrong with that and of course it should somewhat affect your career growth as when it's time for promotions you will always be compared to your peers, and no one would choose the person who works less, especially if the people you are comparing are just as efficient. I manage people and dedication is an actual thing we look at and on which I am being looked at as well.

I work in a field where deadlines can't be pushed back and where crunch is often forced, I've done 36-48 hour shifts more times than I can count (and I have a fixed salary so no extra income in my case), but nothing is stopping me from leaving my job. I have a wife of 15 years now and kids by the way so it's not like I don't have a family life to attend to.

In the end, business is business, and it's totally understandable. And after seeing a few places with unions (just look at Canada Post for a good example of how bad it can get and how much of your hard earned money is wasted there) and see how easy people have it, how well they are paid yet how ineffective they are in general, I can't say I agree with the idea of unions everywhere to protect workers. Imo, it encourages laziness as they tend to overprotect, but that is what I have more commonly seen in my career before my current job. I've mostly worked in government jobs though where I don't like to see taxpayer money go to waste so maybe it's different elsewhere.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Also, lawyer here: " crunch " in the law is a deeply toxic system whereby a few people are made very wealthy by the labor of the many. Big law firms chew up 20 something-year-old kids and spit them out. They literally hire dozens of associates with the intent that most of them will burn out. And then they hire a new set and do it over again. It's an incredibly immoral practice that ruins lives.

The idea that crunch is only video games or that it's okay is the stupidest thing ever.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Deserved or not. The tweet Jason did to Parris was basically a hit piece. So Jason isn't above being criticized for sending toxic people at people.

I guess Nick not lying?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

That makes sense, but then what is the suggested fix for that? How can the need for crunch be prevented? Better management is easy to say but especially creative projects are hard to time and shit always comes up in the end. Then some say delays just lead to more crunch. So to me it seems like we either need to stop producing games that big and complex or be fine with a whole of bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.